Games Guild Wars 2

eksdee

FH is my second home
As I said previously in this thread, I hope I'm wrong, and trust me I've given plenty of very analytical, objective and constructive responses in the appropriate channels. I do, however, believe that at a base level the game is fundamentally flawed. Believe blindly all you want in the next great white MMO hope, I've been bitten too many times by other games to not see the obvious problems. ;)

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Well, I avoid beta testing for a reason. Just being patient waiting for the release, and then I will evaluate the game from there :)

Soazak

Part of the furniture
As I said previously in this thread, I hope I'm wrong, and trust me I've given plenty of very analytical, objective and constructive responses in the appropriate channels. I do, however, believe that at a base level the game is fundamentally flawed. Believe blindly all you want in the next great white MMO hope, I've been bitten too many times by other games to not see the obvious problems. ;)

It may be so, but imo it has a lot of elements different enough to be a decent game, compared to the rest of the market right now. And tbh, most games with pvp, no matter how bad a system are fun with the right ppl ;) WvW looks satisfying, even if it were just zergs.

escapium

Loyal Freddie
I tried stuctured pvp at GamesCom last summer. And even though I only played 20 mins., I have to admit, I completely fell in love with the combat style/system. And saying that they took the Build Wars out of GW2, is not enterily correct. The new traitsystem combined with Runes on armor that changes skills/utilityskills and attributes, will make sure that you can build your character for a hole lot of specific roles.

For example this dude posted a warrior spec ong the GWG forums, inpspired by the Midgaard skald:

---

I finally found a pretty good 'Skald' type build, but only if +%boon duration stacks straight across...

+30% boon duration from traits
+15% boon duration from 2 runes
+15% boon duration from 2 other runes
+20% swiftness from 2 other runes

So that is +80% swiftness if these stack. Then I have -15% cool down on War horn, so that gives me an 18 second swiftness, 17 second cool down.
tongue2.gif

All the +boon duration goes with the rest of my build too, so it's not just for swiftness.

---

Regarding WvW roaming I have no doubt that there will be plenty of space for raoming. As of right now WvW allows 1200 players total, and from what I have seen the maps are huge! Check this clip from gamebreaker to see for yourself:

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/crossing-the-border/

My biggest worry is that there is no incentive for killings enemy players, apart from gold and loot. The entire metagame is build around objectives, so I really hope that GW2 will implement some sort of realm rank system to deminish the need of zerking.

Its hard to say if GW2 will last trough years of playing, and it will curtainly not be just like daoc - but I still have faith in the GW2, and I cant wait to jump into WvW.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
I tried stuctured pvp at GamesCom last summer. And even though I only played 20 mins., I have to admit, I completely fell in love with the combat style/system. And saying that they took the Build Wars out of GW2, is not enterily correct. The new traitsystem combined with Runes on armor that changes skills/utilityskills and attributes, will make sure that you can build your character for a hole lot of specific roles.

For example this dude posted a warrior spec ong the GWG forums, inpspired by the Midgaard skald:

---

I finally found a pretty good 'Skald' type build, but only if +%boon duration stacks straight across...
+30% boon duration from traits
+15% boon duration from 2 runes
+15% boon duration from 2 other runes
+20% swiftness from 2 other runes
So that is +80% swiftness if these stack. Then I have -15% cool down on War horn, so that gives me an 18 second swiftness, 17 second cool down.
tongue2.gif

All the +boon duration goes with the rest of my build too, so it's not just for swiftness.
---

Regarding WvW roaming I have no doubt that there will be plenty of space for raoming. As of right now WvW allows 1200 players total, and from what I have seen the maps are huge! Check this clip from gamebreaker to see for yourself:

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/crossing-the-border/

My biggest worry is that there is no incentive for killings enemy players, apart from gold and loot. The entire metagame is build around objectives, so I really hope that GW2 will implement some sort of realm rank system to deminish the need of zerking.

Its hard to say if GW2 will last trough years of playing, and it will curtainly not be just like daoc - but I still have faith in the GW2, and I cant wait to jump into WvW.

That map looks huuge, and thanks for the "skald" build :D

Chosen

Resident Freddy
And there is actually lots of monsters around the area, so hopefully frontier exping is rewarding just like DAoC :)

Cirventhor

Can't get enough of FH
The fact that the PvP isn't an endless gear grind is really enough for me. The lack of gear as a motivating factor for zerging could potentially mix things up a bit compared to, say, SWTOR and WAR.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Does it stop people in DAoC? No. People will zerg simply because they don't care about PvP or don't want to bother making groups/friends. The lowest common denominator will always exist. With that said, if they can make structured PvP fun then the game will work great because you can just level to 2 (takes 5mins) and then play to your heart's content forever more. :p

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
always the leet who have to group v group assist train etc etc if you cant live with the zerg which is the casual players only means to combat being farmed by opt'd groups then go whine somewhere else tbh

Talivar

Part of the furniture
The WvWvW reminded me loads of early days of Daoc when i tried the beta, the maps was huge so people will learn where to roam eventually like they did in daoc. For beta it was natural people would all come together in certain area ( i.e the castle sieges )

Soazak

Part of the furniture
No real date yet, they plan to release it at the end of 2012 :)

The Pre-Purchase starts on 10th April.. this is not pre order, it's paying the full price of the game. People believe they will state the release date at the same time, which will hopefully be Q2 (I don't believe they would charge you the full cost of the game then not deliver for 8 months..). Hopefully May/June!

Chosen

Resident Freddy
The Pre-Purchase starts on 10th April.. this is not pre order, it's paying the full price of the game. People believe they will state the release date at the same time, which will hopefully be Q2 (I don't believe they would charge you the full cost of the game then not deliver for 8 months..). Hopefully May/June!

Let's cross our fingers :) Got my friend to finally start making our guild site now, so that we can gather the bunch and start recruiting people before the game comes out!

Docmandu

Regular Freddie
The WvWvW reminded me loads of early days of Daoc when i tried the beta, the maps was huge so people will learn where to roam eventually like they did in daoc. For beta it was natural people would all come together in certain area ( i.e the castle sieges )

It's huge.. but from what I can tell from vids (haven't played the game yet).. it only takes like a minute to run from keep to keep (or tower).. so it doesn't seem like there is much free space to roam around... it's also a pity 3 of the 4 maps are identical... anyway seems to me like DAoC's NF is actually quite a bit larger than GW'2 WvWvW area and has way more 'open' space to fight away from structures/safe havens.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
There seemed less "open" spaces in sense of large completly empty areas. I think its all an optical illusion tho because the maps still really big its just there is so much more in way of fortifications. I tried the beta solo and managed to get a good ammount of one on ones and one on twos as i ambushed people running to various seiges. The comparision to NF seems fair tho due to way you can teleport to certain keeps ect.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
best way is to look when they open the map and their character is still moving to get a sense of how large the map is, and from what i've seen it's not large at all..

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Its far far bigger than emain anyway lol and lets be honest thats where 90% of daoc RVR population seemed to go and stay

eksdee

FH is my second home
The map is big for sure, but conversely there is very little open space. It feels so cramped with PvE objectives (keeps, towers, supply points, zone quests) that I don't see roaming PvP being much of an option in the main. If they removed say, 25% of all the objectives it would be amazing. It's a well designed zone, for sure, just a bit too much cramped into it as it stands.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The map is big for sure, but conversely there is very little open space. It feels so cramped with PvE objectives (keeps, towers, supply points, zone quests) that I don't see roaming PvP being much of an option in the main. If they removed say, 25% of all the objectives it would be amazing. It's a well designed zone, for sure, just a bit too much cramped into it as it stands.
all you ever want is emaim old school ... accept it wont come again and enjoy whats there :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
I think the people wanting the game to be DAOC 2 are going to be severely dissapointed and that isn't ArenaNet fault.

eksdee

FH is my second home
all you ever want is emaim old school ... accept it wont come again and enjoy whats there :)

At what point did I say that? Liking DAoC does not mean I'm incapable of having an objective view on another game. Equally, just because I don't like the game doesn't mean I dislike it because I "want it to be DAoC 2". So dumb.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Believe blindly all you want in the next great white MMO hope, I've been bitten too many times by other games to not see the obvious problems. ;)

So what are these obvious problems anyway, and more precisely, why are they problems?

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
As some ppl have said, the game looks a bit zergy for a lot of ppl's liking but it's probably the closest thing to the daoc style of rvr to have come out of an mmo. I really do think we were spoilt by Daoc and nothing will come close so im going into GW2 with a clean slate and just hope i enjoy it. With the pre order closed beta coming up i'm sure they will get a lot of players with lots of ideas to clean up the WvW zones, everyone who played Daoc hated all the aggro mobs everywhere and i'm sure ppl will complain about the lack of space so they have time to clear it up.

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Well, from what I have seen myself I'm eager to start playing. And will most likely keep on playing it for quite a long time! The WvWvW part is the closest you come to real open PvP with keep warfare after DAoC anyways.

So for now, just going to pre-order the collectors edition, and build up the guild until release =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom