[HBO] The Newsroom

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah, having got through The Wire in very short order (I realised it existed about halfway through when season 5 was actually airing so I had a straight run through without having to wait for any eps), I genuinely can't see how it can not absolutely grip you and take you through every emotion that exists on a regular basis. It has incredible storylines, great dialogue, a really solid cast (I can't think of one cast member who I didn't like or didn't think fit the role). There is nothing not to like.

It will leave you on the brink of tears (the brink :eek:) at times (
Randy in the hospital waiting room after his foster mother's house got burned down because they thought he was a snitch: "You gonna look out for me? You gonna look out for me, Sergeant Carver? You mean it? You gonna look out for me?"
) and it might well take a few eps to get into it but it is *so* worth it, I cannot stress how worth it it is if you persevere.

It eats shows like The Shield (which is fantastic in its own right, don't get me wrong) for breakfast. But anyway, this is a discussion for another thread and now I'm seriously contemplating re-watching The Wire.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Maybe the wire isn't as easy to get into as the sopranos, but it's 10x better than the sopranos when you do get into it imo.

I started watching the newsroom yesterday, I quite enjoyed the first 2 episodes so I'm going to stick with it.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I stopped watching the wire after season 1 and slagged it off a bit and laughed when people suggested it was the best show ever. Then eventually went back and watched the rest and now firmly agree with the best show opinion.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, having got through The Wire in very short order (I realised it existed about halfway through when season 5 was actually airing so I had a straight run through without having to wait for any eps), I genuinely can't see how it can not absolutely grip you and take you through every emotion that exists on a regular basis. It has incredible storylines, great dialogue, a really solid cast (I can't think of one cast member who I didn't like or didn't think fit the role). There is nothing not to like.

It will leave you on the brink of tears (the brink :eek:) at times (
Randy in the hospital waiting room after his foster mother's house got burned down because they thought he was a snitch: "You gonna look out for me? You gonna look out for me, Sergeant Carver? You mean it? You gonna look out for me?"
) and it might well take a few eps to get into it but it is *so* worth it, I cannot stress how worth it it is if you persevere.

It eats shows like The Shield (which is fantastic in its own right, don't get me wrong) for breakfast. But anyway, this is a discussion for another thread and now I'm seriously contemplating re-watching The Wire.
Reviews like this are exactly why I found it so underwhelming. I watched the whole first season which i though was Good . I then watched 4 episodes of season 2 and promptly deleted the rest.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Haven't watched ep 5 yet (about to) but I have really enjoyed it so far... in fact I think I may have pointed some of you at it in another thread. I like the interplay between characters and the board room aspect too, highly enjoyable tv.

With regards The Wire, it's an awesome show but yes, very difficult to get started on. Word of fact - persevere as it is worth it!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
My DL speed is absurdly crap.

They'll be showing Season 12 of Newsroom before I've finished DLing SE0105 :cry:

Think I need to change my ISP...

I bet Bill Gates has a fast home connection.

soze

I am a FH squatter

They'll be showing Season 12 of Newsroom before I've finished DLing SE0105 :cry:

If you leave a computer on then look into SickBeard it starts downloads automatically, my copy of Newsroom started downloading at 05.15.

mooSe_

FH is my second home

mine's downloading at 0.1kbs :cry:

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
mine's downloading at 0.1kbs :cry:

Story of my DL life lol. I feel your pain m8. Mine's good Sunday mornings for some reason. Its like lightning then. I think its the contention ratio.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I know she is a bit quirky looking but I am developing a thing for Maggie, she is a sweetheart and that smile just kills me.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I know she is a bit quirky looking but I am developing a thing for Maggie, she is a sweetheart and that smile just kills me.

It's the eyes, fella!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
She looks as though she would make you breakfast in the morning too.

fnnnnnnng

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
THAT. FUCKING. INTRO!! :mad:

Besides that I am really enjoying it :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Ep 5 good, but the ending was a bit sickly.

What is it with Americans and February 14? I fecking hate being in the office on Valentines Day.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
It truly is a great show. The intro is killing me though, nice classic intro music, its fitting, gives you a good news room feeling (whatever that is)... but omfg, with the recap of previous episodes its 2.5 minutes long before the ep. starts.
When it comes to intros, fallen sky makes it best, its about 2.5 seconds long...

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I hated the music over the opening credits at first but it's really grown on me

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Burn Notice is still my least favourite intro ever. It's not even related to the ep; they're recapping his ENTIRE story before each show.

"My name is Michael Westen..." we *know*, Michael, we watch you every fucking week. :eek:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Burn Notice is still my least favourite intro ever. It's not even related to the ep; they're recapping his ENTIRE story before each show.

"My name is Michael Westen..." we *know*, Michael, we watch you every fucking week. :eek:

For the last fucking 5 years. It does my head in.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Currently DL'ing ep6 at the epic speed of 3 kb/s

It would actually be quicker for me to wait 6 months, drive to Heathrow, get a flight to Los Angeles, pop into a record shop, buy the DVD, fly back & watch it.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It's another good one, very character driven this time but I enjoy all the main characters so it is golden.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Just watched Ep 6. That interview scene with Rick Santorum's aide was excellent. More of that please. Less of the whole Will-Mac drama queen shite. I now Ffd through the beginning 2.5 minutes (Previously on + the slightly annoying opening sequence & schmultzy music)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The Will and Mac stuff is part of what makes the show endearing, same with Maggie and Jim. Good strong and likeable characters all engaged in an interesting newsroom story but branching off into thier own lives.

Anyone who likes the way the show calls out all the major parties on their bullshit really should be watching The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, he rips them a new arsehole 4 nights a week and really shows the political process for what it is.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
The Rick Santorum's aid interview was ace, i really felt for the poor guy when he answered the last question. I dont mind the Will-Mac drama, they could tone it down some... but the Maggie-Jim soon-to-be-train-crash thats interesting :)
Was really impressed with David Krumholtz as the doctor considering what he have done previously.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ugh, they slapped the "USA USA USA" on a bit in that ep. Still great TV though, gotta love Sorkin's snappy dialogue. I've disliked Don up until now but he was good in the aeroplane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom