Lasher Balancing

W

Will

Originally posted by Manic Miner
tbh, i think a good idea would be to nerf everything, or buff all armour and health.
But then again, buffing health would make snipers and infiltrators virtually useless. From my point of view, its bad enough having to stab people three times before they drop. I'd never get five in befor they turn and kill me.

M

Manic Miner

Originally posted by Will.
But then again, buffing health would make snipers and infiltrators virtually useless. From my point of view, its bad enough having to stab people three times before they drop. I'd never get five in befor they turn and kill me.

infil's have there uses but they're virutally useless as attackers - i can't recall the last time i was fragged by an infil.

take your point about snipers though, maybe buff them at the same time, but still a two shot kill. although, it would make advanced aiming even more usefull so you could pick out players with minimum health :)

W

Will

infil's have there uses but they're virutally useless as attackers - i can't recall the last time i was fragged by an infil.
You never met me then.;)

T

Turamber

Slightly back to topic ... Reading the official forums the lasher now seems to be less effective than the pre-buff lasher ! How silly is that? :eek:

Perhaps giving it an AP mode like the pulsar and beamer would be the best solution?

U

Uriron

it just would be nice to live longer on occasions so that you can manage to return fire once in a while rather than just die respawn die respawn.

That statement reminds me of the DAoC complaints about how RvR combat was always over too fast (mez = death) :) It seems to be difficult to balance a game so you can kill stuff but also survive a bit longer than 5 seconds.

I have noticed that with the engineer and medic certs you can last a lot longer if you are patient enough to attack, pull back, heal, attack etc.. rather than just pile in to certain death.

One thing that would be nice is if you didn't die instantly when a vehicle passes within 10 feet of you, maybe you should suffer 50% damage to health and armour. This would allow you to find cover, heal yourself or at least fire back. This would also slow down grief point accruals due to accidental road killing :) it would also then force the tank drivers to either pick up gunners or at least be a bit more choosy as to who they try to run over.

W

Will

Originally posted by Turamber
Slightly back to topic ... Reading the official forums the lasher now seems to be less effective than the pre-buff lasher ! How silly is that? :eek:

Perhaps giving it an AP mode like the pulsar and beamer would be the best solution?
I doubt many of the whiners have actually played on the test server.

F

Faeldawn

Get melee booster, silly boy :)

2-hit kill any trooper :)

P

[PS]Venom

You never met me then.;)

Or me. Useless as attackers?

Hehe.

Methinks he's only had noobfils after him.

Mm or me on a bad day trying to stab people with REKS :/

W

Will

Originally posted by Faeldawn
Get melee booster, silly boy :)

2-hit kill any trooper :)
I have it. 3 hit.

Though a boomer is only 1 hit.;)

M

Manic Miner

the game must be full of n00b infil's then cos i can't remember the last time ... :)

i am one of those hackers/squadies who constantly uses dark light and feels naked without it. i'll always search for infil's before i start a hack.

i also tend to use the shield implant a lot if i'm standing still hacking which gives me a chance against any surging infil or even regular troupers. dunno how well it would last against a boomer, i must try.

regards,

W

Will

I really doubt it would last against a boomer. Though if you are hacking, I'd go for the backstab anyway.

The key thing for infil's is to remember you are not a ninja killing machine. You need to pick and choose your targets. People hacking, snipers, and tanks are my personal favourites.

E

Esoteric

Anyone tried the new lasher on the test server? PLease post thoughts here :D

F

Faeldawn

I really doubt it would last against a boomer. Though if you are hacking, I'd go for the backstab anyway.

The key thing for infil's is to remember you are not a ninja killing machine. You need to pick and choose your targets. People hacking, snipers, and tanks are my personal favourites.

Tanks?

F

Faeldawn

Two mines, and a boomer inbetween.;)

Aha, was wondering if you meant stalking tanks and stabbing the drivers when they get out :)

S

shilak

The devs indicated in one of the posts that the new new Lasher can kill MAXs in roughly the same time as the JH and MCG currently can, and that was assuming the JH/MCG users had AP ammo already loaded.

At the moment the Lasher is simply overpowered versus armoured targets, I always dump my JH to get a Lasher when I can now as it is so damn good.

Ive killed several reavers with them (not just stationary ones), a magrider with gunner (by using base walls to my advantage), won solo versus 2 MAXs, cleared a CC of a DC MAX and 3 TR troops in under 2 clips. All of these are things that would not of been possible with a JH or MCG.

The JH and MCG seem fairly well balanced at the moment and I look forward to trying out the new Lasher and seeing how it compares.

R

Rigon-Noir-

Originally posted by old.Hellskor
1 Lasher ain't a problem, 10+ are (in the open). Atleast you can take cover from a JH or MCG behind a rock or something... try that with a Lasher.

What you on about, you can take cover from anything behind a rock, the complaint is regarding the damage and tbh if if balances the game then i, like most other are happy.

As for dodging a JH, unlikley mate, the ROF makes it almost impossible to get away from and a lot (mostly players who have no idea how to use it) just rattle of shots in any direction if an infil is within range, which means certain death no matter how good you are at using stealth.

COF reduction on MCG means they have the longest ranged weapon and at close quarters, straffing with a chain gun, say for instance in one of the corridors in a base causes imense damage.

I'm not moaning, like i say, if any changes balance the game then im all for it. When i see posts like "i'm not fighting VS anymore now they've had the lasher upgraded is just lame"

I didn't see one NC JH user step out and agree the Jackhammer was overpowered when PS kicked off, your all out now tho.

S

Spinky

If the Lasher can kill a max unit as fast as a JH or MCG (with ap ammo of course) then i really wouldn't see a problem with placing a secondary ap mode on the lasher, with maybe a 4-5 second delay for the thing to 'charge' as it were into the secondary mode and back to primary (to match however long it takes to load ap ammo into the JH/MCG).

Heck, if people still aren't happy with that then create an ap ammo box for Vanu to use, i don't know, a blue lightning box maybe oO (Although that idea sort of defeats the point of having a single weapon standard ammo type)

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Spinky
If the Lasher can kill a max unit as fast as a JH or MCG (with ap ammo of course) then i really wouldn't see a problem with placing a secondary ap mode on the lasher, with maybe a 4-5 second delay for the thing to 'charge' as it were into the secondary mode and back to primary (to match however long it takes to load ap ammo into the JH/MCG).

Heck, if people still aren't happy with that then create an ap ammo box for Vanu to use, i don't know, a blue lightning box maybe oO (Although that idea sort of defeats the point of having a single weapon standard ammo type)

If Vanu are forced to go through the same process that NC and TR have to go thru to change ammo type they would adopt the same attitude that NC and TR HW users do and dont bother carrying AP ammo.

Generic ammo is a Vanu perk, like being immune to Lasher splash damage, NC and TR have the equivalent perk in that they are not purple :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Originally posted by Faeldawn
If Vanu are forced to go through the same process that NC and TR have to go thru to change ammo type they would adopt the same attitude that NC and TR HW users do and dont bother carrying AP ammo.

Eh i carry ap ammo everywhere with me. Maxs hate jackhammers and AP ammo :cool:

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking.
Eh i carry ap ammo everywhere with me. Maxs hate jackhammers and AP ammo :cool:

I used to carry a crate, but found i was never using it, everytime i encountered a MAX i would use my phoenix or deci and sling the JH.

You started playing again?

Guess its back to the good old days of dodge-the-vanguard then :)

L

Loveless

Pretty sad - developers bending to the weight of whinges on the official forum. If anyone gets killed by the lasher in the open then they have to be blind or afk ... maybe both.

People just aren't used to being killed by VS specific weapons :m00:

Lol you obviously havnt played DAOC D:

But the changes sound reasonable :clap: :clap: :clap:

M

mid_Efour

the lasher will still be a formidable weapon.

I hope loads of VS cry so much that they drop HA before they even test it for real.

T

Turamber

Originally posted by Loveless
Lol you obviously havnt played DAOC D:

But the changes sound reasonable :clap: :clap: :clap:

(1) Played DAOC for 18 months, have seen the buff/nerf cycle a plenty and, yes, Mythic are an excellent example of a company that doesn't have a clear conception of how to balance it's own game. My fears from the lasher buff then immediate nerf "fixes" are that Sony don't have a clue either.

(2) I don't use lasher, but it seems to me if they are going to nerf the armour damage they should put an AP mode on the lasher and reduce ROF for it. Also the damage drop off seems excessive imo.

Reverting to the original, pre-boost, lasher maybe preferable as at least that way it required some skill from the user.

F

Faeldawn

Reverting to the original, pre-boost, lasher maybe preferable as at least that way it required some skill from the user.

The old lasher was significantly inferior to JH and MCG and needed a boost, there is no question about that, problem is that SOE cant seem to agree on how exactly to boost it.

D

Deadmanwalking

No they can agree and they do agree. But that's not always what's best. And if they did it your way it would be "We think it needs to own everything alive" and then not test/evaluate it.

E

Esoteric

HA cert for all realms won't be so important with the new llu patch. HA is great indoors but non are so great outdoors unless you have a zerg comin you can't spray and pray (well successfully). Skills using MA, snipering and AV will be the new kings, atm Im looting Cyclers like a whore. Infs may even have a decent use, its easy to comb a base using DL but the great outdoors mmm bit harder ;).

Users who are viewing this thread