have they raised the population cap yet on...

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
but some of us rolled on a server that was not full, and that has since become full.

We are paying for a service we cant really use at the moment, I personally am not moaning about the queues, I am complaining about how they are managed.

having to re-queue after a CTD, spend 50 mins queueing, 20 mins playing, CTD for less than 2 mins and then spend another 50 mins queueing is quite ridiculous .

They should introduce a timeout for accounts that have not logged out correctly, if after 5-10 mins that account has not come back online it is marked as inactive and is then forced to requeue. They should also stop accounts in the queue from being marked as AFK, I personally dont want to sit there looking at a timer for 50 mins, but I also do not want to be kicked from a server 15 seconds after being allowed on, just because I happened to be doing something else while waiting.

mgX

Fledgling Freddie
Order - Karak Hirn here.... never had any problems getting on :)

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
The issue is the game needs to be balanced both sides, it's not Mythic or GoA's falut theres a 30/70 spilt towards destro, if it was allowed for the masses to not que then Order would be perma zerged and always lose thus switch sides or give up, then we'll have no Order and the game would become pointless..

If you want queues to go away encourage more players to roll Order :) theres more RVR this side
not really they could give the final RVR zones a population cap instead so people can atleast be on the server doing something..

i can understand mythic not wanted 200 people fighting 100 order at a capital siege but restricting the whole server just because there "might" be a zerg sucks

arknor

Fledgling Freddie
The issue is the game needs to be balanced both sides, it's not Mythic or GoA's falut theres a 30/70 spilt towards destro, if it was allowed for the masses to not que then Order would be perma zerged and always lose thus switch sides or give up, then we'll have no Order and the game would become pointless..

If you want queues to go away encourage more players to roll Order :) theres more RVR this side
not really they could give the final RVR zones a population cap instead so people can atleast be on the server doing something..

i can understand mythic not wanted 200 people fighting 100 order at a capital siege but restricting the whole server just because there "might" be a zerg sucks.

btw i would happily switch to order if GOA were going to give me an equally geared and leveled character on the order side instead.
but as it is im destruction and i should not be punished for that.

they could have stopped new acounts from joining the busy servers days ago and everything would have been fine.

it was only after the proper launch (not the headstart) that the queues got out of hand before then the queues were small enough that when they boosted the pop cap they went away

pez

Can't get enough of FH

i can understand mythic not wanted 200 people fighting 100 order at a capital siege but restricting the whole server just because there "might" be a zerg sucks.

btw i would happily switch to order if GOA were going to give me an equally geared and leveled character on the order side instead.
but as it is im destruction and i should not be punished for that.

they could have stopped new acounts from joining the busy servers days ago and everything would have been fine.

it was only after the proper launch (not the headstart) that the queues got out of hand before then the queues were small enough that when they boosted the pop cap they went away

We're less than a week in. In the grand scheme of how long you play mmorpgs thats nothing. Also If you had switched the moment queues were apparent you would have wasted like 2 days. I ditched my destruction char and it was the best thing I ever did. I reached the lvl 15 purely through scenarios and had a lot more fun than I ever could playing deso.

Soazak

Part of the furniture

Lucky though it wont be like that as the queues are protecting it, on the server select screen order is full occasionally, destro has a high queue..so that means its pretty much equal numbers actually logged in and playing.

Even when there isnt a queue on order, the 100-200 people on destro are not an awful lot when it is compared to the 2000-3000(?) people already logged in.

Although it leads me to believe the server caps are only about 1000 as I never seem to see many people...

Frosty

Fledgling Freddie
but some of us rolled on a server that was not full, and that has since become full.

We are paying for a service we cant really use at the moment, I personally am not moaning about the queues, I am complaining about how they are managed.

having to re-queue after a CTD, spend 50 mins queueing, 20 mins playing, CTD for less than 2 mins and then spend another 50 mins queueing is quite ridiculous .

They should introduce a timeout for accounts that have not logged out correctly, if after 5-10 mins that account has not come back online it is marked as inactive and is then forced to requeue. They should also stop accounts in the queue from being marked as AFK, I personally dont want to sit there looking at a timer for 50 mins, but I also do not want to be kicked from a server 15 seconds after being allowed on, just because I happened to be doing something else while waiting.

I agree

Grimlorn

Fledgling Freddie
On us side on my server which is one of the few that is open, I have come across a 300 queue for destruct, and around 100 for Order. Sometimes I can't even get into the queue to eventually play, it will say something like too many players, try again later.

They have cloned some servers on the US side, so you can switch servers and just start playing your characters there. However, my guild hasn't decided to switch and I don't think it will switch so we're still stuck on that server in the queue times right now. Hopefully it will even out once they know how many servers they need so there isn't such a long queue time. I think waiting on 300 people takes about 30 minutes.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
but some1 above said the que is because of ballence it isnt actualy. it seems they split the server cap down the midle so both side havve thier own server cap. so they could open up the server cap as it would also increase the cap on the order side.
but on most servers order do not have to que hence why up the caps would just make destro have way bigger numbers with some severs having que's of 400+ and order not having any que

i agree if both side's have a que of 100+ each side then up by 100 see how it goes if there still a que on both sides then up it again (but as i had read it before release this was what was ment to happen)

Iorlas

Fledgling Freddie
then play another server. honestly qqing about queues to play doesnt help anyone

3 day headstart,a guild and lots of friends playing.. o yea sure i'll just go on another server start allover again then in 2 weeks time the same problem.just stfu if you just wanna come and troll.

Lookdaddy

One of Freddy's beloved
surely the sooner the better then?

At the moment everyone is complaining about the queues, but no one willing to move to Order, or change server. Like it was said above its not goa/mythics fault...

Mythic already introduced the server cloning and no one is willing to move to the cloned server, so they have 1 overpopulated server and 1 empty server...win!

I dont see how moveing servers is gonna solve the problem do you? just move the problem to a differant server!

Also we all pay good money for the game, we should be able to play on any realm/server we want without having to w8 hours on end to log in!

Frosty

Fledgling Freddie
The way i see it is at prime time there are about 200-300 order in Q and about 550 destruction . so whats wrong with raising the cap 300 so its only then 200 in Q for destruction and zero for order.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
On us side on my server which is one of the few that is open, I have come across a 300 queue for destruct, and around 100 for Order. Sometimes I can't even get into the queue to eventually play, it will say something like too many players, try again later.

They have cloned some servers on the US side, so you can switch servers and just start playing your characters there. However, my guild hasn't decided to switch and I don't think it will switch so we're still stuck on that server in the queue times right now. Hopefully it will even out once they know how many servers they need so there isn't such a long queue time. I think waiting on 300 people takes about 30 minutes.

it`s not like there are not enough servers. it`s just that everyone descided to play on the same few servers and noone is willing to give in.

even cloning the servers on US did aparantly nothing.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
it`s not like there are not enough servers. it`s just that everyone descided to play on the same few servers and noone is willing to give in.

Thats not entirely fair or accurate. This particular problem is of GOA's own making because they woudn't offer a full set of servers to be available at Headstart so people with collectors and special editions were forced onto a tiny server selection then naturally our friends come along at full launch and want to play together.

For us, cloning is the only thing that makes it worth considering moving. We did a server migration in WoW and it was very troublesome for a variety of reasons, an experience we don't really wish to repeat. We've coordinated with too many people for a piecemeal move to be even remotely attractive.

Should GOA offer cloned servers, we'll look very closely at what's on offer. Patience is wearing thin in many quarters regarding the queues. Under the queing situation, even 1 CTD becomes angry-making and we've got several players in our guild as well as allied guilds that have been suffering. I personally have had a relatively smooth time once I make it through the long queue. Once on, I daren't switch chars to an alt though as its back to queing, which is irksome.

Realistically GOA have at most another week to have a working solution in place before people really start firing forum-based rockets at them.

A factor (size of factor down to an individual's perception of course) in this is also Blizzard's likely release of the pre-WotLK patch in the coming week or so which will add a lot of interesting stuff for peoples' WoW toons as well as some new content, which will mean a lot of people will be going back there to try out the new stuff. New content in WoW as well as painful experiences getting into WAR could move some people sooner, rather than later, back to WoW.

Queues on our server are into the 500s tonight with people waiting up to 40 minutes or so to play. Trite comments along the line of "Find another server" just don't wash. There is *nobody* that willingly gives up their invested time on a character and certainly not if a large-ish group of people have spent a lot of time arranging guilds and alliances in advance.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Thats not entirely fair or accurate. This particular problem is of GOA's own making because they woudn't offer a full set of servers to be available at Headstart so people with collectors and special editions were forced onto a tiny server selection then naturally our friends come along at full launch and want to play together.

For us, cloning is the only thing that makes it worth considering moving. We did a server migration in WoW and it was very troublesome for a variety of reasons, an experience we don't really wish to repeat. We've coordinated with too many people for a piecemeal move to be even remotely attractive.

Should GOA offer cloned servers, we'll look very closely at what's on offer. Patience is wearing thin in many quarters regarding the queues. Under the queing situation, even 1 CTD becomes angry-making and we've got several players in our guild as well as allied guilds that have been suffering. I personally have had a relatively smooth time once I make it through the long queue. Once on, I daren't switch chars to an alt though as its back to queing, which is irksome.

Realistically GOA have at most another week to have a working solution in place before people really start firing forum-based rockets at them.

A factor (size of factor down to an individual's perception of course) in this is also Blizzard's likely release of the pre-WotLK patch in the coming week or so which will add a lot of interesting stuff for peoples' WoW toons as well as some new content, which will mean a lot of people will be going back there to try out the new stuff. New content in WoW as well as painful experiences getting into WAR could move some people sooner, rather than later, back to WoW.

Queues on our server are into the 500s tonight with people waiting up to 40 minutes or so to play. Trite comments along the line of "Find another server" just don't wash. There is *nobody* that willingly gives up their invested time on a character and certainly not if a large-ish group of people have spent a lot of time arranging guilds and alliances in advance.

i understand all too well that it isn`t as simple as just `reroll`.

my alliance from daoc went through a lot of thought on what server we were gone take and we implicitely took a server that didn`t appear like it was gone be overcrowded from day one.

simply, no server could ever house everyone who ever played on excall and prydwin combined over the 6+ years of their existance.

we stayed well clear of the server that the largest population of FH seemed to fancy.

i hope mythic/goa comes up FAST with a char/guild/alliance transfer for those people on the badly overcrowded servers. as it seems that the cloning of servers america didn`t yield results. it seems that everyone expect the `other` people to move and want to stay themselves, which is a stalemate.

it`s a situation that sucks, yes.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Aye Muylaetrix, we went out of our way to try and avoid the most populace places.

Still, I think the server cloning idea is very clever. It made me wonder if Mythic & GOAs datacenters are based around virtualised servers, which would make something like this very easy (on VMWare you can make a copy of a server by copying maybe 4 files from one physical location to another then its just a matter of editing the guest OS and whatever is sitting on there that needs customising).

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
Aye Muylaetrix, we went out of our way to try and avoid the most populace places.

Still, I think the server cloning idea is very clever. It made me wonder if Mythic & GOAs datacenters are based around virtualised servers, which would make something like this very easy (on VMWare you can make a copy of a server by copying maybe 4 files from one physical location to another then its just a matter of editing the guest OS and whatever is sitting on there that needs customising).

the little experience i have with vmware is when we made loads of virtual pc`s on pc`s to simulate a much bigger network than the amount of pc`s we had available. i don`t have a clue if vmware is suited for things like where you have multiple computers forming 1 server which is probably the case with the war servers.

even with the server cloning in the US, noone wants to make the move it seems.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Although the server cloning seemed like a good idea, unless enough people move over it just won't work. Players have all their effort/achievements on their character, asking them to move to another server with so few players just isn't going to work. Stubborn players would rather stick with a queue and moan.

They'd be better off offering free transfers for guilds/characters to any other server (as long as it isn't too highly populated) and hope enough players take up the offer in the long run. Maybe offer character bonuses to try and tempt people into moving.

The important thing is to try and convince people to take up the offer. If a mass email was sent out to all unguilded people along the lines of "Fed up of the queues? Why not transfer to another server?!" then it might ease things a bit. Unguilded players might be more likely to take up the offer if they aren't playing with anyone else on the server. It's hard to move guilds, but the lone players might be easier to convince.

Darac

Fledgling Freddie
this queue shit is a joke.

Just spent 50 mins queuing to get on a serverm finally get in and then someone sends me an MSN message which causes the game to minimise.. when I maximise i'm met with the black screen and nothing else.

Close the game, log back in and yay another 50 mins wait......

They need to design some sort of timeout for accounts that do not log out properly, if an account disconnects they should be able to reconnect within 5 mins and bypass all this queue crap.

Didn't read the whole post so if someone else told you how to fix this then ignore mine :)

Basically I was getting this problem until I turned off the "Full Screen" option. It puts War in window mode but you don't see an actual window. It still appears as if its full screen but the "Black" screen bug is gone forever! So you can safely Alt Tab in and out.

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
I want to transfer my Marauder to Karak Hirn Order as there's no queues :(

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie
Would love to get some official statement on how the population caps are looking on the GOA hosted servers.

900 people on Karak Eight Peaks combined queue is way too much imo so would like to know what's the current population cap.

Fuddle

Fledgling Freddie
Whole point of putting a cap on the server is too even the load across all the servers at this early (release) period, so waiting for them to raise the cap when other English core servers have a low pop will not happen. Eventually the que's will go down but this will be because people would have rerolled elsewhere.

Not alot else to say that's pretty much it in a nut shell like it or not.

Que or Reroll your time your wasting :)

scorge

Fledgling Freddie

Yep there are virtualised, mark jacobs stated that it takes about 30 mins to create a new server, they only way to do this is VM or Hyper V.

:m00:

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
the little experience i have with vmware is when we made loads of virtual pc`s on pc`s to simulate a much bigger network than the amount of pc`s we had available. i don`t have a clue if vmware is suited for things like where you have multiple computers forming 1 server which is probably the case with the war servers.

even with the server cloning in the US, noone wants to make the move it seems.

it it uses vmotion to move vm's around for load balanceing servers, this can be done on blades or across a whole vm cluster.

It works very well, the company i work for is providing hosting for some of EA's gaming platforms.

:m00:

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Server cloning only really makes sense if there are near double the amount of people trying to play, as we have it there are only around an extra 300 people trying to log onto the server. Splitting 8p into 2 servers would just make either 2 very low population servers, or 8p would stay as it is and no one would move (as happened on US).

Cloning isn't really nessisary, free char transfer to an existing server would make more sense, seeing as there are plenty of servers that are empty. The US players are now faced with the problem of 10 or so overpopulated servers and 30 empty (low/low) servers that can't even manage to get 10 people together for a scenario :p

Fact is if people were going to move, and hated the queues so much they would have done it already.. It only takes a few hours to get from 1-10 which is actually time gained since you spend more time than that queueing anyway. The real problem here is that is is nearly impossible to organise entire guilds to move (especially at the 1 day notice Mythic gave)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom