Important notice : Game password being changed.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by Bleri McThrust
In reply to a rant I had about last weeks grab bag

Bleri - those screenshots aren't pictures of a hack in progress. Reread the second paragraph of my answer - those are dev tools in action. Here on our servers, we've limited the number of people with access to those tools and ensured that you must be here inside our building to use them.

I don't know how GOA does it.

Sanya Thomas
Internet Relations Manager and Sacrificial Goat
Check out www.camelotherald.com for more information.

Sounds like a port left open for Dev tools to access GM commands on the server. Obviously someone has either got hold of the Dev tools and those commands or they have managed to hack in via that open port and figure out the commands.

R

rookiescot

Dunno guys ...... seems to me that this is a missed opertunity.
Its obvious the "hacker" if he exists knows more about this games coding than GOA/Mythic. Wonder if he could fix some of the bugs/issues for us?
I got a list here somewhere .......

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by rookiescot
Dunno guys ...... seems to me that this is a missed opertunity.
Its obvious the "hacker" if he exists knows more about this games coding than GOA/Mythic. Wonder if he could fix some of the bugs/issues for us?
I got a list here somewhere .......

Don't post it FGS! I don't have until Easter 2006 to read it :p

T

thegreatest

Ok guys now is Teh! time to go out meet some people/take fresh air, go get some sleep or even take a shower!! yes a shower, take it now!!!11twelvethirteen

K

KinkyYeppy

Can we all just blame "Bill Gates" we can even make a song, Blame Bill gates! hes not even a real man anyway!

N

)nick(

Originally posted by Xeanor
really fun when you can't access the e-mail box you registered with anymore.

Got exactly the same problem, and I presume so do a lot of others. Wait there's hope in the form of Right NextDecade (tm), ok maybe not as:
a) you'll need your sub password to access it.
b) it ain't up!

Here's to upping the subscription prices whilst maintaining, or should I say whilst waiting for the inevitable to happen! :moon:

L

legaoniel.old

out of date email

Yup - that's me - same non- accessible email box for both accounts, so they can mail me as much as I like - I won't get it, dammit!

( I know, I know - should have kept it up to date but who would ever expect an email from GOA so didn't bother..)

If I hadn't put so much effort into my characters on Euro servers I'd be off to the USA servers to be honest - more choice, proper customer support etc etc... if they gave us a choice to move our characters I'd be off - sharpish!

Ah well...

S

sorcerer_spliff

well, at least they've had time to make a brand new error page for the occation.

K

KinkyYeppy

But on the US servers you won't really get ingame help..coz the helper would be in bed :O

S

smincy

hmm, this is a bit annoying, but i suppose its neccesary.

howeever, i think im in a bit of a situation here, as i registered my accound under an old email address ... and i'm not sure if i update it to my new one :(

dince the site is down also, there's not much chance of me changing my email address in time is there.

any ideas on what i could do ? is there a contact phone number for customer support ?

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by smincy
any ideas on what i could do ? is there a contact phone number for customer support ?
ROFLMFAO

They don't even reply - EVER - when you access RightNever the way you're supposed to, why do you think they'd ever make it easy for paying customers to get responses from them?

J

Jerelyn

hahahahaaa.. just sitting here, wondering about aaaall those people who traded accounts, bought an account on E-Bay, bought it somewhere else. And forgot to change email in the subscription page, now cannot get their new subscription and login thingys... heheheehee.. that's just plain stuuupid :p
<imagines the guy who original had XXX's account> hmm.. email from GOA?!? well well well.. i got my account again it seems.....

oh. sorry guys.. i'm just having a little fun here :)

-Jerelyn

M

mib666

This is extremely dissapointing news, even more so if my PERSONAL details have been accessable to a third party.

I wonder how long this hacker has been able to access all of our private information.

D

Damon_D

where does it say that they will mail the passwords to the email we used to registrer back in when we first got the game.. I sure as hell hope not..thats years since...alot of peopel will have changed email several times since then , thats why we freaking update our email , in our account info..if they dont use that email..well hell and worse will break loos imho....

M

mikkelhelle

THANK GOD THAT WOW, DARKFALL AND LINEAGE II IS ON THE STEPS.

I REALLY HATE GOA. THEY CAN KISS MY A**. NEWBIE'S

D

Draylor

Re: Re: Re: Important notice : Game password being changed.

Originally posted by Whoodoo_RD
Draylor, careful m8, youre going his way too, all businesses including GOA do their best, but in the large world of the internet, there is always a hacker 1 step ahead, making new ways to break into web sites and servers around the globe. The more public attention a site has, the more prime target it is.
Ah ok, so you regard insecure servers as inevitable, and 10 day delays in taking action after discovering a problem as acceptable?

Nope - its not. Any person acting this way working for a responsible company would find themselves unemployed very quickly indeed. But when its GOA - ah no need to worry about it, its only a game.

As I said originally GOA had their warning very early on to get their network security sorted out. They clearly ignored it, and the long time delay indicates they had no plan in place to address problems if they did occur. Neither are acceptable.

F

-fwapp-

dince the site is down also, there's not much chance of me changing my email address in time is there.

loads of ppl have that problem :| i guess that GOA can say that their sudden **ooooooooh btw i hope u updated ur email every week cos u need it now or ur screwed. and no u cant change it** is the account users fault and not theirs so may not "prioritise" it the way that they "quickly" fix "important" issues :(

G

galdora

Originally posted by svartmetall
ROFLMFAO

They don't even reply - EVER - when you access RightNever the way you're supposed to, why do you think they'd ever make it easy for paying customers to get responses from them?

I've had occasion to use RightNow about 6 times at a guess. Everytime, I've had a useful response within 24 hours.

And imo, GOA and Mythic do a great job, I love the game and am happy with the service. Yes, even today.

N

ning

We have also lodged a complaint with the competent authorities.

GIFV Free Year ! If police catch the hackers, they will have to pay ! :D

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by galdora
I've had occasion to use RightNow about 6 times at a guess. Everytime, I've had a useful response within 24 hours.

Then you've been incredibly lucky. I have never received any kind of reply, EVER, from RightNever.

And imo, GOA and Mythic do a great job, I love the game and am happy with the service. Yes, even today.
I love the game, but I'm less and less happy with GOA's service and attitude as time wears on.

J

Jessy

Just my opinion and thought on this.

Its obvious from the emails that some tool, be it dev or not was used to spawn the mobs in emain, why are all the users now having their passwords changed and not just people with access to these tools... if you read the main daoc european site youll notice that the E&E team have had some increased access to the servers, I vaguley remember they could take over NPC's to interact with the public - surely this is allowing some DEV tools out of the GOA office, its my beliefe that this was a major contribution to the problems last week.

W

Whoodoo_RD

Re: Re: Re: Re: Important notice : Game password being changed.

Originally posted by Draylor
Ah ok, so you regard insecure servers as inevitable, and 10 day delays in taking action after discovering a problem as acceptable?

Nope - its not. Any person acting this way working for a responsible company would find themselves unemployed very quickly indeed. But when its GOA - ah no need to worry about it, its only a game.

As I said originally GOA had their warning very early on to get their network security sorted out. They clearly ignored it, and the long time delay indicates they had no plan in place to address problems if they did occur. Neither are acceptable.
Agreed mostly m8, however.......we do not know IF GOA have been trying to take a less drastic approach to this problem, and this action is a last resort. Assuming they have done nothing is wrong.

For one thing, this may have nothing to do with the recent spate of virii, but instead iscolated incidents revolving around the hackers. We will probably never know. I still stand by my call thats its better late than never.

G

geysor

It's better late than never, but it's also better earlier than later.

T

Tesla Monkor

E & E volunteers never had access to the servers like that. The NPCs we run are places in our regular accounts, just like any other character.

Brannor had his snow vendo as a normal PC in there, and I have my own NPC there. Being E&E grants you no special access to regular servers.

Just to clear that up before it turns into a rumour. ;P

[Edit; typo]

R

rynnor

Originally posted by Jessy
Just my opinion and thought on this.

Its obvious from the emails that some tool, be it dev or not was used to spawn the mobs in emain, why are all the users now having their passwords changed and not just people with access to these tools...

Actually GOA's response to the German server problem basically implied that everyone had the requisite access to use these dev tools - not just the Eyes n ears etc although showing them these tools was maybe not such a great idea...

The thing I dont understand is what this has to do with your game password - anyone care to speculate???

S

smincy

so let me get thios straight, not only are they changing the game password, but their changing the subscription password also ?

now im truly f**ked. I hope the custoemr support doesnt suck as bad as u say, and last night i just got level 50 as well and was looking forward to playing around with some alts and getting some RvR action :(

G

geysor

The only reason for GOA to change EVERYONES game and subscription passwords is if a hacker got the list of users and passwords.

What other reason could there be?

This would not be a decision to be taken lightly.

S

svartmetall

so let me get thios straight, not only are they changing the game password, but their changing the subscription password also ?

now im truly f**ked. I hope the custoemr support doesnt suck as bad as u say, and last night i just got level 50 as well and was looking forward to playing around with some alts and getting some RvR action :(
It does, I'm afraid, GOA's customer 'support' is non-existent.

S

svartmetall

*gives up in disgust at STILL not being able to get into the game he pays to play and goes out to the pub*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom