No idea I can't think of a title for this thread!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I used to write and manage the national code for BT's system x telephone exchanges.
I jacked in in after years of boredom to become a boiler repairman.

My dad used to work at BT (before that he worked on the GPO's vans fitting new lines), he hated system x. He would have loved you.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I do a little bit of everything IT (support) wise for about 300 small business customers. It can be really high end (to me anyway) Virtualisation Monday and then deploying a cloud based phone solution on Tuesday. I like it because it is different everyday.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Software Engineer doing a bit of everything, most recently I've been building installers for windows software which is (un) surprisingly a rather tedious affair

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I'm a Designer/Animator. Mainly I animate children's books which then get put with sign language and subtitles to help deaf children learn to read.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
BIM (Building Information Model) Manager for a local Engineering Consultancy.

Really love it and it's challenging enough everyday so I'm never bored, the software packages are developing all the time which means that we are constantly evolving how we work as a company

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
SQL\BI Developer for a mid level digital marketing company in London. We mainly do email campaigns\websites & apps for a few major clients like LGI (Virgin Media, UPC in Europe, Ziggo), Thomson TUI, Merck. Bores the life out of me.

If you have a Virgin Media package and got an email telling you your package price was going up, that was from me. Sorry.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
SQL\BI Developer for a mid level digital marketing company in London. We mainly do email campaigns\websites & apps for a few major clients like LGI (Virgin Media, UPC in Europe, Ziggo), Thomson TUI, Merck. Bores the life out of me.

If you have a Virgin Media package and got an email telling you your package price was going up, that was from me. Sorry.
Can you tell someone at Virgin that when they send me a thick A4 envelope trying to sell me shit, that It goes in the bin. I don't even have to open it as it says 'content from Virgin media' on the outside of it. I wonder how many unopened envelopes end up in landfill, and how much money they would save by not sending them out?

Last edited:

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Can you tell someone at Virgin that when they send me a thick A4 envelope trying to sell me shit, that It goes in the bin. I don't even have to open it as it says 'content from Virgin media' on the outside of it. I wonder how many unopened envelopes end up in landfill, and how much money they would save by not sending them out?
Barclays are notorious for this shit to, I get an application through for a Barclaycard every two weeks or so. Don't even open them now.

I work doing IT admin/support on a global network and work a lot in Windows Server etc. Basically a second line support job without much interaction with users outside of emails/incidents. There's a lot more to it and without being a tease, I can't go into detail about it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

They send certain correspondence via snail mail for that exact reason, they don't WANT people to open it. For instance, with price rise, only people who have opted out of direct marketing will receive an email instead. The emails (it was about one million people this year) send over about a 30 day period to relax the hits on the call centre. Over the first 2 days of the send, they send out 2 different versions with different subject lines, with a 50/50 split as to who gets what. They then take the subject line from the mailing that has been opened the least and apply that to all mailings going forward. The reason for this is that when they make a change like that, they're obligated to offer a certain period in which people can cancel their contracts for free. Obviously if people don't know that, they can't cancel!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
They send certain correspondence via snail mail for that exact reason, they don't WANT people to open it. For instance, with price rise, only people who have opted out of direct marketing will receive an email instead. The emails (it was about one million people this year) send over about a 30 day period to relax the hits on the call centre. Over the first 2 days of the send, they send out 2 different versions with different subject lines, with a 50/50 split as to who gets what. They then take the subject line from the mailing that has been opened the least and apply that to all mailings going forward. The reason for this is that when they make a change like that, they're obligated to offer a certain period in which people can cancel their contracts for free. Obviously if people don't know that, they can't cancel!

Even if people have opted out of direct marketing, price changes are a service message, not marketing, and are exempt.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Even if people have opted out of direct marketing, price changes are a service message, not marketing, and are exempt.

By direct marketing i mean snail mail, not marketing as a whole. If you've unsubbed from Virgin Media emails you'd still get price rise, as as you say, its a service message. However, if you've not opted out of snail mail, you'd get that over an email notification in this instance.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
By direct marketing i mean snail mail, not marketing as a whole. If you've unsubbed from Virgin Media emails you'd still get price rise, as as you say, its a service message. However, if you've not opted out of snail mail, you'd get that over an email notification in this instance.

Yes, but Virgin could still send you a physical mail, and frankly, when its a price rise, they should be forced to say, "THIS IS A PRICE RISE", in 100pt text on the outside of the envelope.

I really hate Virgin Media right now.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'm an infrastructure and middle-/software engineer specialized in large-scale high-performance compute clusters. I also do the HPC solution architectures, logical networking, give some love to our customers and handle 75% of the IPC work. Basically my job is to be angry and annoyed and/or disappointed and frustrated all day long.

Edmond

Basically my job is to be angry and annoyed and/or disappointed and frustrated all day long.

I'm sorry, but there is only room for one @Trem at FH, you'll have to try and find something else to do

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Barclays are notorious for this shit to, I get an application through for a Barclaycard every two weeks or so. Don't even open them now.

I work doing IT admin/support on a global network and work a lot in Windows Server etc. Basically a second line support job without much interaction with users outside of emails/incidents. There's a lot more to it and without being a tease, I can't go into detail about it.

I tear it up and pop it all in the return addressed envelope and send it back, perhaps with an empty crisp packet if I have just had a bag.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Dir Customer Operations - Middle East & Africa for a well known Japanese electronics company (not Sony!). Fancy title, basically my team is responsible for selling Satellite Bandwidth in the region to aviation customers. Sales of around $3-4M per month.

Edmond

But i'm not a Virgin customer, I have SKY. They're wasting their time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom