Help0r

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Got a new mobo (Asus z270h) and cpu and ram.

Installed it in my case and booted and it just bombs out soon after starting. Don't think it's a heat problem and the speed settings look fine.

I think it's the fact windows 10 has the wrong chipset driver but I can't get to the point to install a new one.

I've tried it in safe mode but the Asus installer says it can't install because Windows Installer service isn't running and I can't make it run inSafe Mode.

Never had this problem before. Any ideas?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Have you tried updating the mobo bios?
Maybe grab a newer version of the win10 installer?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Managed to get the installer service running in safe mode and ran the Asus driver installer from the Asus site. It installed but claimed an error. I think that was just because roll back doesn't work properly in safe mode though. The PCI driver missing icon disappeared from device manager anyway.

However, on reboot into normal win10 it still falls over after login. Page faults and similar errors. Not always the same.

Hmmm....

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What are you installing to? If it's an M.2 SSD then there used to be some tomfoolery required in the BIOS settings to get it to work. Not sure if that still applies (I have 1 M.2 SSD and I had to do it for that so that's my entire experience).

Failing that you could download the BIOS update on a different puter and put it on a USB stick and update from within the BIOS of the new one.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I've still got a SATA SSD. The m2 one arrives on Friday :)

Might try setting BIOS to access it via IDE for a bit to see if that allows it to boot...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
You shouldn't have to mess around with that stuff these days. Win10 comes with ahci drivers, pretty sure win8 did already..

Could be a ram issue have you tried booted single stick on both sticks?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You're probably right. Mine was a clean install right after the original Win10 upgrade from 7 so it was very early days.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
There's 4 sticks of Ram. Think it would be quicker to boot to a Linux stick and test the ram there...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
mobo giving your RAM enough voltage?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Runs OK from an Ubuntu 17.04 USB stick.

Running Windows installation stick's mem test now. No problems detected so far...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Hmmmm.

Managed to get it stable by reducing clock speed. Running fine now on a fresh Windows install on the new m2 ssd. Moving all apps and games across from sata ssd now.

CPU is clocked down to 4ghz max. Should go higher really. Need to play. 4ghz is not enough!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Also the cores get up to 80 degrees under load. Think maybe the liquid cooler isn't working right.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
There's no way the temps should be that high if it's liquid cooled.

TdC

Also the cores get up to 80 degrees under load. Think maybe the liquid cooler isn't working right.

my 5930K's 25% OC'd and it was 54C under a Noctua while playing Elite Dangerous just now. 80C is just way too high chum. got your thermal paste all done and that stuff? maybe your water cooler has some kind of sensor connected to the mobo?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
my 5930K's 25% OC'd and it was 54C under a Noctua while playing Elite Dangerous just now. 80C is just way too high chum. got your thermal paste all done and that stuff? maybe your water cooler has some kind of sensor connected to the mobo?
Thought u gave up on elite again?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Yeah 80C is a joke, shouldn't go past 60 with any half decent cooler.

TdC

Thought u gave up on elite again?

turns out that it's a bug in the galaxy map when using Super Sampling above the lowest possible setting on 4K screens. the tooltip will appear , but somewhere off screen rather than on the selected star.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
turns out that it's a bug in the galaxy map when using Super Sampling above the lowest possible setting on 4K screens. the tooltip will appear , but somewhere off screen rather than on the selected star.
In english. It kinda works?

TdC

SS is an anti-aliasing method. you can tune how far the algorithm goes to decide if it is an edge or not. pushing this value up (better AA quality) causes the bug and makes Teeds be a sad panda. taking the value down gives worse AA quality which Teeds sees and also makes him a sad panda.

The Teed wants his ED to look really, really pretty. Bad AA detracts from his gaming pleasure :(

EliteDangerous64 2017-04-23 02-11-47.png

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yup, definitely a cooling issue. Those temps are way too high for a 120mm rad/fan, even worse for 240mm.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Fuuucking hell. :(

Lowered the voltage which helped a bit and reseated the cooler on the CPU with new thermal paste (after cleaning the old stuff off with the proper solution) which didn't make any difference at all.

Then increased the radiator fan-speed a bit at each temperature in the config area in BIOS which helped a little but then set the CPU speed back to what it should be.

Played CoD 4: Remastered single player for half an hour then. Was as smooth as silk, no complaints there. However the radiator fans sounded like a lawnmower throughout. Checked Core Temp afterwards and it said the max temp reached on two of the cores was 93 degrees.

What the fuck?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I'm guessing the cooler is just fubar and you need to rma it, or the cpu is totally fucked - one or the other.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Seems unlikely that it's the CPU. I'd say it's working heroically in the circumstances :)

Probably the cooler. I wonder if the pump is knackered. Might try unplugging the fan from power when in BIOS to see if the temps increase. If not then they aren't doing anything because the water isn't actually moving.

The fans would have been going onto max trying to shift the heat but to no avail.

Tomorrow's job... :(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Did you buy the CPU retail or OEM? If retail do you have the stock cooler you can put on there for testing?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
OEM

Will play with it and maybe return. Might get an EVO 212 as backup.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
OK. Tried using AIDA64 against it with the radiator fans plugged and unplugged. Although plugging them in makes about 1-2 degrees difference under no load (and after like 2 minutes), it makes fuck all difference when the CPU is under load even though the fans are basically attempting to take off at that stage. Gets to 95 degrees in next to no time (never run the whole test through as I've seen all I need to see :/)

Faulty pump or something wrong with the fluid I guess.

Emailed the vendor just now. Waiting for response.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Talked it through with vendor. Reseated the cooler including the brackets that attach to the mobo as well. Something was a bit loose there. Weird.

Now maxes out at stock speeds under AIDA64 at 76. Under gaming it maxes out at 71. Not too loud now either.

Much better and liveable with but I'm not yet sure how much headroom it leaves for overclocking. Another .3ghz and more voltage could up that temp a lot.

Frankly I think i could get better with a Noctua air cooler and it would be quieter too.

Users who are viewing this thread