GuildWars?

A

Aoln

Since it's released at the end of this month (also final beta weekend this friday) i was wondering if anyone else was planning on moving to guildwars to try it out and how this may affect DAoC?

Eva

Can't get enough of FH
I might, got it already so might aswell. Enjoyed beta too.

Havn't played gw beta weekend yet, but if you fancy playing some again Aoln just pm me on irc. :p

Oh, and this should be inc off-topic, I think.

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
ooh guildwars :eek: forgot about that
might be fun to try

Umpaidh

Fledgling Freddie
As guildwars has no monthly subs i am thinkin of playing Daoc and this on the side.
Looks like a game you can just jump in and have some fun with.

Dwali

Can't get enough of FH
i´m just waiting for finnal beta...so i´m gonna test it to,...have game paid and pre orderd...look pretty good in gfx cmpard to daoc in some places...hope it will be a good game

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Looks like a new era diablo, being free and all. So, why not waste my social life in pursuit of the trinket of ultimate power +5 :p

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Already preordered since i played open beta event, will use it as a side game altho cause i still enjoy WoW ^^

Mikah75

Can't get enough of FH

guild wars was uber im definetely getting it. Play DAOC too ofc though:)

A

Aoln

Eva said:
Oh, and this should be inc off-topic, I think.
Was thousands of wow topics in this forum, don't see why guildwars should be any different ;)

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
oh sweet theres no monthly fees etc ?. I did like the bit with the arenas I might have to test it out.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
It should definetly appeal to the 8vs8 crowd, since controlled group vs group in instances is pretty much what the game is about. I tried it in those open alpha test days they had during E3 or some such, and liked it. Might get it since theres no fee to play, although wow pvp honor patch is out soon and will require extensive playing so dunno :)

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
play.com doing it for 17.99 which with no monthly subs seems worth a look :)

Zebolt

Can't get enough of FH
So I was the only one who thought the beta was utter crap? :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Zebolt said:

Not the only one but you are in the minority ;) Will be grabbing a copy of GuildWars myself, it is the kind of game you can play casually and no monthly subscriptions helps alot too.

A

Aoln

Got spare beta cd pass for this weekend assuming any friends doesnt want it ;d

DavidH

Part of the furniture
Zebolt said:
I'd say you are on of the very few, yes. Pretty much everyone I know who tested it, as early as the E3 beta, enjoyed it :)

More ontopic; I've already pre-ordered it myself, will be alot of fun to see what its like in retail. The fact that it doesn't cost anything to play, is definitely something that will encourage more people to try it out.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ofc, the "no monthly fee" issue means that the game *will* be full of minors :(

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
WoW is like that, though it has a monthly subs ;)

The 'PR talk' for GW makes it sound very tempting. But game publishers are like politicians, they promise 101 things and deliver 10. GW will allegedly do away with the XP grind and keep loot farming to a minimum. Everyone plays on the same server cluster, which is a huge bonus! From a social and PvP perspective. There won't be any trash talking on which server has the best guild >> Go to the arena and fight it out :p

From the beta I got the impression it'll be good for 'quick session' gaming. Though I'm dubious about the long term prospects. There's alot of innovation here and it deserves a chance... just two weeks left for release :cool:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
People need to think of it like this, for £17.99 you get an action orientated MMORPG that doesn't cost you a penny to play after you buy the box. You get a game that isn't as grind heavy as many traditional MMORPG's and it doesn't punish casual players because skill matters more than items in the arenas. For the price it is well worth buying just to try it out, you get a full game for what you would usually pay for an expansion pack.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Ive heard that it isnt really going to be totally free to play, or well, it will be free to play the basic game, but they will release small expansions in downloadable form, that you will have to pay for if you want to use. Still, this is not a bad thing, and will provide the company with incentive to produce new content.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Fana said:
Ive heard that it isnt really going to be totally free to play, or well, it will be free to play the basic game, but they will release small expansions in downloadable form, that you will have to pay for if you want to use. Still, this is not a bad thing, and will provide the company with incentive to produce new content.

Yep, it seems that there will be free small content patches and then every 6 months there will be an expansion pack which I would imagine will retail for £15 or so. Personally I really like this payment method, it means I don't get tied into a game for months at a time but it remains to be seen if this is a viable buisness model for them. The good thing is that you do not need the expansion packs to keep playing, yes you will miss out on new zones and arenas but all the core stuff will still be accessable so you aren't forced to upgrade as such. Of course those heavily into the game will upgrade but I am sure that many casual players will be happy plodding through the basic content, everyone wins.

boppas

Fledgling Freddie
hmm, will probably try it :)

What i cant understand is why there are no subs (not complaining ofc!) but surely its gunna cost them for staff/server costs, maintenance etc...where will they get the funds from ...or will GW be a 5 miniute wonder!?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
boppas said:
hmm, will probably try it :)

What i cant understand is why there are no subs (not complaining ofc!) but surely its gunna cost them for staff/server costs, maintenance etc...where will they get the funds from ...or will GW be a 5 miniute wonder!?

They get cash flow from the retail sales of the game and it's expansions, now that might not seem like alot but if they get over 200,000 people playing and buying expansions then it might just work. I guess they will give it a year to see if it pays off.

Jebelious

Fledgling Freddie
pre ordered my copy of guild wars and recieved my 2 beta keys today :), i played on the previous beta weekend and i must say the game is great. cant wait to play in a bit more detail this weekend, definatley a good change from daoc which i will also still play :p

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
The different way of charging - with no monthly fee - will bring in a lot of people who might otherwise 'stick with DAoC', 'stick with WoW' etc. People will buy it to try without feeling that they are 'deserting' their current mmorg. Some of course will subsequently give up and stick with it.

It's also been running open beta weekends for some time now which is always a good sign. You can go and read the reviews and feel confident that this isn't a disaster right out of the box that was sold on hype. You may still decide its not right for you but it at least has a good chance.

Will the different way of charging work. I think so. The closest comparison is probably Runescape which is free to play for the basic game and 5 dollars a month for extra content. Not as polished as Guildwars; notthe same business model either as you can play it for free (which helps guarantee you always have people on). 250k paid subscriptions to date and steadily growing suggests it is gathering momentum.

Will be interesting to see how EQ/DAoC react being the major games these days operating a monthly fee + expansion pack charge. Guildwars - one of fee; Runescape - free or very low charge for all extra content as released; WoW/CoH/Lineage - monthly fee which includes the expansions (so far anyway in WoW but can't see them changing).

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
gervaise said:
WoW/CoH/Lineage - monthly fee which includes the expansions (so far anyway in WoW but can't see them changing).

I believe WoW will likely have retail expansions as well for major updates such as the Dark Portal and Northrend etc, while keeping to patches for smaller stuff such as battlegrounds and heroclasses (which were originaly promised for release anyway). CoH is out soon with City of Villains i belive, which is retail isnt it? :)
Nevertheless, the old mmorpg companies are sure to feel the sting when someone offers similar services almost free of charge - ofc it remains to be seen if Guildwars will manage acceptable customer support and if the servers will be working most of the time etc ^^

Mirari

Fledgling Freddie
Haven't really tried it, saw some vidds etc, was ok but nothing that made me go "woot! nice!"

Might just try it tho for a change, saw a dragon and any game with dragons must be worth trying :worthy:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Aoln said:
Was thousands of wow topics in this forum, don't see why guildwars should be any different ;)

yes there was. until the mods made a sticky about it to piss of elsewhere with those posts :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Fana said:
I believe WoW will likely have retail expansions as well for major updates such as the Dark Portal and Northrend etc, while keeping to patches for smaller stuff such as battlegrounds and heroclasses (which were originaly promised for release anyway).

yeah. i doubt blizzard wont try and suck out as mush cash as they possibly can concidered the massive sales they did on the game itself, they will most likly have retail expansions

Fana said:
CoH is out soon with City of Villains i belive, which is retail isnt it? :)
Nevertheless, the old mmorpg companies are sure to feel the sting when someone offers similar services almost free of charge - ofc it remains to be seen if Guildwars will manage acceptable customer support and if the servers will be working most of the time etc ^^

yes CoV is a expansion.

and thats the only problem i see with GW. is that with no real income from the game apart from the initial box sale, the costumer support and possibly servers wont be all that great. allthough the server stability in the beta weekends were pretty good there really werent THAT many playing it so the system load wasent very high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom