Help

W

Wazzerphuk

I've been in the UT scene a long time - several months before it came out. I've seen a fair share of problems with UT (unstable crap :)) and solved them...

This latest one has got me though...

A couple of minutes into the game, UT will just quit. No warning, no errors, nothing. It'll just exit the game in a flash. I've fuck all idea of what's causing it, and what could possibly be done...

This has only started happening since I've got my new rig. I'm now running a Duron 950, TNT2 and 160MB RAM in Win2k. When UT runs, it runs smoothly and sweetly - I'm certain it can't be a hardware problem... Nothing is overheating or anything like that...

Anyone got any ideas, please?

(I'd much appreciate this being fixed before the league starts up properly... :))

P

potted frog

Possibilities include :-

screwed-up / damaged ut files - very little chance
hardware drivers - possible
directx - possible - 8 is a little wierd on my system
virus on system - little chance but worth checking

Errr , apart from that , dunno really :)

W

Wazzerphuk

Yeah, on closer inspection it DOES appear to be an overheating problem...

I'm unsure whether it's the Duron, or the TNT2. Either way I'll stick the other fan on and see how that helps....

W

Wij

For some reason UT is VERY sensitive to overclocking (much more than other fps) and can crash a lot if the system is not 100% stable.

O

old.SUp3rFM

That's right. That's why some OC's use UT to check that everything is ok :)

W

Wij

hehe, me too. much better than a Linux kernel compilation :D

W

Wazzerphuk

Hehe. The second fan seems to keep things just those vital couple of degrees less.... I wonder if I can o/c this Duron any more now... :)

W

Wij

Worth a go but not if it causes 'no-UT' syndrome :)

W

Wazzerphuk

Doesn't seem a great deal of point now the league's been fucked up the arse by a lame few... :/

O

old.Cpl_Custard

My machine roars. Got about 8 fans in it. Got my own little kit which lets me turn them off, and on a nice LCD display cycles between CPU temp GPU temp and general case temp. V useful.

W

Wazzerphuk

Hmmm. UT still seems to decide the CPU is getting too hot after long periods of play and/or heavy action.... :/
I really don't want to have the Duron on any less than 950.... :)

W

Wazzerphuk

I'm a college student ffs, where do you think I'm gonna get the money from? :)

W

Wazzerphuk

Talking of needing money, is anyone prepared to lend me £30 to get B&W? :)

W

Wazzerphuk

Bastard.
:)

Seriously though, anyone wanna lend (I'll pay you back) money? :)

(Oh and UT seems to be ok if I use both fans and open the side of the case up) :)

T

Testin da Cable

not to be a pain, but if you have to go thru so much just to run at the speed you do...why not just drop down 100Mhz or so and run with less hastle?

oh and /me pledges 10p too :)

O

old.Cpl_Custard

soz m8 can't afford 10p, /me fiddles through his pockets...

ten mins later ;) he pulls out a 2p coin.

W

Wazzerphuk

DROP DOWN 100MHz?! ARE YOU INSANE? :)

Hehe, nah. I'm happy with the way it is.

Sop thanks to you guys I now have 22p.... I'll be claiming that money you know..... Any more offers? :)

O

old.|V3|WhiteTiger

I had a Strange Geforce Problem too LOL

Originally posted by Wazzerphuk

(Oh and UT seems to be ok if I use both fans and open the side of the case up) :)
That´s funny i had the same problem :confused: .
I have a P3 600 and a Geforce 256 Sdram (The first Graphic Card that featured the Gpu 256 i bought it as soon as it was available here in Portugal :D ) the system was running UT in perfect condition during six months you can believe me when I say this because the only thing i did with my Pc was playing UT LOL i even played for 24 hours without major pauses once.But after the first six months the problems started and the only way i could run UT was with the PC case open and with a powerful domestic fan pointing right at the Geforce :D :D LOL .
I tried everything to solve my problem , changed drivers again and again ....i even bought a new 300W power supply unit since this was a very common problem with the first Geforce Cards . But nothing solved the problem .
Since my PC still was in the guarantee period i had those nice people at my local PC store sort the problem out and almost drove them nuts because UT was the only program that crashed on the dam PC LOL .
Finaly they changed the motherboard and everything was fine but i still don´t understand why my motherboard suddenly became incompatible with my Geforce , by the way my old motherboard is now installed in the PC they use at the store and runs just fine :confused: :confused: :confused:

[Edited by |V3|WhiteTiger on 15-04-01 at 16:20]

W

Wazzerphuk

you don't seem to understand

1) I don't have a GeForce
2) It's nothing to do with my gfx card overheating, my TNT2u stays very cool.

O

old.|V3|WhiteTiger

I didn´t say you have a Geoforce when i say that i had the same proplem i meant that i only could play with the PC case open and a fan pointed at the PC.
After all my Geforce was not overheating either ;)

[Edited by |V3|WhiteTiger on 15-04-01 at 20:19]

W

Wazzerphuk

"I had a Strange Geforce Problem too"
"After all my Geforce was not overheating either "

Care to get your stories sorted out so that they DON'T contradict?

O

old.|V3|WhiteTiger

Ok you got me ;) my topic is wrong ;)
I don´t want to make a discussion out of this mate ;)
Cya online
PS:Maybe you´ll taste my Minigun one day ;)

[Edited by |V3|WhiteTiger on 16-04-01 at 00:34]

O

old.Musician

Probably of no use whatsoever but I recently upped to an KT&A-Raid and Athlon 1gig. Playing UT it would crash after a short while and I ahd to completely restart the PC. I thought it was the V3 overheating but in the end it was because I had the SBLive in the PCI slot next to the AGP slot which apparently cause problems on ABIT boards. As I say probably not much use to you wazzer but for who know might be someone with the same problem I had :)

W

Wazzerphuk

they're about 3 slots apart from each other (my SB card and TNT2u) that is. :)

O

old.-=UKF=-Warrior

problem!!!

i had this problem myself as i think its down to win2k so i reverted back to win98 S.E no probs after that

Users who are viewing this thread