james bond.

S

scooby-doo

have just seen the new bond film and thought it was pretty good.
and i was wondering now that pierce is coming to the end of his reign who would you think/like to be the next bond?i myself cant think who i'd rather have than the man brosnan.

D

Daffeh

i think Graham Norton would make a good James Bond

D

dysfunction

I was expecting the film to be a lot better than it was...

I guess with all the hype surrounding it etc my expectations were built up too much....which is why I dont like watching the previews etc...

B

bigbb

I thought it was utter shit, tbh. The worst Bond film in an age. Completely Americanised and patronising in that. The car chase was dreadful, you don't take an Aston Martin Vanquish for a pursuit on a slab of ice. The photography was fancy and energetic, but it lacked real engagement without tight roads and town streets. The chase inside the Ice Tower thing was dire, the direction was obviously delegated to a Sound Engineer for this scene. There was no sense of geography in the sequence and it was difficult to work out where the car was and where it was going. The story, well i'm sorry but, there are much better plots in the Bond archive.*

On other news, when Pierce Brosnan was interviewed recently, he said he had signed for two more Bonds and would re-evaluate then whether he'd carry on. So, don't get too excited yet.

*All opinions are obviously subjective and some have remarked upon this film as the very best of Bond, so it's a personal thing.

E

ECA

hohum, Brosnan himself and a few other sources have said that the next JB might be black.

I havnt seen it, will prolly get it on DVD when its a tenner.

N

Nos-

Only an utter lamer with no real appreciation of Bond would enjoy this film tbh.

S

Shocko

I thought that it was ok... I agree the car chase was a let down, especially inside the ice palace mathingy...

And the timing of her drowning in there seemed stupidly unrealistic. I think the plot actually had promise, just that the whole escapade in Iceland seemed like a complete let down. The invisable car was just stupid. The most obvious fault, is that now every Bond car should be able to go invisable, since there's no way to explain why they wouldn't include this functionality if it's possible.

The sword fight was good though :)

P

Panda On Smack

i noticed how its all gone a bit shit.

1 example is the scene where the bad guys are outside a buiding in all the snow and they need to swipe a card to get inside. They walk up to the door and it opens before the chap swipes his card. nice touch i thought. Its not slight either, its blatanly obvious.

P

projectarnold

Originally posted by ECA
hohum, Brosnan himself and a few other sources have said that the next JB might be black.

I have heard this as well, it truly would be the stupidest thing mankind has ever done.

L

legendario

Originally posted by projectarnold

I have heard this as well, it truly would be the stupidest thing mankind has ever done.

What the fuck are you dribbling about?

S

scooby-doo

well everyone opinion om the film is gonna be different but the question is not about the film but who in you're opinion is gonna be the next bond.

T

tris-

Originally posted by legendario

What the fuck are you dribbling about?

for years JB is white skinned then a year later hes black? maybe that is what hes "dribbling" about.

S

Scooba Da Bass

So suspending belief in the fact that he doesn't look the same you can do, but you can't suspend belief enough to allow a black man to play the role?

Taste the coffee, with the booga goodness

D

doh_boy

Its a bit different isn' it though. The actors have all been 40+dark-haired-English(at least the accent) men. It would be just as much of a stretch in imagination for Anthony Hopkins, Stallone, Tom Cruise DiCaprio to play bond.

If one francise could change their character so much and get away with it, it would be bond.

G

Gumbo

At the moment Bond films are coming out about once every 3 years, and it looks like Brosnan will definately be doing the next one and probably the one after that too.

So the next bond with a new actor will probably be released in about 9 years. That makes it very hard to guess the next actor. And if you think of the progress made in the last 9 years in peoples attitudes, every chance that the next Bond could be black, and yes, maybe even played by an American.

S

Scooba Da Bass

Originally posted by ~YuckFou~
Would a white guy work as Shaft? Nope.

Bad analogy, they are in different fields with different history.

Y

~YuckFou~

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass

Bad analogy, they are in different fields with different history.

Not really, they are both characters who have a definitive race, that was my point.

Bond, cool English gent.
Shaft, cool street dude.

J

jake cop

The next Bond

If Pierce really does quit when his contract runs out he'll be a fool. Without the pull of being the current James Bond he'll get no work, even the work outside of Bond he does get now involves low-mid budget movies. Hardly a flourishing career.

If he does go though, the next Bond will probably be Ewan Mcgregor - Anthony Stewart head is far too old!

BTW, Gumbo - Brosnan has a five movie contract with MGM, so one more and he's off - unless he sees sense.

Y

~YuckFou~

Originally posted by lynchet

Why does that mean he cant be black ?

Imo it just wouldn't work. The character in the books, which is where this started, is a white guy.
I am by no means being racist, just stating fact.

edit/ appalling punctuation.

S

Shocko

I don't think a black bond would work. Whether we/you like it or not, the world is not colour-blind, and people do encounter different treatment depending on their colour or race. A black bond simply wouldn't work well in the bond world.

It's not being racist, and it's not even discriminating, it's just being realistic. Trying to say that it would still work the same(as a bond film), but where bond is black, is the result of PC overload.

There's nothing liberal about saying something as utterly shit as what you're saying.

L

legendario

Well in that case you'll be horrified to hear that they have considered a woman for the role.

E

Embattle

Actually not so much for the Bond role but another set of films, the idea came from how well Halle Berry played here part...it would be called Jinx after the part she played.

1tchy trigger

Clive Owen would be cool - he was excellent in Croupier - I also heard rumours that it could be the Irish bloke who played the lead in Reign of Fire.

Film was OK - but WTF was that invisible car all about - that has got to be the biggest wank excuse for a lack of imagination - what will they come up with next? A time/space portal generator?

K

kryt

Don Warrington would be an excellent choice yes.

For those who may not recognise the name, he was captain Binks of the starship "Enlightenment" from Red Dwarf (Rimmer's first sex scene). Program called "Holoship". Damned good one too :)

I don't agree that he must be white, but to the same ends, the problem with most black people is that they feel they are being picked on too much : the big nobs at the local film industry feel they might get in trouble for racism! so someone has to be black! etc.

It's up to the cast directors anyway, most choices have been good ones (with the exception of the, frankly appallingly pants Tim Dalton), and I'd have faith in their next choice, white, black, bright purple with luminous green polka dots and one testicle larger than the other. It is however about attitude, the style.
Maybe there isn't a black bloke out there quite suitable for the job. I certainly can't think of a white version of Samuel L Jackson.

Maybe Chris Barrie ;)

Oohhh, and Scooba : The shirt you were wearing at Barrybeer.

Priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom