Kill Bill

K

-KnoX-

What's not original about the matrix? Personally I still don't get the complete thing about the one and that stuff. The robots are just part of it. The story behind it is original.

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by Tom
Matrix original? Whats so original about robots taking over the world and enslaving mankind?

imo the last original film to appear was Citizen Kane. IMO.

Your just taking a contrary position to make yourself look clever. OK, I'll bite (at random):

1. Terminator - show me a film before this about killer robots from the future.
2. Jurassic Park. Show me a film before this about a cloned dinosaur theme park (and a robot theme park from the same author doesn't count).
3. The Truman Show. Show me a film before this about a guy who lives his entire life as an unwitting part of a TV series.
4. Dogma. Show me a film before this about renegade angels trying to get back into heaven through a catholic loophole.

M

Meatballs

You could probably find a book for nearly every film, where the plot resembles the storyline. But when you look at a film, theres much more to them that can make them original other than their plot. The bullet time in the matrix was original, computer animation in toystory, even the deep focus scenes in Citizen Kane were a new achievement at the time...

K

-KnoX-

Originally posted by DaGaffer
4. Dogma. Show me a film before this about renegade angels trying to get back into heaven through a catholic loophole. [/B]

Wasn't "the prophecy" about the dark andel gabriel who wanted to get back in heaven by killing a small boy? Or something like that. I saw a long time ago and my memory doesn't serve me very well so forgive me if i'm completely off track.

T

Tom

I'm talking mainly about the way films are constructed. I haven't seen anything of late that makes me think 'wow! that's original'

The closest anything came to that was probably Reservoir Dogs, and maybe U-Turn.

L

leggy

Original?

Originally shit. That's about all I'll say for U-turn. They made it really bad in a completely original way.

T

Tom

I didn't say it was good, just that I thought it was different.

Anyway, I did think it was good, but not something I'd watch again and again.

B

Big G

David Lynch's Eraser Head, now that's original (and very truly weird). Indeed, he also did Dune which was original (someones mentioned that i see).

G

I

isuck

Hrm.

I've seen KB three times now for an unknown reason and I think its a great film. I'm not sure about the story being taken from some other movie involving a Bride, but apparently Quentin and Uma created the character sitting in a pub one day on the set of Pulp Fiction. The idea got shelved and when Q finally wanted to do it Uma got herself duffed up so couldnt. He waited, they did it, it rocks.

As for the Clint Eastwood film in which the towns folk hire him to protect them against some very evil men that are due to be released from jail its called High plains drifter. He gets them to paint the whole town red, and it turns out he was attacked by the men before they got sent to jail.

In 'For a fistfull of dollars' he plays two rival gangs in the town against each other. He gets most of both gangs wiped out then gets his head kicked in, escapes town, recovers, and goes back and kills all thats left.

As for Seven Samurai and the Magnificent Seven, i thought both movies were excellent although I prefered Samurai just for the sword play and the lunatic who ran off into enemy lines to get one of the rifles from them.

One last thought... 'Stop blowing holes in my ship!!'

isuck.

M

Meatballs

Originally posted by Big G
David Lynch's Eraser Head, now that's original (and very truly weird). Indeed, he also did Dune which was original (someones mentioned that i see).

G

Mullholland drive is a headfuck o-O

O

osy

Mulholland Drive is a book in which the chapters are mixed up, and the lines must be read from right to left. Also, a brilliant movie.

Now, onto Kill Bill.

Uma is ok. Not 'wow' not 'sucky', but ok. Going back in the movie, I don't think there's a scene where I would want her to play different. Except that she could have kissed Liu ;)

Japan, Samurai, Swords, Bushido, Revenge. I really liked this in the movie, as I have a thing for ancient Japan and everything there is to it. James Clavell and all. You have to understand that QT is not trying to respect reality, by creating movies about it. That's what wonderful about his little worlds that he creates in each movie. And the little cartoonish side, well, I guess he wanted to give something to everyone watching the movie.

Plot. Pretty basic and straight forward, nothing to decipher, nothing to work your brains on. Revealing happenings in the time_wait manner is just QT's way. And it's working.

Don't know what you guys expected from this movie. It's no Pulp Fiction, and it sure as hell ain't Reservoir Dogs. Even it's naming unveils the movie. It tells you what to expect, but it doesn't spoil it.

edit: Damn, how did I forget it. Wonderful soundtrack. From Nancy Sinatra to the japanese songs and closing with Zamfir's tune. Absolutely great. (already downloaded it)

A

Aussie-

Anyone who has seen the anime Samourai X - Kenshi Runouni knows Kill Bill is a complete rip off.

N

nath

Anyone who has any sense at all can see that Kill Bill is a homage to a great many films, and so the term "rip off" doesn't really apply as it didn't really claim to be original.. except for the fact that it was such modern big budget film shot in such a old low budget movie style.

W

Wij

Originally posted by Meatballs
Mullholland drive is a headfuck o-O

Nah - it's easy to work out compared to Lost Highway and Eraserhead :)

The lezzing helps tho :)

A

Aussie-

Originally posted by nath
homage to a great many films

woah, like how many people know this when they watch that movie. Nothing more then a Cheap excuse .Imo, the movie is 99% the same as Samourai X anime, except the story which is a bit different.

L

leggy

Originally posted by Aussie-
the movie is 99% the same as Samourai X anime, except the story which is a bit different.

99% the same, apart from the story?

You're insinuating that the plot of a film accounts for just 1%?

Pls fuck off.

N

nath

As I said, anyone who has the slightest clue about recent films will know that Kill Bill was MEANT to be an homage to these old cheap tacky chop socky films. And if that wasn't painfully obvious from the get go, the first revenge scene with uma and the black girl where the cameras zoom in to the eyeballs should make it so.

D

doh_boy

Just to re-iterate naths point.

IMDB

In order to achieve the specific look of Chinese "wuxia" (martial arts) film of the 1970s, Tarantino gave director of photography, Robert Richardson, an extensive list of genre films as a crash-course in the visual style they used. The list included films by genre-pioneers Cheh Chang and the Shaw Brothers. Tarantino also forbade the use of digital effects and "professional" gags and squibs. As such, he insisted that bloody spurts be done in the fashion made popular by Chang Cheh: Chinese condoms full of fake blood that would splatter on impact.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom