[HBO] The Newsroom

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Nope, just the mask and a t-shirt with 'I love Gary Glitter!' on the front.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Not sure the series has legs, but I'm enjoying it after watching ep2 today.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I watched the first episode this morning and I really liked it. They will need to divert off into fake news to keep it going but I did really enjoy this and found it very similar to West Wing. The character development will come in time. But it did enough to get my attention.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah I liked it too, I think they're going to be presenting a "real" news story every week, which should provoke some interesting reactions from the journalists that actually broke the stories...

soze

I am a FH squatter
Episode two was good and as suspected we got a bit more character development. So far I am finding this very well written and find it easy to care about and get involved with the characters. I do believe I went the whole hour with out touching my laptop which is great going.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I was happy they didn't start down a formulaic route - ie some new major story blahblah, they went for character development which is much better.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The Newsroom dropped 19% of its viewers in week two fingers crossed it levels out before the idiot yanks drop it :(

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Enjoyed ep2.

Always double check who you send your emails to !!

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Ah yes email, that magical new technology that no one knows how to use correctly.

Lame plot device was lame.

soze

I am a FH squatter
If you have never had to explain to a idiot user that once they have sent a email to the wrong person they can just take it back you are a lucky so and so.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Some good dialogue in Ep.3. Cracking scene between Fonda & Waterston.
Roll on Ep.4

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Going from strength to strength. Great episode.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Ep 4 wasn't bad either. Not as good as 3, but its still got legs.
BTW, Futurama ep 6 new season was a hoot :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The Newsroom hasn't put a foot wrong for me, yet. I look on sites like AV Club and they're giving the last episode (e04) a D+ and I'm thinking what are you smoking. It would be interesting to see how US reviews stack up against non-US because it sounds like some people on that side of the pond have a bit of an issue with Sorkin writing his own beliefs of the problems in the media into Will's character.

I usually like AV Club stuff (because it's, y'know, sensible) but their reviews of this show have been just plain wrong imo.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
It is an excellent show, the reason the critics don't like it is because they keep hammering the tea party and republicans but they also conviently forget how many times it has gone after Obama. America is all about party politics and when you go after them there is bound to be a big backlash.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Yanks hate it because you have to concentrate for an hour to get anything from the show. They are too busy tweeting and probably miss a subtle import part of the story and end up not knowing what the hell is going on after the hour. It also slags of America and points out a lot of the hypocrisy of that country.

EP4 Spoiler

Going after the NRA in that episode will cost them big. Even though they only pointed out that people were telling lies about Obama and his gun policy the gun nuts will not like it.

I still think it is a great show and one of the only one currently running where I will pause it is someone talks to me or my phone goes off.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Brilliant show, my favourite new show so far this year. Was glad after the first episode that it didn't go all formulaic (character development, leading into the crescendo of one major news story). They mix it up quite well and the latest episode was so well paced. HBO just never fails :p.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Honestly I think all of you are wrong as to why "American critics" dislike it. I actually love the show but it is easy to see the problems with it. It's kindof of a smug, pontificating total misuse of hindsight.

Now that doesn't bother me at all because I think it's really well written. But I think to say people don't like it because of who it is targeting us unfair.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
The Newsroom hasn't put a foot wrong for me, yet. I look on sites like AV Club and they're giving the last episode (e04) a D+ and I'm thinking what are you smoking. It would be interesting to see how US reviews stack up against non-US because it sounds like some people on that side of the pond have a bit of an issue with Sorkin writing his own beliefs of the problems in the media into Will's character.

I usually like AV Club stuff (because it's, y'know, sensible) but their reviews of this show have been just plain wrong imo.
Love the AV Club.....even if I disagree with what the critics have to say a lot.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
HBO just never fails :p.

I have tried 6 or seven times to get into season 1 of the Wire. I just can't stay with it. While it was playing I found myself surfing the net or playing with the phone. I'm afraid its going bye-bye off my hard drive. Never had that with Sopranos. Great from episode 1. Maybe its just me...:unsure:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The wire is the best thing ever on TV in all time ever.

*though it is pretty good.

eksdee

FH is my second home
I have tried 6 or seven times to get into season 1 of the Wire. I just can't stay with it. While it was playing I found myself surfing the net or playing with the phone. I'm afraid its going bye-bye off my hard drive. Never had that with Sopranos. Great from episode 1. Maybe its just me...:unsure:

Sacrilege. Thought the Sopranos was excellent too, but you don't like The Wire... seriously?!

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
It takes a while to get into but it's well worth it in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom