Im going deaf!

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Went to a gig and now i have this constant tone in one ear and it feels like there is pressure on the inside (its hard to describe) , i thought it might go away overnight but it hasnt. I was pretty close to the front, i been to quite a few events and never had something like this before.
Already sorted a doctors appointment, but should i be worried :S

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

"Since there is no 'cure' for tinnitus, only treatment, it is wise to take precautions to prevent it occurring. If you hear a ringing in your ears after exposure to a loud environment such as a concert or work place, it means damage is being done. If it is not possible to limit your exposure, consider wearing earplugs or ear defenders - a legal requirement for workplace environments over 85dB in England. For musicians and DJs, special musicians' earplugs can lower the volume of the music without distorting the sound and can prevent tinnitus developing in later years."

Time to buy your earplugs it seems :)

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
It amazes me how ignorant people are of their hearing. It's like this...

If you do not wear ear protection while standing in a loud zone at a gig, you will damage your hearing permanently (depending on gig of course). You're likely to be experiencing 110dBA levels of sound for over an hour.

There is no question, you will damage your hearing.

The louder and longer your exposure to a sound, the longer your ears take to recover. For example, go to a nightclub dancefloor and stay there an hour or more. Your ears might 'ring' a little the next day, but this will usually subside. If you went to the same club the next day, your chance of permanently damaging your hearing increases dramatically.

The more you hurt your ears, the less they recover.

I would suggest purchasing some decent earplugs (no, not big yellow things sticking out of your ears). If you really like live gigs like me, get some equalised discrete plugs. Nobody can see them, and the quality of music will be better than without (but attenuated). Some plugs literally do blanket attenuation, others attenuate different frequencies to different levels.

I often see people standing in front of a set of speakers in a gig/club. They have either already lost the best part of their hearing without knowing, or are too stupid to move.

If you aren't standing dead-centre in a rock gig, one ear will experience more noise than the other, causing balance problems in the morning (hence one ear ringing). Ringing can take several days to subside, but hopefully it will.

Seriously though, look after your ears; tinitus destroys sleep, relationships, causes depression and drives you crazy. And there is no cure.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
well not exactly face up to the speakers, but i was close enough to see the band itself. thing is i been going there for a while now in roughly the same place (they got little booths round the side where you can sit).
But point being i have been going there for quite a while now and never experienced anything before (not even ringing) so came as rather a shock to me, anyhow will see what the doctor says i guess

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:

To late to be worried. You have caused permanent damage to your inner ear. The pressure-like feeling will go away. The ringing will stay. You brain will sooner or later start fading it out so you wont go insane from it but your hearing will be impaired due to that.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
well not exactly face up to the speakers, but i was close enough to see the band itself. thing is i been going there for a while now in roughly the same place (they got little booths round the side where you can sit).
But point being i have been going there for quite a while now and never experienced anything before (not even ringing) so came as rather a shock to me, anyhow will see what the doctor says i guess

You go to a gig for the first time in your life, you get home. No problem, your ears recover.

You go to a gig for the xth time in your life, you get home. Your ears are ringing. Your ears are tired of recoving from something so often and their protection has been lowered/damaged.

There are other factors that influence the damage to your ears. The most sensitive point for hearing is around the 3kHz-4kHz mark. If you're unlucky/stupid enough to be standing at a room-node where that frequency range is amplified by the acoustics, you are doing twice the damage as if you were standing 2m away.

Mey

Part of the furniture
pwned'rly...

Another common causes is people with ubberly loud headphones innit.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
It doesn't just apply to gigs

Every man and his dog has an MP3 player. The louder and longer you plug your ears to the noise the greater the damage

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:

Every bit of loud noise does tiny amounts of damage to your ears. It stacks up.

Another thing that is said to cause tinitus after extended periods of time is electromagnetical fields e.g. cellphone aerials (not the ones in the mobiles but the ones on the roofs) and highvoltage power lines (the ones hanging from the huge pylons).

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
Went to a gig and now i have this constant tone in one ear and it feels like there is pressure on the inside (its hard to describe) , i thought it might go away overnight but it hasnt. I was pretty close to the front, i been to quite a few events and never had something like this before.

/sings geting old , getting old , getting old ;)

Nah if it's still bad go check with the doctor dude. no point in taking chances with your hearing.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
i had something like this but after 3 days i was fine.

if its there after a week i would start to worry about long term dmg

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
i had something like this but after 3 days i was fine.

if its there after a week i would start to worry about long term dmg

You've done long-term damage, but the audible effects have subsided.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Dude, im gonna be 30 this year - i spent most of my life going to live gigs, mostly metal. When i've not been at gigs, i've been at clubs (everything from metal to happy hardcore, oldskool DnB to funky "salsoul" disco nights) and my ears are fine.

Im accused of speaking quietly and of mumbling, but i spent my entire teens and most of my 20's in the loudest places in London - a bit of peace and quiet is something i'm owed, dammit!

Just don't sleep in the speaker cabs or anything, and dont stick screwdrivers in your ears and you'll be alright :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
eggy said:
You've done long-term damage, but the audible effects have subsided.

omg! the sounds hurt your ears so bad it causes random bold words in your sentences :)

aghhh i got it too now!

i've been fine ever since and my hearing is pretty good :)

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
eggy said:
It amazes me how ignorant people are of their hearing.

I can only agree. and tbh i can't even make fun of this.

I never listened to loud music. i never went to a concert. i rarely went to discos. all in all, i took pretty good care of my ears. Yet i got tinnitus from a simple night out.
And trust me when i say it is no laughing matter.

FFS people wear some damn earplugs! you will curse yourselfs for the rest of your life if/when you get tinnitus.

You do not have to stand close to the speakers. The decibel level at concerts and discos is waaay too high, just being there puts you are risk.
I really hope, for your sake Chronic, that it goes away over the next couple of days.

Jeriraa

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
Dude, im gonna be 30 this year - i spent most of my life going to live gigs, mostly metal. When i've not been at gigs, i've been at clubs (everything from metal to happy hardcore, oldskool DnB to funky "salsoul" disco nights) and my ears are fine.

Im accused of speaking quietly and of mumbling, but i spent my entire teens and most of my 20's in the loudest places in London - a bit of peace and quiet is something i'm owed, dammit!

Just don't sleep in the speaker cabs or anything, and dont stick screwdrivers in your ears and you'll be alright :)

Carry on... we're gonna see how you are in 20 years then.

I dont understand why people protect their eyesight at all costs but dont care for their hearing. When out in the streets usaly you hear things before you see them dont you? Hear what happens out of your field of view dont you?

What you wrote makes me upset. You put your hearing at risk because of ignorance and stupidity. I always protected mine but was unlucky and still took damage to my left ear.
First a gunshot - deaf for 2 days.
Years later a firecracker instantly detonating after I lit the fuse - massive ringing in left ear for a couple of hours.
Last a malfunctioning airback (say thankya Renault - knew I should have stuck to German cars) - 2 weeks of high pitched fun.

In the end I am not deaf but stuck with severly impared hearing on my left ear. Due to the frequency ranges affected I have trouble understanding human speech when in crowded areas or areas with diffuse background noise. People are irritated and sometimes even getting angry when I tell them I cant understand what they say. Many think I am making fun of them.
When its quiet around me the filter my brain has created to keep me from going insane over the constant high pitched ring doesnt work well and the ringing comes back. Usaly I have a hard time falling asleep because of that.
Last but not least, alcohol makes it temporary worse.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
omg! the sounds hurt your ears so bad it causes random bold words in your sentences :)

aghhh i got it too now!

i've been fine ever since and my hearing is pretty good :)

There's no need to be sarcastic.

I'm just trying to give my honest opinion having done a degree in varying aspects of Acoustics.

Sure, you might feel fine (brain blocks out a lot of hearing problems), each next time you are exposed to loud sounds, your ears will be damaged more, and recover more slowly (if at all).

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
I used to go clay pigeon shooting, so gunshots next to my ear for years i seem to have gotten over.

I had my left eardrum burst when i was wrestling at Brean Sands Pontins - numpty called Flying Phil Powers slapped me upside the heeed and popped it. Hurt like a bastard next day, but i got over it.

I've been on stage with Snuff, seen over 500 bands live, been to a million clubs and still i have perfect hearing and am probably one of the quietest people i know. Some say i'm too quiet, but i say people in general are too loud. When you're used to shouting you can't hear the whispers.

Some people CAN get by life just getting on with it and NOT end up deaf/blind/braindamaged from something or other...

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Rediknight said:
Some people CAN get by life just getting on with it and NOT end up deaf/blind/braindamaged from something or other...

Yes some people can. But the fact that you are ready to simply gamble that you are one of these people tells a lot about you. And not in a good way.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
immortal til proven otherwise ;)

hey, i could be a lot worse things than an optimist... i could be a goth!! :eek7:

Bahumat

FH is my second home
eggy said:
There's no need to be sarcastic.

I'm just trying to give my honest opinion having done a degree in varying aspects of Acoustics.

Sure, you might feel fine (brain blocks out a lot of hearing problems), each next time you are exposed to loud sounds, your ears will be damaged more, and recover more slowly (if at all).

yeah sorry about that, i knew i was being sarcastic but tried to word it in a friendly funny manner...hehe seems i failed!

in essence i know all about the ignorance of "yeah but im fine now so i will carry on" as im diabetic.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
you can buy clear clubbing earplugs for £15. I'll find a link later. Alot of my mates swear by em

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Sparx said:
you can buy clear clubbing earplugs for £15. I'll find a link later. Alot of my mates swear by em

i can see it now *bahumats thought radiate into the local vicinity*

Bahumat:- yeah thats it ben, put these in your ears
ben:- ok, they seem pretty good
bahumat:- FUCK FUCK YEAAAAHH ASS
ben:- whats that for
bahumat:- this guy on FH said he swears by em, could you hear me?
ben:- yup
bahumat:- they must be faulty, lets take em back

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Best thing about earplugs is you can hear better than without.

Docs Proplugs are pretty good.

You can get plugs tailored exactly for your ear, but you're looking at a few hundred quid for decent ones. Very nice though.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Chronictank said:

so? uve been lucky enough to not have it happend before. doesent say much really. its not a matter of IF u damage your hearing, its WHEN u do it if u go to places like that enough times without hearing defenders.

doesent school teach u anything theese days?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Rediknight said:

yay, another one that thinks he knows what hes doing...

u should register on a tinnitus forum and say exactly what u say here and see how many will tell u to keep going if u wanna turn deaf.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
so? uve been lucky enough to not have it happend before. doesent say much really. its not a matter of IF u damage your hearing, its WHEN u do it if u go to places like that enough times without hearing defenders.

doesent school teach u anything theese days?

I know it's incredible isn't it.

I go to a lot of Rock gigs. Was at a Babyshambles gig in Whitechapel's Rhythm Factory a few weeks ago. Tiny venue, incredibly bad acoustics and stupidly driven amps. I had ear plugs, but without them it was actually hurting my ears; couldn't stay in the same room. It just amazes me how 200 people can stand there getting intense hearing damage and not be bothered by it. Same at a Infadels gig in Astoria (supporting GLC).

Loudest gig I've ever been to was probably Foo Fighters at the front of Earls Court or Avenged Sevenfold in Astoria. Sickeningly damaging.

You only have 1 pair of ears.

Rediknight

Can't get enough of FH
Ctuchik said:
yay, another one that thinks he knows what hes doing...

u should register on a tinnitus forum and say exactly what u say here and see how many will tell u to keep going if u wanna turn deaf.
why i wanna do that? :/

I'm gonna die everntually, you think i should sign up to a goth forum too? Screw that - it's BECAUSE of things like tinitus im going to campaign to have everyone attune their gene's to make the human race stronger :)

We may suffer, but for our childrens children we will be the champions of the human race!! :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom