it's -6C and snowing like Wij's pube-dandruff

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Guess winter tires are overkill in UK ?
I've only used Chains/socks once and that was in Norway...

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Was sexy outside today, walked to college in the snow, and didn't slip over, once, was pretty awesome, snow without ice for week days.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Guess winter tires are overkill in UK ?
I've only used Chains/socks once and that was in Norway...

Yes, for one or two days snow every couple of years, they would be a massive waste of cash.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Just came back from Tescos. 2 days ago they had a box full of snow shovels (£6.97)(a cheap wooden stick with a nasty piece of shovel shaped plastic on the end)(I'd give it half an hour before it breaks). 10 minutes ago there was one left lol

We live in Notting Hill, not East Carmarthenshire! By tomorrow night they'll probably be a run on tinned food. Bloody softy townies. 5cm predicted and ppl rush out for snow gear. It'll last 20 minutes before it turns to slush

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
What is this? Do I need to google or can someone paste me a link? (Preferably with Big G in Autosocks and a mankini)

I never actually tried the Autosocks but as I understand it it's like a fabric cover for the tyre with rubber grippy bits stuck on? The Michelin Easy Grip is like a net of cord that surrounds the tyre..
michelin_easygrip.jpg

...no idea which is better but I was pleasantly surprised at how much these helped me out today, especially on an incline.

Deebs - http://www.autosock.co.uk/

Aye much the same idea Cal.

old.user4556

Yes, for one or two days snow every couple of years, they would be a massive waste of cash.

Well, normal summer tyres are generally ok down to about 5 - 7 degrees and then their performance starts to suffer. Winter tyres are much safer once it gets below this temperature, so it's not just driving on snow but generally retaining grip when it's colder. Summer tyres also wear faster when it's cold. My dad has two sets of allows and rotates his tyres around (so generally gets twice as long out a set of tyres).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
hmmmm I have to drive a little ways atm (220km) and I has no winter tyres or anything (based on the lovely warm temps when we were supposed to have winter begin, rather than now). I'm a bit worried because there have been warnings about road conditions. I wish I had some bloody autosocks now. Perhaps I should get some?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah well done and everything but.... SNOCOX??

If you can get some Autosocks or Michelin Easy Grips then do imo, they are the perfect solution for when you have snow for short periods but not regularly enough for full-on winter tyres. Also a piece of piss to put on and take off. Put top half over tyre, roll forward 2 feet, put other bit over the rest of the tyre and you're sorted. Great for peace of mind, and not cuntish and horrible like snow chains.

But... SNOCOX? :eek:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Snow expected in the next 2 hours over London. Therefore we are ordering grotesquely large amounts of Indian food. Bring it on!

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
ive always wondered how hard those are to put on :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Been snowing for 3.5 hours in London and we've got about 3cm so far

ileks

Part of the furniture
Quite a lot here in Coventry. About 3 inches at least I reckon.

soze

I am a FH squatter
It has started settling here too now. I can't be arsed having to drive behind a car doing 5mph. Or worse having some cunt in a 4x4 with winter tyres driving 2 inches from my arse. I hate driving in the snow :(

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
About 2 inches in Northampton. Will melt by Monday though.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Just awoke to strange scratching and thought the rats were back in the loft. Turns out to be a very kind neighbour with a snow shovel clearing a path not just to her house but several surrounding ones including ours. Although we won't be going anywhere since she says someone's parked their car sideways across the cul-de-sac after trying to drive it in the snow!

Embattle

FH is my second home
Still amazing how many people were out last night in cars as if they were going to be immune to the snow.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
-19 here for the past 3 mornings goin to work, went up to about -15 when it was time to go home. During the night it dropped to -25. Coldest this far -45 in norhern sweden. :)

old.user4556

Still amazing how many people were out last night in cars as if they were going to be immune to the snow.

Judging by some of the wankers on my Facebook, it's "ONLY A BIT OF SNOW YOU BUNCH OF FUCKING PUSSIES, QUIT MOANING ON YOUR STATUSES", or something like that. I'm guessing self righteous cunts like that are the ones going out in it.

old.user4556

I hate it, absolutely hate it.

Brings out the worst in people, technology and noobs don't mix. I don't give a shit if you've got all the washing done, hung it up, cleaned all the bathrooms and now "have a glass of 'vino' in hand" - WHY TELL EVERYONE?!

rynnor

Rockhound
I have autosocks - I dont mind driving on the snow but find the roads become a nightmare if it happens on a weekday afternoon due to the large number of stuck/crashed cars blocking up the roads. It once took me 6 hours to drive home about 35 miles due to the jacknifed lorries on the M25 etc. etc.

Not a lot of fun.

Snow is an experience thing though - it used to scare me but I have had a fair bit of driving on steep hills with serious snow that its fine but I still treat it with respect and prepare well.

Always take a bit of carpet or mat (to shove under stuck wheels) and a shovel for if you get stuck in the really deep drifts.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Do you have anti-skid tires in the UK? Around here you can add...what's the word...tacs(?) in tires and you're set for winter, then just de-tac them when the snow melts.

Or if you want, have a set sitting in the garage.

BAsically all you need for snow is this;

PirelliCEcut.jpg

Ormorof

FH is my second home
even here in Finland you have the nutters who dont believe snow or the laws of physics apply to them

it was so dark and heavy on friday morning visibility was reduced to about 3 metres, add in -20C temperatures and some idiots determined to drive 120km/h on small roads and we had over 200 crashes in the Helsinki area...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
even here in Finland you have the nutters who dont believe snow or the laws of physics apply to them

it was so dark and heavy on friday morning visibility was reduced to about 3 metres, add in -20C temperatures and some idiots determined to drive 120km/h on small roads and we had over 200 crashes in the Helsinki area...

Yeap, but those are swedes :LOL:

russell

FH is my second home
Hey guys guess what, Ive got all the washing done, hung it up, ironed it, cleaned all the bathrooms and now "have a glass of 'vino' in hand:)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Yeah well done and everything but.... SNOCOX??

If you can get some Autosocks or Michelin Easy Grips then do imo, they are the perfect solution for when you have snow for short periods but not regularly enough for full-on winter tyres. Also a piece of piss to put on and take off. Put top half over tyre, roll forward 2 feet, put other bit over the rest of the tyre and you're sorted. Great for peace of mind, and not cuntish and horrible like snow chains.

But... SNOCOX? :eek:

yeah well I drove 230km yesterday and the roads were absolutely fine. I did moderate my speed though, as I did feel that if anything did happen my insurance would be rather displeased. I guess the people crashing are actually the retards who think that because they have a giant station wagon and winter tyres they magically become glued to the road. (that's more a wish than a fact sadly).
Worst part was getting off the parking lot at the place I went to: was a small one in a residential area and it seems their local council has a "let's not grit or clear the habitation zones roads shall we" policy. I had to do some back and forth rolling and pulling away in a higher gear to get the GT moving, but after that I was ok.

As to the snocox, I did try but it was sadly the wrong kind of snow if you know what I mean: sort of an icy gritty thing and didn't want to hold together. sorry to disappoint :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom