just noticed....

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Playing a bit of devils advocate here, but maybe the reasons the live game is hardly getting updated is because the majority of DAoC's players don't pay subs so Mythic can hire a decent set of developers? :)

The more people that starts up on freeshards instead of on the official servers the less money Mythic gets to do anything with the game.

So yeah, the game isn't all that any more, but don't lay all the blame on Mythic.
lol they are getting around $100k a month as it is.. they don't really need any more, it's just EA being greedy..

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
lol they are getting around $100k a month as it is.. they don't really need any more, it's just EA being greedy..

$100k isn't getting them very far though. Were not just talking server upkeep here. Devs need a salary and all the costs that brings.

Look at Freeshards the guy who single-handledly works on the Eden Database, he doesn't make a direct salary off the game (sure he makes some cash from donations and such) and the work that he does is immense, he's added so much custom stuff into the game that would blow your mind, brand new zones etc.

Basically, what I'm trying to get at is that he's doing it on his own, and yet I bet EA have loads of developers sitting their picking their noses doing absolutely fuck all, Adam brings a patch out every week, EA do it every 4-5 months.

Sack all the DAOC staff, employ Adam, DAOC would be 100% better.

I think OD could back me up on the amount of DB work he's done.

Yeah, it's nowhere near that simple...

He's an enthusiastic fanboy doing this of his own free will (not meant as an insult), not a company that needs to make money to pay for all the expenses like salary, employment taxes, insurances or whatever....

And no, DAoC wouldn't be much better if he worked for Mythic because THEY still decide what to do with the game.

So if freeshard people started to subscribe to the game, it would result in that Mythic gets more money so they can hire more developers so they can make more and bigger updates.

Because playing on those freeshards will guaranteed not help Mythic make DAoC a better game.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
$100k isn't getting them very far though. Were not just talking server upkeep here. Devs need a salary and all the costs that brings.

They have said quite a few times that there are only two actual developers working on the game... they won't be getting more than say.. $50-60k (and that is pushing it!) ... 60 / 12 = $5k a month.. * 2 = 10k a month..

They have no artists on the team which are getting paid monthly.. (when was the last time DAoC had new art???) ..

The servers won't cost more than 5-8k dollars MAXIMUM per month, and that's a really high fee... then there are probably literally 3 support people on $30k a year which is 2.5k a month so 7.5k a month..

They don't advertise the game, so no costs for that..

So that's a total of 25.5k a month spent out of the 100k they are getting from subs.

There isn't a huge team working there any more.. you can tell that by Kai Schober (the Community Manager at BioWare) having to do all the posts on DAoC Herald..

So Kai Schober is the dude who looks after the website, the PRODUCER OF DAOC and the Community Manager of BioWare..

It's a complete and utter shambles.. EA are probably taking all the profit and spending it on getting some fools to create new 1 day DLC for Mass Effect 4!

EA don't care about the game, they were just interested in the Warhammer franchise which flopped hardcore..

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
So if freeshard people started to subscribe to the game, it would result in that Mythic gets more money so they can hire more developers so they can make more and bigger updates.

I pity you.

EA own Mythic you know? - that means, no, you're completely wrong, they'll make as much money as they can from the sinking ship.

Nibble

Part of the furniture
EA voted worst company in america.. though ive just noticed my +1

Dossi

Regular Freddie
GW2 beta this weekend, anyone interested in grouping up and nerding aaaaarrrdd?!

/Mocski

Logi

Part of the furniture
GW2 beta this weekend, anyone interested in grouping up and nerding aaaaarrrdd?!

/Mocski

I would, but i cannot log in, impossible it seems, almost makes me regret buying the game.

Logi

Part of the furniture
It will be just another game you suck dick @ :)

/mocski

Mmmmm me carrying you with my menta in our duo made you dellusional of ur skill it seems....

:)

Gwadien

Mmmmm me carrying you with my menta in our duo made you dellusional of ur skill it seems....

:)

don't go to GW, we'll miss you, William is shit at warlock! :p

Albs set up a Legion raid earlier, they had like 2 fg, Jim, William and I bombed them, haha

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
I don't know how the gaming industry works, but in many areas...if you want to develop something, you risk alot of cash up front which may or may not pay out depending if your idea is successful. Which kind of gives you the right to cream the cash a bit later on as you risked the money on R&D in the frist place. The arguement that Mythic or wtf they are called this week, don't deserve to get subs for a 10 year old game is riduculous. The game could very well have gone down the pan after 2years, but it didn't and fair play to them. Freeshards basically pick up on an idea which is already successful without taking on any of the risk - while I see they have a niche, the is nothing so morally wonderful about them.

Gwadien

I don't know how the gaming industry works, but in many areas...if you want to develop something, you risk alot of cash up front which may or may not pay out depending if your idea is successful. Which kind of gives you the right to cream the cash a bit later on as you risked the money on R&D in the frist place. The arguement that Mythic or wtf they are called this week, don't deserve to get subs for a 10 year old game is riduculous. The game could very well have gone down the pan after 2years, but it didn't and fair play to them. Freeshards basically pick up on an idea which is already successful without taking on any of the risk - while I see they have a niche, the is nothing so morally wonderful about them.

I think my argument is the flip side of yours, I'm happy to pay subs, for a good game, with a good community, and it's worth the money, but tbh, I find freeshards is alot more fun in general, and it's free, I don't see why I should pay for a game (Which in my view) isn't worth paying subs for...

There's things they can do it to sort it out, but they won't do it, because it'll be too drastic measures.

I mean, asif editing the relics did anything to help?

Nibble

Part of the furniture
if u play solo then no, if u have a good /as or guiild that u can run 8man n do well then ye

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I pity you.

EA own Mythic you know? - that means, no, you're completely wrong, they'll make as much money as they can from the sinking ship.

Sure they do, as any company more or less would.

Just look at Cryptic and STO for a prime example of that. Yes that game is F2P now but before that Cryptic spent more time making C-store items then actual content. :)

And i'm not arguing that EA is a shitty company, i'm arguing that if people that play on freeshards subscribe to DAoC the game might actually get some decent stuff added to it. As it is now though it's pretty much guaranteed that it won't.

And Kaitanz, if your gonna pull figures, include all of it, like rent, electricity bills and all that stuff EA isn't paying for. :)

But there's no point in that really as Mythic hasn't released any figures since 2010, so it would all be speculation anyway. And we're speculating enough as it is... :p

Gwadien

Ctu, I mean your theory that if we pay more into EA we'll get more, that's like saying you're gonna pay more taxes and receive more ;)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Mmm, well yes.. how on earth do you think MMO's operate Gwadien? More money = more CEO/Board interest = more budget = more staff = more content = better game

Freeshards = entice players away from subscribing "Play for free on our shit heavily modded server, its riddled with speed hackers, bug abusers and power abusing GM's - also we'll start crying for donation help to keep the server running but will inevitably fail and have to close the server after a matter of months" = less money for greedy CEO that could potentially grant a bigger budget to the plebs left at Mythic ultimately resulting in a better game/more content updates/patches etc.

Gwadien

Mmm, well yes.. how on earth do you think MMO's operate Gwadien? More money = more money for the developers from EA *Handshake well done for getting subscriptions, here's your bonus*
Freeshards = Having fun, for free, with people that can't play 24/7​

Fixed.

I'm gonna stop downloading Justin Bieber torrents, because if I buy his CD's he'll make better music.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Only difference is what I said is supported by facts Gwadien, all you have to do is look at any successful MMO with a healthy subs base.

As for the music you just can't compare the two, not even on the same planet let alone the same playing field.

Gwadien

Only difference is what I said is supported by facts Gwadien, all you have to do is look at any successful MMO with a healthy subs base.

As for the music you just can't compare the two, not even on the same planet let alone the same playing field.
Its more like, oh look, we got a health subs base, lets bring out expansions to make more money

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
And Kaitanz, if your gonna pull figures, include all of it, like rent, electricity bills and all that stuff EA isn't paying for. :)

Peanuts, absolute peanuts compared to the other stuff.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Mmm, well yes.. how on earth do you think MMO's operate Gwadien? More money = more CEO/Board interest = more budget = more staff = more content = better game

Freeshards = entice players away from subscribing "Play for free on our shit heavily modded server, its riddled with speed hackers, bug abusers and power abusing GM's - also we'll start crying for donation help to keep the server running but will inevitably fail and have to close the server after a matter of months" = less money for greedy CEO that could potentially grant a bigger budget to the plebs left at Mythic ultimately resulting in a better game/more content updates/patches etc.
There really is no excuse, come on, there have been hardly any updates in the last 5 years (since the New New Frontiers update).. they have made millions of dollars in that time, that money simply does not disappear...

It's a bullshit excuse that if there were no freeshards and those people were forced to play live then there'd probably be more updates.. there wouldn't be at all....

If EA Mythic really wanted to get subs back they would spend some of that cash on creating a new enticing expansion which draws back players attention.. pretty much what Blizzard do with WoW EVERY YEAR...

They're just milking the game for everything it's worth now, and spending about maybe 2-3 hours a week working on the actual updates between everyone at Mythic.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Ok, let me start by saying no one said if Freeshards werent there people would go flocking back to DAOC subs servers, what was actually said if you read it was "Freeshards = entice players away from subscribing"

And as for how much Mythic have raked in over the years:

Its not as much as your thinking it is Keitanz

Rough numbers given exchange rates etc etc

£9 x 12 = 108
108x10000 = £1,080,000 / $1,753,313
x5 years
= £5,400,000 / $8,766,185

Take out of that:

Server running/maintenance costs x5 years
Staff salary x5 years
Taxes x5 years
Whatever the CEO/Board want to take x5 years

Doesnt leave alot left to make expansions/pay for more staff to work on content, especially considering that 10000 is none existent and the proper playerbase is probably not even over 4000 now.

To make an expansion you'd need:

Alot more staff than they currently have
Animators
Riggers
Designers

etc etc etc, the list goes on... its not as cheap to churn out expansions than you think it is Keitanz.

Everz

FH is my second home
Ok, let me start by saying no one said if Freeshards werent there people would go flocking back to DAOC subs servers, what was actually said if you read it was "Freeshards = entice players away from subscribing"

And as for how much Mythic have raked in over the years:

Its not as much as your thinking it is Keitanz

Rough numbers given exchange rates etc etc

£9 x 12 = 108
108x10000 = £1,080,000 / $1,753,313
x5 years
= £5,400,000 / $8,766,185

Take out of that:

Server running/maintenance costs x5 years
Staff salary x5 years
Taxes x5 years
Whatever the CEO/Board want to take x5 years

Doesnt leave alot left to make expansions/pay for more staff to work on content, especially considering that 10000 is none existent and the proper playerbase is probably not even over 4000 now.

To make an expansion you'd need:

Alot more staff than they currently have
Animators
Riggers
Designers

etc etc etc, the list goes on... its not as cheap to churn out expansions than you think it is Keitanz.

Most expansions were stolen from the Shards.

Catacombs, Vampiir 'class, Horses, Champion Levels etc etc.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Ohh you mean the amount they missed out on? Or ie. 10000 is the number on the Freeshards?

10000 being a pure example as in "this is how much they could have had" when the number is clearly around 1.5-3k tops now thus their income isnt anywhere near that 10000 mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom