Greatest songwriter of the 20th century?

Everz

FH is my second home
soze said:
I disagree listen to some of Nas songs his messages are mental. Also Ice Cube wrote alot of Easy E stuff from NWA so Ice Cube > E ;)

and Dr Dre > All
dre is a producer not a writer foo'

although givf Detox already :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
Eversmallx said:
dre is a producer not a writer foo'

although givf Detox already :(
with out the beat there can be no rap :)

and the Detox is a myth

How ever the rumors of a NWA return have not been shot down who would you get to replace E. The Game could be a easy choise :)

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
eksdee said:
that talentless cock from rancid?

no one will know him ofc because they're such a small-time band :rolleyes: .i really can't stand when people make out they're SO SUBVERSIVE for listening to tosh like rancid, who are on a big label, are liked by hundreds of thousands of people and have music videos on fucking mtv. get real.

Hes far from a cock mate. How the fuck can you say hes talentless? All the bands hes been in are fucking great. Maybe i'm not fucking talking about fucking rancid but operation ivy ? YES OPERATION IVY WERE A SMALL-TIME fucking BAND you shit. Get real yourself. What music you into ?

eksdee

FH is my second home
at the time, i suppose you could say that. they are hardly 'small time' now though, are they.

you shouldn't swear so much, you'll end up getting yourself banned m8r.

Everz

FH is my second home
soze said:
with out the beat there can be no rap :)

and the Detox is a myth

How ever the rumors of a NWA return have not been shot down who would you get to replace E. The Game could be a easy choise :)
meeh, NWA only did 1 classic album, the rest were naff imho. Cube will have alot more lyrics to write heh.

qq, detox should be realised imo, chronic and 2001 are classics.

eksdee

FH is my second home
it's all about hieroglyphics for me with 'old school' hip hop. in general, it bores me as a genre, but hiero is solid gold.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Eversmallx said:
meeh, NWA only did 1 classic album, the rest were naff imho. Cube will have alot more lyrics to write heh.

qq, detox should be realised imo, chronic and 2001 are classics.
Yeah i think he should do another.
Ice Cube said when people asked why no Dre tracks on the new album that he was busy with other things but he was not doing the detox.

Fingers crossed for Cronic 2011 then ;)

Everz

FH is my second home
soze said:
Yeah i think he should do another.
Ice Cube said when people asked why no Dre tracks on the new album that he was busy with other things but he was not doing the detox.

Fingers crossed for Cronic 2011 then ;)
haha yeh, although i fear it having ft G-unit all over it :(

soze

I am a FH squatter
Eversmallx said:
haha yeh, although i fear it having ft G-unit all over it :(
hehe not unless the game gets on with g unit by then dr dre firmly placed himself behind the game that why eminem told 50 cent to leave it alone :)

Everz

FH is my second home
soze said:
hehe not unless the game gets on with g unit by then dr dre firmly placed himself behind the game that why eminem told 50 cent to leave it alone :)
heh, game is currently dissing dre, so i guess that calls an end to that.

Varna

Fledgling Freddie
Glenn Tilbrook, Paul Banks, Noel Gallagher, Robert Diggs, Jarvis Cocker, Billie Myers.

Succi

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm this is too linked with 'whats your favourite music' imo

however :

jerry cantrell (down in a hole , rooster .. many many others with deep meaning)

dave mustaine ( 'lucretia' has awesome structure, reckoning day has amazing lyrics)

whoever has most input on u2 stuff (bono i assume)

james hetfield (rtl , fade to black, disposable heroes, mop)

izzy stradlin/axl rose were an awesome duo.. but they suck without each other so are disqualified

soze

I am a FH squatter
Eversmallx said:
heh, game is currently dissing dre, so i guess that calls an end to that.
have not seen that he did befor his second album but is that album he says sorry i will have to find a few more dis tracks now see what the latest is

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
Kool G is more respected than Chuck D amongst rappers.

Although for example Bob Dylan rapes the shit out of any rapper ever for songwriting.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Azurus said:

Although for example Bob Dylan rapes the shit out of any rapper ever for songwriting.

Kool G is awesome, you are living a fantasy if you think he is more respected than Chuck D though. As I said earlier Chuck D and Public Enemy have been credited as an influence on over 1000 albums in the last 20 years.

I myself have been heavily into rap for the last 21 years and I have never listened to anyone who could write and deliver such powerful lyrics as Chuck D has been doing for 2 full decades. I have bought the magazines, been to the concerts, bought the VHS and DVD's, watched every episode of 'Yo! MTV Raps' ever screened in Europe and the amount of rappers that credit Chuck D as a major influence is just insane. Yes Kool G influenced a ton of people as well but he never broke through and reached the massive international audience that Public Enemy did. They have had great commerical success without ever compromising thier music, they have recieved critical acclaim from mainstream and underground music press who generally despise rap in all it's forms.

For that reason alone Chuck D is the most important modern day rapper and in my opinion the greatest rap lyricist of all time. You may disagree as is your right but experience has taught me that the vast majority of people in the rap scene would be in agreement with me.

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Stephen Malkmus - particularly for the early 'Pavement' material
David Yow - 'Jesus lizard' era, true comic moments amongst the noise.

Mr malkmus winning out solely by virtue of the songs being slightly more serious.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Azurus said:

To me that sounds like Xjgdslk is much cooler than kfskljr =))

Potato Junkie

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
I myself have been heavily into rap for the last 21 years and I have never listened to anyone who could write and deliver such powerful lyrics as Chuck D has been doing for 2 full decades. I have bought the magazines, been to the concerts, bought the VHS and DVD's, watched every episode of 'Yo! MTV Raps' ever screened in Europe and the amount of rappers that credit Chuck D as a major influence is just insane. Yes Kool G influenced a ton of people as well but he never broke through and reached the massive international audience that Public Enemy did. They have had great commerical success without ever compromising thier music, they have recieved critical acclaim from mainstream and underground music press who generally despise rap in all it's forms.

For that reason alone Chuck D is the most important modern day rapper and in my opinion the greatest rap lyricist of all time. You may disagree as is your right but experience has taught me that the vast majority of people in the rap scene would be in agreement with me.

Agree with most of that, but then I have to ask... why encourage people to listen to "Black Planet" when "Yo! Bum Rush The Show" and "It Takes A Nation Of Millions" are superior imo?
And! KRS-One has also been consistently topical, referenced, lyrically great etc for the best part of 20 years but nobody mentions him?
I rate Kane btw, to add to the argument ;)
But the best songwriter ever? Have to quote Soundgarden (Cornell) just for this line....
"the words we say, never seem to live up to the ones inside your head"
Couldn't pick a 'best' as lots of people of different genres write amazing stuff, just depends what appeals to you/ speaks to you/ speaks for you...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Mark Knopfler (dire straits) probably one of the best guitarists ever too
Eric Clapton (loads)
Stuart Murdoch (Belle and Sebastian)

eksdee

FH is my second home
fuck. how did i forget eric clapton.

remembering even more i would have added now like:

louis armstrong

miles davis

van morrisson

Zede

Part of the furniture
Dudley52 said:
Hes far from a cock mate. How the fuck can you say hes talentless? All the bands hes been in are fucking great. Maybe i'm not fucking talking about fucking rancid but operation ivy ? YES OPERATION IVY WERE A SMALL-TIME fucking BAND you shit. Get real yourself. What music you into ?

Fuck the Fucking Fucker !

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
Elliot Smith and Jeff Buckley are the two best 'modern' ones i reckon.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm, I'd have to go with Phil Collins, :)worthy:) Mark Knopfler, Roger Waters, Paul Simon...and a few others - not to mention Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richard, etc etc :)

Edit: tbh have to add Mike Patton too

Everz

FH is my second home
soze said:
have not seen that he did befor his second album but is that album he says sorry i will have to find a few more dis tracks now see what the latest is
on his new song "Breath Easy", its on power 106 website afaik.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom