HOLY SHIT. Baby expected. SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well, if you took away the tourism bonus, it's a pretty outdated and retarded concept by modern and/or civilised standards. There is no justification for it.

Wealth, power and status conferred purely by birth and no requirement whatsoever to earn it - all solely on the grounds that its tradition?

Makes no sense.

It's the head of state. I would rather a recognisable person or group of people than some politically motivated cunt bag (lets face it, any president is just there because of who's balls he cupped correctly) or some celebrity moron.

Also, it isn't just tourism...which in itself is huge, especially now the world is going mental for Will'n'Kate but it is also the trade that it brings in, it's one of the only things foreigners like about us. I think the queen has done an excellent job in that respect and I have no real problem with Charles or William. It's part of the British brand, Americans would rather throw money at the queen and the union jack than some jumped up town councillor.

I wouldn't want their lives, every action for the rest of your life scrutinised by vermin in the press, not being able to go anywhere and just do nothing. fuck that.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Ah right, perhaps of other country origin then, even if English? In any case, think it's about time you lot were ruled by you lot :p

But that's the point, we're not "ruled" by the Royals. We've made very sure they couldn't rule anything since we offered the Hanoverians the job in 1714. After hundreds of years of interfering dicks (especially the Stuarts), the Establishment wanted their royals safely controlled and passive and a pretty spectacle at parades for the proles to get excited about, and nothing has changed. Talk about Bread and Circuses, except the fuckers don't have the good grace to give us any bread...

DaGaffer

It's the head of state. I would rather a recognisable person or group of people than some politically motivated cunt bag (lets face it, any president is just there because of who's balls he cupped correctly) or some celebrity moron.

Also, it isn't just tourism...which in itself is huge, especially now the world is going mental for Will'n'Kate but it is also the trade that it brings in, it's one of the only things foreigners like about us. I think the queen has done an excellent job in that respect and I have no real problem with Charles or William. It's part of the British brand, Americans would rather throw money at the queen and the union jack than some jumped up town councillor.

I wouldn't want their lives, every action for the rest of your life scrutinised by vermin in the press, not being able to go anywhere and just do nothing. fuck that.

Sorry, but the trade thing is utter bullshit. Show me a single contract actually secured by a royal visit. Its a myth.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I don't know if in x-years time we will end up with a minimalist monarchy. Maybe we will. When the Charles, Lizzy, and Philip et al crowd die, we will be left with young modern royal blood. Maybe the law denying the first born female the throne will be repealed. Who knows.

One of the things that draws in the tourists is the pomp & ceremony. The fact that we are different to almost every other nation draws people over here from all corners of the globe. How come Kate gets more media attention than the queen of denmark or some Gucci princess of Monaco? Our monarchy is old fashioned and traditional, but it sells GB Plc around the world. Look at the Diamond Jubilee. The wedding of Wills & Kate. Hold a referendum tomorrow on the abolition of the monarchy and the republicans will be shafted so hard they'll need a chimney-sweep's brush to dislodge their anus from their tonsils. So to speak.
They have made it whom ever is born male or female will be equal already it doesn't matter if a boy is born next

russell

FH is my second home
Maybe I'm a miserable bastard, but when someone says "we're having a baby!", I'm like "cool! congrats" and expect that to be the end of it. The truth is, parents-to-be suddenly get a serious case of anal-cranial disorder and think that everyone wants / needs a running commentary of every banal and thoroughly dull detail of their pregnancy.

I'll be honest, I'm happy for those that start families, but don't expect to give a fuck past that initial burst of news. The same goes for this news article; happy for them, but I know I'm going to get months of this shite rammed down my throat.
You miserable old bastard!

Poag

m00?
Driving home last night this was the lead news item on every radio station.

Ended up driving in silence.

What a vacuous peoples we have become, i'd like to get off this ride now please?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Thing is, i'd be happily unknowing of this event if it weren't for this thread in freddys.

So, there's that, the lot of you adding to the trash you hate hearing about ;)

Poag

m00?
It goes worse this morning,

They were discussing names for it, also how Kate would be setting "Pregnancy Fashion".

Can i just go into a coma for the next 12 months?

News websites need a way to filter out stuff you dont want to read about.....for me basically anything relating to a 'celebrity'.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thing is, i'd be happily unknowing of this event if it weren't for this thread in freddys.

When they call the baby Charles Louis Arthur Tohtori Deebs Windsor you'll re-read the entire thread. Twice.;)

russell

FH is my second home
I am appreciating turning the news on and hearing about something positive. Don't really read papers or watch tv gossip type shows so it won't annoy me. Do think that hypermesis is quite dangerous for a woman as skinny as her and i hope she doesn't loose it. Get over it you miserable lot what ever happens of course it Will be headline news ...a welcome relief from doom and gloom recession.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Hey, it's santamas time, it's the only time of year there's a reason to be grumpy :unsure:

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i dont have a problem with the royal family, they cost us little do a reasonable amount of "good works", and arent politically tied so dont really see the problem.
People obsessing over this are the same retards who were distraught when diana died, or when jade goody died. lots of people die, get pregnant, ski into trees, get the fuck over it. stop reading heat magazine. theyre having a child ? good for them, hope it turns out ok. i will probably pay attention to it when its born to find out what flavour it is as it will be , i think, 3rd in line direct succesion. beyond that, im not really botherered.

the media follows it because people want to read about it, its nothing to do with royalty, and everything to do with vapid mongoloids who watch soap operas constantly, read all the shitty magazines, and think that that is what life is all about. as a an old mate of mine suggested, people should get 1 vote a year (or whatever). you can use it for political events or big brother/Xfactor, etc. but not both.

cull the people, problem solved

Himse

FH is my second home
Hah 'a welcome relief from doom and gloom recession'

I like the royals, but there's nothing that special about Will and Kate having a child.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well seeing as the child is the future king (or queen) of the country it is kinda news.

That's not to say we need daily updates ofc!

As for trade, Dagaffer, ofc they encourage trade, they are part of the British brand, from tourism to buying British stuff abroad. From someone who claims to have a background in marketing and shit it's surprising you do not see that.

rynnor

Rockhound
So...all of them don't get it right all of the time??

If by that you mean yes they enjoy lavishing themselves with luxurious spending at the taxpayers expense then I agree.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well seeing as the child is the future king (or queen) of the country it is kinda news.

Well put and good point there, from a total outsider POV that is.

DaGaffer

As for trade, Dagaffer, ofc they encourage trade, they are part of the British brand, from tourism to buying British stuff abroad. From someone who claims to have a background in marketing and shit it's surprising you do not see that.

Big whoop. A few "by Royal Appointment" labels on tea bags. Seriously, the effect of "Brand Britain" on international trade is minimal, which is why the trend over the last couple of decades has been to de-emphasise the "Britishness" of British products, except at the very high end, and for high end brands having a Royal connection is a tiny tiny part of their marketing strategy (if at all). Bottom line, Republican France and Italy manage to export a lot more than the UK does without flying a bunch of inbreds around on goodwill visits.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Gaff has a good point too, these days the only country holding britain in any kind of high value is britain.

Which is saying a lot due to the standard you hold to it :p

Fast

Part of the furniture
Fast facepalm all you want, had no idea what this was about :p
Erm, no idea about that one. I've been away and had limited internet so maybe I was all fingers and thumbs on my phone. As I care not! I'm not looking forward to the media coverage of this royal sprog being forced down my throat for the next..well my lifetime really.

Mabs

If by that you mean yes they enjoy lavishing themselves with luxurious spending at the taxpayers expense then I agree.

how much did they cost YOU last year

Mabs

I fail to see how sub-dividing immoral spending suddenly makes it ok?

because im happy to pay "my share", you seem upset by paying "your share" or are you making general statements on behalf of the entire population ?

rynnor

Rockhound
because im happy to pay "my share", you seem upset by paying "your share" or are you making general statements on behalf of the entire population ?

I am paying 70% of my income as tax which I believe gives me a right to question how it is mis-spent. You may be some vacuous royalist but I and many others are not.

Poag

m00?
If they are such a great "Brand", why are they tax payer subsidized? They have there own income from estates and brands they own (Dutchy Biscuits for example)...if they were so awesome, surly they should run themselves and we just tax them on the profits? You know...like everyone else....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom