Good old days . . .

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie
With so much change in toa since the early days, thought people might like to post the things they miss from DAOC in the early days. :fluffle:

So come on, post some stories and make a few people smile with tears of reminisence in their eyes . . .

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie
My best early memory was being lvl 25 and doing a raid into Odins on the day before the first patch. We took Bledmeer and about 50 lvl 40's were there too.

Was with my lvl 16 cabby friend ( who fell from the tower and died :clap: ) and I even shot Sinister for 1 point with my short bow :clap: :clap:

How good was those early times . . .

/salute

klavrynd

Fledgling Freddie
running solo and unbuffed and killing something for a change

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
I remember my L34 crush specced pally running like fuck from big purple trolls, after I had stopped laughing that was...

I wish be were still at 1.45, that was the best patch I think.

emma

Loyal Freddie
klavrynd said:
running solo and unbuffed and killing something for a change
Second that Klav. Ohh and ofc Alessandra :( damn i miss Alessandra and Faile. best two people i ever met in DAoC :(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I miss the sense of community, at times now it feels like every man for himself. The lack of real exp groups (not those silly powerlevel ones) and selfish attitude that the design of ToA helped create has really killed the game for me at the moment. Too many people playing for the items etc... instead of playing for fun.

Brunore

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:
I miss the sense of community, at times now it feels like every man for himself. The lack of real exp groups (not those silly powerlevel ones) and selfish attitude that the design of ToA helped create has really killed the game for me at the moment. Too many people playing for the items etc... instead of playing for fun.

Think you have pretty much summed it up there mate :(

Krait

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:

I think it started even earlier than that,PvE started going downhill when SI and SC'ing arrived and RvR started on the slippery slope when RA's came into the game.
I can remember having 100k+ in realm points before I was level50 on my scout and before the RA's were even here.It was actually fun to go to Emain and enjoy having fights all night even though I died most of the time.
Then the game turned into RP's before everything,in the fastest possible time,with barely a thought given to playing just for fun. :(

Somewhere along the way the shine became rust and it was'nt worth the effort to remedy it. :(

Oh well,at least I hav'nt had to put up with ToA which seems to have magnified all that was wrong with the game and peoples attitudes. :/

Yussef

Fledgling Freddie
Some people enjoy the things the above posters dislike however. You're not going to cater to everyone's tastes at the end of the day though.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
i remember when i wa splaying my therg Ezlai in t30 when the guild was still fairly new and being in a salisbury giants grp with other lowbies we stayed up till about 3am it was organised by a player called Normal and it was a belting night, sadly due to /lvl and power leveling we dont get the sence of "growing up" with other players like saying ahh i remember grouping with you when we 1st made these chars and like some1 said the whole sence of community died, always used to ask in /gu for a rez and some1 would say oh i got such and such parked nearby i'll rez and we can grp up now you ask and every1 is too busy crafting or getting toa stuff
/cry

Hyuga Hinata

Fledgling Freddie
Lorimez Shadowblade said:
My best early memory was being lvl 25 and doing a raid into Odins on the day before the first patch. We took Bledmeer and about 50 lvl 40's were there too.

Was with my lvl 16 cabby friend ( who fell from the tower and died :clap: ) and I even shot Sinister for 1 point with my short bow :clap: :clap:

How good was those early times . . .

/salute

You sure that was before the first patch? As far as I can remember falling damage wasn't in the game until 1.45 (may be wrong tho, was a long time ago now).

But I remember my uber Rejuv specced Friar on Excal, god that char was a gimp. :p

Breon

Fledgling Freddie
I remeber when i joined my first guild at lvl 7 i think i was at the time and someone gave me 5 gold. Wow i thought i'll never be able to spend all that.

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:

Good summary I would say, though the slide downwards probably started much earlier when the highscore list became available.

Derric

Fledgling Freddie
I miss not having to put down so much work to do anything, in the old days you could just port to Emain and enjoy RvR, unbuffed and without having everything capped, uber sc/RA's osv osv. ;o

Aldrick

Fledgling Freddie
Miss the times where u explored things and got amazed by the Glacier Giant when u saw him the first time. Exping in yggdra with the occasional stealther coming there to expkill ppl (damn u Trad). First time i saw hibs in rvr when we were exping on grogarns near DC and saw a tree attacking us and thought WTF.
And the day i managed to win 2 duels against clerics with my skald by using the evil tactic of aggroing a greencon before duel so he broke mez on me :) (damn those clerics where uber)

B0wnz

Fledgling Freddie
hmm lets see, back at the start when we had no high lvl gear on hib and alb, while mid did , think 35 was the highest we had , hetting lv 40 green armor vs lvl 50 mids in yellow con armor and 2 hitting tanks with zerkers :p
2-3 months in was it b4 alb started to try and take back its keeps after mids holding them and the relics for that amount of time , now those were the days :p
we got our new lvl 50 items . just had to farm for it and get to 50 . sf being the first , rvring as so many said , buffless no stats/resisted cap, well maybe 1 or 2 , having fight of 50+ mids camping apk vs 60 albs and mids win easy :p
hibs were never seen for ages and ages and ages , we thought they quit the game or something.

Imo tho the BETA was far better!
my lvl 38 2handed pala 4tw , was about a fg of albs that was 38+
mids had about group and a bit. highest lvl was amid , 42 i think
fights in emain was great . u had hibs running too and from crim to amg and having there arse kicked for most of it :p ( not always ) mids runing from mpk , mmg , amg , and apk same for albs . having 3 way fights at amg . with like 100 mids/ alb 40 hibs ( if that tbh )
hibs mainly being green or grey to me , with 1 blue con :D
then albs first keep take on notts , then we took beld then blend ( or was it glenlock ..unsure) mids trying to take beno , fg of albs defending there
now THOSE were the days :))))))))

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
lvling with Chevron and Soulsdoorway in UC (undead camp in Ygg), always paranoid that there was an archer behind every tree or a caster spending mob like pets on us, and sudden spread of panic when a few purple hibs or albs came running through.

We'd all run mindless at them with our swords swinging only to be 1hit, dropping like lemmings ;P

Awww the old times ;o

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Remember Niroth/Lorath introducing me to daoc.
we had been sick of playing Diablo2 both of us

He told me where to download daoc beta and I asked whats a good melee class.

He said warrior is kinda fun and speccing in sword is good.

So off to make the char. I made a dwarf with eyepatch :clap: named Griegorisher on the excalibur beta server.

I found a thing called Sprint. and asked niroth what that might be. he said u run faster with it but u loose endurance. after he explained what endurance was I was good to go.

off to exp on the mularn ants. oO and scared to hell when ugly purple worms or king/queen/guards came :)

I think I became lvl 8-10 orso. then I made a norse thane. omg I had so fun with dat lightning blast.

Wish that would never end :(

Thanks to Niroth for introducing me to such a good game.
And /slap nowadays for doing so. cause the game sure aint what it used to be.

Also Danhyr showing me around Albion when I was a little young season merc to well nice :)

stanleycup

Fledgling Freddie
Miss auto pulling & Trees :(

First time i experienced that was for me one of the best things in game.

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
chaining goblins in lyonesse, with the occational wipe where the goblins decided that they should control all of lyonesse ....

HUGE fun

once had an unbroken chain run for 4 hours or so...

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
The most fun for me was going to emain for the first time at lvl 35.
There were about 4 level 50 albs at that time and mids had a bit more including Sinister who could oneshot you with his bow.

Also going to Tepoks with my first guild to farm so we could get a guild emblem, now that was a fun night.

anin

Fledgling Freddie
Most memoral time for me was:

When lowbie albs lv 2/7 got killed in mass by mulgrut <hope i got the name right>. And whe formed our first alb zerg to kill the git. <legend starts here>
Believe about 11 lowbies charged him. 2 lived and one dinged on him aswell.

But that what made this game for me, helping one othere to get thing done.
For the rest crazy pulls from me at goblins where always a good to get pple awake

Pudzy

Can't get enough of FH
cHodAX said:

Agree with what you said.

The final nail in the coffin for me was when I realised almost everyone I'd been helping through ToA on random ML quests or arti encounters/xping, were'nt going to return the favour, just blanked me out if I needed anything, because they couldn't be arsed. They were always willing to recieve help tho (shock!). I preferred midgard for this reason, not many people cared about what class I played, if they were friends, they would help me in anything, and I had many many friends like that there.
My favourite moments.. were all in midgard I think, i nthe early days when I was learning the gmae still, I remember playing healer, not know how to spec, and xping at lvl 5 as a Seer for about 3days \o/. Yggdra was uber tho, I remember the first time I went there to xp at UC, and some lvl 50 Hero ran all the way there and attacked our group of 22>26, we actually killed him \o/. Also when I lvl'd my SB at UC, Artemis found it funny pwning me sometimes, and scaring me shitless the next, aswell as Trad pwning me all the time ;p.

DaggerElivager

Fledgling Freddie
Pudzy said:
Agree with what you said.

The final nail in the coffin for me was when I realised almost everyone I'd been helping through ToA on random ML quests or arti encounters/xping, were'nt going to return the favour, just blanked me out if I needed anything, because they couldn't be arsed. They were always willing to recieve help tho (shock!). I preferred midgard for this reason, not many people cared about what class I played, if they were friends, they would help me in anything, and I had many many friends like that there.
My favourite moments.. were all in midgard I think, i nthe early days when I was learning the gmae still, I remember playing healer, not know how to spec, and xping at lvl 5 as a Seer for about 3days \o/. Yggdra was uber tho, I remember the first time I went there to xp at UC, and some lvl 50 Hero ran all the way there and attacked our group of 22>26, we actually killed him \o/. Also when I lvl'd my SB at UC, Artemis found it funny pwning me sometimes, and scaring me shitless the next, aswell as Trad pwning me all the time ;p.

yggdra is like the best zone in daoc!! it was so cool in the early days, exp'ing..searchin for stealthiers etc...running from purple enemies..was great fun!

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
I started abit late, end november 2002, and on December the 8 i believe, a Dragon Raid FFA-Christmas style was arranged and everyone could come, I came with my at that time lvl 8 or 11 hunter (hehe, i'm unsure about a few things) and it was great fun, with self-writen christmas carols, all in red hats, people doing the HAMSTER-DANCE on stones in malmo entrance ;)

Think it was Roo or maybe Belorfyn who arranged it, but at that time i didn't care, i just wanted to see the Dragon and have fun ;)

My group got whiped on the way tho, someone was agro to svarts, might have been me tho, not sure, was quite a noob back then :p

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
One of the things I think that peeps don't quite keep track of when they talk about the 'old' community is that friends leave the game so naturally, the community seems to lose its vitality for those peeps. Happens to all of us and those of us that have been around a while all feel this to a degree.

Bots are the single biggest thing to erode the community though, like an insideous creeping disease. They enhance the game for the individual at the expense of the community and increasingly people are being asked to defend why not have a bot, rather than why they should have one.

Half waiting for Mythic to announce you can get a discount on second accounts for game "to allow family members to enjoy the game more easily" or something similar.

On paladin fun memories things like running around the ant room in Keltoi pulling everything just to see what happens. At around lvl11 or so trying to complete the quest to get Griliki's (or whatever his name is) 3 little helpers outside Tepok and finding the last one maddeningly difficult to pull from within all that agro - all I wanted was the damned sleeves as I was pretty much lacking in the armour department. At lvl40ish, grouped with Lynxian who was xp'ing an artifact and much purpleness in Avalon City which could 2 shot me but I still kept trying to get agro anyway because it was a giggle. Feeding Whiskers every time I go to Camelot and then some conversations with Alb's smallest realm guard. Good laugh being primary tank for the ML1.10 encounter with Cetus. Bravely I charged in and died immediately. Rezzed, forgot breathing potion, died again. Got it right 3rd time and mercifully we completed the encounter despite me, rather than because of me.

Sorry if these memories are rather recent, but what the hey, I only started playing pally after ToA when everyone else buggered off to play Half Ogre Mercs or Armsmen :D

Other memories from other places but they stay mine alone for now.

Beeper

Fledgling Freddie
cHodAX said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: Well said

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom