Im going deaf!

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
we know what your saying, stop trying to be the fucking "i am more clever than you, so you dont understand me" smart ass guy. that was at bjack by the way

i'm not trying to act clever. But for some reason you feel the need to defend yourself. When all we are saying is that you should take care of your ears.
why go all teenage rebel "I don't have to do what you say"
It's advice.. and good advice at that.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i wasnt doing that. i was simply stating i am happy go lucky.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Blackjack said:
i'm not trying to act clever. But for some reason you feel the need to defend yourself. When all we are saying is that you should take care of your ears.
why go all teenage rebel "I don't have to do what you say"
It's advice.. and good advice at that.
No, you said if we don't wear earplugs we WILL damage our hearing...

that's simply not a proveable point and the amount of times you've insisted on pointing that out and telling us we're wrong is insane...

Oh, hang on - i need to change the tune on my MP3 player... this ones not loud enough :m00:

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
i wasnt doing that. i was simply stating i am happy go lucky.

Taking cocaine and going clubbing is happy go lucky.

Drinking until you puke is happy go lucky.

Getting married at 19 in Vegas is happy go lucky.

Standing next to a speaker stack for 4 hours with no hearing protection is not.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
and also, you said we dont/wont understand what you are saying. i understand it perfectly well, and im also sure my boyfriend redi does aswell.

edit: maybe not in your oppinion eggy. but happy go lucky isnt a set thing, and for me its something else :)

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
that's simply not a proveable point

Yes, it is a proveable point.

You will damage your hearing if you do not wear hearing protection, and inflict yourself with over 100db (A) of sound for more than 2.5 minutes, on average.

I picked 100 as that's an average Rock gig.

85 + will damage your hearing, after 15 mins+

It is a fact.

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
No, you said if we don't wear earplugs we WILL damage our hearing...

that's simply not a proveable point and the amount of times you've insisted on pointing that out and telling us we're wrong is insane...

Actually i haven't said it was 100% certain. I said that you will most likely damage your hearing you might be one of the lucky few who doesn't notice it, hearing might still be damaged and slowly getting worse. But why take the chance when all you have to do is wear earplugs?
doctors have already said that damage to your hearing is a "Very big problem" in society and it's getting worse. Why ignore it?

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Blackjack said:
you might be one of the lucky few who doesn't.

There aren't any lucky few. There are some who don't experience as much ringing or pressure in later life, but everyone who exposes themselves to loud music is, literally, destroying their inner ear.

Here's a good test. Next rock gig you're at, push down the small ear flap over your ear canal. Notice how everything sounds, hold it for ten seconds or so. Then, release and you will feel the damage that's being inflicted upon you. After ten minutes or so, your inner ear hairs will have completely given up trying to protect and permanent damage will be happening.

Of course, this is proportionate to room nodes, distance from speakers, location in stereo field, frequency range and harmonics, amount of limiting on the amps, quality of amps, size of room, acoustics of room etc.

Here's a quote from a decent article on the subject:

Two types of hearing damage can result from exposure to loud noise: sensineural hearing loss and tinnitus. Sensorineural hearing loss happens in the inner ear when high energy sound waves, rippling through ear fluid, overstimulate and kill hair cells. When hair cells for a band of frequencies are destroyed, those frequencies are no longer heard. In addition to being at the frontline of the cochleal sensor array, the high frequency hair cells are also the most sensitive. It is not surprising, then, that noise-induced hearing loss typically begins with the high frequencies in the 3kHz-6kHz range. Cochlear implants may improve hearing function in those cases, where the auditory nerve cells (that connect to the hair cells) are still intact.

If loud noise only damages the hair cells beyond their capacity to heal completely, then either hearing at certain frequencies will be diminished and/or the listener will suffer tinnitus, when the damaged cells fire continuously even though there is no real sound. Tinnitus is typically described as a persistent, loud buzz in the head at the frequency of the hearing damage. For some tinnitus sufferers, the buzz is very loud - 90dB or more - and can compromise the quality of life, not to mention completely ruin all ability to enjoy music. Diminished hearing can be corrected to a degree with hearing aids. Tinnitus is currently not curable, but there are treatments and devices to minimize its impact on the sufferer.

Can I “Toughen Up” My Ears?

No. If you think you have grown used to a loud noise, it probably has damaged your ears, and there is no treatment–no medicine, no surgery, not even a hearing aid–that completely restores your hearing once it is damaged by noise.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
so 'mon then, how loud does this noise have to be to effect MY hearing?

I'd love to know, as i would've thought that the threshold for what is considered loud enough to damage someones ears will change from person to person...

Everyones tolerence of everything is varied, so scientific studies into anything about the human body can only have the results applied to that particular individual (or an average gathered over several individuals, but still only applicable to them particular folks) so it's all only rough work anyway...

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
so 'mon then, how loud does this noise have to be to effect MY hearing?

I'd love to know, as i would've thought that the threshold for what is considered loud enough to damage someones ears will change from person to person...

Everyones tolerence of everything is varied, so scientific studies into anything about the human body can only have the results applied to that particular individual (or an average gathered over several individuals, but still only applicable to them particular folks) so it's all only rough work anyway...

Unfortunately not true about hearing.

Hearing is incredibly delicate and varies very little in terms of damage from person to person. If you have exposed yourself as much as you say you have, then you will have embarked on the path to serious hearing loss.

Every single person who stands near the stage in a crowd at a Foo Fighters concert for 2 hours with no hearing protection will walk out of there having damaged their ears. In comparable terms, the amount of damage is the same. Nobody has tough ears, nobody has immunity to sound damage. Their brains reaction, coupled with stress, genetics, medication, drugs etc will make them experience varying levels of effects, but in the long run everyone will be at a similar point.

I wont argue about it any more. It is a fact, pure and simple.

The irony is, those who love music are the ones fucking up their ears. In 5 to 10 years, when your hearing range has decreased to 1kHz to 6 kHz, you might see things differently.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
you cannot say that!! Stop claiming stuff as fact when it's obviously not, dude!

If all humans thought the way you do then nothing would ever advance - just because someone says it's a fact, it doesn't make it so, and you're a mug if you believe them.

When was this study done? Where was this study done? What kind of lives did the study cases live? What kind of other ailments or hereditary faults did they suffer from? There are too many factors in a humans life to say that 100% fact they will have their hearing damaged from that.

Person A might go completely deaf in the first 30 seconds whereas person B might stand there every night for 10 years and not suffer a single ill effect.

Stop claiming facts where there are none more solid than a white paper from a student...

I've been listenind to it, loud and proud, for at least half of my 30 years and can say with medical confirmation that i have fantastic hearing, with no defects at all - my company medical includes a hearing test.

I use my eyes everyday, you'll be telling me that if i look at too much stuff my eyes will start to wear out next... :|

Rhori

Fledgling Freddie
just drop it :p

Redi en tris- are happy with what they did, their choice

eggy and Blackjack wouldn't do that since they don't wanna risk their hearing, their choice

and now give up with this discussion since you won't convince them in doing something they're not happy with

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Rhori said:
eggy and Blackjack wouldn't do that since they don't wanna risk their hearing, their choice

Wrong, i already risked my hearing and lost.
I can pass a hearing test perfectly. What i can't do on the other hand is experience silence ever again.
I don't care if they think im stupid. If i made them think about what they are doing. Even if it's just a tiny bit. It was worth it to me.

Rhori

Fledgling Freddie
Rhori said:
just drop it :p

Redi en tris- are happy with what they did, their choice

eggy almost fucked up his hearing but is protecting it now, his choice

and Blackjack did it allready and doesn't want the two of you (Redi en tris-) to get the same

and now give up with this discussion since you won't convince them in doing something they're not happy with
this better? :p

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Rhori said:
this better? :p

I started to notice the effects of my exposure to live music a few months ago, some nights aren't silent any more... so now I make sure I use earplugs to attenuate the damaging levels, as there is no way I would want to live with any level of permanent Tinitus. It's hell, as I'm sure Blackjack will agree.

And for me, I didn't notice anything...ears rang a little the day after a gig/club, but were fine within 12 hours. Suddenly, it hit me.

I've done all the damage I would ever want to do to my ears. I wish I could take that back but I can't. Once your brain gives up trying to mask the noise of tinitus, you start hearing it a lot more. I consider myself very lucky I'm not one of the mugs who won't be able to hear properly in 5-10 years.

Rhori

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
I started to notice the effects of my exposure to live music a few months ago, some nights aren't silent any more... so now I make sure I use earplugs to attenuate the damaging levels, as there is no way I would want to live with any level of permanent Tinitus. It's hell, as I'm sure Blackjack will agree.

And for me, I didn't notice anything...ears rang a little the day after a gig/club, but were fine within 12 hours. Suddenly, it hit me.

I've done all the damage I would ever want to do to my ears. I wish I could take that back but I can't. Once your brain gives up trying to mask the noise of tinitus, you start hearing it a lot more. I consider myself very lucky I'm not one of the mugs who won't be able to hear properly in 5-10 years.
changed it for ya :p

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
You can't pass a hearing test perfectly if you suffer from tinitus...

To be honest it's yet another thing that strikes me as a study that only one side will ever be considered. If you suffer from Tinitus you will say something, but i sorely doubt that anyones last words were "AND i never suffered Tinitus, so tell them bastards they were wrong..."

You cannot, and i really mean cannot, state that everyone who listens to loud music will damage their hearing/get tinitus/go deaf etc. it's always going to be a part-fact that it's a possibility, but in the same breath as you saying "might happen" then you would have to conceded that it "might not" as well :)

Outlander

Part of the furniture
also gravity is not real. in fact it is all scales that are wrong and we we are just all really heavy, thats why we dont float away!

loud noise damages hearing, deal with it.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
not mine :) *puts fingers in ears* la la la la la la, not listening, la la la la laaaaa...

Rhori

Fledgling Freddie
Equador said:
You didn't change anything, you little postfarmer! :p
then you were to late to look at my first qoute! you hobo :p

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Chronictank said:
Went to a gig and now i have this constant tone in one ear and it feels like there is pressure on the inside (its hard to describe) , i thought it might go away overnight but it hasnt. I was pretty close to the front, i been to quite a few events and never had something like this before.
Already sorted a doctors appointment, but should i be worried :S

my friend had this for 2 weeks after going to some long ass metal gig :p his hearing is ok now, just take it easy.

on a side not a got a pair of inear headphones today, while i wait to find out what is going on wiht my skullcrusher headphones. Man these rock, even catchs the low bass, and the mids and highs rock! nothing replaces skullcrushers tho :(

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
my friend had this for 2 weeks after going to some long ass metal gig :p his hearing is ok now, just take it easy.

on a side not a got a pair of inear headphones today, while i wait to find out what is going on wiht my skullcrusher headphones. Man these rock, even catchs the low bass, and the mids and highs rock! nothing replaces skullcrushers tho :(

Hearing damage from headphones is even worse. Watch out for your iPod levels if you want to hear past 30. As the sound is focussed purely on almost touching contact with your internal hearing organs, you tread a risky line if you listen at very high levels.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
You can't pass a hearing test perfectly if you suffer from tinitus...

Yes you can. Tinitus doesn't destroy the levels of frequency your ears can detect, it imposes a residing tone/series of tones/noise/fuzz on the top of everything. You can still hear frequencies, but some are blocked or harder to make out by the over-riding noise. Turn your TV on (if it's a tube), hear that high pitched noise? Multiply the intensity by ten, put it right inside your head, behind your eyes, then have that 24 hours every single day of your life. That's tinitus.

Tinitus is irreversible. It is not curable. It won't go away (once your ears give up permanently). However, it will drive you crazy, break up relationships, turn you into someone you weren't before and fuck your sober, conscious life up.

PS: If you can't hear the TV noise, you're either over the age of 40 or have very bad high-frequency response in your ears.

Yshynsin

Fledgling Freddie
tbh, i don't have tinnitus, but i have recognised my hearing is pretty shit compaired to my mates, and im gonna stop listening to stuff as load as normal :D

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Wow

Never had any idea this could happen, luckily enough i don't go to gigs but i have a _really_ loud set of headphones so this has made me think maybe i don't need to have them so loud. I've never experienced ringing as such, so I'm not doing any damage i would guess, even so its amazing how little people know about this, including me.

Rep to eggy and blackjack tbh.

Outlander

Part of the furniture
reading in paper today about possible new treatment for tinititunitus involving drugs used to combat jet-lag. still being developed/tested but neato news for sufferers.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom