Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Is it really good?

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Is it really good?

Yup, just be prepared to wet yourself if you need the loo...miss any of it and you'll be lost. I've got a feeling this is another film which will hold a great amount more merit being watched in the cinema then at home so as per the OP, go see it! :D

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
I've heard it described as a cross between The Matrix and Dark knight, which is true enough I suppose.

I've also heard its very complicated and you have to pay attention to every detail which is rubbish - it's not that complicated. The premise is straight forward and explained well within the first 10-15 mins. Maybe my years of reading sci-fi and playing games has inured me to this kinda thing though...

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Booked to go see it tomorrow with my children.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I'm going to attract some hate mail here but I wasn't that impressed with it.

I mean the fight scenes look cool and all but I feel it really missed an opportunity to stand out.

I thought the zero g fight scenes were very cool but there was a nagging sense of jeapordy when they kept mentioning how little time they had but the scenes went on forever...

I'm sure they said that they had just two mins (during the zero g sequence while the van's crashing into the water) for the guy from Third Rock from the Sun to rig something up to give them a "kick". Yet he manages to float around for a bit, have a fight, collect and wrap up several people, float them out into the corridor, into the lift, set charges, climb cables etc etc. All the time I'm thinking that he's taken a fuck load longer than 2 mins to do all that.

And while we're at it, how come the van diving off the road and rolling several times through the air isn't enough of a kick but slapping into water is?

And why when they're training the bird how to be an architect and she's bending buildings and gravity don't they get her to do it later on? How cool would that have been!!? I get the bit where they said the more she changes, the more the sub conscious attacks but let's face it, they're being chased by an army with machine guns, how much worse can it get? Missed opportunity....

I guess my issue with the film is that, as cool as it was, when you're building a new world for people to experience and you're taking the time to point out all the rules of that world, don't contradict them in such a glaring way. It just jars ALOT and suspends people's suspension of disbelief.

So in summary.....It's alright I suppose.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Kenny is so far the only person of everyone who I've seen provide any feedback on the film that wasn't impressed with it. Think I might go Wednesday, although I hate films that are over 2 hours in the cinema...

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
@WPKenny

They were under sedation, which meant they were in a deeper sleep, which in turn gave them more time in each 'layer' than they would have in a regular sleep. When they say they were short on time, that was just to synchronise all the 'kicks'.

Oh and with Ellen Page, correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't she only doing that city bending jazz in HER dream? When they're on the plane they're in erm, Scarecrow from Batmans dream.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
By the end of the film I was willing it to end. Film has a nice theme, but it was so long and drawn out I wanted to sleep.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
@WPKenny

They were under sedation, which meant they were in a deeper sleep, which in turn gave them more time in each 'layer' than they would have in a regular sleep. When they say they were short on time, that was just to synchronise all the 'kicks'.
Im with Kenny. I get the different layers giving different times, but he specifically said the first time the music went off that the dude in the van was making the jump in 10 seconds, which gave the next dude in the next layer 2 minutes, which equated to 16 minutes in the final layer.

It was longer than 10 seconds in the first layer and much much longer than 2 minutes in the second layer

Other than that, I liked it. I did think the end was somewhat of a cop out leaving you with the was it/wasnt it his dream.

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Im with Kenny. I get the different layers giving different times, but he specifically said the first time the music went off that the dude in the van was making the jump in 10 seconds, which gave the next dude in the next layer 2 minutes, which equated to 16 minutes in the final layer.

It was longer than 10 seconds in the first layer and much much longer than 2 minutes in the second layer

Other than that, I liked it. I did think the end was somewhat of a cop out leaving you with the was it/wasnt it his dream.

I thought he said ten...two, ten, two, ten...hmm, not sure but no doubt I'll look out for it next time I watch it.

eksdee

FH is my second home
thought this was an awesome film. if you get 'lost' with the plot, you're either an idiot or not paying attention. as someone said, it is explained very well at the start and doesn't deviate from its own logic.

as for nit-picking over the time at the end, i get it, honestly i do, but it is a film - it is not intended to be presented in 'real time' and as such, dragging out the final scene(s) to dramatic effect is firstly an age-old cinematic tool and secondly something that (for me, at least) worked very well.

all in all i thought it was a great film. really engaging, about the perfect length for the subject matter and managed to not be ruining by that annoying toe-rag ellen paige.

great film. go watch.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter

It went up a lot more with them being under sedation. The third layer could've lasted months and the fourth year iirc.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Imo it doesnt matter about the timings too much since the entire second half of the film was a dream. I reckon when Leo sampled the doctors sedative he didnt wake up - you never see him use the spinning thingy after that do you?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thought it was a pretty good film and the action scenes were a joy to watch. Still undecided about the ending....

But yes, go watch and enjoy a pretty good film :)

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Good film, although not dark knight good, was dissapointed with the ending.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
What I posted elsewhere:

Right, saw this last night.

First of all, it's a very good film. I wouldn't say it's brilliant, or in any top 5, but it is very good and a lot better than most of the mainstream rubbish.

I was expecting it to be a bit more spectacular, there's lots of scope for breathtaking stuff to happen, and most of that happened outside the main mission, as the concept was being introduced. It felt like a bit of a missed trick, but this is probably more down to my expectations of what the film was to be rather than what it actually is. I thought it'd be a definite cinema film but I don't really feel I gained anything from the cinematic experience other than the deep, rumbling bassy notes that run through the main action (which were great btw).

The plot and narrative are pretty simply constructed, although there's plenty in there to keep your mind active if you want to. It's not hard to just watch without having to think about what's going on at all. It's much more about Cobb's mind and background than it is about 'Inception'.

It was maybe a fraction long, although my discomfort wasn't helped by the fact the air conditioning wasn't working where I was sat which wasn't comfortable at all. The cast was very solid all the way through, there wasn't a weak point in it. You know you're on to a winner cast-wise when you have Pete Poselthwaite and Michael Caine in minor roles.

Whilst it was a very good film, it didn't really grab me and make me amazed like it has some people. I don't think it's Nolan's best work at all, I enjoyed Memento and both Batman's over this more I think. I haven't seen The Prestige/Insomia/Following though.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
insomnia is absolutely brilliant, watch it!

Seriously? I watched this with 2 mates when we were in Florida when it was lashing down outside and we all woke up the next day asking what had happened in the movei!!!!!!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Watched it last night (first pass-out since the baby came home). Thought it was excellent. Once you understand the logic, which is pretty well explained in the first half hour, its not complicated to follow at all. However;

When Saito "dies" in the third-level (arctic) dream, Cobb has already dropped into a fourth level (his construct with his missus), so when he drops out of that into "limbo", how or why is that a shared dream with Saito? Surely they'd be in their own independent limbos as there was nothing archetected for them to share? Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I can't see how Cobb can find Saito. Then again, I think its fairly clear despite the cliffhanger ending that Cobb is actually still dreaming; his kids haven't aged a day when he finally sees them.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
Watched it last night (first pass-out since the baby came home). Thought it was excellent. Once you understand the logic, which is pretty well explained in the first half hour, its not complicated to follow at all. However;

When Saito "dies" in the third-level (arctic) dream, Cobb has already dropped into a fourth level (his construct with his missus), so when he drops out of that into "limbo", how or why is that a shared dream with Saito? Surely they'd be in their own independent limbos as there was nothing archetected for them to share? Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I can't see how Cobb can find Saito. Then again, I think its fairly clear despite the cliffhanger ending that Cobb is actually still dreaming; his kids haven't aged a day when he finally sees them.

are we even told how long he has been away? although i think your on to something as they are in exactly the same clothes i think id have to go with the fact he is infact in a dream state still as for the saito thing he has died within a construct so even if its his own construct its still within the first construct so theoretically he could find him but thats just nit picking i think you could really pull this film apart if you wanted to

watched it fri night and loved it, think id like to go see it again tho just to pick up on bits i may have missed. its a very good film imo oscar worthy

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
saw it yesterday with two mates. I thought it was great, the others thought it was naff.

something I liked:
the no-gravity effect in the second layer while the van was falling
but I didn't get why:
that didn't carry through into the other deeper layer. it prolly was explained but I missed it
another thing I liked:
REALLY awesome how the no-gravity kick problem was solved

final thoughts:
1)this isn't Cobb's dream at all, this is in fact MAL's dream!
2)Saito is in Cobb's limbo dream because they were connected in the layers above, otherwise they never would have found each other
3)I found the dreamworlds too boring to be dreams tbh. MY dreams are full of the most amazing shit ever. Compared to that the presented worlds are naff. I thought stuff was going to heat up when Ariadne demonstrated some of her abilities, but then she stopped. Ofc, they had to be careful to not make it too Matrix-esque but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom