Home Server / NAS

soze

I am a FH squatter
Does FreeNAS play nicely in VMWare? I might take a look at running it up in a VMWare and then I can make sure I can get my VPN software running alongside Plex, SB and Sab which all look fairly straightforward before killing my Server 2012 build.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Does FreeNAS play nicely in VMWare? I might take a look at running it up in a VMWare and then I can make sure I can get my VPN software running alongside Plex, SB and Sab which all look fairly straightforward before killing my Server 2012 build.
It can be done but it's not recommended as disk writes aren't then controlled by FreeNAS but the hypervisor

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Folks, after a year of running the Home Server without any real issue (apart from SabNZB not installing properly), I'm getting constantly nagged by Ubuntu to upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04.

Is this worth doing? And is it safe to do an in place upgrade without breaking everything?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The <even year number>.04 releases (12.04, 14.04, 16.04 etc) are the LTS (Long Term Support) ones and are considered to be good and stable enough to run in production environments (and are guaranteed to be supported for 5 years after release). I tend to wait for the <even year number>.04.1 release just to be sure that all of the bugs are ironed out. I believe they don't start nagging you until the .1 version comes out. 16.04.1 came out in July and 16.04.2 is due in the 3rd week of January. Depending on your use case it's not worth bothering with the inbetween (<even year number>.10, <odd year number>.04/10)

Short answer: yes and yes.

Bodhi

Well I have hit "Yes" on the Are you really really sure prompt, let's see where we end up.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
and that's the last we ever heard of Bodhi ;)

Bodhi

No it's still going. Mostly becuase I ignored the manual, hit Yes and then went to the pub :)

I have just been told, however that "System Upgrade is Complete" and I should restart.

Oooh, exciting.

Bodhi

Wasn't in the end. Had to reinstall Plex, that's about it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Wasn't in the end. Had to reinstall Plex, that's about it.
Plex have an official docker container now. Might be worth investigating if you don't want to have to reinstall in future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom