GuildWars?

Maoni

Fledgling Freddie
I play Guildwars but havent moved to it tho...just playing it now and then =)

got a necro/ranger called Necrosarus Rex

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Escape said:
That's one of the best things about the PvP, it adds alot more strategy this way. Else you'd end up with certain classes having too much utility, like in DAoC(i.e. Cleric Vs Druid Vs Healer).

A Ranger/Mesmer with all of his skills would be a serious interrupt machine!
But limited to 8 skills, he's no more overpowered than any other build ;)
good point :p
went necro/mesmer myself :)

ranger is a evil class with those dots >_<

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
A little question about Guildwars, I saw in the movie that there were like 4vs4 fight but do you just run around with a 4 man group (think that's the highest amount of people per group in GW right?) and find other people to fight (like Camlann) or do you need somesort of "team" of the same people and then "/duel" 4 other people to a fight?
Read some about GW though this ain't clear to me yet.

Gamah

Banned
Andrilyn said:
A little question about Guildwars, I saw in the movie that there were like 4vs4 fight but do you just run around with a 4 man group (think that's the highest amount of people per group in GW right?) and find other people to fight (like Camlann) or do you need somesort of "team" of the same people and then "/duel" 4 other people to a fight?

Highest ammount is 8 in a group (ammount you can group goes up when you level)

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Chronictank said:
good point :p
went necro/mesmer myself :)

ranger is a evil class with those dots >_<

What ingame name do you have mate? I play as Cilghal Allstar.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Andrilyn said:

Generally there're 4 types of PvP fights:

#1 - 4v4 random groups. This is the lowest level of combat(like Thidranki!). It's what you see in the movie I posted earlier. You enter the Arena and are randomly put into a group with 3 others. Then you fight another random group.

#2 - 4v4 team groups. With this you can build a group and then enter the Arena to fight other pre-built groups.

#3 - 8v8v8v8v8. This is the main event and the fights are at an international level(You will fight groups from EU, Korea and US). The groups start in different parts of the arena, you just need to find the others and kill them! There're other factors too, such as protecting your NPC, controlling Obelisks, capturing runes etc... depending on the map you play on.

#4 - Guild Vs Guild. Once your guild has a 'Guild Hall', you can challenge other guilds to a fight! This is how you gain points to climb the ranking ladder!

The best thing about the PvP is you don't need to wait around. Once you've started, it'll take a few seconds for the server to find you another group to fight!

+ You do not PvP in open areas, everything happens in a instance.
Once you or the opposing team wins, you move on to the next instance.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Seems to be a booming market compared to WoW to sell your gold and items for IRL cash, guess that comes with the territory when the game is free to play.

nick

Fledgling Freddie
I've been dabbling in it a bit with some PVP characters and like the idea a lot. Wouldn't mind playing it but I don't really know anyone else who likes it. Any groups out there looking to start from scratch and level up together? Thinking of going for Mo/E for PVE and then Mo/Me for PVP.

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
Recently got the game, and looking for people to play with as well.

Seems like a good game so far. :)

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
the AI was unbelievable they actually assist, rez, heal and all the usual tricks you would expect from a player.

You will learn to hate Alesia ;) its just a matter of time to she goes suicidal instead of heal.

Chronictank said:
There is collision detection so you cant run through people to fumble spells you actually have to walk around. There is no /assist so people actually have to aim.

part 1 is right and is used alot in PvP to shield off peeps, part 2 is wrong though. You can "call" targets (MA in Daoc language) giving the rest of youre group the possibility to /assist with a key or with a click in minigroup window.

Chronictank said:
Things i didnt like, the quickbar cant be changed when you are in an arena or outside a city so what you set is what you got.

This is both good and bad imo :) Bad in a random arena when it shows other members in team picked "strange" spells ;) Good in a premade team where tactic and hotbars is a big part of winning or loosing.

Have not gotten into the 8vs8 yet, we bit to small of guild atm and not all have runes + elites and is lvl20. But game itself is still fun.

We not openly looking for peeps but our old Daoc gang is a bit to small to compete atm and fun peeps allways welcome :)

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
i needs a leet guild :/, playing war/ele a bit, is a fun - and pretty, game

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Jeff Thunderpants is in the game. Me that is.

Loving it, best thing i've played. No competition.

Graphics 10

Playstyle(instances, 8 only skills etc) 9.

Well you get the point, i love it, contact me ingame :p

EDIT: For those Jeff And Tonder fans out there, Jeff isn't a healer.Sorry :D

Mesmeranger.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Alesia is alot better than many random monks I've grouped with :p
Make the most of her now, later on she's replaced by Mhenlo :x

Use shift+ctrl+space to call targets, so everyone else can assist you. A little more annoying than the DAoC method!

I guess alot of the EU DAoC guilds are still suffering from WoW fever, or getting ready for clustering to bother with GW. And now the US/Korean guilds are dominating, with EU barely making a mark :p

In GW, you need to be in a good guild with 8 decent players to compete. Which isn't so important in DAoC, where you can use alliances to form groups, but there's no alliance in GW.

nick said:
Thinking of going for Mo/E for PVE and then Mo/Me for PVP.

When you respec your secondary class, you start without any skills for that profession. It'll take a lot of work to build up your skill list, unless you know the ones you want can be purchased from trainers!

tbh the secondary class isn't an issue during PvE, it's just as easy to level up with a Mo/Me ;)

Nedo

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
Alesia is alot better than many random monks I've grouped with :p
Make the most of her now, later on she's replaced by Mhenlo :x

Omg poor you :/ I guess im happy to have good monks in guild for my paper armor char hehe.

Mhenlo rawks compared to Alesia ;)

Something must be done about the
"£$€"#¤%&"#¤"&%#¤ team has won a battle in the Hall of Heroes"

To much "kekekekekekekeke ITAMZ!!" guilds winning atm :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Getting really bored of DAOC now and am seriously considering giving GW a go. With no monthly fees, and if like me you're a really casual gamer, it sounds like you get a really neat game that doesn't require you to have to take too seriously in order to compete with everyone else.

I agree with the person who said that its nice you don't have to rely on Loki to configure a template, and that it will be refreshing not to have to farm a spot for 2 months in order to get one scroll of some arti that everyone else has got 4 of for a stoopid amount of plats.

WOW doesn't interest me at all. Played it. Hate the cartoon graphics.

This is a good thread. Can anyone post some GW combat screen shots ?

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone got a nice guild to join? The game is good but man the community is really spread out, so many 1/2 man guilds. Still playing DAOC aswell so im not hardcore into it atm so after a more casual up for a laugh guild. Im a monk called Los Alamos. Im in a guild but the GM is constantly spamming shite gear for sale... does anyone really wanna buy a 6-10 damage weapon...

Afran

Part of the furniture
After coming back from 6-week holiday in Australia, I tried Guild Wars for about one week and it's simply too easy, loved the E3 & beta but it seems to bore me now. It's real easy to obtain high-end gear, both weapons and armor, and it doesn't take long for you to complete the storyline.

With the right rune (gives you +x skill to a certain spec) you can be using the highest damage weapon at around level 4. GW is simply too short, granted I did play it a lot in that week, other mmorpg's take a lot longer to complete, level 20 is the max level, which I got to in about 4 days. Found the game great fun when I started playing, and through until I had completed it, but after getting 20, the next day I played I didn't know what to do.

PvP is probably the highlight to GW, it's pretty much 100% balanced, no zergs for a start :) To have the choice between 4v4, 6v6 or 8v8, or GuildVGuild is good, played a lot of the 4v4 PvP, wanted to try the GuildVGuild some more, but my guild sucks xD

They did say they will have expansions though, every 6 months or so.. Don't know what they will be like but as it's free I'll be trying the game some more when an expansion is released.

Will still be playing GW now and then but it's still WoW for me. :p

Just my two cents

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
guildwars business model is based on expansions providing more and more content instead of paying for your subscription you buy the expansions. Much like a normal game but with guildwars the expansions will be much more regular. Also i think the expansions wont be INtroducing overpowered ubah stuff instead it will just expand the content of the main game i might try it out but im not sure if it would be my cup of tea.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Awarkle said:
guildwars business model is based on expansions providing more and more content instead of paying for your subscription you buy the expansions. Much like a normal game but with guildwars the expansions will be much more regular. Also i think the expansions wont be INtroducing overpowered ubah stuff instead it will just expand the content of the main game i might try it out but im not sure if it would be my cup of tea.
Yeah, it's like play it 1 week every 6 months (every time they release an expansion). :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Afran said:
After coming back from 6-week holiday in Australia, I tried Guild Wars for about one week and it's simply too easy, loved the E3 & beta but it seems to bore me now. It's real easy to obtain high-end gear, both weapons and armor, and it doesn't take long for you to complete the storyline.

With the right rune (gives you +x skill to a certain spec) you can be using the highest damage weapon at around level 4. GW is simply too short, granted I did play it a lot in that week, other mmorpg's take a lot longer to complete, level 20 is the max level, which I got to in about 4 days. Found the game great fun when I started playing, and through until I had completed it, but after getting 20, the next day I played I didn't know what to do.

PvP is probably the highlight to GW, it's pretty much 100% balanced, no zergs for a start :) To have the choice between 4v4, 6v6 or 8v8, or GuildVGuild is good, played a lot of the 4v4 PvP, wanted to try the GuildVGuild some more, but my guild sucks xD

They did say they will have expansions though, every 6 months or so.. Don't know what they will be like but as it's free I'll be trying the game some more when an expansion is released.

Will still be playing GW now and then but it's still WoW for me. :p

Just my two cents
it was never intended to have content based on PVE, hence the name :p
The focus was strictly on PVE altho they do say they will be adding PVE content in later expansions

Afran

Part of the furniture
Chronictank said:
it was never intended to have content based on PVE, hence the name :p
The focus was strictly on PVE altho they do say they will be adding PVE content in later expansions
Nice contradiction there :p

Yeah I know that but for decent full-time pvp fun you need a decent guild, which from what I've seen there isn't any (yet). Also they need to give something more rewarding then a few useless skill points for PvP victories, which you can earn in PvE anyway.. Having 30+ points spare it's not really useful :x

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Afran how did you farm 75,000gold ( 15k per piece ) for the best armour in the game in 4 days?

Afran

Part of the furniture
Ballard said:
Afran how did you farm 75,000gold ( 15k per piece ) for the best armour in the game in 4 days?
Where did I say I had the best armor? I said it's easy to get high-end armor, not the best. 75k isn't much anyway, I had 35k or so in that time just soloing hydras around Augury Rock and selling the claws.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Afran said:
Yeah I know that but for decent full-time pvp fun you need a decent guild, which from what I've seen there isn't any (yet). Also they need to give something more rewarding then a few useless skill points for PvP victories, which you can earn in PvE anyway.. Having 30+ points spare it's not really useful :x

Most of the decent guilds formed during the beta. It's difficult to find a good one now, unless you already know people playing. There isn't much of a community either, due to the shear number of people playing it's like joining a random Counter Strike server every time you login :p

This should improve now that the Euro-districts are split by language!

How far did you get in a week? post-Ascension, Southern Shiverpeaks... Fire Island?
It's impossible to get that far in random groups imo.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Escape said:
Most of the decent guilds formed during the beta. It's difficult to find a good one now, unless you already know people playing. There isn't much of a community either, due to the shear number of people playing it's like joining a random Counter Strike server every time you login :p

This should improve now that the Euro-districts are split by language!

How far did you get in a week? post-Ascension, Southern Shiverpeaks... Fire Island?
Didn't complete the entire storyline as I got bored. I got as far as completing the Dunes/Thirsty River/Reach & the mirror. They were the last things I did before I quit ;>

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Escape said:

I got to fire island in under a week in random groups, even have a nice set of elite skills.
It's not like it's really hard, and I got groups really fast being a Mo/E.
To complete every single quest and bonus mission you do need like 5 years though.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Afran said:
Where did I say I had the best armor? I said it's easy to get high-end armor, not the best. 75k isn't much anyway, I had 35k or so in that time just soloing hydras around Augury Rock and selling the claws.
i know i know i know, but not gonna say cos don't want area to be nerfed, an can get 100k+ in half a day mate, sell the runes :drink:

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Escape said:
completed game in like tht solo+henchmen an PuG's( pick up grps)

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The quality of groups has improved a bit now, with the districts split by language and alot of people are playing alts.

About 90% of the groups I joined post ascension had lots of french people! And someone dropping out every mission, the worst are those who leave after getting their Elites. I resorted to playing at 23:00CET when the groups tend to be better!

GWEurope Forums appear to be broken atm. Need more EU sites, to fix some decent tournament groups!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom