Grow tired of anti-smokes...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Could someone link me proof that second hand smoke, beyond living with and inside smoker for 50 years, kills or harms you? Or proof that it doesn't. Either way.

I'd love to say there is none to the people who randomly start on me for smoking, my choice, my life, f*ck off and all that.

No this isn't to start a discussion down the road, just asking if there's any proof yet. Prompted by a "lovely" lady with a baby carriage giving me grief for smoking otuside :eek:

Yes i told her that if my magical smoke comes in the darkness of the night and strangulates her family, she can come sue me.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I personally don't mind smokers at all - I'll let my mates smoke in my car even though I myself don't smoke, and both of my parents, my little brother and most of the rest of my extended family are smokers.

I honestly doubt second hand smoke is all that bad, but even if it is, I'm not really bothered about inhaling it, and hate this new anti-smoker bollocks that's come in lately, particularly the no smoking in pubs, which makes it shit to be a non-smoker, when the rest of the pub go out for a smoke and you're left sitting indoors like billy-no-mates waiting for people to come back in.

That said, I think its just good manners to not smoke near children and particularly babies. I really can see why parents wouldn't want people smoking near thier children.

I'm not saying this gives every parent the right to rage any smoker who steps anywhere near thier kids at all, but if you're waiting somewhere and you've just lit up and there's a baby right behind you, I think you're asking for trouble.

EDIT: Oops, I took this as leave to start a discussion :D Sue me! :D

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I don't see how anyone could argue that 2nd hand smoke is not harmful.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I was brought up around smokers don't mind them I guess.. played Hucking Fell with my asthma tho, loads of whiners about second hand smoke :p if they complain to my brother he just blows smoke in their face and they generally fuck off.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
If there's a woman with a baby carriage standing somewhere, you walk up to her standing a feet away from said carriage, and then light one up, it's asking for trouble.
If you're smoking somewhere, and a woman with a baby carriage who wasn't there when you lit up your cig comes standing next to you and then starts whining... flip her the finger.

And yeah, second hand smoke is actually bad for you. Google it.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Tbh I can't see how second hand smoke is any more harmful than the shit we enhale while walking down the street. I used to live in London and I'd come home every day, blow my nose and it looked like I'd been down a coal mine. That said I donn't smoke in the house and I make sure my smoke doesn't go near my daughter when we're out and about.

Lethul

FH is my second home
it's the same deal, with weight, alcohol, drugs etc. You quit or you're too weak to get help/quit on own.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
it's the same deal, with weight, alcohol, drugs etc. You quit or you're too weak to get help/quit on own.

Totally agree.

I can't see the reason behind smoking to be honest. Alcohol tastes good at least, while smoking just tastes and smells like shit. I wonder if smokers have never seen a person die from heavy smoking. It's not really a funny experience, but one that should keep you a hundred miles away from tobacco.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
people who are outside near traffic really ought to have their head checked if they think its passive smoking thats dangerous :)

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
Totally agree.

I can't see the reason behind smoking to be honest. Alcohol tastes good at least, while smoking just tastes and smells like shit. I wonder if smokers have never seen a person die from heavy smoking. It's not really a funny experience, but one that should keep you a hundred miles away from tobacco.

i cant see the reason behind drinking tbh , tobacco atleast taste good , while alcohol just taste like crap and makes you stupid....

tbh i dont think we should use personal taste as a reference here :)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
No this isn't to start a discussion down the road,

you cant come out with stuff like that and not expect people to have an oppinion :)

frankly if i had the opportunity id blow up every bleedin tobacco factory on the planet. i hate smoking i detest it. that been said i respect peoples rights to smoke, and i never ever berate people for it unless they are been complete and utter inconsiderate pricks.

and before anyone tries throwing the would you blow up every brewery and vinyard up. lets be clear the odd pint wont hurt you, drink in moderation and theres rarely a problem. smoking in moderation is still filling your body with shit that your body cant really deal with on any sensible time scale.

i have always had a firm belief that the majority of smokers lack will power the amount you hear saying i wish i could stop is beyond belief (i know theres a physical dependancy)

honestly i just cant see the attraction with smoking i never have. it fucks your body up from rotten teeth right down to the terminal stuff. it smells horrible, costs a bloody fortune. honestly genuine question here what is the appeal?

liloe

It's my birthday today!
i cant see the reason behind drinking tbh , tobacco atleast taste good , while alcohol just taste like crap and makes you stupid....

tbh i dont think we should use personal taste as a reference here :)

You're the first person I know that says tobacco tastes good, but yer, you're right about the personal taste =)

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
You're the first person I know that says tobacco tastes good, but yer, you're right about the personal taste =)

I think most smokers enjoy the taste, especially with a good brand of tobacco. I certainly prefer the taste to that of say Fosters.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
My story:

• Both parents smoke
  • I start at the age of 14-15
  • Smoke until 21
  • Complain like toht. "My life, my rules, fuck off" etc. No offence toht
  • Both parents stop
  • I stop
  • Start seeing what anti-smokers have been ranting about for all these years
  • Im glad we can't smoke in restaurants, bars and clubs anymore
  • My life is better and I feel better

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I personally don't mind smokers at all - I'll let my mates smoke in my car even though I myself don't smoke

wow! I wouldn't do that even back when I smoked myself o0 smoking...whatever, smoking in small enclosed spaces...fuck no.

other than that, what CorNokZ said.

soze

I am a FH squatter
There is a lot of proof but I cant see the lady's problem. You were out side and she was just walking past it would have no effect on her child. The only people at risk would have been those working 8 hours a day in that environment.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
[*]Im glad we can't smoke in restaurants, bars and clubs anymore
[/LIST]

you might like it , but its still crap legislation , in quality i would say its on par with lex rocker and lex tvind.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I think you'd have to be a fucking moron NOT to realise smoking is bad for you

I also think 2nd hand smoke contains 1000s of noxious chemicals that your body could do without, but I think you probably get an equal amount of bad shit in your lungs with city air (which is generally poor quality anyway what with traffic fumes & god knows what other industrial shit is being piped into the air illegally). Plus all the shit dumped on us all from Chernobyl

I don't have proof but common sense tells you its not good for you

Common decency should tell you not to spark up around babies & children

If they make a bee line for you and then have a go and you, tell them to fuck off

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Blanket ban drinking, including restaurants, bars and clubs

If you don't agree with me and support the smoking ban your opinion is automatically void for being an idiot

Thats all :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well to clear a few things up;

Yes smoking might be bad for you, without it you would probably be % healhier - that goes with a lot ot other stuff, it's a choice.

Smoking is a break, it does taste good(with a glass of scotch per example, or after a hefty meal. It calms you down, is a nice social aspect for new areas(you meet a lot of people out smoking and it's a lot easier for people who don't "mingle".

I was simply asking for proof outside enclosed spaces along time.

The woman was not standing there, if i ever smoke, i'm considerate enough to move away a good measure. If a woman witha carriage comes towards me on the street, i try to move the ciggie so it's as far away as possible from them. Same goes with blowing smoke, i try to avoid people getting pummeled.

Chipper all i meant was that i don't want to cause another anti-/pro rabble :p

There is a lot of proof but I cant see the lady's problem. You were out side and she was just walking past it would have no effect on her child. The only people at risk would have been those working 8 hours a day in that environment.

That's what i meant, outside that, i don't think there's any proof that my smoke will magically jump in someones lungs and strangle them.

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
I love the no smoking rule.

For years and years I used to go out on a night out and stand in pubs with people smoking all around. You would get home at night and your clothes would smell like a used ashtray. It was disgusting frankly.

The problem is smoking affects everyone around the smoker. I have no problems with people smoking, I just don't want to have to smoke with them.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Blanket ban drinking, including restaurants, bars and clubs

If you don't agree with me and support the smoking ban your opinion is automatically void for being an idiot

Thats all :p

Is that to prevent second hand drinking?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh and for the record on the ban;

- a lot of bar workers smoked themselves(harm there as they have to go out)
- most smokers don't give two tosses about going out for the smoke, it's a good break.
- A lot of non-smokers don't like it as they're left inside watching drinks/chairs.
- The smoke cleared out a lot of other smells in the bar.
- Smaller bars lose a lot of income to bars with terraces in the summer since you can have a smoke and drink there.

Overall i think it did more harm then good.

Does anyone have statistics on how many bar workers lives the ban saved? ;)

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
Oh and for the record on the ban;

- a lot of bar workers smoked themselves(harm there as they have to go out)
- most smokers don't give two tosses about going out for the smoke, it's a good break.
- A lot of non-smokers don't like it as they're left inside watching drinks/chairs.
- The smoke cleared out a lot of other smells in the bar.
- Smaller bars lose a lot of income to bars with terraces in the summer since you can have a smoke and drink there.

Overall i think it did more harm then good.

Does anyone have statistics on how many bar workers lives the ban saved? ;)
Alot of bar workers are also alcoholics. Cigarette smoke dont remove the smells just fuck up your sense of smell. Some bars state they´ve increased their sales thanks to the smoke ban in Sweden. And i know a few friends who spend more times at bars now cause they never liked the smoke. I started smoking when i started working as a bartender, one reason was i felt withdrawl when not working, i didnt notice the smoke as much as when i was non smoker..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Alot of bar workers are also alcoholics. Cigarette smoke dont remove the smells just fuck up your sense of smell.

What do alcoholics have to do with your point and the end effect is same even if smoke just f*cks up the sense.

Olgaline

FH is my second home
qft on cornzies reply, now my version
My story:
  • mother smoked
  • I started at the age of 13
  • Smoke until 29
  • dont Complain like toht.
  • I stop
  • GF stops, mother stops, gf's parents stop, friends stop "yes I rule"
  • Start seeing what anti-smokers have been ranting about for all these years
  • Im glad we can't smoke in restaurants, bars and clubs anymore
  • My life is better and I feel better, and the hangovers are far less

georgie

FH is my second home
I don't see how anyone could argue that 2nd hand smoke is not harmful.

So's eating fatty foods.

Roy Castle

nuff said

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

(probably was a major factor, but I've been wanting to use that phrase for aaaaaaages now) :p

Totally agree.

Each to their own really, isn't it. I'm not sure you can honestly say that every alcoholic drink tastes good. I'm sure there's some rank tasting tobaccos out there too, but I liked the taste of it.

How many smokers do you actually know? :p
I don't think I knew any that didn't like the taste. If you don't like the taste (not you personally) wtf are you doing smoking?

Nah, probably to prevent the twats who get pissed up and start shit with random strangers. :rolleyes:

There is a lot of proof but I cant see the lady's problem.

generated scientific evidence that significant secondhand smoke exposure is correlated

I think that's my overall problem with people's general perception of passive smoking. Non smoking Joe Bloggs in the street sometimes seems to think that if they can even whiff the smell of smoke then it means that suddenly they're wake up with cancer one day 20 years down the line.

I find it hard to believe that the body cannot cope with a "safe" amount of passive smoking.

That said, I personally used to be a considerate smoker around others (even other smokers) i.e. not blowing smoke in their faces, being down wind, not lighting up at all in more confined spaces, etc. and if someone doesn't like it around you, don't force it on them. But the old "I was here first, Bitch" comes into play if you were. :)

As has been said many times before, if smoking and drinking suddenly appeared to us nowadays there is no way in hell they would be allowed.

Topics on smoking really are quite divisive and illicit strong opinions which make a good read. :clap:

Chronictank

FH is my second home

1) Smoking was stopped on health ground, drinking is bad for you
Even the "evidence", which says small amounts is not is by no means solid proof. And even IF it was the case, there are much healthier alternatives meaning there is no need to drink.
Binge drinking is not good for you in any way

2) Pressure on the health services
Even though it has been proven many times smoking actually adds more than it takes away, the weight on the NHS because of alcohol related incidents/conditions far outweighs that of smoking

3) Social effects of alcohol
There is a significant enough negative influence when alcohol is involved from threatening behavior to damage of property
Ofc you could argue it is the minority, but most smokers do not go and blow smoke into other peoples faces either.

4) Smoking is banned in (read this bit carefully) smoking lounges and clubs
Yep smoking is banned in establishments built for it, so the second hand smoke argument is null and void since that is the purpose of the place. If you work there you accept the risk the same way boxers accept they may get hurt.
In the same light alcohol should be banned in every public space

Almost every argument against smoking can be used against alcohol, yet a lot of anti-smoking people seem to be happy to drink

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom