ICS Help...

W

Wazzerphuk

Right, here's the issue.

Currently, this is the only net PC in the house, and there's an old shitty one for which needs setting up. All that needs to be shared is the net connection. I'm on cable, with the cable modem in my room and coming straight into this pc.

Ideally, I'd like to set ICS up as cheaply and simply as I can. I should imagine it would be possible using a xover cable, yes? The net machine (atm) is running 2k, and the old shitty one with a desire to be connected is running 98. There's a NIC in this machine and a NIC ready in the old machine. Now, if it is possible to connect the two and ICS will I need a third NIC for this machine, bearing in mind my mobo is a KD7 (has a network port inbuilt). Would I be able to use this network port to avoid buying another NIC? Ideally I don't want to have to change the network card that the cable modem is plugged into, because blueyonder phone services are shit and I'd need to get my new MAC address entered in their database.

So er yeah, I don't know that much about networking but I know some basics so point me in the right direction of what I should be doing, please. :)

Cheers.

K

kameleon

Yes the onboard nic will work fine
Use a xover cable
you dont need to run 98 se as you can set up the old pc to use the 2k machine as a net portal. Its pretty easy to do.

W

Wazzerphuk

Originally posted by kameleon
Yes the onboard nic will work fine
Use a xover cable
you dont need to run 98 se as you can set up the old pc to use the 2k machine as a net portal. Its pretty easy to do.

Is this why I cannot find a single piece of documentation or any person that has been able to guide me through the process so it actually works? Currently the client (win98) PC can ping this PC, and vice versa, but do nothing else. What fun.

X

xane

What is the IP address of the W98 machine at the moment ?

Normally you'd use DHCP to assign addresses, so you'd enable DHCP on the "host" machine (W2K), but I'd imagine that on a Cable Modem connection it is not possible as the ISP will be assigning IPs, so you may need to assign static IP addresses.

All this is under TCP/IP setup, select the TCP/IP protocol adapter on the Network properties.

P

Panda On Smack

when connecting win98 and win2k you have to add the login for win98 machine as a user to the win2k machine

X

xane

Panda, I think thats only for sharing files, not TCP/IP access.

W

Will

Originally posted by xane
Normally you'd use DHCP to assign addresses, so you'd enable DHCP on the "host" machine (W2K), but I'd imagine that on a Cable Modem connection it is not possible as the ISP will be assigning IPs, so you may need to assign static IP addresses.
A cable modem uses DHCP to assign an IP address normally. I think the only exception is business cable modems.

P

Panda On Smack

Panda, I think thats only for sharing files, not TCP/IP access.

yeah prolly, but might as well do it anyway just in case :)

W

Wazzerphuk

What is the IP address of the W98 machine at the moment ?

All this is under TCP/IP setup, select the TCP/IP protocol adapter on the Network properties.

Yes, I know where it all is thank you very much. It's setting the settings and options so they all work right. The IP of the win98 machine was chosen to be 192.168.0.1 by win2k. I can get it set up so that the win98 machine can ping the 2k machine and vice versa, but nothing more than a ping result. (I can't 'browse' the network, I can't use the 'net or anything.)

P

Panda On Smack

seriously, try adding the win98 account to the win2k

its a security thing

thats about the extent of my knowledge (and im probably wrong)

X

xane

Have you got ICS installed on the "host" (W2K) machine ? You should _not_ have ICS on the "client".

K

kameleon

on the 98 machine:

got to control panel>network

right click on tcp/ip >properties
click specify an ip address put int 192.168.0.xxx where x is a number of your choice from 2 to 255
under gateway tab enter ip address 192.168.0.1 or whatever your 2ks home network address is

voila

M

Mellow-

Isn't there an ICS wizard that's supposed to do all this for you?

W

Wazzerphuk

Originally posted by kameleon
on the 98 machine:

got to control panel>network

right click on tcp/ip >properties
click specify an ip address put int 192.168.0.xxx where x is a number of your choice from 2 to 255
under gateway tab enter ip address 192.168.0.1 or whatever your 2ks home network address is

voila

And voila, the machines can ping each other but that's it. That's useful.

X

xane

Originally posted by Mellow-
Isn't there an ICS wizard that's supposed to do all this for you?

When you install ICS on the "host" machine, it has the option to create a diskette that will setup any "client" machine for you, this does little more than disable DHCP and set the gateway, both can be done manually.

W

Wazzerphuk

Yeah you posted it earlier, but is totally irrelevant. It's the wrong O/S, and it refers to setting ICS up on a 98SE machine being the server. Other MS "help" guides there also tell you nothing on how to set it up.

X

xane

Stupid question first - have you actually enabled ICS on the connection on W2K ?

Network and Dial-Up -> (choose connection) -> Properties -> Sharing -> Enable ICS

W

Wazzerphuk

That guide usefully tells me all the things I've already done, for it still not to work. And yes, I'd enabled ICS. I've set it all up as MS tell me to, and yet it does not work.

X

xane

Can you ping an IP address (not URL) from the W98 machine ?

X

xane

Reading back I notice you stated that the W98 client machine has been given 192.168.0.1, but under normal circumstances this would be the address given to the "host" by ICS, i.e. the W2K machine.

What is the IP address of the "host" ?

D

Dr_Weasel

Or lay your hands on a trial edition of Sygate Home Network.

This does connection sharing using 2 NICs. Works a treat. I used it for years before I bothered to buy a router.

W

Wazzerphuk

Will, that's last resort territory. It's just too expensive.

And no xane, 2k machine is *.1, and 98 is *.2

W

Will

Originally posted by Wazzerphuk
Will, that's last resort territory. It's just too expensive.
I thought so, but that is a pretty good deal there and it closes in a few hours...mine cost £180 when I bought it, back in the day. Worth thinking about, unless someone here ends up buying it.;)

Users who are viewing this thread