Important Information and Q&A!

Chrismorris

Fledgling Freddie
We intend to have all of our servers open for the headstart. We don't want to force everyone onto a selection of servers just because all their friends with pre-orders had to start there.

Thanks for the fast responce Iain.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
We intend to have all of our servers open for the headstart. We don't want to force everyone onto a selection of servers just because all their friends with pre-orders had to start there.

That's indeed very nice news :)

Chey

Fledgling Freddie
Hi

Ive searched and searched the internet for an answer to this but all i find is more speculation than the last search revealed.

I am concerned because we have 4 SE copies ordered and with them 4 EA keys will be mailed to us.

But out of the 4 of us in the family that play online games, only 1 of us has a credit/debit card.

So please could you advise,

Will we be required to enter credit card details to create our account?

If an alternative method of subscription is to be gametime cards, will we be able to create our account without having to purchase one, when we havent even played our free month and decided if we want to stay?

If you are insisting on credit/debit card entry, will account ownership be linked to the credit card or just to the name on the account? ie a father can pay for his own account and his sons account with the same card, and i hear that you are only allowing 1 account per person.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
You won't need to enter payment details to create an account, you will be able to pay for multipel accounts with the same card and there won't be any restrictions on the card name needing to match the account name. Finally there will be other payment options available including game cards if you prefer.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
You won't need to enter payment details to create an account, you will be able to pay for multipel accounts with the same card and there won't be any restrictions on the card name needing to match the account name. Finally there will be other payment options available including game cards if you prefer.

Will you be accepting favours or Monopoly Money?

Chey

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for that uber fast response, i can sleep well now, who am i kidding im too bloody impatient for the 7th to come around to sleep :D

Faya

Fledgling Freddie
Prolly abit late but
THank you for that response,..now where is my Log in server?! :drink:

Faya

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
I am curious as to whether the problems i had trying to pay to play DAoC will carry over to WAR.
My bank, Alliance and Leicester started refusing to allow payments for DAoC due to their fraud department being concerned about payments to firms based outside the UK.
Is this likely to be the case with WAR as well?
I will of course be asking my bank about this as well, but as there are no clues to the name or location of where payments will be made as yet I am hoping this can be cleared up here.

longbow

Fledgling Freddie
I know Im coming in late on this discussion but for me one of the biggest headaches Ive had is the total lack of advertising in our local game shops. Not one of the shops around me have dispalyed as much as a single poster telling us that WAR is actually about to arrive. None of them were even aware (as of Monday 1 Sep) that WAR was even about to go live. And none of them are even aware that there is a pre-release available. The best most can offer is that they will get some in on the 18th Sep.
Come on just why is this so bad? If you compare it with the launch of WOW its totally incomprehensible to try to understand why there is so little advertising. WOW was advertised to the death -- people knew when it was coming - there were posters up - trailers being ran in the stores - and the staff knew what the game was about. I went into one shop and asked about ordering the game and they said Warhammer? your in the wrong shop you need to go to Games Workshop. This is bad considering that we are less than 2 weeks away from the game going live.
Is it to late to do something about this? Im guessing it is as it would take a fair time to design a poster print it and get it into stores. Magazines are no better - no big launch there either its really inexcusable.

Anyway thats my rave - apart from that Im really looking forward to getting a chance to play WAR.

partyanimal

Fledgling Freddie
wow beta server client was somehow slipped into internet.

there were a dozen different free beta servers available to big internet cafes and a few thousand players played for 1 month for free.

and thats how blizzard advertised wow without paying a cent...
on release date masses sieged the stores for 1 copy at 00.01...
:drink:

Javai

Fledgling Freddie

Very good news indeed, I don't suppose you could hint at how many English ones there will be ;)

Nate

FH is my second home
Thats not to say on release you may find more servers though, it's gotta be pretty difficult to predict the sales of the standard edition without pre-orders..it'll be everywhere.

Grimlorn

Fledgling Freddie
Are you suppose to be able to register your open beta keys at this moment?
I went to this site https://accounts.eamythic.com/ to make an account but it didn't accept my key. I also tried registering on War-Europe but couldn't because they aren't accepting new registration. I'm just trying to find out if I'm doing something wrong or not visiting the proper website.

stoff75

Fledgling Freddie
No, not yet. We're all waiting to input our golden codes somewhere nice...

Grimlorn

Fledgling Freddie
Do you have to wait until the 7th to do it or have they set a time maybe tomorrow or Saturday when they will open people to registering their keys?

This is my first beta, so I'm new to the process, and I want to make sure I do it right so I don't get stuck looking for help on registering the day it comes out. All the forums will be empty because people will be playing Warhammer. :D

stoff75

Fledgling Freddie
We are all waiting for them, no time set or announced. There are ofc fears that they will activate it on the 7th and it'll all go to hell since that flash thing isn't very cool under heavy load, not to mention that we may have to download the last part of the beta.. but no, nothing confirmed, all theorys and fears.
So just sit tight and wait for them to announce something.

clarkejust

Fledgling Freddie
All I would like to know is when will the EU customers who have recieved Open Beta Keys through pre-ordering or other means be able to create there accounts I see our friends over the pond have there site up and running ready for Sunday are we going to be ready for Sunday 7th ???

Morphus1

Fledgling Freddie
Well U.S. get a 2nd preview weekend + and we get stuck with traffic jams and bad mojo on sunday??
I'm running around the house talking to my girlfriend about this :( HELP!!

BLayzZE

Fledgling Freddie
All I would like to know is when will the EU customers who have recieved Open Beta Keys through pre-ordering or other means be able to create there accounts I see our friends over the pond have there site up and running ready for Sunday are we going to be ready for Sunday 7th ???

Apparently the official GOA answer is 'This Week'.

In reality it's been left to the last minute, which is really poor planning. Any number of things could go wrong, and probably will.

rynnor

Rockhound
not to mention that we may have to download the last part of the beta..

You wont need to patch to play on sunday - there is an optional language patch that will be around soon but you wont need it to play.

[UKLans]Khan

Fledgling Freddie
Hello!

I am trying to stay positive at the moment, the game is in great shape and you guys on the community team are doing a fine job.

A couple of questions:

First, which would have been asked a million times.... The WAR US web-site is brilliant, it feels like the game, looks great, and has lots of content. Do you have plans to create something similar? I hate to say this, but visiting the EU and US site after each other, I feel we are the "poor cousins" of our friends in the US :).

Why was the development of such a great site done in a way that it could be used for all the portals?

Second, I wonder if there is a way to syndicate official posts by GOA on the official site so people don't miss the daily interaction and news?

Thanks, peace out... oh wait...

Khan

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Hello!

I am trying to stay positive at the moment, the game is in great shape and you guys on the community team are doing a fine job.

A couple of questions:

First, which would have been asked a million times.... The WAR US web-site is brilliant, it feels like the game, looks great, and has lots of content. Do you have plans to create something similar? I hate to say this, but visiting the EU and US site after each other, I feel we are the "poor cousins" of our friends in the US :).

Why was the development of such a great site done in a way that it could be used for all the portals?

Second, I wonder if there is a way to syndicate official posts by GOA on the official site so people don't miss the daily interaction and news?

Thanks, peace out... oh wait...

Khan

When we first designed our site we had to get it passed by GW, they were happy with the look and feel of the site. We take all the feedback on the site and we try to improve it as much as possible. People complained that it was slow and we spent a lot of time optimising it to make it load faster and be more compliant with different browsers, we have also added a lot of features and content to it and there are more to come.

Our site policy is different to Mythic's, where Mythc have two sites (a marketing one and a news/community portal) we decided - based on our experience with exactly that setup for DAoC - to go with one site that filled all the roles at once. Thus the main focus of the site is news and community info (which will be more obvious when the game is live) with all the marketing stuff available through the side menu.

We are going to continue overhauling it and, really nothing is being ruled out as far as the design is concerned - it may be completely redesigned in future - but now there are different priorities and making sure it is feature complete is the most important thing. Once the game is live and all systems are done the web team will have the luxury of taking a second look at it.

There are no plans that I'm aware of to syndicate dev posts on the official site (although it's a great idea and I'll pass it on), however I know a number of fansites are planning a global syndication feature like this. We will have syndication tools on the website though to enable fansites to more easily keep updated news and features.

[UKLans]Khan

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the detail in reply IanC, really appreciate it and it's great to be heard.

Have a great weekend (bet it's busy though ;))

Khan

Gorbash

One of Freddy's beloved
In response to IanC's assurances about the development of the current EU webby: If i may say, the look and feel of the EU site is not the problem. Personally I think it looks fine. The problem with it is the flash platform it's been built on, and here's why:

Flash is ideal for displaying rich content such as streaming video, animated graphics etc, but serving an entire site through it is so much more cumbersome and inflexible for both server and client, and more importantly, does not offer any level of end-user accessability and web standard conformity.

The same look and feel of the current site can easily be achieved with an XHTML/CSS approach, with the interactive functionality currently being implemented by flash done with server side technologies such as PHP/ASP/JSP etc, finally with flash being used for non-critical rich content.

A few good reasons for doing so are thus:
  • text content in perticular is served directly to the browser, not to the flash plugin, allowing end users to style said text at thier discretion via thier browser's functionality. This is a critical function of web accessability which has been completely removed with the current EU site.
  • flash is a 3rd party addon, and thus should only be used for content that the browser doesnt know how to display natively. Forcing users to require a 3rd party browser add-on to view plain text, still-images and content layout is comparable to asking people to breathe through a mouthpiece, even though they are already fully equipped to breathe through thier mouths. I can't stress this point enough when it comes to the critical systems like account management - to have interaction with these systems done via a 3rd party addon is just plain irresponsible. We as end users simply dont want it, and I for one plain dont trust it.
  • A large aspect of good web development is seperating content from layout. Lets say I have an HTML document that contains all the text, links etc, with an attached stylesheet that defines all of the layout, static image content (color schemes, background images etc) for that HTML doc. As a user, I can choose to disable that stylesheet via my browser, or even apply my own, while still having all of the information from the page I want. Flash as you have implemented it completly flushes this concept down the toilet, forcing users to view the page as defined by the flash file. I ask you to try this yourself: open freddyshouse in opera, stick it in user mode and youwill find all the information you want for the page is still there. Do the same for the WAR EU site, and you find that nothing at all is there. only image content.

There are of course many other reason why using flash to deliver the entire site's contents are detrimental to the end-user experience, but I believe the above highlights my main concerns. The bottom line is, flash should not be how any web page is delivered to the end user.

Please, if you really do plan on improoving your website, take the advice of everyone here when we say that the most significant thing you can do to is at this time is move away from flash. Trust me when I say, the effort is worth it.

Idris

Fledgling Freddie
I'd like to add rss from the Euro site, definitely. And would be great if news from the US could be added somewhere just so I don't have to have the rss from the US site too.

Other than that, I don't have a problem with Flash - as long as it does a better job than during some of the old DAoC sign-ups. We'll definitely know that on sunday!

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
This have been asked a couple of times, and answered with "not yet"; but given the time I think it is time to do so again:

When do we get server names?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom