Games Guild Wars 2

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Well, from what I have seen myself I'm eager to start playing. And will most likely keep on playing it for quite a long time! The WvWvW part is the closest you come to real open PvP with keep warfare after DAoC anyways.

So for now, just going to pre-order the collectors edition, and build up the guild until release =)

This ^^

Fact is, (probably due to WoW) open world PvP is a thing of the past, and PvP now is aimed towards battlegrounds with instant gratification as todays casual gamer doens't want anything that is too challenging, people want epic overpowered items they can show off. If I can get something close to RvR, I'm happy. Every game will have it's problems (lets face it, daoc had more than most games...), but GW2 is shaping up to be very impressive.

It seems to be the only serious game that's turning away from the typical PvE focused mentality that developers have now, who seem to add PvP onto the game at the end as some mini-game in the form of a battleground, and then give powerful items to grind toward and claim this is PvP progression.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Still think you shouldn't be hyping it up to fullfill your wildest DAOC dreams and reliving your glory days, chances are it won't come close.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Still think you shouldn't be hyping it up to fullfill your wildest DAOC dreams and reliving your glory days, chances are it won't come close.

I am not expecting it to be a copy of DAoC, and thats not what I want either. If it was a copy, I'd rather just stick to DAoC :p I'm expecting this game to have parts of what I considered fun from DAoC(Open world PvP) and also adding new things to the genre.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
New is important tbh, I can't remember the last game to add something new and revolutionary to this genre.. which is probably why people keep holding out for games similar to ones they've played previously :(

Soazak

Part of the furniture
The map is big for sure, but conversely there is very little open space. It feels so cramped with PvE objectives (keeps, towers, supply points, zone quests) that I don't see roaming PvP being much of an option in the main. If they removed say, 25% of all the objectives it would be amazing. It's a well designed zone, for sure, just a bit too much cramped into it as it stands.

Watching these two tour videos:
http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/crossing-the-border/
http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/su...n-the-eternal-battlegrounds-guild-wars-2-wvw/

The WvW zones have far more 'open space' than any other pvp game I've seen tbh, in the first one look at the cliff at 2:37 for example, or the huge fields at 11:45...these areas are more open than anything previous games have had to offer (e.g. Emain, Ilum, Wintergrasp etc). Also in these videos you can see just how long it takes him to get from one objective to another, and tbh the frontiers in daoc (old and new) are far more cluttered.

The Borderlands/Eternal Battleground zones actually remind me a lot of the non PvP zones in daoc (East Svealand etc) due to their scale and openness, I think to say there is 'little open space' is a bit inaccurate/misinformed - open space is one thing these maps have plenty of. My criticism of them is that all 3 borderlands are the same, and I would like to see different maps rotated every 2 weeks. But meh.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Watching these two tour videos:
http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/crossing-the-border/
http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/su...n-the-eternal-battlegrounds-guild-wars-2-wvw/

The WvW zones have far more 'open space' than any other pvp game I've seen tbh, in the first one look at the cliff at 2:37 for example, or the huge fields at 11:45...these areas are more open than anything previous games have had to offer (e.g. Emain, Ilum, Wintergrasp etc). Also in these videos you can see just how long it takes him to get from one objective to another, and tbh the frontiers in daoc (old and new) are far more cluttered.

The Borderlands/Eternal Battleground zones actually remind me a lot of the non PvP zones in daoc (East Svealand etc) due to their scale and openness, I think to say there is 'little open space' is a bit inaccurate/misinformed - open space is one thing these maps have plenty of. My criticism of them is that all 3 borderlands are the same, and I would like to see different maps rotated every 2 weeks. But meh.

Also by looked at the "faded" areas on the map, it seems like they will make it even bigger later on =)

eksdee

FH is my second home
All I can say is wait until you actually play it. I have, I think it's shit. Read into all the hype all you want.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I'm not talking about hype, fanbois, blind faith or what people have told me though, I'm talking about what you can see in a video :)

I personally don't mind hearing real criticism of a game, though I seem to see a lot (especially in SW:Tor) of people trying to convince others that they're wrong for liking it, which I find weird. I was just pointing out that some of the criticisms you brought up on this game might not be so accurate.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Have played many hours of WvW, videos can be deceiving. When it's full of players (and I've barely played with it 30% full) it will be horrendous.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Think I'll give this a miss till a month or so after release, not going to get all hyped up like I did for SWTOR only for boredom to set in after a few days.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I rather trust my own experience then someone else arguments to why they think a game is or is not boring.. :)

Besides, it's a one time purchase with no subs, so it's not like you'd feel forced to play all day every day to get your money's worth out of it..

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Yeah, just bought the collectors edition. Was expensive, but I don't care :D

Aada

Part of the furniture
Wow £48 for standard edition?

They really do want to milk the early adopters for all they are worth, £48 is obscene for a standard edition.

Think i'll wait for the release before i decide if i want to spend that much.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Wow £48 for standard edition?

They really do want to milk the early adopters for all they are worth, £48 is obscene for a standard edition.

Think i'll wait for the release before i decide if i want to spend that much.

Hehe, the collectors edition here in Norway costed me £130, so quite expensive.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
For an mmo without a monthly sub and this level of production value i can see why they charged so much :)
Purely from a buisiness POV ofc

Aada

Part of the furniture
For an mmo without a monthly sub and this level of production value i can see why they charged so much :)

Spot on, they want their investment back ASAP :p

I'll probably still get it on launch but for now the price tag puts me off.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
£39.99 on play.com so I ordered from there...no doubt gonna regret it as they have let me down in the past

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Going to give this a miss, looks amazing and I have no doubt it'll be amazing but NCSoft is a no go for me, company is worse than GOA used to be, almost every game they've hosted has got fucked one way or another.

Not only that but Diablo III is just around the corner and I'm willing to invest more time into D3 than any other game at present.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
poor excuse.

SWTOR is now £20 on most sites... I said it would be around the £20 mark in 6months in the SWTOR thread a few weeks before release, people said no it won't! and look..

Guild Wars2 will follow, I got brainwashed by the delights of boredom and purchased SWTOR for £40 on release and I won't be doing the same with GW2..

Still no release date as well it seems :s looks like July/August at the moment I think.... any later and they'd release it December time :)

Of course everything could change depending on how good Diablo 3 is :p

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
£39.99 on play.com so I ordered from there...no doubt gonna regret it as they have let me down in the past
try buying it from game :p

Play have a open market now so do a lot of the other uk retailers

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah it's actually £34.99 on GAME.. the cheapest I can find atm.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
poor excuse.

SWTOR is now £20 on most sites... I said it would be around the £20 mark in 6months in the SWTOR thread a few weeks before release, people said no it won't! and look..

It's a good excuse tbh, its not really much more than most games. And since there's no subs, I'd rather pay £40 for a game than £40 & £100+ a year to play.

I ended up paying £65 for the Digital Delux edition, was going to go for the CE, but the physical items don't appeal to me in this game.

And SW:Tor is shit. £20 is expensive :D

Chosen

Resident Freddy
It's a good excuse tbh, its not really much more than most games. And since there's no subs, I'd rather pay £40 for a game than £40 & £100+ a year to play.

I ended up paying £65 for the Digital Delux edition, was going to go for the CE, but the physical items don't appeal to me in this game.

And SW:Tor is shit. £20 is expensive :D
Seems most of the guild is getting either the DD or the CE. Wonder how many vault slots we can unlock in the guild tho xD

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Just that it's not an excuse, that's the way it is.

The investors wants their money back, you have a problem with the price bring it up with them. :)
We'll see when it's £20 in a few months :p yes no subs is nice but I'd rather pay subs and have a game which is constantly updated / maintained well (the reason subs exist)

Soazak

Part of the furniture
We'll see when it's £20 in a few months :p yes no subs is nice but I'd rather pay subs and have a game which is constantly updated / maintained well (the reason subs exist)

Debatable tbh, plenty of no subs games are maintaine fine, e.g. GW1, which has better support than most subscription MMOs I've played (you experienced GOA right... subs well spent :ROFLMAO:).

On the flip side, people still pay subs for daoc, who only released expansions for the first four years or so. Starwars, the updates that they are releasing are the kind of things that should have been in game from day 1 (so basically paying subs for a beta) such as combat logs.

And it will no doubt be £20-30, all games drop in price like this after release, it's nothing to do with how good they are, just how computer game prices go.

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah Mythic are making a huge mistake by charging £18 a month to play DAoC live and not releasing that many big updates.... no doubt about that..

I just don't have high hopes for stability if I'm playing an MMO which requires huge servers which cost the developers of the game a shit ton of money while I'm not paying a monthly fee...

No doubt a lot of people will buy the game due to monthly fees but I dunno, I'd just rather pay £9 a month I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom