Important notice : Game password being changed.

R

rynnor

Originally posted by geysor
The only reason for GOA to change EVERYONES game and subscription passwords is if a hacker got the list of users and passwords.

Agreed but my point is that this is not related to the problem of abused Dev commands so we have what appears to be multiple hackers using different methods to disrupt the servers.

W

Whoodoo_RD

Originally posted by Jessy
Just my opinion and thought on this.

Its obvious from the emails that some tool, be it dev or not was used to spawn the mobs in emain, why are all the users now having their passwords changed and not just people with access to these tools... if you read the main daoc european site youll notice that the E&E team have had some increased access to the servers, I vaguley remember they could take over NPC's to interact with the public - surely this is allowing some DEV tools out of the GOA office, its my beliefe that this was a major contribution to the problems last week.
Incorrect.

Yes we do have access to a type of NCP, in fact they are in our normal gaming Character slots, and we DO NOT have access to any dev tools whatsoever. These characters are created by us, they cannot use items, accept or give items, change anything in game at all. All we can do is interact using chat facilities like anyone else. We have no more access to the servers than you do with the exception of being able to use Gorre.

G

geysor

Agreed but my point is that this is not related to the problem of abused Dev commands so we have what appears to be multiple hackers using different methods to disrupt the servers
Yeah

Maybe some disgruntled DAOC player fed up with GOA's ineptitudes has gotten his revenge. There's gonna be a BIG list of suspects.

S

smincy

this sucks, there should be something on the site for people who dont know their subscription password. some sort of security question, like other sites do.

But now, what am i saying, that would be way to logical :D

L

Lorthania

Re: Re: Re: Re: Important notice : Game password being changed.

Originally posted by Draylor
Ah ok, so you regard insecure servers as inevitable, and 10 day delays in taking action after discovering a problem as acceptable?

As I said originally GOA had their warning very early on to get their network security sorted out. They clearly ignored it, and the long time delay indicates they had no plan in place to address problems if they did occur. Neither are acceptable.

Who says they have been waiting ten days? Perhaps they knew it from day 1 and they have been working on it since then, but bringing the servers down has only become necessary at this point? Do you really think GOA would have sat there watching their infrastructure go down and wait ten days to do so something about it?

You have no clue at all what has happened, but you immediately presume the worst. You don't whether account details have been hacked. You don't know how long GOA have waited, if at all, to take measures. You don't know anything at all, but hey, if you can't play, you must have something else to do - too bad it isn't something a bit more constructive.

Lorth

U

uglymug

send new password now!

as if i'm not pissed of enough as is ..

/em hits f5 again and again and again

D

Draylor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Important notice : Game password being changed.

Originally posted by Lorthania
Who says they have been waiting ten days? Perhaps they knew it from day 1 and they have been working on it since then
The problems are at this time not solved. Changing passwords now is an admission that they cannot be certain password information remained secure. The fact that this hasnt been completed in the amount of time theyve had - disgraceful.

you have no clue at all what has happened
You think
but you immediately presume the worst. You don't whether account details have been hacked. You don't know how long GOA have waited, if at all, to take measures.
As a minimum we know when the first signs of someone having unauthorised access to the server occurred, we know when GOA shutdown various web services (presumably out of panic after realising password information had potentially been compromised), we know when GOA announced any attempt to resolve the problems.

And in this thread we have a cut'n'paste comment from Mythic that at least some of the issues (mobs spawning in RvR zones) were achieved by the unauthorised use of dev tools in a way that couldnt happen on Mythics servers. Yet again - insecure network configuration by GOA.

You don't know anything at all, but hey, if you can't play, you must have something else to do - too bad it isn't something a bit more constructive.
Your flamebait isnt even worth a reply.

P

preladon

From the post on Camelot-Europe
We have also lodged a complaint with the competent authorities.

Who are the competent authorities? This is a perfect opportunity for GOA to demonstrate that they understand the meaning of the word competent...

D

Draylor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Important notice : Game password being changed.

Originally posted by Whoodoo_RD
For one thing, this may have nothing to do with the recent spate of virii, but instead iscolated incidents revolving around the hackers. We will probably never know. I still stand by my call thats its better late than never.
Seems highly unlikely to be virus related, if it was my opinion of GOA would sink even lower - hard as it might be to believe thats possible.

F

freeq

you people left your old unused / unaccesible email address?

:clap: well done!

the wonders of hotmail and yahoo guys...

M

Monkee*

Originally posted by freeq
you people left your old unused / unaccesible email address?

:clap: well done!

the wonders of hotmail and yahoo guys...

indeed, no offence to those who may have un-accesible e-mail address's but that is something u can't pin on GOA! doesn't take long to log in and change ur details :p

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Re: Re: Re: Important notice : Game password being changed.

Originally posted by Whoodoo_RD
Servers remaining down for a mere 5 hours, well if it means my account is safe from theives, terrific. I dont give a rats arse hopw long it takes to ensure my details are safe. Get a life and go out somewhere and meet real ppl, play sommit else, get a hobby or a life ffs!

Think you are the twat. French saying 5 hours is like a Swiss clock saying it will be 24 hours...

Have no problem with my life, doing a fine job at it thank you.
I pay for this game, spend a lot of time on it, and get annoyed that somehow the US version does not have this trouble...
As it is the same game, pretty safe to conclude GoA is fucking up somewhere...
And I do pay about 120 euro's a year to play this, so they better give me my fun when I want it.
Regards, Glottis

G

GrimReaper

Originally posted by Monkee*
indeed, no offence to those who may have un-accesible e-mail address's but that is something u can't pin on GOA! doesn't take long to log in and change ur details :p

Oh yes you can. Changed email address in the past week when the subs page has been down maybe?? I'm pretty sure you can pin that problem on GOA.

Chances of the subs page being back up so email addresses can be updated BEFORE new sub passwords are sent out...... prob zero :/

Grim

S

skerit XP

Hmm, last time the servers where down, they gave me a free day...

We all know that DAoC has got the most uptime then any game 5EVE is down an houre each day, in a total that's a lot of houres) Goa does a good job at keeping servers up. The only problem with goa is mostly it's customers, you always complain, complain, complain, nothing more, when in fact there isn't a slight difference from the US. Probably the most annoying thing to hear is "We're behind X patches" We get to hear that everytime the US get another patch, then people start to complain again, saying GOA is too slow, well, I'd like to see you translate 1 game in 2 languages, and it isn't just replacing words, other stuff has got to be dealt with ... GOA does a good job for me, I'm satisfied.

T

task4ce

Originally posted by geysor
The only reason for GOA to change EVERYONES game and subscription passwords is if a hacker got the list of users and passwords.

What other reason could there be?

They were hacked and the entire user database was downloaded.. all the european user details ....

so... /shrugs

Gratz to the fuckhead hacker, u've put out thousands of peeps for ur own self gratification. Ur a sad sack and I really hope u get nailed hard for this because u deserve it.

G

Gewny

hmm about this problem :

It is fully possible that some guy managed to find a hole into Goa´s servers, we have several times heard that they run some sort of linux/unix servers for the game stuff.

Linux/unix kernels has there vunerabilitys, nobody claims anything else but almost all of these are fixed before any large dmg occours. However if Goa didnt take the hacking treat for real they might very well have failed to secure there severs.

If a guy was capable of breaking into the servers using some known hole he might very well have left a "backdoor" open (tru a trojan for example).
Anyhow these guys usually tends to brag about what they did and cuz of this other smucks use this hole too.

So, in short, If one guy manged to break in (and goa failed to close to hole fast enugh) there is a high risc that several others has been tru this hole too, even if the first guy didnt do any real harm the followers might have done.

Probaly Goa stores the account information encrypted, but if a hacker managed to copy the database files(even if he aint capable of decrypting em) they cant take the risc to leave the information unchanged...

Sadly emails are totally unsafe too... this will problay drag with it a great number of problems for Goa during a faitly long period of time (maybe up to a year) before all the aftereffects of ppl loosing accounts and so on is fully cleard up.

A sad day...

M

Monkee*

Originally posted by task4ce
They were hacked and the entire user database was downloaded.. all the european user details ....

so... /shrugs

Gratz to the fuckhead hacker, u've put out thousands of peeps for ur own self gratification. Ur a sad sack and I really hope u get nailed hard for this because u deserve it.

got any proof of this?

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Originally posted by skerit XP
The only problem with goa is mostly it's customers, you always complain, complain, complain, nothing more, when in fact there isn't a slight difference from the US.

Glad you are happy, but offcourse people complain. People complained when they played a free game like Planetarion, let alone how much they complain when they pay for something.

The complaining about GoA is very justified in my eyes.
Poor public relations with its customers
Poor security
Why does the English version have to wait for the patches to be translated to German and French?
Current bugs (sounds, the PA bug is only just solved)
Why did Europeans have to pay 30 Euro's for the SI expansion, while in the US it was 10 dollars?

You do pay 120 euro's a year for this, so it is only fair we expect to be informed about what is going on.
Regards, Glottis

S

seaotter

competent authourities

I don't mean to be picky but i hope the competent authorities aren't the french police after just spending 3 weeks out there and having my parents live in the var area this will be one hacker never caught.

OTTER 50th armsman <well it seemed a good idea 18 months ago>
SEAOTTER 48th scout <ok my judgement didn't improve with this one either>

M

Monkee*

Originally posted by Glottis_Xanadu
Why did Europeans have to pay 30 Euro's for the SI expansion, while in the US it was 10 dollars?

Regards, Glottis

i paid £5 for mine :D

O

old.yaruar

Well as long as goa compensate me for the account I bought last week and haven't been able to play.. 2 weeks should suffice...

A

Aoln

OMG i would of easily made 1million+ rps so far today, they better give them to me in compensation! :eek:

S

skerit XP

Poor security? What poor security, it happens once and you sya they have poor security... I know there where some DOS attacks, but you can't do much about that.

I agree they don't relate to the customers so well, but when they do, people start quoting every sentence and giggle about god-knows-what.

And we can't have the us patches on the english servers, things will go bad, people will all want on those servers, but then they would have to change the update stuff, when a new expansion comes out they'll have to bring one out of the english and for the french and german servers, ... French people will want their servers ot the latest patch aswell and so on...

the onyl thing I don't like about GOA is that they closed the test servers ...

S

Stormm

well im in the same situation as many people, the mail i registered with no longer exists..

so are they gonna get the subs pages so we can renew our emails before changing subs passwords?

i fukin doubt it so we're basically fuked. We had a guy leave guild/game after 2 months trying to get lost sub password.

GOA really are shit.

N

-Nxs-

How many times have we been warned about using IRC as its a hackers paradise to gain information about your connection.... how many times have we seen GOA staff on IRC ;-)

V

vargen

same here.. The e-mail that i registerd to dies not exist any more.

Is this good bye for me and for the 450+ others who have the same problem?
Will goa just send the subscription details to a new e-mail adress if i ask them to? :/ nope.. we are doomed.

Never again will i play a game managed by GOA, the githeads.

T

the_smurflord

Originally posted by Aoln
OMG i would of easily made 1million+ rps so far today, they better give them to me in compensation! :eek:

HAd this been anyone else, I might have given it some credence, but as it's Aoln, all I can say is GIMP!!!

B

Bleri McThrust

Originally posted by skerit XP
Poor security? What poor security, it happens once and you sya they have poor security... I know there where some DOS attacks, but you can't do much about that.

No it happened twice ..... Once on Llyonesse and once on Prydwen. 5 days apart.

And the fact that Dev tools were useable in such a way is POOR SECURITY.

I dont normally get involved in knocking GoA as I tend to feel they do a good job with what they have, but for 5 days now some people (including myself) have been asking for answers and getting none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom