Im going deaf!

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
I use my eyes everyday, you'll be telling me that if i look at too much stuff my eyes will start to wear out next... :|

Go look at the sun for a month, we'll see how great your eyes are afterwards..

liloe

It's my birthday today!
eggy said:
I know it's incredible isn't it.

I go to a lot of Rock gigs. Was at a Babyshambles gig in Whitechapel's Rhythm Factory a few weeks ago. Tiny venue, incredibly bad acoustics and stupidly driven amps. I had ear plugs, but without them it was actually hurting my ears; couldn't stay in the same room. It just amazes me how 200 people can stand there getting intense hearing damage and not be bothered by it. Same at a Infadels gig in Astoria (supporting GLC).

Loudest gig I've ever been to was probably Foo Fighters at the front of Earls Court or Avenged Sevenfold in Astoria. Sickeningly damaging.

You only have 1 pair of ears.

All I can say is:

"Welcome to the Manowar concert. If your hearing is disturbed within the first 10 minutes of the concert, you are allowed a refund of your concert card, have fun"

That's no joke, that's what the dude said and one of the people who was there couldn't hear much for the next days....no comment.

Ok I agree that I've only worn earplugs once, cause it was a concert in an arena and actually when standing at the top the noise was too much, I'd say 50% more than right in front of the band but I agree that if you go to gigs often (I'd like to, but I live in the middle of nowhere), then specialized earplugs are the way to go cause they're really good.

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
not mine :) *puts fingers in ears* la la la la la la, not listening, la la la la laaaaa...

Dude... its simple mechanics... take a hammer and smash your fingers with it. Will they take damage? Sure they will.

Take sonic shockwaves and keep pounding your ears with them. Will they take damage? Sure they will.

Yes, a hammer doesnt have as much impulse as sound waves but don't forget your ear is actualy built to focus and amplify sound waves and that the nerve cells in it are almost unprotected in terms of shock.

You might think you didnt suffer damage yet but thats just your brain filtering and inter/extrapolating the input from your ears. It is capable of compensating for alot but at some point the input from your ears will be fubar and then you will have a problem.

Everz

FH is my second home
Some things dont add up, i used to listen to my ipod at full sound, usually fell asleep yet my hearing is still the same as it was before ? :x

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
<Shrug> this threads got me worried bout fucking up my hearing, i usually just pump music at high volumes, but i do listen to it at a more acceptable levels just because it depends on what type of music, i dont put jack johnson or ben harper on as loud as i can, but i dont listen to mos def at low volumes eithar. hmm i suppose since these headphones go right into my ear i should play them at lower volumes anyway. <Wants his skullcrushers back that give ringing in ears after 20 mintues of full volume when listening to devildriver>

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Eversmallx said:
Some things dont add up, i used to listen to my ipod at full sound, usually fell asleep yet my hearing is still the same as it was before ? :x

One day you'll wake up, your ears will be ringing, and you'll be fucked.

I can't stress more strongly; look after your ears. Damage caused when young is amplified (excuse the pun) by the natural deteriation of your ears because of age.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
no more "ringing" \o/
will be going doc's on friday to do a hearing test or something like that anyway tho

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
no more "ringing" \o/
will be going doc's on friday to do a hearing test or something like that anyway tho

Good stuff. That means your ears have "recovered" from the session (although they will be more damaged than before). Next time your inner ear hairs will take longer to clear, so I strongly suggest you take this experience as a warning; start wearing ear protection in gigs!

Bahumat

FH is my second home
eggy said:
Good stuff. That means your ears have "recovered" from the session (although they will be more damaged than before). Next time your inner ear hairs will take longer to clear, so I strongly suggest you take this experience as a warning; start wearing ear protection in gigs!

haha i can see it now, he's at a concert with condom's on either ear :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
All this "you WILL get ear ringing" and "you WILL get STD if you don't wear a condom" is bull.

It's always MIGHT.

Never WILL.

Gees.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
All this "you WILL get ear ringing" and "you WILL get STD if you don't wear a condom" is bull.

It's always MIGHT.

Never WILL.

Gees.

It's highly unlikely that you would get ear ringing from wearing a condom.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
im not actually reading this thread anymore - if some of you can't accept that it IS possible that some humans are slightly different from others and that some CAN actually cope with loud noises over a period of time better than others, then i'm afraid that your views are too insane for me...

Show me the blueprint for a standard human and i'll show you one with a tusk growing out of his back, one with horns, one with the ability to hold it's breath underwater longer than any other, one who can dive deeper than anyone else, one who can pull a car with his eyelids... want me to go on?

It's the human body, if theres one thing i learned in my life it's that every human is unique and scientific theories are there to be disproved...

accept it :)

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
im not actually reading this thread anymore - if some of you can't accept that it IS possible that some humans are slightly different from others and that some CAN actually cope with loud noises over a period of time better than others, then i'm afraid that your views are too insane for me...

Show me the blueprint for a standard human and i'll show you one with a tusk growing out of his back, one with horns, one with the ability to hold it's breath underwater longer than any other, one who can dive deeper than anyone else, one who can pull a car with his eyelids... want me to go on?

It's the human body, if theres one thing i learned in my life it's that every human is unique and scientific theories are there to be disproved...

accept it :)

All true except for hearing. Ear drums and related mechanics are extremely similar between all humans. Your brains reaction to hearing damage, however, varies between humans.

One day, your ear hairs will give in, and you will have terrible problems.

"accept it" ;)

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
no, you cannot say that!! Just cos no study has shown someone NOT get tinnitus, you think it can't happen?? Stop being a slave to science!

Im sure that at some point you'll realise that man is prone to being wrong frequently and this is what makes up a big part of being human. It's called discovery - just because you haven't seen proof, doesn't mean it's not real.

The human body is an amazing thing - don't try to apply a rule to it, it'll f*ck you up when you least expect it :)

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
*shrug* i guess take the risk or dont take the risk ;p i refuse to even use headphones anymore lol ^^

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
no, you cannot say that!! Just cos no study has shown someone NOT get tinnitus, you think it can't happen?? Stop being a slave to science!

Im sure that at some point you'll realise that man is prone to being wrong frequently and this is what makes up a big part of being human. It's called discovery - just because you haven't seen proof, doesn't mean it's not real.

The human body is an amazing thing - don't try to apply a rule to it, it'll f*ck you up when you least expect it :)

I never said Tinnitus. I said you will get hearing damage.

You will. Well, you already will have, you just haven't noticed it yet.

You will.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Ah, tinnitus, hearing loss, damaged hearing... all in the same wheelbarrow...

well i disagree - and i don't trust scientists... they are wrong too often when it concerns the human body. Until someone is tested until the day they die, there is no fair comparison for the claim, and i sorely doubt anyone test has been that thorough. Doesn't the fact that some people can hear one reasonably loud noise and suffer instant hearing damage indicate to you that it could go the other way too? If one person has exceptionally low resistance to loud noises, then it stands to reason that some will be less likely to suffer, hence a stronger resistance...

Science is so much bunk - they pass off half baked tests as fact and humans live in fear of everything they are told harms you.

If you read that living near a main road increases your chance of hearing loss by 50% then you get worried - half over again the chance of hearing damage?!? The fact that they don't tell you the initial chance of suffering hearing loss is maybe 0.000001% in this situation means nothing to us...

It's often as much about whats NOT said as what is revealed...

Chosen

Resident Freddy
I bought myself a new headset for like half a year ago, the best you could get! I always listen to my music at full volume, I even sleep with them on sometimes! My hearing is not damaged at all, I got perfect score when I had to take the test to be recruited to the army! Everytime I listen to music on my computer I turn up the volume to 100%, and I've done that for years. Wierd that I haven't damaged my ears yet then.

Can only remember once having the annoying sound in my ear, and that was when a snowball hit me there! ;-P

liloe

It's my birthday today!
eggy said:
PS: If you can't hear the TV noise, you're either over the age of 40 or have very bad high-frequency response in your ears.

I'm sorry for digging this up again, buuut I got a question eggy. You seem to have some knowledge in the materia, so if you hear the TV sound your high frequency hearing is ok? But...I know people who haven't been exposed a lot to loud music, but still can't hear it while it's driving me crazy ( I can hear that friggen TV through a closed door sometimes ).

And something else about the "customizable earplugs". How far will they be customized on the ear? Is it just basic stuff like "I wanna listen to metal gigs" or is it more scientific?

Bori

Fledgling Freddie
I think I've got tinnitus, haven't really checked it though, but can always here this slight buzzing/ringing in me ears whenever it's somewhat quiet.
Not really that bothered by it though, so dunno what all the fuss is about, might not really have it I guess. So might not understand the distress of it all :)

Do you just book a doctors appointment to check it?
(was too lazy to read the whole 8 pages;<)

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
ive got ringing in my ears, never even thought about it tbh

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Bori said:
I think I've got tinnitus, haven't really checked it though, but can always here this slight buzzing/ringing in me ears whenever it's somewhat quiet.
Not really that bothered by it though, so dunno what all the fuss is about, might not really have it I guess. So might not understand the distress of it all :)

Do you just book a doctors appointment to check it?
(was too lazy to read the whole 8 pages;<)

Nearly everyone has alittle tinnitus. There was a test made where they discovered that something like 90% of people has just alittle. They just never notice because it's so quiet and they have to listen for it.
Unless it really bothers you i don't think there is a need to seek a doctor.

Bori said:
Not really that bothered by it though, so dunno what all the fuss is about

ohhohorly? :p
Tinnitus can't really be generalized. There are different pitches and different "volumes".
Some have that deep *doooooo*"classic" sound. I on the hand have a very high pitched one just alittle deeper than the sound bad TV's make. Or that strange sound when you turn other TV's on.
It's all very individual.

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Bori said:
Not really that bothered by it though, so dunno what all the fuss is about, might not really have it I guess.

It can be a killer. I locked myself in for 2 weeks once and was close to going insane. One moment I was crying like a little girl, the next I was so agressive I could have killed. Eventually the intensity subsided but its still annoying when I want to sleep.

Ashala

One of Freddy's beloved
Chosen said:
I bought myself a new headset for like half a year ago, the best you could get!

which ones ?

i have some pretty good ones but doubt they are the best :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
what is this tv noise you speak of? just that weird electrical sound you can hear when a tv is switched on? i can hear all over teh house when a tv is switched on, even if it doesnt have any volume etc.

not everyone can hear it. if you go sit in a quiet area you can hear that low humming background noise. not everyone can hear that either, regardless of their ears being damaged or not.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
There are sub-sonic vibrations that effect the entire of the UK apparently, due to various buried cables, motorways, tube and main line trains etc. which can be picked up when everythings gone quiet as a gentle humming noise...

We live in a vibrating country... ooooh, yeah! :D

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
thats what im talking about redi. but some people with perfectly normal hearing that hasnt been damaged, cannot hear that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom