Games Guild Wars 2

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
For me GW2 just got on the backburner due to more entertaining games and etting back in is so time consuming that it's a chore to even try and patch it.

Although, all MMOs tend to do this to me. Have to see when the "next gen" comes out.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Maybe I'm just 'past' this MMORPG lark.

I don't think MMORPG are a terribly good concept. They had a golden age when broadband became common but now they seem to settling into the familiar pattern of lots of players for the first few months and then it drops. Hopefully game developers will get past this MMORPG lark too.

What makes people play RPGs is a good story that you can take your characters through. Taking time to explore etc adds to the enjoyment.
MMOs are about a race to the bottom. Best spec, best weapons, best setup etc. Combining them just doesn't work well.

I still play RPGs but they are always the offline varieties (dragon age etc). I play MMOs too but these are the types that can be easily dipped in and out.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
But the social element is what makes most MMO's good or bad. interacting with on-line gamer friends to achieve results is pretty cool game play.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
But the social element is what makes most MMO's good or bad. interacting with on-line gamer friends to achieve results is pretty cool game play.

So they can just add coop to dragon age and get the same result.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
So they can just add coop to dragon age and get the same result.

2-4 doesn't quite match up to a guild of 50 in a game population of 2000. Also combat against an npc is predictable and becomes easy after you know each mob type and rotations etc. PvP against real players is always more interesting and challenging. I enjoy PvE just not as much :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah social elements help you last longer, but no matter how many friends you get to do it, shoveling dogpoop is still a sh*tty job :p

Cadelin

Resident Freddy

I agree. But I don't agree that an RPG format is the best way to achieve this. Lets take an example of a good RPG, say Knights of the Old Republic. A great story and the difficulty will always be tailored to the right level, it allows you to invest time in your character and make them unique. How do you turn something like that into a game thousands of people can enjoy at the same time? You don't, you get dumb down quests that can be trivially easy or impossible depending on the classes you have available. Most people will end up with a handful of optimum builds so why waste development time giving all kinds of other options if noone will use them?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Most people will end up with a handful of optimum builds so why waste development time giving all kinds of other options if noone will use them?

Because they generally don't want optimal builds. Blizzard made that perfectly clear when they converted most cataclysm talents to spec specific skills or general purpose glyphs.

And the talents they did leave us with are all valid no matter if you solo, run 5mans or raid.

That said, i really wish that more devs would adopt that because i'm SICK of hearing "You're using the wrong build!" when the "correct" build doesn't work for my playstyle!

Poag

m00?
Thread Res.

Popped onto GH last night, saw no familiar faces :( Also the mumble server seems to have vanished, and my credentials for the forum no longer trusted.

Where is everyone playing nowdays?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Not been on in months mate, sorry.

Some random rambling... :D

Although I didn't shout about it at the time, the change to the scoring system signaled my time to leave. The focus was essentially officially shifting from 'realm' based fighting to guild-based epeens. I know there'd always been an element of that (it is after all 'guild' wars) but that was the writing on the wall for me. What ArenaNet were signaling was that they had no intention of making it what I felt was a 'proper' epic combat game suitable for their purported target market of casual players. Yes yes I know people scorn the word casual but those of us with work, families, etc can not be anything but 'casual' in any realistic way. I decided to quietly bow out rather than ranting and rage quitting.

Another factor was work. At the time my work schedule was playing merry havoc with any coordinated community play. It was painful trying to organize anything or join in anything on any kind of regular basis. I was usually shattered before even starting to play.

Fun while I was there in GW2, no desire to stay there. I do miss the GH community as there were/are so many great people. Note I refer to the people as great, not the 'players' - when handled correctly a motivated community of casual and average players that are coordinated and willing to work together will leave l33ts in the dust. We've proved that in the past before any epeen-focused l33ts start thrashing out a nerd-rage response.

Much love to the GH'ers, respect and fond memories for some very fun times together :)

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
I remember vehemently disagreeing with @eksdee posting about combat mechanics back in beta and when the game was just released.

Sadly he was right though - the game turned out to massively favor the zerg in WvW, at least as long as I played until about may. I got tired of zerging, hitting keep doors and NPC lords back in 2003, which seems to be the main thrust of GW2 WvW. The maps are also way, way, way too small. Sadly they have publicly said that the WvW maps are as big as the engine supports.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
At the time I stopped playing, mostly it was guilds looking for fights against other guilds with a smaller number of people trying to play the larger tactical game. We were a relatively low pop server (in terms of WvW population) and with the changes to the scoring system we got even fights about one week in four. I bowed out.

Don't know if its changed, not been back to look. Might drop by more to say hi to the peeps there than to actually play it.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
At the time I stopped playing, mostly it was guilds looking for fights against other guilds with a smaller number of people trying to play the larger tactical game. We were a relatively low pop server (in terms of WvW population) and with the changes to the scoring system we got even fights about one week in four. I bowed out.

Don't know if its changed, not been back to look. Might drop by more to say hi to the peeps there than to actually play it.
At the moment we're in the aftermath of a "WvW league" which emphasised the difference having night time coverage makes. Nobody really gave a toss and the rewards for winning were sufficiently "meh" for us to be happy to come second-from-bottom, having kicked a lot of backside during primetime :)

We usually get someone commanding on our borderland (if not on the enemy ones) each night, and there are good relationships between guilds and the pug group.

Also, we're on Teamspeak3 now instead of Mumble. Details are on the forum.

Staff Ele got a lot of buff-style attention (it's hard to say buffs outright) of late, so you may like to check that out, too.

eksdee

FH is my second home
I remember vehemently disagreeing with @eksdee posting about combat mechanics back in beta and when the game was just released.

Sadly he was right though - the game turned out to massively favor the zerg in WvW, at least as long as I played until about may. I got tired of zerging, hitting keep doors and NPC lords back in 2003, which seems to be the main thrust of GW2 WvW. The maps are also way, way, way too small. Sadly they have publicly said that the WvW maps are as big as the engine supports.

Funny the amount of people who even claimed I wasn't even in the Alpha. What would I have had to gain? Silly boys. I knew a post like this would turn up some day. :p

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
Poag you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons

:(
There is a special Gunnar's reason that's not on usual "reasons" pages - are you registered and acknowledged by someone with "the power" in your guild?

Dvaerg

Part of the furniture
Anyone still playing this :)? I've started some again cause im bored of daoc atm.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Log on very rarely for some SPvP but just not all that much in it to hold my attention for a long period.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
GW2 lacks meaty content. The WvW tournament was a good idea, but is flawed in many ways. Sadly, it seems the devs are in a kind of maintenance mode (except for the China launch, "Living World" bi-weekly mini-content and Cash Shop items).

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Yeah this game started out pretty good but it doesn't do anything for me anymore. The game desperately needs a properly big expansion. Especially one that caters to soloers, because once i've got to the "kill whatshisface dragon" i have no reason left to play the game.

Hell i could only be arsed to do that final mission on one of my 6 characters.

Syri

FH is my second home
https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/introducing-the-story-journal/

If I'm reading this right, it looks as though the story journal will let you re-do all of the past chapters of the living world quests, so it will let you catch up on any you've missed out on, or didn't complete in time before the next stage started. It looks an interesting concept. The only downside, if you didn't log in for a month, you have to pay gems to get that month's entry, but if you've got a ton of gold, at least you can convert some to gems and not have to pay cash for it.
I'm certainly going to give it a look, the main reason I couldn't get back into it when I tried it again last was because of the constant changes going on, so if I can go through them at my own pace, that'll be great.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
And the dick moves begin. :)

Well i guess it was inevitable that they had to start milking the players sooner or later. Not quite sure charging for previously free content is the way to go though.

Sure sure, can trade gold for gems and that's great in theory. It's just that for most normal players (you know, the ones this journal is aimed at) that won't be an option because they won't have enough gold to do it.

Unless it's going to be silly cheap, but then why bother "charging" for it?

JustNature

Fledgling Freddie
I don’t know who will see this or have known Killgorde. But he passed away suddenly earlier this year. I’m his daughter and I just wanted everyone to know.

Most of you won’t have known him but I’m sure someone out there came across him at some point. He was a great leader when he was active in the game, and to us in his family, a special dad, brother, son and husband.

Thanks all - I just wanted to share this sad news in case anyone out there may have crossed paths with him on GW2.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don’t know who will see this or have known Killgorde. But he passed away suddenly earlier this year. I’m his daughter and I just wanted everyone to know.

Most of you won’t have known him but I’m sure someone out there came across him at some point. He was a great leader when he was active in the game, and to us in his family, a special dad, brother, son and husband.

Thanks all - I just wanted to share this sad news in case anyone out there may have crossed paths with him on GW2.

Hi JustNature - I do remember Killgorde, though from way back so unsure whether he was a close ally or deadly enemy to me! Either way, though, I must say I am very sad indeed to hear this news. It is always terrible to lose a loved one so on behalf of all of us here at FH may he rest in peace. My sincere condolences to you and your closest.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I do not remember him personally but my condolences to your family for your loss. It's always sad to see a fellow gamer fall, even if I didn't know him personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom