News Italian Cruise ship capsized

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16561904

Jesus man, as I read somewhere there was a comment basically saying 'How the fuck can this happen in the 21st Century' so true, surely technology should be sufficient to make sure everything goes swimmingly(hehe).

3 dead
70 missing atm, hope they're all found. :(

Chilly

Balls of steel
100% human error, I bet. We'd be so much better off if we let the machines run things.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Must be some sort of mechanical failure too. The navigational computers should let you know you are going to ground yourself. I would of though all sorts of alarms should be going off. From watching the shows on the massive container ships they have loads of ground sensing radar.

Chilly

Balls of steel
All the magic in the world wont stop a drunk or inattentive bridge officer not fucking his boat up.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I would be very surprised if there was only one person on the bridge of a ship that size.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I cba to find the source, but this company has had a similar problem back in 2003 or something, and looking at the ship, it doesn't exactly look like a rich-persons-cruise-boat, so maybe budget ship = shit ships = shit staff?

Ofc, I'm just being a cunt about it and having a guess.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Got any made up on the spot statistics to back that up? :p

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Reports suggest that just under 3% of what Gwadien says is logical!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
And it was only 5 years old so it can't have had old tech. From what some of the passengers and staff have said it sounds like *everything* just cut out right before it start listing.

- English -

Resident Freddy
well if a nuclear sub can ground off the banks of Scotland, something is wrong for sure.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
haha, didn't read that bit, just looked a bit tack from the piccies I saw
Tbh most of the underwater bits of most ships look a bit tack. Especially when they have a 50m gash in the side of them. ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
sandbanks etc do move .. but looking at the pictures it wasnt a sandbank but a big rock ...

The sea is never going to be 100% safe ... things we do are never going to be 100% safe ..

You expect to get off at the end of a flight but there is no guarantee.

Mixtures of human error and computer error (which is human error.. Read shit in shit out)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16565771

Old ship, old tech....

1492-yeah-sure.png

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Apparently they only have passenger drills every 15 days so most of the passengers didn't even know what to do in the event of an evacuation.

Also, you can tell from how it has settled, the water it is in, is far too shallow.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That big fuck off rock wasn't on maritime charts according to the captain, who has been on suspicion of multiple homicide. He left the ship before the evacuation was complete apparently. Sounds like a great guy.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Watch the vid in my link Raven, apparently they hit something then "headed for shallow water" for an evac.

Edit: assuming the BBC report is accurate ofc .....

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There are a large number of possibilities ranging from human error, to technical failure, to a combination of the two.
Surely that's just 3 possibilities?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
But it can only have been human error or technical failure or a combination of the two, which isn't a range at all. :)

If it's a binary choice, you can't saying "ranging from 0 to 1". It's either 0 or it's 1.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That's actually the first time I've seen an "arrow to the knee" joke that's made me laugh. :)

But highly inappropriate!! :eek:

But funny. :(

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Apparently the captain was off drinking, and was one of the first to leave the ship, while the part of the crew tried to help with the evactuation..

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Brings a whole new meaning to the term "showboating". (Or maybe that was the original meaning?)

Embattle

FH is my second home
It would seem the ship was rather off course, the other problem would be that being in such shallow water would probably of been a factor in it rolling rather than sitting down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom