Important notice : Game password being changed.

A

Alia_CBH

As the homepage suffers quite some traffic:
[2003-26-08]

Hello,

These last days, you have probably noticed unusual things on Dark Age of Camelot :

Shutdown of Rightnow !, our customer service tool.
Shutdown of the subscription system.
Unusual events on the Prydwen server.
Since the 18th of August, Dark Age of Camelot Europe has been the victim of computer crime, like many other well known online services.

GOA's technical team immediately implemented a series of preventive measures, which resulted in the shutdown of our customer service tool, Rightnow !, and of the subscription system.

We have also lodged a complaint with the competent authorities.

As a cautionary measure, we have decided to change your "game" passwords. The game servers should thus be stopped for a maximum of 5 hours. The procedure of sending the mails should take about 24 hours, so do not worry if you do not receive your email right away.

In the days to come we are going to process the change of all "subscription" passwords. Services shutdowns are thus planned in order to finalise the reinforcement of the security measures of our platform.

We will keep you informed during the week of the precise planning for the restart of the different services, and we are doing everything possible to ensure once again an optimal service.

The DAoC Team

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Originally posted by DAoC Team
[2003-26-08]

Hello,

These last days, you have probably noticed unusual things on Dark Age of Camelot :

Shutdown of Rightnow !, our customer service tool.
Shutdown of the subscription system.
Unusual events on the Prydwen server.
Since the 18th of August, Dark Age of Camelot Europe has been the victim of computer crime, like many other well known online services.

GOA's technical team immediately implemented a series of preventive measures, which resulted in the shutdown of our customer service tool, Rightnow !, and of the subscription system.

We have also lodged a complaint with the competent authorities.

As a cautionary measure, we have decided to change your "game" passwords. The game servers should thus be stopped for a maximum of 5 hours. The procedure of sending the mails should take about 24 hours, so do not worry if you do not receive your email right away.

In the days to come we are going to process the change of all "subscription" passwords. Services shutdowns are thus planned in order to finalise the reinforcement of the security measures of our platform.

We will keep you informed during the week of the precise planning for the restart of the different services, and we are doing everything possible to ensure once again an optimal service.

The DAoC Team

Am I reading this crap right that the servers were indeed hacked, and that the hacker/cracker managed to obtain all the account details? Nice to know.
Then, am I also reading this right that the servers will remain down till 5 hours from now? Or from noon, when they were shut down, till 5 in the afternoon? I guess I can only hope my new password email is among the first being send, or I can wait 24 hours... ffs.
Regards, Glottis

S

Sarnat

Geeez... Nice security from GOA and pretty damn slow reaction IMO. Though nothing system is foolproof if a competent attacker tries to breech it (proven many times).

I hope they didn't get anyone's CC number...

J

Jonaldo

Re: Re: Important notice : Game password being changed.

Originally posted by Glottis_Xanadu
Am I reading this crap right that the servers were indeed hacked, and that the hacker/cracker managed to obtain all the account details? Nice to know.
Then, am I also reading this right that the servers will remain down till 5 hours from now? Or from noon, when they were shut down, till 5 in the afternoon? I guess I can only hope my new password email is among the first being send, or I can wait 24 hours... ffs.
Regards, Glottis
You're reading between the lines.
They don't say they've been hacked and in fact anyone who has ever had a virus or worm or trojan on their pc is the victim of computer crime.

Better to be safe than sorry imo

K

knokkie

for mr im leet hacker oh so cool dude
[moderated abuse!]

ps.
Goa did good dissision too.
better that then acc hacked an gone forever.

L

loogiechiken

Yup, the recent 'outbreaks' and SoBig in particular report on various details found on infected systems.

D

Draylor

So thats what - 10 days from discovering the problem to informing their customers and having a plan in place to do something about it.

Completely and utterly useless - exactly what Id expect from GOA.

In any other line of business this wouldnt happen, but time and time again poor (no) online security for online gaming is considered acceptable.

You would have thought after the (alleged) DoS attacks against the servers in the early days GOA actually paid attention to the security of their network, but no - never assume common sense from them, theyve proven otherwise too many times in the past.

Is there ANYONE left that would ever choose to deal with GOA in the future?

C

Cap

Goa blow, everytime a user gets hacked it's "oh well, bad for you. You prob forgot not to write the subs details on a textfile on ur desktop". Seems this time GOA forgot not to write their root passwords to the subs servers in a textfile on their desktop. I hope they don't change it, cus its prob their own fault just like every customer that get hacked.

G

Glottis_Xanadu

Re: Re: Re: Important notice : Game password being changed.

Originally posted by Omniscieous
You're reading between the lines.
They don't say they've been hacked and in fact anyone who has ever had a virus or worm or trojan on their pc is the victim of computer crime.

Better to be safe than sorry imo

True, but the fact that Lyonesse and Prywden server both got "hacked" into kind of makes me think they got hacked, full stop.
Just annoyed really, had no time to play last weekend, wanted to have some fun now.. and then this happens :(
Regards, Glottis

D

dozigden

GOA admit falability and that theyre going to change subscription passwords - since they admit THEY cant keep them safe and need to change them i think its damn hypocritical they wont allow US to change them.

Change your passwords regularily is the first rule of computer security - GOA move out of the 1980s please...

M

midmaster

GOA does not use encryption when it comes to passwords afaik.
Old news, ppl have been complaining, but nobody has cared.

And what happens? We get SHIT for it since they, GOA, can't provide PAYING customers with a minimum of security.

C

Cap

Originally posted by dozigden
GOA admit falability and that theyre going to change subscription passwords - since they admit THEY cant keep them safe and need to change them i think its damn hypocritical they wont allow US to change them.

Change your passwords regularily is the first rule of computer security - GOA move out of the 1980s please...

Who needs computer security when one don't care about their customers, it's not like they care if a few chars here and there disapear aslong as ppl keep paying.

C

cHodAX

There was some kind of hack on the game servers, that is a FACT no matter how hard GOA deny it.

N

)nick(

Atleast they can't pin this one on mythic and snowstorms!

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by -nicolas-
Atleast they can't pin this one on mythic and snowstorms!

Leaves on the tracks I tell ya! :p

F

-fwapp-

cant even remember if the email i regisitered with is still accessable :( (was on AOL when i started now on BT so if its an aol email im fooked)

W

Whoodoo_RD

Re: Re: Important notice : Game password being changed.

Originally posted by Glottis_Xanadu
Regards, Glottis
Yet again Glottis you have proven youre a complete twat.

Firstly, thank you GOA for at least doing something. They could have just sat back think "feck em" but they didnt. Liek any business or web based game like this, it is prone to attacks from a variety of sources, normally players disgruntled or just plain morons with nothing better to do, so have a pop at teh virus writers and hackers who created the problem in the first place!

Servers remaining down for a mere 5 hours, well if it means my account is safe from theives, terrific. I dont give a rats arse hopw long it takes to ensure my details are safe. Get a life and go out somewhere and meet real ppl, play sommit else, get a hobby or a life ffs!

And heavan forbid should you have to wait 24 hours for your password, damn, can you feel your life slipping away while you wait?

For once in your miserable life say somethign constructive, and put your brain in gear before commiting yourself to more ridicule on these forums.

Draylor, careful m8, youre going his way too, all businesses including GOA do their best, but in the large world of the internet, there is always a hacker 1 step ahead, making new ways to break into web sites and servers around the globe. The more public attention a site has, the more prime target it is. To name a few comapnies who have suffered in recent times; ebay.com, government.gov.uk; the White House, the FBI, microsoft (MSBlast forced them to shut down the updating side), thesun.co.uk etc etc etc, so you couldnt be further from the truth in what you say.

Hate to say this, but the most hacked company in the world 90% of us are sitting here using their software, downloading their patches, buying 3rd party software liek firewalls and anti virus to protect. Yet still I see you are using their software, purchaing their new versions and still making Bill Gates laff at you.

/end rant :p

K

knokkie

If hackers/abusers our what so ever wanna get in they will.
Think they changed Prolly all data move up to other spot redo passwords.

In this case I dont think u shoult whine, our woult u like to get ur account hacked.
Only thing why they do it is to prefend u from that.

Groet,
Knokker

X

Xeanor

really fun when you can't access the e-mail box you registered with anymore.

L

lator

I think it is a hack or something very urgent. Why stop servers before stating that beforehand? And IMO if they werent this hurry, they should do this at late hours when least ppl in game. Free week or month for everyone... that would be more than fair (will never happen).

B

Bleri McThrust

In reply to a rant I had about last weeks grab bag

Bleri - those screenshots aren't pictures of a hack in progress. Reread the second paragraph of my answer - those are dev tools in action. Here on our servers, we've limited the number of people with access to those tools and ensured that you must be here inside our building to use them.

I don't know how GOA does it.

Sanya Thomas
Internet Relations Manager and Sacrificial Goat
Check out www.camelotherald.com for more information.

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by knokkie
If hackers/abusers our what so ever wanna get in they will.
Think they changed Prolly all data move up to other spot redo passwords.

In this case I dont think u shoult whine, our woult u like to get ur account hacked.
Only thing why they do it is to prefend u from that.

Groet,
Knokker

I have no idea what 90% of you typed says.

D

deadkid

now imagine... as u all know GOA fuck ups.. different passes will go to different emails o_O

S

svartmetall

I accept that any site/server can be hacked...I can't accept that taking EIGHT DAYS to do something about it = competence.

"Allo? C'est le fire station, oui...vouz havez un fire? OK...we 'ave someone round to chez vous soon, 'ow iz Monday for you? Bye."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom