Government conspiracy about aliens.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Hollywood(unt TV) is USAs main brainwash power.
There are no spaceship shows on TV.
There is an increasing amount of "aliens are nasty who want to invade us" TV/movie stuff.
US scraps space flights.

From this we can conclude, without a shadow of a doubt and as actual fact, that they(they ofcourse being those that are they in any situation involving the government) are trying to brainwash us into thinking that space exploration is a bad idea and that aliens are evil.

Clearly, big alien overlords have told the USA to stay on earth and keep our people in check with fear of nasty aliens trying to eat our heads.

*hides in bunker with tinfoil hat*

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think it's more that there is little reason for manned space flight when a robot can do the job far cheaper and far better. Propulsion systems aren't good enough to get us into outer space at anything more than a crawl, there is little point sending a probe to the outer planets or another solar system as we will either be able to see the target with a telescope or will have over taken it with better propulsion.

By the time voyager 1 gets to another solar system (if it ever does) we will have overtaken it with future technology.

It will take private business to do anything of importance on Mars, they need to discover rare metals - and even then it will probably be a robotic venture.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I think it's more that there is little reason for manned space flight when a robot can do the job far cheaper and far better. Propulsion systems aren't good enough to get us into outer space at anything more than a crawl, there is little point sending a probe to the outer planets or another solar system as we will either be able to see the target with a telescope or will have over taken it with better propulsion.

By the time voyager 1 get to another solar system (if it ever does) we will have overtaken it with future technology.

It will take private business to do anything of importance on Mars, they need to discover rare metals - and even then it will probably be a robotic venture.

You Sir, have the soul of an accountant.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
they need to discover rare metals

Actually that's a misnomer. The so called "Rare Earth Metals" that China has an almost 90% monopoly on aren't even that rare. Some are more common than Aluminium. The name comes from their location in the periodic table.

It's just a few decades ago we had no use for them so there was no profit, hence all the biggest mines, mainly in America, got shut down. Now that every technology device in the world seems to need them suddenly it's a big issue. It'll be years before they can reopen those mines even if they wanted to.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

No-one will bother mining Mars, its just another gravity well to deal with; they'll go straight to the asteroids instead.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Everyone is missing the point here; where are all the sci-fi spaceship shows? Last time this happened it was like...the 60s or something :p

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think they were done to death in the 90s really.

I would like to see another Star Trek - not a cheese fest like their last effort but something good like voyager (sue me!) or the next generation. Or even a complete re-boot of the IP would probably be better...in line with the new movies.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think they were done to death in the 90s really.

I would like to see another Star Trek - not a cheese fest like their last effort but something good like voyager (sue me!) or the next generation. Or even a complete re-boot of the IP would probably be better...in line with the new movies.

Even if i'm a bit bored of the grim and gritty genre that's sweeping the movie scene, a star trek about people who don't give two tosses about the prime directive and like to blow sh*t up would be fun.

Star trek or any other space thingy really.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I am sure there was a rumour going round years ago about a more war based Star Trek but either it was completely made up or never got anywhere. I know they were also on about doing a Starfleet academy series...though that would no doubt be a terrible teen highschool show set in space.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I am sure there was a rumour going round years ago about a more war based Star Trek but either it was completely made up or never got anywhere. I know they were also on about doing a Starfleet academy series...though that would no doubt be a terrible teen highschool show set in space.

Oh, i actually thought back in TNG times that a teen based highschool show about starfleet academy (picard and lot or some such) would be a big hit on TV. Guess it was just a signal mixup in the "idea matrix" this world shares :D

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
a complete re-boot of the IP would probably be better...in line with the new movies.

I was with you until then. The new movies are most definitely not Star Trek - they're more, er, Capitalist Trek?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
If I was an Alien from an advanced civilization that had travelled half way across the Galaxy for who knows how many generations to visit Earth the first thing I'd want to do once arriving would be to give an American Redneck an anal probe.

Yup. That sounds perfectly logical to me.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
nah, that's just you Zarjazz. *normal* aliens will be after our vast natural resources. I mean, it's perfectly natural for an interstellar species to want to mine in a gravity well!

meh, I don't buy it: once we get off this rock I don't see why anyone would want to live on one. perhaps as specialized holiday or retirement homes or something.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
meh, I don't buy it: once we get off this rock I don't see why anyone would want to live on one. perhaps as specialized holiday or retirement homes or something.

You'd be back every week to visit your doctor.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
yeah food poisoning aftermath in zero g would be a horror show.

Theres no way id go into space with a plague bot like you.

rynnor

Rockhound
Actually that's a misnomer. The so called "Rare Earth Metals" that China has an almost 90% monopoly on aren't even that rare. Some are more common than Aluminium. The name comes from their location in the periodic table.

There are a few practical issues with them - they tend to be present in low volumes such that they aren't really economic to mine for specifically but if you happen to be mining something else you can modify your process to extract them from the tailings. I dont think even at really high concentrations they would be viable to mine from mars though.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I can tell you from trustworthy sources, that aliens in fact do NOT exist. You do NOT need to worry and that they have NO intention of invading earth.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I was with you until then. The new movies are most definitely not Star Trek - they're more, er, Capitalist Trek?

I've watched every episode of ToS about 5 times and in my opinion the new franchise is exactly what the original Star Trek is.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've watched every episode of ToS about 5 times and in my opinion the new franchise is exactly what the original Star Trek is.

Gene Rodenberry stipulated before he died that there was to be no money in the Federation.

There is in the new film. Therefore = Not Star Trek.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Gene Rodenberry also thought that men wore skirts in the future.

tng-skirt.png

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Gene Rodenberry also thought that men wore skirts in the future.

To be fair and scots aside - it's going that way considering the amount of men I see wearing makeup :)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Either way we need to get off this rock one way or the other or the species is at the mercy of 1 mistake.

It dissapoints me that people are so focused on capital wealth and not the continuation of the species

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'll be dead in around 50 years. I am not sure I care that much tbh.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
I'll be dead in around 50 years. I am not sure I care that much tbh.
punishement you are exactly right
and unfortunately ravens attitude probably accounts for over 90% of the planet i wont be here so i dont care etc nothing personal raven but ive had this conversation at work and all but 1 or 2 gave same reply

Punishment

Resident Freddy
One has to wonder of all the possible species that have reached the level we are at now.

-Technologically advancing at an exponential rate
-Still reliant on fossil fuels
-Lots of factions,limited resources and no true renewable power source
-Tethered to a single planet
-Restricted in many ways by personal greed

How many survived past this point as it's almost miraculous we have reached this level, i cannot help but think the clock is ticking on how long it will last, we either branch out or tie our futures to one rock and our own selfish and short sighted wants (ffs the moon landing was done by something that makes the latest smartphone look like mana from heaven)

Humankind needs to see the big picture, i would happily spend the rest of my days working for half nothing to help advance the species even if it was just cleaning the canteen the boffins take their breaks in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom