How to get ppl to stay in WaR?

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Let DAoC go lol.

Nevah.. Still by far the best rvr mmo out there.

Imo just change the war client to DAoC and trix everyone to start playing daoc again ;D

Platin

Fledgling Freddie
I like the exping because it's fast and easy, although i feel they should have made an alternative to quest-exping which I find pretty boring after WoW(some PQ's are ok). Instances with fast spawning mobs or higher lvl mobs that give more exp like in daoc would have been nice, plus instance exp-bonus perhaps.

I've yet to see what end game offers, but since I've always hated instanced pvp, and even more the crappy BG:s which are even worse than the WoW bg:s, I am not too optimistic about it. The RvR zones feel really small, dont you think?

Xanthea

Fledgling Freddie
Agree totally what many says, like the social part i dont belive i have seen any chatting beside the usual spams in the sc's.

But beside that nada, also alot of balance issue's and maybe even masses of them, But i think like OK balance is game feature so it CAN be fixed...But then i think daoc had balance issue's durring all years and it got like never fixed.

Some quite classic example. When i played dark SM toa and that trash 25% cast speed....I could more or less solo a fg pug's with pot using. the dmg output and cast speed i could drop a tank in less than 10 sec. they like never even got close to me...Makes me wonder HOW the hell did this even get past mythic's internal testing etc?

I feel a bit like WaR is still in beta stage, So like many mentioned quit now and renew in 2-3 months or something to check it out....in the end it all matters how important mythic think it is to fix things like these and looking back at daoc and how it was handled im quite negative.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
Good post, Xan.

My guild (most of them RR9-11 x-daocers) has quit... so has i.

My openion is war = xbox version of a great PC game.
What i mean? It's made for the low ages, 10-17 year olds. Zerg vs. Zerg. No thinking, just join a SC, and cruise it.

Nothing wrong with the "idea" behind it... but it doesn't give me the old buzz.

I lasted 1 month, due to guild skype-chat, laughing at the noobs :).
And yes, i made it to lvl 38, RR35 with BO. And 2x Lvl 30ish RR29+

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
Daoc in the first year was so much better, flawless, perfect, finished....

Guys quitting after a month of play, arguing that there is no endgame while the vast majority of the players didn't pass tier 3 yet, are laughable.

Get a grip, take a break, and check it in a few months. Or stick with it and help mythic improving it filling feedback reports. Assuming our opinions count :/

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
... but it doesn't give me the old buzz.

This is the root of it all to be honest, all the great PvP games give you a good buzz. Why? Because you stood to lose something..

UO, you died, you lost all your equipped gear and had to go refit which was a PAIN. Winning was a REAL achievement and gave you a great feeling of accomplishment.

EVE has some of the worst death penalties, but god damn the buzz you get from PVP is intense.

DAoC had the balance right, you didn't lose anything, but it would take you a good 15 mins to get back into the fight so dying was a pretty major blow and was something you fought hard to try and avoid.

Other games like Counterstrike benefit from this as well.

WAR lacks this completely, its like WOW PvP it lacks substance. Its fun for a while but it gets old pretty fast. Its a kind of relentless drive, again and again. At no point does it give you a chance to slump back in your chair and go 'god damn how did that happen'.

You NEED the pain, merely losing a fight isn't enough, you need to spend the next 10 minutes recovering from your loss, figuring out what went wrong. Or on the flip side, knowing that you just sent that guy packing and set him back some ways.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
This is the root of it all to be honest, all the great PvP games give you a good buzz. Why? Because you stood to lose something..

UO, you died, you lost all your equipped gear and had to go refit which was a PAIN. Winning was a REAL achievement and gave you a great feeling of accomplishment.

EVE has some of the worst death penalties, but god damn the buzz you get from PVP is intense.

DAoC had the balance right, you didn't lose anything, but it would take you a good 15 mins to get back into the fight so dying was a pretty major blow and was something you fought hard to try and avoid.

WAR lacks this completely, its like WOW PvP it lacks substance. Its fun for a while but it gets old pretty fast. Its a kind of relentless drive, again and again. At no point does it give you a chance to slump back in your chair and go 'god damn how did that happen'.

You NEED the pain, merely losing a fight isn't enough, you need to spend the next 10 minutes recovering from your loss, figuring out what went wrong. Or on the flip side, knowing that you just sent that guy packing and set him back some ways.

Couldnt agree more.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Good post, Xan.

My guild (most of them RR9-11 x-daocers) has quit... so has i.

My openion is war = xbox version of a great PC game.
What i mean? It's made for the low ages, 10-17 year olds. Zerg vs. Zerg. No thinking, just join a SC, and cruise it.

Nothing wrong with the "idea" behind it... but it doesn't give me the old buzz.

I lasted 1 month, due to guild skype-chat, laughing at the noobs :).
And yes, i made it to lvl 38, RR35 with BO. And 2x Lvl 30ish RR29+

It's not for everyone and it obviously doesn't appeal to a lot of ex-daocers mainly because (imo) the pvp is not as complex as daoc's.

However, daoc was a very zergy game as well and always has been, people seem to forget this. Christ i have nightmares still about the Outlaw and Zoyster zergs which sometimes numbered in the hundreds ;)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Daoc in the first year was so much better, flawless, perfect, finished....

Guys quitting after a month of play, arguing that there is no endgame while the vast majority of the players didn't pass tier 3 yet, are laughable.

Get a grip, take a break, and check it in a few months. Or stick with it and help mythic improving it filling feedback reports. Assuming our opinions count :/

Broken end game, no end game, I don't care.

I care more about empty RvR zones and there are tons of them on the way to 40.

Maybe capping scenarios to 8, 18, 28, 38 would solve the problem quickly.

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
For each active Warhammer account they should allow to have 2-3 DAoC accounts.

Then we could log over to DAoC when Warhammer is CTD-astic.

hehe more like at xmas let us reactivate our daoc characters, and GET THEM ON THE WAR SERVERS! id love to get my old pally and fire wizzie into WAR :D

edit- OOH, ppl were talking about how a third realm would bring back the true glory days of online pvp(RVR) simply stick DAOC as the 3rd realm :D best bits of alb hib and mid and let us bring all the characters in heheheh would be some serious class balance issues and stuff tho but would be great fun to see a proper setup rvr daoc rvr grp rape an entire zerg of order or dest. insta aoe stun. aoe mezz , pbaoe. pboae pbaoe everyones dead :D

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie
It's not for everyone and it obviously doesn't appeal to a lot of ex-daocers mainly because (imo) the pvp is not as complex as daoc's.

However, daoc was a very zergy game as well and always has been, people seem to forget this. Christ i have nightmares still about the Outlaw and Zoyster zergs which sometimes numbered in the hundreds ;)

LOL the glory days of Excal RVR :D i was often a random nobody in those Outlaw and Zoyster zergs of justice :D the sheer lag produced just from a standard zerg was hilarious sometimes, these wouldent even be keep take zergs, just what happend to end up following them around heheheh.

Those 2 playing WAR btw?

HerculesPluto

Fledgling Freddie

Kinda know what you mean m8, maybe itll be different in REAL RVR, atm we are all still hacking the Bgs to peices, as a maurader i just cause as much havoc to the enemy casters b4 i die, feel like a sacrificial lamb for the better of the other dest players most of the time :) this is simply coz i can be back into the heat of the action in less than 30 seconds, FUCK TOR ANOC btw its too dark and shit! hehe

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah they are playing

Azgal in MA :p (like some others)..

MANY old daoc faces on Azgal & 8P tbh. :)

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
I've stopped playing for the same people I think many have, just not enough drive to play - played it for longer than i have some other mmos before getting bored though.

I'll check back in a few months for improvement, if there is none then i'll quit again.

Think I may just have to wait for the kotor mmo to be released :p Guess I'll be waiting a while :(

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Think a (good) guild (atmosphere) helps a lot...

I'm sad that GoL didn't move over on Azgal (or even the game itself), but at least the ones that do play WAR are kinda grouped together in MA. I would probabaly log in a lot less if i didn't know anyone on the server. Thing is that every new game that comes now will get the same guilds attention. So if you found a good one it will carry on in more than 1 game probably.

Of course not everyone likes WAR as it is, but people need to remember it's a new release,...maybe you don't remember but daoc at start wasn't nearly finished like this (guess we got WoW to thank? for that).

I also find daoc the best game out there...certainy pvp wise, but it's like your first girlfriend...most got good memories of here too. But forget the nasty stuff quickly :)

I'm sticking around as long as i'm having fun..and that is the case for me. probably cause i didn't rush to 40 asap (still 26 on main). So i take my time and spend a lot of time in RvR with guildmates. Best way to keep boredom out of the game tbh.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Are people too fussy these days? All I ever see from some people is constant MMORPG switching. Every time a new MMORPG comes out everyone tries to rally support from their friends/guild about how it's going to be the game which is going to kill their current MMO game.

These days the launch of any new game is certainly never going to match up to their current game, DAoC has 7 years of improvements put into it and WoW is approaching 4 years. The huge amount of content which can be put into a game over this timeframe makes it difficult for newer games to compete. It takes time to balance classes and realms, as most of the time you can only see the flaws with your game design as soon as thousands of people get the chance to test it.

Anyway, if you want to make sure people continue to play the game then group with them as much as possible. People don't like soloing their way to the highest level, do quests and scenarios together and you might a lot more fun along the way.

Rami

One of Freddy's beloved
heh, WAR is just a shit game. Already said it was right after the release and recieved a warning for it (thanks Flimgoblin <3). Funny to see that alot of people are starting to realize that there's too much WoW in it for it to be good and it's a boring zerg game.

CowledScout

Fledgling Freddie
heh, war is just a shit game. Already said it was right after the release and recieved a warning for it (thanks flimgoblin <3). Funny to see that alot of people are starting to realize that there's too much wow in it for it to be good and it's a boring zerg game.

qft

Valgyr

Fledgling Freddie
Are people too fussy these days? All I ever see from some people is constant MMORPG switching. Every time a new MMORPG comes out everyone tries to rally support from their friends/guild about how it's going to be the game which is going to kill their current MMO game.

These days the launch of any new game is certainly never going to match up to their current game, DAoC has 7 years of improvements put into it and WoW is approaching 4 years. The huge amount of content which can be put into a game over this timeframe makes it difficult for newer games to compete. It takes time to balance classes and realms, as most of the time you can only see the flaws with your game design as soon as thousands of people get the chance to test it.

Anyway, if you want to make sure people continue to play the game then group with them as much as possible. People don't like soloing their way to the highest level, do quests and scenarios together and you might a lot more fun along the way.

Ye ppl have totaly lost the patience with new mmos, saw a post about new mmos vs ppls first mmo. that its much like ur first love and how u see all that with ur "love goggles" on and put them in a much better light then they realy were.

Lubbock

Fledgling Freddie
Yup im enjoying the game wont go anywhere, i got faith that they will fix bugs anmd such as we move on, remember game isnt even a month old yet, and already people are panicking, im just taking ti slow i know that rushing to the finish in a new MMORPG is just silly.

So im staying wont be go anywhere, and what is there to go too a anyhow, WoW i dont think so i juast dont have the time or patience to go back there, Conan tried it, didnt agree with me. ONly things left is going back to PoTBS but i suck at that, so Warhammer it is :p

Old Nicodemus

Loyal Freddie
The game itself is a casual players dream. Pop in, do what you want to do, pop out.

For many powergamers they have hit cap (or near cap) and are now wondering where all the fun is and are giving up. For the bulk of the population they are only just reaching late 20's early 30's and are enjoying the time they have to play.

Don't get me wrong this game has flaws. There are some class balance issues, there is too much reliance on BGs when open field RvR should be king, there is no penalty if you die in PvP (as stated DAoC pvp made you wait a good period if you died, we need that in WAR) and there is no real reason to open field RvR. The biggest one in my mind is that the PvE is limited and because it is limited there is no social interaction. There should be more PvE options than PQs. There should be more instanced dungeons in all tiers to allow people to group up and interact and the current instanced dungeons should be enhanced and made more enjoyable than the linear zerg they are currently.

I could list many more.

The trouble is, under all the flaws is actually a good game trying to break out. Perhaps all they need is time to tweak things, but at the end of the day the customer is a fickle beast, so time is something they don't really have.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Ye ppl have totaly lost the patience with new mmos, saw a post about new mmos vs ppls first mmo. that its much like ur first love and how u see all that with ur "love goggles" on and put them in a much better light then they realy were.
There's that, but I don't think it's only rose-tinted glasses. They're all basically the same shit, lvling, farming, some rvr, some online hanging about with e-community. Once the interest fades in one MMORPG, it fades in all of them to some degree - spell is broken, imo.

I remember been hooked from the gitgo on DAoC just PvEing and exploring this whole new world and community 'inside the PC'. Even tho looking back all the grinding was mindless. No way starting WAR gave any feeling of excitement remotely like it, ho hum more of this.

Myself, I can't see going mad for anything else till there's some whole new gaming evolution, like happened between the old MUDs and tabletop RPGs and the current MMORPG, except the next step.

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
Remove all forms of knockback,give immunity timer to stop chain cc,bring bright wizards damage into line.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
heh, WAR is just a shit game. Already said it was right after the release and recieved a warning for it (thanks Flimgoblin <3). Funny to see that alot of people are starting to realize that there's too much WoW in it for it to be good and it's a boring zerg game.

You moaned your way through DAoC as well, reassuring to know some things never change :)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Remove all forms of knockback,give immunity timer to stop chain cc,bring bright wizards damage into line.

Personally i think there is room for knockback, just not the kind that launches you into orbit :)

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
I like to look at it from a group vs group point of view. You won't have too many roots in a 6 man group. You might have a lot of knockbacks, but then there are ways to counter it (Magus/Engi/Marauder suck-em-in). I think it'll be fine. Overpowered classes will always be there.

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
Personally i think there is room for knockback, just not the kind that launches you into orbit :)

Just possibly a small knockback for healers but in it's retarded state it's just stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom