GW2 vs SWTOR

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
This isn't about GW2 vs SWTOR, it's about why people pit GW2 against SWTOR.

mmorpg.com said:
The War of Guilds and Stars - Bill Murphy at MMORPG.com

Loving our games passionately is a hallmark of MMO players. But the rhetoric aimed at games that haven't made our "personal A List" seems to have ratcheted up lately when it comes to Guild Was 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. In today's column, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Bill Murphy looks at the chasm that divides players into Guilds & Stars and wonders how it happened. Keep reading! Lend us your thoughts in the comments.Column By William Murphy on September 08, 2011

For some reason or another, people seem to be pitting Guild Wars 2 against Star Wars: The Old Republic in an epic battle for the ages. As if one game must defeat the other and a champion must be crowned before anyone can get on with their lives and enjoy the games. But, I'm just not getting why one person has to love one or the other and damn the competition in the process. Why is it that we must pit one game against the next? They both represent two different types of gaming, and they're not even really competing against one another considering the divergent revenue models, so why is it "One or the other or none at all"?

There's a tendency we have to pick our "one game", even if that oneness doesn't last very long and shun all others as if the survival of our game depended on it. I just don't get that these days. In an industry where divergent revenue streams are happening with every new release and the pool of players expands at a steady rate, I'm not sure we need to have the whole "My game must feed on the soul of your game to survive" mentality.

MMORPGs as a hobby aren't anything close to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver though that would be awesome.

It's the battle of the fan-boys, when we get down to it. For some reason or another, those stalwart fans of BioWare and Star Wars have met their match in the frenzied and rabid crowd that worships at the altar of ArenaNet and Guild Wars. But here's the thing they're going to be completely different games, with completely different goals, and there's absolutely no reason for anyone not to play them both short of personal taste.

The Case for Guild Wars 2

ArenaNet's first opus was a genre-redefining CORPG that took the MMO world by storm. Sure it wasn't a true MMO, but it shared enough in common with the genre that millions of its players bought in and loved every second of the series that spanned several titles. Heck, I'd be willing to bet there are hundreds of thousands of Guild Wars players that haven't really touched another MMO besides GW. The sequel has the potential to bring those players even further into the love of the MMORPG genre, because Guild Wars 2 is actually an MMORPG this time. And it's free (after that first $50 anyway).

With absolutely gorgeous artwork, unique classes and combat, distinct races with their own starting areas and capital cities, thousands of dynamic events that involve more than just "Kill X Rats"... where do I stop? It's doing a lot of new and unique things, and more than most Star Wars fans would care to admit. And while I'm not about to say it'll actually meet that level of anticipation its carrying, there's every reason to believe that Guild Wars 2 will be great addition to the stable of games available to us all.

The Case for Star Wars: The Old Republic

It's BioWare people. Regardless of anything else, this game is going to have one of the greatest stories ever told in an MMORPG. It's Star Wars too, something the folks at BW know a little bit about. It's taking that tried and true universe, with its millions of fans, and injecting them directly into the canon of their favorite mythology. This isn't the prequels all over again. The Old Republic is actually going to be good. We've played it several times now, and each time the game gets shinier and shinier with the polish being applied.

SWTOR1_t.jpg

Touting the most in-depth and interactive story in MMO history, sixteen total classes (counting advanced), oodles of races to choose from, world PvP, dungeons galore, crafting, space combat, personal companions who enrich the story and fight alongside you there's a lot to this game. More than most Guild Wars fans would care to admit. And while I'm not about to say it'll actually meet that level of anticipation its carrying, there's every reason to believe that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be great addition to the stable of games available to us all.

Why do Guild Wars' fans pit it against Star Wars: The Old Republic? Why do Star Wars fans raise their pitchforks at Guild Wars 2? Those are both good questions. I expect it's because everyone knows these two games will be releasing within six months of each other (or at least we hope they will), and both have been immensely popular even years before their projected launch windows. It's a lot like sports, really: when your team (never the Browns) is riding high in the AFC, you have to knock that team from the NFC that's got the same record because there's a good chance you'll meet in the Super Bowl. The problem is there's no freakin' Super Bowl in MMORPGs. These two games can exist just fine alongside each other.

But now let's talk about The Secret World.

For me, I weigh them up against each other, I don't have a favourite yet, but I think they will both be very successful. Both companies are taking an intelligent "The Agony and The Ecstasy" approach, and both games look set to rejuvenate the genre with never-before-seen-in-MMO features. I look forward to both games, but in my humble opinion, and to address Bill's final remark, The Secret World looks like nothing but disappointment incarnate.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Word wrap fgs, i have to side scroll half a screen to read it all... :(

pez

Can't get enough of FH
'It's Bioware people.' Doesn't fill me with the same warm feeling it used to.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I hope they both do well. The MMO market needs a range of good games for people to chose from.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Maybe it's your setting?

Can't be, as that post is the only one of the ones you have done that look like that....

I think its all those pointless \/\/\/ you made at the bottom.

I can't use higher then 1680x1050 resolution, so maybe that's it.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Can't be, as that post is the only one of the ones you have done that look like that....

I think its all those pointless \/\/\/ you made at the bottom.

I can't use higher then 1680x1050 resolution, so maybe that's it.

Yes, that \/\/\/ stuff must be it, then.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
sorted it with my modcock of doooooooom!!!! :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I hope they both do well. The MMO market needs a range of good games for people to chose from.

Pretty much this.

I compare games on a few basis, but it all comes down to; which game do i want to invest time&money in.

ToR has more features that interest me, mainly 'cause it has tech and as such, i'm putting GW in the "will buy when has more moneys" category.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
sorted it with my modcock of doooooooom!!!! :)

GJ

I compare games on a few basis, but it all comes down to; which game do i want to invest time&money in.

ToR has more features that interest me, mainly 'cause it has tech and as such, i'm putting GW in the "will buy when has more moneys" category.

This is a little odd because GW is appears to be a considerably cheaper game, in that it's a one-time payment then expansions and a cash-shop rather than a subscription.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
And GW didn't (and still doesn't) have what is considered a "traditional" cash shop either.

Some of the stuff in there are nice to have but you can do just as well without it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
This is a little odd because GW is appears to be a considerably cheaper game, in that it's a one-time payment then expansions and a cash-shop rather than a subscription.

Not at all. GW just doesn't have enough that interests me to merit hundreds(if not thousands) of hours of gameplay. If it was based on playing cost alone, GW would ofcourse beat ToR because it has no monthly cost.

As such, ToR has more merits to validate the cost of the game as well, where GW would only merit itself on being cheaper the longer you play.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Not at all. GW just doesn't have enough that interests me to merit hundreds(if not thousands) of hours of gameplay.

If you're talking about Guild Wars, then maybe you've experienced enough to make that judgment, but regarding Guild Wars 2, I don't think any of us have seen enough form a reasonable opinion, yet. I don't begrudge you for making a choice so early, and I may well end up sharing it. I just think it seems a little rash.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If you're talking about Guild Wars, then maybe you've experienced enough to make that judgment, but regarding Guild Wars 2, I don't think any of us have seen enough form a reasonable opinion, yet. I don't begrudge you for making a choice so early, and I may well end up sharing it. I just think it seems a little rash.

Talking of GW2 and there's as much info as i have on ToR, that's the basis and it may be wrong ofcourse and i might be disappointed by ToR completely, but as it stands, the info given is more impressive on the ToR side. That's ofcourse, given, personal taste on things.

When you've experienced so many MMOs along the years, reasonable opinion can come from a lot less then hours of actual gameplay experience.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Talking of GW2 and there's as much info as i have on ToR, that's the basis and it may be wrong ofcourse and i might be disappointed by ToR completely, but as it stands, the info given is more impressive on the ToR side. That's ofcourse, given, personal taste on things.

When you've experienced so many MMOs along the years, reasonable opinion can come from a lot less then hours of actual gameplay experience.

I think TOR has provided more elements of fluff and things that can make an RPG fun. But GW2 has provided more on the pvp element, a lot of players are counting on GW2 to be aimed at group v group combat, kinda like daoc with rose tinted glasses :p

I hope they both work, but only time will tell. I will no doubt buy both.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Quite and i'm in no way saying GW2 is crap, just that ToR has a tighter hold of my cockles regarding immediate spending. GW2, like said, is on the waiting list.

I'm also not that much of a PVP player in MMOs, so ToR most likely will be more aimed towards my style. There is also the fantasy vs tech in taste, which ToR takes in my books(as mentioned before).

It's pretty simple though, in a nutshell of shorts; ToR looks more to my liking.

They aren't comparable, but you can ask a man which kind of candy he likes and he can answer without it miplying other candies are sh*t-

Soazak

Part of the furniture
GW2 looks awesome as far as pvp goes....

...but TOR has lightsabres!

All kidding aside, both look great games, I think TOR has more fluff though, which seems to capture more players nowadays (including me :kissit:)

Xrystofer

Resident Freddy
I've been following Guild wars 2 for a while , watching demo and interviews at youtube.
I have to say that the game looks very promising with some new fresh ideas that will shake the MMO industry,DE,no Holy Trinity,personal story and stunning visuals and huge variety of Character customization.
Plus no Subscription fee and only Cash shop with cosmetic things ,which you aren't really forced to buy (like extra character slots etc.)
I am not saying this game is going to rock or anything (but i really believe it's going to thought :p ) but you would be stupid not to give it a try:flame:

well about SWTOR... i have nothing to say because i don't like sci-fi settings ,it's only a matter of personal taste thought.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Guild Wars isn't a MMOG

/thread

QFT

By all accounts the game belongs on a console not that is a bad thing but it isn't a MMO.

When i think of Guild Wars i think of Phantasy Star Online.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Unless you have a fair amount of gametime with both of these games, i don't think you're in a position to tell... :)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Unless you have a fair amount of gametime with both of these games, i don't think you're in a position to tell... :)

You're right. If I didn't I couldn't.

Sucks to be other people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom