I have no interest what so ever in WAR Pve

Zede

Part of the furniture
Ooohhhh, don't go there or we'll have to start in on how more than half the classes were not group friendly and many solo'd 99% of the way to 50 becasue no-one would let them in any group past, say, levels 20-30.

Enforced grouping? Outside of nightmare scenarios like the fins list and the inevitable realisation that to get to 50 without months and months of grinding mobs over and over it was simply not true, don't kid yourself. Groups where the sum of the parts did not create a greater whole led to very poor and very unsuccessful xp groups.

thats utter crap and you know it. ANY resonable sized guild could, would and did solve this problem on a daily/weekly basis. If you had no m8s thats your fault alone.

Up to level 32 in WAR i had to get 2 other players to help on a quest, TWICE, thats it - out of 100s of quests only 2 times, and thats not good enough.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Tbh i find it less dull than chain pulling Fins.
Maybe it's me tho! :m00:

klasa

Loyal Freddie
It's a bit two fold, I'm older today and can't spend two three hours comitted to an exp group like in daoc.

So for me questdriven exp which you are able to solo is great. That being said. AOE exp group with big pulls old school DAOC way was really fun when they worked and it was fun to chat while waiaing for the mobs to re spawn.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
I hate questing to level. I just don't do it.

On my RP I play in scenarios, mostly with guildies. My computer is too whiny for RvR. Only time I'll be in PvE is when I catch a bunch of people doing a PQ as an open group or if my guildies decide its time I actually went up a level :clap:

Mas

One of Freddy's beloved
Daoc forced you to group as it was grind not quest driven, this lead to people to actually look for groups or even form groups themselves. Daoc forced you to explore the realms for mobs, no bindstone, no i win run away insta speed, once you was stuck out in lyonesse or malmo you didnt want to sui back as you lost that precious xp that you gained that day.

War PvE is very much generated like wow, for some reason now you need a whole story for a quest as the lore isnt deemed enough, your led by the hand from your quest giver to your quest area and then back again all hand in hand with easy game mechanics.

I think mmo's need to hand it back to the player and ramp up the difficulty somewhat, make getting max level feel an achievement and felt that you have trawled miles and miles through vast maps and that your land is your realms own.

Daoc was a lovechild for Mythic, so many hours/months/years spent making a mmo so close to their heart for the players that loved mmos'..... Now the EA machine rolls on its more about figures/subscriptions and how much profit EA can make this financial quarter.

I think we can pretty much blame wow for theis generations mmo's, keep it simple, roll in the cash.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
thats utter crap and you know it. ANY resonable sized guild could, would and did solve this problem on a daily/weekly basis. If you had no m8s thats your fault alone.

Well firstly you are assuming everyone was guilded, which at release was not the case.

Trust me i lived it as a ranger, a class no-one wanted in groups. Certain classes in a group would actually be detremental to the xp rate and when you are forced to camp and grind mobs for hours on end it eventually matters, this was not a personal opinion or view, this was a cold hard fact.

When DAoC was as old as WAR is now most players in my guild were spread over 20-30 levels, if there was no guild group going and you were playing a certain class you were bang out of luck.

Lost count of the number of players i saw begging for groups in Innis, Cursed Forest and Corus, some would sit there for hours on end and never get a group but it was still a better bet than soloing thanks to DAoC's daft downtime and low rewards at high level.

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
I guarantee 100% ALL you who played DaoC prefered that way of levelling to get to max level.

I could have mentioned any expansion to compare it to. The way you gain xp is fundamentally different in this game, and we all know it.

I take Questing and PQ grinding over the Malmohus queue or Task Dungeons any day of the year.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Daoc forced you to group as it was grind not quest driven, this lead to people to actually look for groups or even form groups themselves. Daoc forced you to explore the realms for mobs, no bindstone, no i win run away insta speed, once you was stuck out in lyonesse or malmo you didnt want to sui back as you lost that precious xp that you gained that day.

War PvE is very much generated like wow, for some reason now you need a whole story for a quest as the lore isnt deemed enough, your led by the hand from your quest giver to your quest area and then back again all hand in hand with easy game mechanics.

I think mmo's need to hand it back to the player and ramp up the difficulty somewhat, make getting max level feel an achievement and felt that you have trawled miles and miles through vast maps and that your land is your realms own.

Daoc was a lovechild for Mythic, so many hours/months/years spent making a mmo so close to their heart for the players that loved mmos'..... Now the EA machine rolls on its more about figures/subscriptions and how much profit EA can make this financial quarter.

I think we can pretty much blame wow for theis generations mmo's, keep it simple, roll in the cash.

Well put.

I have always been of the same opinion, that achievement driven mmo's are gone now and we are left with instant gratification games. But to be fair, this is what DAoC ended up as.

I personally loved the sense of achievement, gaining a level or a nice shiney new weapon was a great feeling, now it's very much a throwaway affair as it happens all the time. But, to be perfectly honest, how many of us from the old days of DAoC would have the time or the inclination now to spend days camping fins for example, ditch work or uni for a group? Not many.

It would be interesting to see how the next sandbox mmo tackles things.

One thing WAR has done nicely is the tome unlocks, it encourages players take a look at the wider world, to go and explore.

Draig

Fledgling Freddie
remove scenarios from T4 at least if they still insist on touting that crap

problem with PVE in most MMO's now post WoW is the Get me 10 badgers arses syndrome, nearly 80% of PVE in MMO's atm is based around quest to lvl to hide the grind.

Which as many are now finding is fun first time but gets dull real quick and does not lead to the grouping and communities that you get from PVE like doing Mithra, Keltoi or Black Burrows, Splitpaw etc etc.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
I must be the odd one out. I loved DAoCs leveling. I loved the simple concept of camping a area while making friends and chatting for hours. No need to run all over a map delivering pointless msgs or killing 20 mobs for some npc that has asked 1000 players before you to kill.

you can do that in WAR - I've taken time out to just butcher some animals and it's refreshing :)

Just you never feel like you should be doing that - the story pushes you on to the next quest hub.

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
I guarantee 100% ALL you who played DaoC prefered that way of levelling to get to max level.

I could have mentioned any expansion to compare it to. The way you gain xp is fundamentally different in this game, and we all know it.

No. PvE became better in Daoc once they boosted XP gained from BG/RvR area mobs.

WAR is that minus the mobs which is brilliant. They have gone one step in the wrong direction though by increasing the time it takes to go to scenarios (by increasing the time of popular scenario pops).

I'm forced to play the sucky Khaines Embrace instead of Nordenwatch in T1. :(

However, they should really increase the quest exp rewards. Good thing they can and did do that by some extent via patch. Daoc required expansions.

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
remove scenarios from T4 at least if they still insist on touting that crap

Granted the scenarios are not really needed for exp in T4 as the quests now are much better but the scenarios help the non-40 with RR gains.

They should leave scenarios in and further increase the non-scenario RvR gains.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
for those of you who like old fashion pygmy / tree / DF / SI orcs / PoC ... type grinding, check out the slayer keep in kadrin for destruction, dunno enough about high level order places. a tank + healer + AE-damage dealer can gain xp there at a rate that exceeds the best that pqs, quest or scenarios can provide.

it reminds me a bit of camping IN the gobo house, lol

i like the fact that there are basically at least 4 different and efficient ways to level in WaR. scenarios, pqs, quests and ae-grinding.

Legean

Fledgling Freddie
Id like to see the current system combined with a grinding system. Basically you get a quest to kill X number of a certain monster as happens now only more (50+?), but once you have done it the quest window pops up and you get another quest to do something else like retrieve an item thats in the middle of a lot of other mobs. This would also encourage grouping but there could be solo quests too to ensure it wasn't required. I'm not a big fan of doing a quest then having to run across the map to talk to some guy to then have to go back to kill his mate.

Also make sure there are plenty of locations that have very high repop rates so you can pull 10-20 mobs continuously.

At the same time they could greatly increase the level range of these quests so more people can join groups to farm them.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
And I ask you, does anyone ?

Also..

Other than for grinding, does anyone like senarios better than ORvR ?

SOMEONE needs to ram it down Sir Mark Jacobs throat that what made his previous game unique was the open rvr. Even the PvE in DaoC was a 1000% times better than WAR. WAR Pve or ToA anyone ? Sorry but for all its badness, i would play ToA every time.

The PvE in WAR is just so wrong its untrue. Simple to fix though, just give us a fuck load more of xp, for example 5k a quest in T1, 10k in T2, 15k in T3 and 20k in T4.

Im pretty dam sure 99% of the people who played DaoC bought & played WAR for one reason, and one reason only - the Open RvR. How come Sir Jacobs does not understand this simple logic, and insist on boring us all to tears with his worst pve in a mmorpg ever ? Makes no sense at all...

Well said. I agree.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
If grinding was the fastest way of XPing then there would be massive amounts of complaints about it. Questing might get boring too but it is more varied, and I think if i was forced to repeatedly grind the same mobs for more than about 15 minutes I would probably quit. I'm all for that feeling of achievment, but I don't want to spend my time doing the same thing over and over again as I simply won't enjoy it.

Zede

Part of the furniture
If grinding was the fastest way of XPing then there would be massive amounts of complaints about it. Questing might get boring too but it is more varied, and I think if i was forced to repeatedly grind the same mobs for more than about 15 minutes I would probably quit. I'm all for that feeling of achievment, but I don't want to spend my time doing the same thing over and over again as I simply won't enjoy it.

TA : repetitive grind

PQs : repetitive grind

WAR : reptitive grind

you playin a different game ?

Malcolm

Can't get enough of FH
Personally, I find PvE no worse or better than DAoCs, though I admit I miss DAoC's dungeons :)

Afran

Part of the furniture
WAR's regen in DAoC = pro PvE! There's no point at all to slow out of combat regen :)

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie

So your original point was that Toa > WAR. Is this thread about endgame pve or exping?

Toa didn't really start until 40+ and for non-50, it was only some quests, arti exp grinding, scroll farming etc. If I recall correctly, one couldn't recieve MLexp before lvl 50.

How is Toa not a grind to you?

Risengrave

Fledgling Freddie
The game is far too repetitive, RvR Scenarios and PVE. I think they have tried to make this game appeal to all MMO gamer types and by doing so have diluted the genre in such a way that it is no longer appealing in the long term. The fun factor worse off so very quickly.

Open RvR is take it or leave it, in DaoC it was fun and rewarding. Say what you like about WoW's approach to PvP but even that's more rewarding than this. There is no sense of community at all from what I have observed. Graphics are incredibly bland sound/music is not at all inspiring either.

When I play this game I really do get a sense that it is far from finished, that along with the many bugs that annoy make this game a failure for me.Sub cancelled and it's not a game I can see myself retutning to in a few months to see how it has pregressed, quite sad really.

Zede

Part of the furniture
So your original point was that Toa > WAR. Is this thread about endgame pve or exping?

Toa didn't really start until 40+ and for non-50, it was only some quests, arti exp grinding, scroll farming etc. If I recall correctly, one couldn't recieve MLexp before lvl 50.

How is Toa not a grind to you?

it was fun, cause i didnt have to stay in exactly the same spot from L21-31 to get the best xp.

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
it was fun, cause i didnt have to stay in exactly the same spot from L21-31 to get the best xp.

It's simpler now when you can join the T2 scenarios from any zone. Why would you just idle in Avelorn and not explore and quest between pops?

The Villagrind killed my desire to play AoC so I don't recommend similar approach to War.

~Latency~

Can't get enough of FH
my first toon in DAoC was on midgard, i remember making a berseker with no idea how it would play, i remember running around by the coastline fighting crabs and ghosts, running to the nearby town buying stupid things and riding around on horses.. it was so much more atmospheric than WAR..

logging in and finding an exp group in vendo or any dungeon for that matter and having loads of fun in PvE, chatting having a wicked time.. fair enough some classes were totally useless solo, but the game was really social you could happily wait an hour just chatting to your guildies most of the time.. think most would agree on that. but let's face it, WAR is cold, lifeless and unsociable..

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy

I find it odd to be complaining of grinding. I got to 40 in a pretty reasonable time and didn't really feel like I was grinding overly. I split my time between all the different xp paths available and had fun doing it.

Perhaps its not entirely the game's fault but the way you approach it that is a large factor.

EDIT: Spelling

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
WAR is cold, lifeless and unsociable..
Just a fact imo - you make something accessable, you make it boring. Like NF and all the soloers bridge camping - boring. Having to make a grp or find a zerg leader or just bash your head against the wall solo or in some crappy grp = ten times more interesting than having it on a plate LONG TERM.

Scenarios are a worst grind than DAoC pve cos you can't have a break and chat with peeps you know, ala DAoC PvE. In fact, make RvR something to dread rather than something to work towards and look forward too.

Blah Blah imo etc, back from the pub, blah.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Scenarios are a worst grind than DAoC pve cos you can't have a break and chat with peeps you know, ala DAoC PvE. In fact, make RvR something to dread rather than something to work towards and look forward too.

Blah Blah imo etc, back from the pub, blah.

If you find scenarios a grind then don't do them. Plenty of ways to grind mobs endlessly as we all did in DAoC and many other games if thats your thing.

The thing is, there is no grind in WAR unless you are determined too level as fast as possible. In DAoC you HAD to be ~50 to get to and survive in rvr, in WAR you can pvp from level 1. There are many many players who haven't even hit 30 yet, myself included, because we are enjoying the ride rather than trying to rush through the levels.

I love playing casually and find this game is ideal for that, i can log in, play for an hour, then log out and thats all im after.

Zede

Part of the furniture
If you find scenarios a grind then don't do them. Plenty of ways to grind mobs endlessly as we all did in DAoC and many other games if thats your thing.

The thing is, there is no grind in WAR unless you are determined too level as fast as possible. In DAoC you HAD to be ~50 to get to and survive in rvr, in WAR you can pvp from level 1. There are many many players who haven't even hit 30 yet, myself included, because we are enjoying the ride rather than trying to rush through the levels.

I love playing casually and find this game is ideal for that, i can log in, play for an hour, then log out and thats all im after.

your absolutely right. one problem - the xp & reward you get from this type of Xping is quite frankly not good enough. I Xp'd purly in solo rvr from 28-31. To do the same in T4 at 32 would be impossible. Not seperating the L40s from those 32-39 has fucked that idea.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
your absolutely right. one problem - the xp & reward you get from this type of Xping is quite frankly not good enough. I Xp'd purly in solo rvr from 28-31. To do the same in T4 at 32 would be impossible. Not seperating the L40s from those 32-39 has fucked that idea.

Agreed, however im not sure that telling players once you are level 40 you can only play in scenarios against other level 40's would go down too well. Personally i like the idea, but im sure not everyone would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom