I have no interest what so ever in WAR Pve

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
OMG why do you guys that go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and ON about DAoC not play that instead ? No youd rather troll WARHAMMER forums deperating trying to find some for a game that will never live up to your ideals!

Seriously when DAOC was all*that* you were probably the same whinging gits moaning about left axe nerfs ,necros, savages and bullshit like that. Go play DAoC, let us that want to play and advance W.A.R. do so.

And btw every game has a grind ,whether it be racing and winning money to buy the next nitro boost, or getting enough money to buy the next shotgun or being with friends and taking down a computer driven dragon for shits n giggles. Its all grind to SOMEONE, just subjective thats all.

The ones wanting more exp and renown from pvping shows that tbh, your light weights and really acting like speed leveling wow freaks. If you enjoy the game then its fun , if you dont then its a grind.

joap

Fledgling Freddie
OMG why do you guys that go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and ON about DAoC not play that instead ? No youd rather troll WARHAMMER forums deperating trying to find some for a game that will never live up to your ideals!

Seriously when DAOC was all*that* you were probably the same whinging gits moaning about left axe nerfs ,necros, savages and bullshit like that. Go play DAoC, let us that want to play and advance W.A.R. do so.

No one is stopping you from playing WAR.

People are commenting on what they were expecting of the game and comparing with what the game turned out to be. People are also comparing the experience with previous games they played (be it daoc, wow or whatever), which also seems to be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

If you like WAR play it as much as you can, but don't pretend people are somehow stopping you from playing the game due to criticism.

Ahlgard

Loyal Freddie
Dungeon wise, i prefer Daoc to any other MMO because of the open dungeons. The idea of champion mobs and instances is bull imo. I might be a bit nostalgic now, but the feeling you got when entering Nisse's Lair and Vendo Caverns for the first time was epic. Open dungeons are chaotic and brings a sort of realism to a game. Ppl was dying everywhere, dangers lurked behind every corner, soloers and different groups camping different spots, arguing or helping each other out with resses. During late hours everyone started merging to fill the grp, mixing the players and classes even more. Its very sad to see open dungeons dissapearing more from the MMO's nowadays. I loved them ;)

Legean

Fledgling Freddie
One of the let downs for me is the size of the zones and the way they are broken up into sets of 2 or 4 in tier 4. Also theyre split between the two factions so your side only gets to see and do half of it.

My first MMO was DAoC and i remember when i first logged on and being amazed at the shear size of the place. There were no maps then just the paper ones from the box so i found where i was and saw there was so much to see. In WAR the zones are too cramped, its split in two with an extra bit taken for the RvR zone. In tier 4 its the worst as the RvR lake takes up most of the map chapters 20-22 are in a tiny space. They should have made the RvR zones a seperate zone and so made them bigger whilst also allowing the PvE areas to be bigger and expanding the world for people to explore.

The quests take you to almost every place on the areas you can go to so theres basically no where you can go and explore yourself.

klasa

Loyal Freddie
The quests take you to almost every place on the areas you can go to so theres basically no where you can go and explore yourself.

Tend to agree, only lvl 29 but raced throug two T3 parings (elf and empire) in doing all the quests in almost no time. Seems that T3 is alot smaller in comparison to T1 and T2. What is T4 like?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie

And btw every game has a grind ,whether it be racing and winning money to buy the next nitro boost, or getting enough money to buy the next shotgun or being with friends and taking down a computer driven dragon for shits n giggles. Its all grind to SOMEONE, just subjective thats all.

The ones wanting more exp and renown from pvping shows that tbh, your light weights and really acting like speed leveling wow freaks. If you enjoy the game then its fun , if you dont then its a grind.

Here's one for you.

This is a discussion forum and everyone has their own opinions on things, hence the discussions you are seeing. You may not like those opinions, but people are entitled to them regardless. If you don't respect other peoples opinions, then why should they respect yours?

Flaming and trolling because you see something you don't like won't help your cause.

Zede

Part of the furniture

your the type of sycophantic YES man that Sir Jacobs has around him all the time. 10 average DaoCers could make a better hash of this game than his "team" Jacobs in his Ivory Tower aint got a clue, like yourself.

Wyst

Fledgling Freddie
Well personally I have somewhat mixed views on WAR PVE

On the plus side it is very friendly to a casual gamer which is more where my life is nowadays as I can feel like I have acheived something in the 1 -2 hour sessions whether it be blitzing some quests, running through a few scenarios etc

On the negative side it does become quite repetitive due to the incredible easy-mode nature of the PVE. Questing is a matter of spending an available 10 minutes to do a quest as everything you need to know is handed to you on a plate and as every character is capable of handling themselves in combat you will never really need a friend/guildie/whatever to help you as they are incredibly easy in 95% of the cases.

XPing in general just delivers no feeling of acheivement as it seems to take no time really to get to level 40 if you really want to make the effort to do so whether you run around solo or hang out with friends.

I have spent more time exploring and checking out the game than concentrating on getting to high level as I figure if I dont make the effort to explore the game now I probably wont bother doing so with alts as by that stage it will almost certainly have become even easier to level due to player pressure. I dont imagine it will be long before people decide they want some easier way of PLing to get Alts straight to endgame

My main gripe with WAR PVE is the complete lack of need for grouping until you want to start farming Bastion Stair. Just got to that sort of level and its the first time really that I have come across something that does really need to be done and needs you to actively group with other people. The PVE is so easymode that there is no measurable benefit to grouping with other people unless you specifically want loot bags from PQs which is generally not superior enough to the influence rewards to make this necessary and you can just grind mobs to get the influence comfortably solo. I find it baffling though that you are better off soloing the mobs for influence than grouping to kill them faster, but sharing the influence between you and therefore needing double/triple the mobs to get the influence therefore not noticably speeding it up and often slowing it down depending on repops etc. If it wasnt for being able to chat with the folks in guild/alliance and over vent it would pretty much qualify as a massive multiplayer solo game as the interaction requirements are so minimal. I do feel there is a lot of room for improvement and that there has been an effort made to make grouping more of a requirement at higher levels for PVE, but grinding BS over and over and over to try and get warded armour so you can then farm the sewers over and over etc to get the next set of armour and so on I think will get dull as well and I kind of hope that future expansions dont follow this sort of PVE theme which sound like a very WOW approach (tho admittedly I have never played WoW). It also seems to be leading to every character looking very similar within their archetypes.

Lots of things I personally would choose to change, but that doesnt stop me from having fun playing at present. 12 months down the line I am not so sure, 2 years from now it would have to have evolved to something quite different to have maintained my interest and I cant see a lifespan for the game to compare with the things which held me playing DaoC for too long

Apologies for the length and thank you for reading or ignoring

Wyst

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
your the type of sycophantic YES man that Sir Jacobs has around him all the time. 10 average DaoCers could make a better hash of this game than his "team" Jacobs in his Ivory Tower aint got a clue, like yourself.

lol i think not. Youre just stuck in 1999 with daoc and its bugs that make you feel warm and cosy yet choose to forget.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I find Leveling in WAR is fine until you hit 40-44 then you quickly run out of quests and it is just a PQ or Scene grind. Doesn't help that the PQ loot is bad, no resists!

Post ToA DAOC with RvR Area XP Increase was so easy to PL with. We used to PL in PoC using Caby, Friar (Health Proc), Cleric and optional AoE Spec Necro. You could get a char from 1 - 50 in just over 20 hours. Used to love pulling 30+ mobs in PoC and focus them all down.

Pre SI DAOC was a pain to, Lyonesse Trees groups were the optimal 47-50 area and the xp sucked.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Sux when you get Database Error whilst trying to edit post :(

WAR is fine until you hit 40-44 is supposed to be 30-34.

Perf

One of Freddy's beloved
we'll let you off...this once Muy. I agree though, xping was more fun in daoc, as long as you were in a good grp. Also it brought guild members together for pl sessions, which i see is sadly lacking in this game. sure guild grps are made for scenario's/mount gunbad etc but something is missing.
i'm about to reach lvl 28 on a new charactor and i'm feeling the same as i did on my other lvl 28 charactor....Quest burnout, i'm losing the will to continue.
hardly anything happening in orvr, frustrating scenarios where ppl would rather knock you into lava than fight a good 1v1 etc etc
I started war playing a shadow warrior which i thought was the only class available which i would like, i'm now playing a witch elf which feels very similar to my old nightshade, i was really enjoying it but BANG!! lvl 28 and another brick wall. I'll continue but i cant say i look forward to playing this game any more, i'm just curious if it will get better for me in t4.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
I think there's alot of people who just don't like war shit talking in here.

DAOC had better pve - you're having a fucking giraffe mate.

I LOVED daoc - still do, I went back and played classic on US servers recently and it all came back to me. The open dungeons were and still are wicked. The crazy ass deaths. The Pain Trains. Awesome fun.

I had toons on all three realms and re-rolled. AOE groups were the death of grouping as a rule in DAOC. People would rather roll an aoe sm and get an alt into an aoe group to lvl it quicker than group and I was so left out (as a troll warrior) that I ended up soloing in the Dungeons in the frontiers - it made for fun trying to dodge the stealth gankers with my trusty troll warrior and buffbot. In the time I got from 45 to 50 I levelled my buffbot to 48 I think. Shocking!

What WAR PVE lacks is the feeling of achievement. The fact that you can solo in pq's is good. A simple fix to improve grouping would be to not split influence in groups. So if everyone get's the same lvl of influence for killing a mob in group as they do solo.... Voilla!!! insta pq groups again.... (not rocket science it seems)

I realise people don't like tor anroc etc etc but trying to force people to play other scenarios is crazy imo. if anything what they could do is increase the choice of scenario or redesign tor anroc so the lava is less of a pain or something to stop the moans.

What I'd really like to see tho, is that ALL bags are removed from rvr.

It's quite simple - loot bags encourage players to seek undefended keeps that they can zerg rather than have a fight. If this means that people choose to ignore keeps and not take them - the most organised realm succeeds in sacking their city and getting access to the unique city instances there. That's reward enough in itself surely? (It sure as hell was enough reward in daoc where DF turned into gankers paradise once every day or so! )

Modern MMO's are turning players into spoilt kiddies. I want, I want, I want. Any kind of grind or effort seems to be too much for many players. I like the way EVE dev's basically do what they feel is in the best interests of the game - I might not agree with their changes (they nerfed my sabre, those bastards!) but they make what they feel are the best changes for the future of the game and game balance in general. I hope Mythic do the same, even if it means we don't get everything we want, as long as we get what the game needs to improve the experience.

M

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
And I ask you, does anyone ?

Also..

Other than for grinding, does anyone like senarios better than ORvR ?

SOMEONE needs to ram it down Sir Mark Jacobs throat that what made his previous game unique was the open rvr. Even the PvE in DaoC was a 1000% times better than WAR. WAR Pve or ToA anyone ? Sorry but for all its badness, i would play ToA every time.

The PvE in WAR is just so wrong its untrue. Simple to fix though, just give us a fuck load more of xp, for example 5k a quest in T1, 10k in T2, 15k in T3 and 20k in T4.

Im pretty dam sure 99% of the people who played DaoC bought & played WAR for one reason, and one reason only - the Open RvR. How come Sir Jacobs does not understand this simple logic, and insist on boring us all to tears with his worst pve in a mmorpg ever ? Makes no sense at all...

Its just been like 36 hours since i started war, and only today i figured a nice balance to lvl/play. I do quests, pq till my que is up for scenarios. after that again doing quests/pq till que is up, and repeat. Atm im having a lot of fun that way. But hell im lvl 9, I have no idea if there are "intresting stuff" to do at lvl 40 in pve, so yea open rvr might be best option then. Or make a new char ^^

Dafft

One of Freddy's beloved
Leveling in WAR is such a breeze. Casual solo play took me just under a month to rank 40.

When I first started DAoC - it took me 8 months to get to 50 soloing without a bot(Bots were slowly coming into play when I dinged 50)

As stated, a nice easy way to just to do the occasional quest and PQ/RvR it

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
And I ask you, does anyone ?

Also..

Other than for grinding, does anyone like senarios better than ORvR ?

SOMEONE needs to ram it down Sir Mark Jacobs throat that what made his previous game unique was the open rvr. Even the PvE in DaoC was a 1000% times better than WAR. WAR Pve or ToA anyone ? Sorry but for all its badness, i would play ToA every time.

The PvE in WAR is just so wrong its untrue. Simple to fix though, just give us a fuck load more of xp, for example 5k a quest in T1, 10k in T2, 15k in T3 and 20k in T4.

Im pretty dam sure 99% of the people who played DaoC bought & played WAR for one reason, and one reason only - the Open RvR. How come Sir Jacobs does not understand this simple logic, and insist on boring us all to tears with his worst pve in a mmorpg ever ? Makes no sense at all...

Yup agree, i came to this game for the open rvr i didnt want daoc2 i just thought WAR would follow the daoc open rvr way in which you can choose which type of rvr you wanted.
1. Keep takes
2. Group vs Group
3. Solo/duo

In WAR its only 1. Endless zerg 2. Boring scenarios

What they should of done was made the rvr zone a separate zone but keep the skirmish orvr parts in so small groups can go and take objectives with some small reward. Quests should give alot more xp and there should be a limit how many scenario quests you can repeat.

vavires

Fledgling Freddie
Yup agree, i came to this game for the open rvr i didnt want daoc2 i just thought WAR would follow the daoc open rvr way in which you can choose which type of rvr you wanted.
1. Keep takes
2. Group vs Group
3. Solo/duo

In WAR its only 1. Endless zerg 2. Boring scenarios

What they should of done was made the rvr zone a separate zone but keep the skirmish orvr parts in so small groups can go and take objectives with some small reward. Quests should give alot more xp and there should be a limit how many scenario quests you can repeat.

Be patient, a good hand always has an ace up his sleeve. There might be an expansion bringing just what you are suggesting right now. :)

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Post ToA DAOC with RvR Area XP Increase was so easy to PL with. We used to PL in PoC using Caby, Friar (Health Proc), Cleric and optional AoE Spec Necro. You could get a char from 1 - 50 in just over 20 hours. Used to love pulling 30+ mobs in PoC and focus them all down.

ah, the joy of seeing all the "OMFG !!!!", "NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!", ... in groupchat the first time you come from behind the corner followed by a zerg of red / purple mobs that put the alb zerg to shame :) and then the maniacal laughter of a level 20 who dinged twice in a single pull :p

Chronictank

FH is my second home
I think there's alot of people who just don't like war shit talking in here.

DAOC had better pve - you're having a fucking giraffe mate.
It honestly is like hitting your head against the wall, try READING instead of just rambling on after picking a key phrase

DAOC had better high end pve, in war challenging pve is pretty much non-existant.

I had toons on all three realms and re-rolled. AOE groups were the death of grouping as a rule in DAOC. People would rather roll an aoe sm and get an alt into an aoe group to lvl it quicker than group and I was so left out (as a troll warrior) that I ended up soloing in the Dungeons in the frontiers - it made for fun trying to dodge the stealth gankers with my trusty troll warrior and buffbot. In the time I got from 45 to 50 I levelled my buffbot to 48 I think. Shocking!
That is down to the players though, why level through the game when you have already done it x times over, the game was old and it was very much so been there and done that.
A few people still went to the encounters and had a go but usually it was mini summoning groups or guild groups who wanted to finish off encounters they missed.

What WAR PVE lacks is the feeling of achievement.
Spot on, the game is far too easy imo and veteran mmo'ers which most of us are wont find any challenge in it

I realise people don't like tor anroc etc etc but trying to force people to play other scenarios is crazy imo. if anything what they could do is increase the choice of scenario or redesign tor anroc so the lava is less of a pain or something to stop the moans.
Anroc is not the problem, the problem is that scenarios are the most efficient way to level so noone really does pq's anymore

Modern MMO's are turning players into spoilt kiddies. I want, I want, I want. Any kind of grind or effort seems to be too much for many players. I like the way EVE dev's basically do what they feel is in the best interests of the game - I might not agree with their changes (they nerfed my sabre, those bastards!) but they make what they feel are the best changes for the future of the game and game balance in general. I hope Mythic do the same, even if it means we don't get everything we want, as long as we get what the game needs to improve the experience.
I dont mind them trying to remove the grind from a mmo, but the problem is that WAR has gone so far into removing it that everything is presented on a silver platter

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Completely agree Chronictank.

Also, something Perf said, there is definitely a feeling that something is missing. Mybe this is bred into us from older mmo's, but still it's hard to avoid that feeling.

Love it or hate it, WoW's instanced encounters and DaoC's ToA encounters were high-end pve and something to aim for and take on as a guild, alliance or a group of mates, new or old. I just don't see anything like that in WAR.

Now i know WAR's high-end stuff is supposed to be mainly pvp, but without things to raid as a guild, theres not a lot to do during those times pvp isn't desirable.

I have said this many times, since closed beta in fact, that WAR needs to balance pvp and pve to work and to provide good positive experiences and goals for guilds and players alike to aim for in each. Sadly, WAR seems to have little of either at this moment in time.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
we'll let you off...this once Muy.

what did i do wrong now ?

I agree though, xping was more fun in daoc, as long as you were in a good grp. Also it brought guild members together for pl sessions, which i see is sadly lacking in this game. sure guild grps are made for scenario's/mount gunbad etc but something is missing.

the game is young ...

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
It honestly is like hitting your head against the wall, try READING instead of just rambling on after picking a key phrase

DAOC had better high end pve, in war challenging pve is pretty much non-existant.

In your opinion. It doesn't in mine.

Dragon raids? dull
High End instances (can't remember the names) 7 hours of utter boredom....
TOA?? *shudder* Some of the toa stuff was ok - I hated ML's tho, they killed the game for me.
Darkness Falls ? Only the RVR gank fest when each realm switched ownership made that fun.

This is my opinion btw, if you liked that "high end" content then more power to you.

I've tried a bit of bastion stair and that's been very enjoyable so far. I've not gone further than that because I prefer the rvr side of things. I will say that War pve (ImO) hits a dip around 28 through to around 33 then things pick up again.

Granted I've not seen lost vale and I'm not sure if anyone has seen the isntances under reikland or the IC in any detail.

M

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH

Define better. Basically everything in DAoC was tank and spank. At least in WAR they have some challenges you have to learn before you can tank and spank.

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
Has anyone here, who claim the pve is easy, actually experienced WAR endgame pve (Bilerot, Lost Vale etc)?

I haven't so I don't know how easy it is.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Define better. Basically everything in DAoC was tank and spank. At least in WAR they have some challenges you have to learn before you can tank and spank.

Every game is "tank and spank" if you want to reduce it down to that
but it doesnt change that you needed tactics to win because of the way encounters were set up
WAR I have yet to find a truely innovative or challenging encounter

If people just zerged down encounters "to get it done" then what do they expect? ofc it is going to be boring
People dont join raids together because they simply dont have to in WAR doesnt mean the exact same overwhelm and kill tactic cant be used

Whether you liked them or not ML's were great fun for the most part to try finish as a full group or 2 rather than a mass raid, you got a sense of achievement from it something i have yet to feel in WAR because its all so easy
People who joined my smaller closed group (as everyone needed to be kitted out with reasonable gear and specific dmg type weapons for the different scenarios) ML runs will know how much more tactics are needed than simply running in with 100+ people and overwhelming a mob

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
Every game is "tank and spank" if you want to reduce it down to that
but it doesnt change that you needed tactics to win because of the way encounters were set up
WAR I have yet to find a truely innovative or challenging encounter
And you have in DAoC? Which fight may I ask?

If people just zerged down encounters "to get it done" then what do they expect? ofc it is going to be boring
People dont join raids together because they simply dont have to in WAR doesnt mean the exact same overwhelm and kill tactic cant be used
There are several instances in WAR where you can't zerg cuz' it's group only.

Whether you liked them or not ML's were great fun for the most part to try finish as a full group or 2 rather than a mass raid, you got a sense of achievement from it something i have yet to feel in WAR because its all so easy
People who joined my smaller closed group (as everyone needed to be kitted out with reasonable gear and specific dmg type weapons for the different scenarios) ML runs will know how much more tactics are needed than simply running in with 100+ people and overwhelming a mob
Here you don't make much sense to me. Am I reading it wrong? You're saying ML's are great fun because you did them in a small group and that's what made them challenging? Cuz' you know you don't HAVE to zerg the encounters in WAR just as you don't HAVE to zerg ML's in DAoC. If you like WAR to be more challenging as the ML's in DAoC, do the WAR encounters in a small group perhaps? I don't see the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom