Grey Ganking, what do you think?

J

Jim_Spurious

Grey-ganking, the ethical issue!!

Now by grey-ganking I mean a high level character from an enemy realm prowling the noob areas of another realm's frontier and deliberately targetting grey con enemies, killing them with ease and hence deriding almost no benefit from the action.

I am sorry if this is a bit of a tired subject for anyone, but I haven't been using this particular forum for long, and it would be nice to see a perspective from my own server.

Now the general concensus I seem to be getting is that grey-ganking is acceptable. It is war after all and if you choose to go to the frontier you can be considered fair game for the opposition. I choose not to grey gank other players when I am in their frontiers, but then that is my choice. This is purely a legacy from my PvP Everquest days where grey-killing is regarded as extremely unethical. If they are green then they are worth RP's, in which case they are fair game. But killing a grey just seems to me to be a cheap shot.

So please take time to hear my tale of woe.

About 3 weeks ago I was solo XPing just outside Dun Ailine with my level 27 Hero. I like to XP here because of the many mobs that are around this level and the outpost bonus aswell. I get grey-ganked quite often here but it doesnt really slow me down since the bindstone is only 2 minutes away, it gives me an instant health restore and I get a chance to sell my loot. The time lost is nothing compared with the benefits of soloing here. On this particular occasion I was ganked by three Albs who were roaming the frontier, named Yog, Eggy and Jilson. They were all level 50 and I was level 27 but, fair enough, there is a war on after all. Now when this happened I was fighting a mob at the time, and I suffered XP death - ok, shit happens - its annoying but I doubted it was deliberate. I ran back from my bindstone to collect my XP and go hunt somewhere else. However the same Albs were camping my gravestone, and when I went back they killed me again. Now this is starting to get annoying. I am Rez sick so they are not even getting the 1 RP that I would normally be worth. So I release, go back, and they kill me again. On the third attempt they attacked me, and while we were fighting I was aggroed by a mob... the minstrel of this Trio then stunned me and backed off in what seemed to be a deliberate attempt to cause me another XP death. The mob killed me, but fortunately I didn't suffer another such set back. I didn't want to XP anywhere else since i had most of an XP bubble tied up in my grave. So I logged out and went to make a cup of tea. An hour later they had gone.

Now, I don't want to tell anyone how they should play the game, how they spend their time is down to them. I could hardly call it cheating and I am sure that every realm on Excalibur is just as guilty as the next when it comes to this sort of thing. It just all seemed a bit petty, that's all. There was no in game benefit to anyone involved. It just seemed a deliberate attempt to upset the guy at the other end of the keyboard, I dont let it get to me - it's just a game and as far as I am concerned it's now just anecdote I can share with people. But what do you guys think?

Maybe Yog, Eggy and Jilson want to lend their own perspective, because I would like to hear it.

Cheers.

A

Anu

Wow long post..

Old subject.. in short some ppl hate grey gankers and some guilds hate grey gankers.. with a passion

Others love grey ganking and don't care what con u r .. after all the argument "It is Realm v Realm" comes up.

Me personally would not grey gank if i met u by urself, but if ur "with the zerg" then hardlt can avoid it.

S

starblade

Originally posted by Anu
Others love grey ganking and don't care what con u r .. after all the argument "It is Realm v Realm" comes up.

Me personally would not grey gank if i met u by urself, but if ur "with the zerg" then hardlt can avoid it.

Agreed :)

F

findannain

that aint just grey ganking i say.... camping the gravestone and killing all over again and again while you gain nothing out of it and force another xp death?

to them 3 i say... go to pvp other idiots are to be found there(well not all pvpers... in my short time there i met some nice people)

H

Hatt

Greys are the only reason why i spent time in gorge and forest sav..

L

loxleyhood

Although I never actively seek greys, I do kill them because;

a) Its fun
b) They attract yellows

J

Jim_Spurious

Thanks Find.

Thanks for the replies guys, but you are all sort of missing the point.

It's not that I was grey ganked, its that I had three people camped my gravestone for nearly half an hour and tried to cause me XP death... now that's just mean. :-(

S

shilak

Simple, if you dont want to be killed by enemy players then stay out of the RvR areas. You enter them then you are fair game, if you dont want some purple con player killing you then do your levelling in the PvE only areas.

S

sars

Agree kill em all.

If u aint strong enough to defend yourself or your realm stay away if you dont wanna die.

B

BrassMonkey

now that's just mean. :-(

No that's just hilarious.

It's the bit that says 'Is a member of an enemy realm' that does it.

F

froler-mid

i read the topic.

GANK GREYS ARE GREAT

:bazbeer:
:bazbeer:

(dont exp in frontiers etc, if u do, dont whine....)

K

Kagato.

I never deliberatly kill greys unless there part of a zerg force and the F8 picks them up, but I don't take part in zergs much anyway.

If im alone or in a small group and come across a grey, i'll usually wave at em, scare em a little, and my cleric usually stuns them to keep em from doing anything stupid for a little while, then move on. If they follow and keep trying to hit me i'll tap em, but usually they have common sense enough to take there lucky break and run.

I've even been known to show mercy to the odd greens that have amused me with friendly emotes.

Being a solo dueler, My reputation is worth more to me then Realm Points.

B

bracken_woodman

Depends what mood I'm in :p

If the sun is shining, the sky is blue, and I'm finding some nice pickings in the frontiers then a little grey that comes skipping along will usually be greeted, hugged and let pass. But if I've just been jumped by 3 buffedup shadowblades then the grey will get it. End of story.

On a side note, cutest encounter I had with a grey was in Uppland. Think the grey's name was Marbles. Went something like this:

You target Marbles
You make a slit throat motion to Marbles
Marbles slaps you
Marbles slaps you
you make a slit throat motion to Marbles
Marbles starts to cry
You make a surrendering motion to Marbles
Marbles hugs you
You hug Marbles
You wave Marbles
Marbles waves to you

And we both went our separate ways :)

M

Mundokar

Originally posted by bracken_woodman
You target Marbles
You make a slit throat motion to Marbles
Marbles slaps you
Marbles slaps you
you make a slit throat motion to Marbles
Marbles starts to cry
You make a surrendering motion to Marbles
Marbles hugs you
You hug Marbles
You wave Marbles
Marbles waves to you

And we both went our separate ways :)
rofl nice one

S

StormriderX

I don't gank greys unless they happen to be part of a zerg - then they are the first to die :D

F

Fagane

Grey Gankers are Wankers.

end of story.

delibirate XP death causers are a bunch of A$$holes.

end of story.

In case you always will have both of them you need to live with them.

end of story.

Fagane

A

aavarn

Yeah sometimes you just can't avoid killing greys - you might want to attract the yellows out to hunt you down or you might just be purging the area. Even if they can't hit you, they can report your position.

However the actions of the 3 albs you mention here goes beyond just RvR. That is antisocial and pathetic with no real motivation. Of course it is possible that the 3 of them were SUCH bad players that they didn't realise it was you over and over.

This type of behaviour is actually on Mythic's list of antisocial and unacceptable borderline behaviour.

Basically some people will always be twats - what you have done here, posting their names on this forum, is the best response as we can now victimise them and their alts, which might serve as a reminder to others tempted to behave like complete nimrods that we as a community don't want it.

On a related but seperate note I have never understood why people choose to XP in the frontier area... Its just not worth it - there is always a dungeon or spot somewhere in the classic areas that is equally good or better at your level - you just need to find it. Additionally that spot won't have roaming lev 50s killing you for kicks because they are bored/stupid/sociopathic.

S

skile

Well. If you are talking about ethics. Let me put it like this. If you are not a RP-whore. You don't care about RP's, only killing. So that would be a good thing? Not being a rpwhore? ;)

E

Elixir

cba reading all that, i dont gank greys unless they help the cons that iam helping, i.e grey rezzing a yellow.

A

Aule Valar

quite likely you where exping somewhere they like to either camp, or somewhere they use as a resting spot, by the 3rd time they where probably annoyed someone kept seeing them and tryed to make you piss off by exp killing you

however exp killing is evil, and should be avoided
gray ganking though, i kill all greys i see, as they are generally guilded, and will tell people where you are

H

hercules-df

I dont have a prob of Grey Killing in DF or RVR or somehwere if they are not doing anything but deliberatly killing them while they are exping is a bit cunty, Especially out in the frontier, Ive been in guild grps deep in the hiob frontier and see solo luris hunting low mobs, We never kill them or attempt to fuck them up coz it would be a bit lame, after few mins of /dancing /clapping and kissing :) we carry on our way leaving them alive, We all agree in about a months time the same character will prolly aoe mezz us in rvr but thats fair enough.

Killing a grey when its obvious they are trying to exp is a bit lame imo

Killing them when they are at their portal in DF or RVR when they clearly are not in danger from mob death or havent ran a long way to get to a mob area is fine if ppl want to do it, theres something satisfying about raping a grey troll in 1 hit :D

Something i think is very poor tho are the DF zergs that happen near high mob areas, 3 or 4 grps of enemy realm come near u while youre 1fg are fighting a high mob , then the enemy realm MEZZING YOU on purpose so u get exp death = Very fucking lame, I say, Not sure if people do this often or on purpose, But have witnessed and been the victim of at least 3 times in DF. Maybe its only certain people/guilds who do this and there are as many nice peeople in each realm do balance it out a bit as i have seen enemy realm people not attacking expers till after they are safe from exp death, and sometimes even helping them.

Just my opinions, some people might get a kick out of causing others exp death, but i think its "gay"

J

JoxerTheMighty

It depends on my mood, if I kill a grey or let him live. I dont usually kill greys anymore (there was a time when that was otherwise - Hello to all the Middies in Yggdra and Uppland btw :) ) but if I am having a trip into either the Mid- or Albfrontier, run around a couple of minutes and still dont find any valuable targets.....I might tend to gank one or two greys just to get their attention. After all..many grey have yellow friends :)

However.....if I see a grey roaming through Emain, Breifine or somewhere else in Hibernia, he will get a one-hit-ticket back to his homeland.
It's a bit like dogshite...you don't care, if some lies in the park you occasionally walk through but you definately dont want to have it in your backyard. ;)

Oh..and about your question (3 albs camping grave, trying to get you xp-killed again). Well..its lame, unhonorable and stupid but its not against any rule. So if these peeps enjoy camping your gravestone (which must be even more boring than crafting)..let them.

T

Tumult

I personally do not think grey ganking is right, however if you are in a zerg you do generally wipe out everyone in it, and if you are on a keep raid wiping out enemies may stop them from reporting positions, but usually they probaly wont report you to as if you dance and wave at them (thats what i do:))

Overall tho it is a realm war and is purely a matter of opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread