Hearthstone

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
So got a beta invite for this a few days ago and i've been playing it pretty much none stop... quite disappointed tbh, seems like nothing but rng pay2win rng pay2win rng pay2win rng pay2win rng pay2win.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It replaces the TCG btw. Trading cards were never free.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
It replaces the TCG btw. Trading cards were never free.

Aye I get that :p just seems like a massive cash sink for rich imbeciles to me, its like £5-6 a deck or you can buy like 20 decks for £35 or something.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Which is cheaper than the TCG :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Which is cheaper than the TCG :)

:p wouldn't know, never really did the TCG, bought a few booster boxes ages ago to try my luck at getting a spectral tiger and other mounts but thats about it.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Looks like a dumbed down version of Magic the Gathering to me. Still might be interesting to play I guess. Just a shame there's no magic style card games with monster/magic animations, just a card in a grid style gameplay.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Eevery starcraft personality seems to be playing this atm. I got a little hyped at first because everyone else seemed to be, but after watching a few games I've realised I have no interest in it at all.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
There's nothing pay to win about it :p

I hate that people who don't paly it get the beta keys.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
There's nothing pay to win about it :p

I hate that people who don't paly it get the beta keys.

Nothing pay to win about it? have you even played it? started off doing practice games to get the hang of it first, went straight into play mode after that, met people who i've beaten who had the same/similar cards as me and then ran into people who had more or less a full deck of completely broken cards, bare in mind this is still in beta, once its wiped for live buying multiple decks puts you at a huge advantage compared to people who simply won't buy cards, there for its pay-2-win. There are simply so many broken cards and paying is simply an easy route to getting said cards as opposed to playing 3 games and getting 100 gold (100 gold = 1 deck = 5 cards - £35 = 20 decks = 100 cards = pay2win)

Arena on the other hand is fairly balanced (in the sense that they can't bring in their purchased op decks of win) as everyone entering Arena gets to pick from completely random cards, there is no pay2win there tho its still hugely rng based - its not like magic where you know which cards are in your deck and you get a chance of those cards you've hand picked you simply get to choose 30 completely random cards (they pop up in groups of 3 and you get to pick 1 card all the way to 30 cards) so you could get the shitest deck humanly possible or you could get a deck that will crush everyone, if you lose 3 times in Arena you are out but the more games you win the better the reward when you do finally go out.

Might also be worth pointing out you can craft cards from cards you disenchant so having more cards means you can make cards you want so buying them again puts you at a huge advantage over none buyers = again pay2win.

Eevery starcraft personality seems to be playing this atm. I got a little hyped at first because everyone else seemed to be, but after watching a few games I've realised I have no interest in it at all.

Most of them are playing it and streaming it because they know people will watch it on twitch thus they can make revenue from it, that's probably the only reason they are playing it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I had the beta invite in September but it went to my junk folder! Only found it yesterday. Only played a little bit, it's OK but not really my cup of tea I think. If they start sticking in rare WoW pets or mounts I might dabble now and again. If they release it on Android as well as I-Poo then I would play it a lot on my phone.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Simply put; you can't buy yourself an unfair advantage/you can earn every single card without paying a dime. Not P2W.

There's also people who have been playing -longer- and unlocked all class cards etc, again not P2W, just people who hav e put in the time.

Matchmaking may be unfair, it's beta, but it's certainly not P2W.

Just because you enter in as a nooby and get matched against people who aren't, doesn't make it P2W. I'd be interested to know which cards you find broken, these magical moneycards no one could have without cash :p

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Simply put; you can't buy yourself an unfair advantage/you can earn every single card without paying a dime. Not P2W.

There's also people who have been playing -longer- and unlocked all class cards etc, again not P2W, just people who hav e put in the time.

Matchmaking may be unfair, it's beta, but it's certainly not P2W.

Just because you enter in as a nooby and get matched against people who aren't, doesn't make it P2W. I'd be interested to know which cards you find broken, these magical moneycards no one could have without cash :p

You miss the point entirely and you CAN buy an unfair advantage via crafting the excess cards away.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There are certainly a lot of balance issues. Absolutely creaming people now. Not paid a penny.

Its Beta, not early access, not a demo...Beta

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Balance issues, yes. MAtchmaking problems, yes. Pay ro win, no. There is no pay to win element in the game especially as money only buys you legendaries(that are highly situational) and even then most of your money is spent on random cards.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
even then most of your money is spent on random cards.

*sigh* Which can then be DISENCHANTED into Arcane Dust and used to craft ANY CARD YOU WANT - lots of purchases = lots of cards = lots of disenchants = lots of shiny new cards of your choice = pay2win decks.

Tohtori1.jpg
Tohtori2.jpg
tohtori3.jpg

Last edited:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, now would you note that you need to DE 8 mad bombers just to make one. No unfair advantage there, just faster progression at best.

Your only proof of pay to win is that you lost as a nooby player to people. This doesn't prove anything as they could've gotten their "uber" deck with A: playing more then you B: disenchanting other class cards(again, playing more then you).

There is ZERO cards you can't get by playing and you even advance when losing games. There is no pay to win element here.

Look at it this way; can the top 10 players get to their decks by paying only? If not, then not a pay to win. bNooby fights with decks that you haven't put the effort in don't count.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, now would you note that you need to DE 8 mad bombers just to make one. No unfair advantage there, just faster progression at best.

Your only proof of pay to win is that you lost as a nooby player to people. This doesn't prove anything as they could've gotten their "uber" deck with A: playing more then you B: disenchanting other class cards(again, playing more then you).

There is ZERO cards you can't get by playing and you even advance when losing games. There is no pay to win element here.

Look at it this way; can the top 10 players get to their decks by paying only? If not, then not a pay to win. bNooby fights with decks that you haven't put the effort in don't count.

You can get every card playing, that's correct but its so slow in comparison by the time you a solid deck you'll likely already be getting steam rolled by a good players that have thrown hundreds if not thousands at the RL cash decks. Also worth noting that not all cards disenchant for 5 Arcane Dust - it varies on the cards level and considering you never need more than 2 of any card (1 of some cards even) because of deck limits they can disenchant them without thinking twice about it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
you'll likely already be getting steam rolled by a good players

That's your problem, not buying cards.

Gather your class cards, do your quests and that's that. Takes maybe a week(max) to gather a class full and have your preferred class deck at an adequate level.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I presume you have let Blizzard know your findings btw? Using the form in the client.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
they don't care as long as the cash keeps flowing, its quite a silly thing tho, you could compare it to starcraft in a sense

Everyone has access to the same tier of tech but if there was a button where you could immediately purchase tier3 tech it instantly puts you ahead of of the guy going the normal route - this is no different, you could argue everyone will be the same eventually but the fact of the matter is at release buyers will have a huge advantage over normal players (some of the cards really are that broken where a single card can win the game for you, now imagine that with a full deck of game winning cards vs someone with normal cards they've been getting via leveling up and the odd deck they get when they have enough gold)

silly system really, they should disallow cash purchased cards to be disenchanted to prevent such a thing but instead add a trading post of sorts where you can swap cards with other players.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
That's where the matchmaking system comes in.

rynnor

Rockhound
When Everquest did this with their Legends Of Norrath CCG they included loot cards for their other games which was a major driver for sales - are Blizzard doing the same thing in hearthstone? (I understand they did it in the physical CCG that preceded it but couldn't see anything about it in relation to hearthstone).

Edit - found a blue answer on the US battle.net forums for Hearthstone that they wont be doing loot - quite surprising really considering how lucrative they are.

Last edited:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I presume you have let Blizzard know your findings btw? Using the form in the client.

You're expecting people to actually do their cloed beta job? :D

Blood probably ran into a priest who did the whole double-life trick, or some other such gimmick and assumed from there.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
Ive been watching a few casters stream this and can not wait to give it a go. I rarely get the chance to game for extended sessions like I used to so somehting I can jump in and out of for fifteen to twenty minute bursts are right up my street. Just wish I could get a beta invite.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
If you signed up for beta, check your junk folders.

I am not overly keen on it myself, its just too slow.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
Yeah I've checked it to make sure its not in some spam folder and still no luck, if anyone has a spare or knows how I can get one quickly im all ears.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I signed up the day it was available for EU and still nothing, it's released soonish so i doubt they'll give more keys.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone else playing this? I'm really impressed so far, really enjoying how it works and manages to stay fun without getting overly geeked.

If you've not come across it yet it's a card battling game by Blizzard, set in the WOW universe. At first glance I thought it was a bit like a lite version of Magic, but it defintely seems to have more to it than that.

It's in open beta at the moment (free to play), and they keep making changes to balance etc, but I'd recommend everyone gives it a try if they've got even a passing interest in strategy, card games or the like.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I just don't see the point of it on the PC. Sure it would be a decent time killer when sat on the bog or on my lunch break (or both!) but other than that I just get bored after 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom