GOA will host WAR in the EU

Caracca

Fledgling Freddie
afaik did mark jacobs said that the euro servers where hosted by either Mythic or Games workshop. 2bad i can't find the quote anymore though

there also going for a world release , ala wow like

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
Well I guess us euro supporters will have decent servers and forums free of whinging then, as all the whiners are off to the US. Nice :)

There isnt an MMO on the market that doesnt have issues like connection problems, cheats and bugs.

No country could host a game for all of europe any better than GOA.

OT are not the only company that has its routing fall over once in a bluemoon, all providers suffer with it, so no one can say that another host could do better.

France Telecomm and Opentranshite do have some of the best telecommunications equipment in the world, putting BT to shame, so be glad the UK doesnt host it. However, this is an ongoing upgrade, just like anything in the IT industry, so disruption as any one in the game will tell you, is inevitable.

Customer support has improved greatly, sorry to say this but since Req, Erivoss and the current team took over from Kemor and co, things have been a lot more pleasant. In game CSRs are something that would be nice, but Im happy not paying for it ta. However, this is a new start for both Mythic and GOA, lets hope lessons are learnt and input from both sides of the pond from players has been well taken in.

Still, its over a year away (Fall(Autumn to us non-yanks) 2007), so lets not get too hasty on judging whats what yet.

Gamah

Banned
old.Whoodoo said:
No country could host a game for all of europe any better than GOA.

You heard it here first..Whoodoo, information minister for the State of GOA!

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Shike said:
as I said, it says about as much as a fart in the wind mate.. its just a statement that gives zero real information about HOW GOA will handle the support, it just says the obvious.

True I guess :)

carrot

Fledgling Freddie
Its the US servers for me .

Sorry I do not agree that goa have done a good job .

From the Qna

Q. Will Europe and the US receive patches at the same time?
A. Not only will the game be released in the US and Europe simultaneously but patches and expansions will also reach both groups of players at the same time.

I dont beleave you goa has no credability

Q. How will the European support of the game compare to the US?
A. GOA and Mythic have a contractual obligation to collaborate and share all tools and techniques that both companies have developed over the years to ensure the same high quality of support to all US and European players.

Nicely avoided answering the question just because you have the tools dosent meen your going to use them infact given the way the questions answerd its clear to me the support wont be the same.

Q. Where will European servers reside?
A. GOA has very successfully located the European servers for DAoC in one central data center near Paris. We expect this to also deliver excellent performance for WAR to players across Europe.

clearly a streight forward lie as the problems with OT (Ironicly today is very bad) still persist and are as bad and as frequent as they allways were.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
carrot said:
Its the US servers for me .

Sorry I do not agree that goa have done a good job .

From the Qna

Q. Will Europe and the US receive patches at the same time?
A. Not only will the game be released in the US and Europe simultaneously but patches and expansions will also reach both groups of players at the same time.

I dont beleave you goa has no credability
What are you on about?

Q. How will the European support of the game compare to the US?
A. GOA and Mythic have a contractual obligation to collaborate and share all tools and techniques that both companies have developed over the years to ensure the same high quality of support to all US and European players.

Nicely avoided answering the question just because you have the tools dosent meen your going to use them infact given the way the questions answerd its clear to me the support wont be the same.
Are you actually reading or just making it up as you go along, the answer is the US and GOA will have the same customer service tools, many of which GOA dont have in DAoC...

Q. Where will European servers reside?
A. GOA has very successfully located the European servers for DAoC in one central data center near Paris. We expect this to also deliver excellent performance for WAR to players across Europe.

clearly a streight forward lie as the problems with OT (Ironicly today is very bad) still persist and are as bad and as frequent as they allways were.
No lag here for ages, in fact I dont know anyone thats reported any for weeks, but then again do you know the difference between connection lag and the ZX81 freezing when you put DAoC on it or the pr0n overload you have running in the background?

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
So if they share the same tools and work closer ideas like the "Barrel quest" will be on all servers not just ones under the umbrella of GOA - nice.

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
unless GOA comes up with same good ingame support I have experienced on US daoc, noone with their senses would choose EU over US.

who wants a doomed RightNever nightmare again?

and their FAQ saying they have the same tools, is no promise of ingame GMs :(

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
I'm sure they'll do just fine.

They know that they have to address the support options in comparison to Daoc. I'm guessing this will not be as much of an issue in WAR though as they'll be working with Mythic from scratch.

Here's hoping there won't be any "invoice currently in progress" issues either. ;)

Good luck to you, GOA! See you in-game. (right?)

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Over the 4 years that we've been working with Mythic, both we and they have learnt a lot about collaborating on projects like this. While there are a lot of details to be finalised between now and the launch of the game, legal obstacles to be hurdled, technical considerations to be .. er .. considered and procedures to be thrashed out, WAR will benefit from all of that experience from the start.

The broad plan is for there to be no difference other than community based ones - language, timezones etc - between any WAR servers worldwide. Patches will be rolled out simultaneously as the game is designed to be localised from the outset and translation will run parallel with development, customer service systems and policies will be identical and any events, special content etc will be universally available. There is no hidden meaning behind any of the questions and answers, what they say is the way it is planned to happen, there's no dancing around or misdirection to be read into them.

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Over the 4 years that we've been working with Mythic, both we and they have learnt a lot about collaborating on projects like this. While there are a lot of details to be finalised between now and the launch of the game, legal obstacles to be hurdled, technical considerations to be .. er .. considered and procedures to be thrashed out, WAR will benefit from all of that experience from the start.

The broad plan is for there to be no difference other than community based ones - language, timezones etc - between any WAR servers worldwide. Patches will be rolled out simultaneously as the game is designed to be localised from the outset and translation will run parallel with development, customer service systems and policies will be identical and any events, special content etc will be universally available. There is no hidden meaning behind any of the questions and answers, what they say is the way it is planned to happen, there's no dancing around or misdirection to be read into them.

If you want a little piece of advice, then write out clearly in your FAQs that there will be ingame support by GMs within reasonable time on the EU servers, this is atleast the biggest beef I have with goa regarding daoc, compared to us daoc :)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Eversmallx said:
See ya on US ;x

Interesting thought, if the servers are at the same patch level and there will be a closer working environment for Mythic+GoA then it would make sense to have one pool of GM's working 24/7 for all US/Euro servers. <brain hurts now>

Eeben said:
im so gonna play us :)

Yah me2 if I even try it out, seems to be a copycat of WoW.. well atleast the little info I scimmed through...

Letting GoA host anything with French internet conn is a bad idea tbh, will loose customers over it. Well Mythics desicion, if they wanna loose money, fine. :)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Sneakers|Matriarch said:
Yah me2 if I even try it out, seems to be a copycat of WoW.. well atleast the little info I scimmed through...
You might want to read up a little bit more before reaching such conclusions ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Requiel said:
That's not OTs fault, it's just due to the state of internet infrastructure in Europe.
thats the point though, its not all of europe, just france and Open transit. you should seriously consider moving your servers somewhere else if you are to host the possible contender to WoW, which we all know has the biggest piece of the pie. I think Goa have done a pretty good job, they have learnt from a lot of thier mistakes, maybe a couple of years to late but i think they will do a good job with WAR, just not if they keep it in france.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Raven said:
thats the point though, its not all of europe, just france and Open transit. you should seriously consider moving your servers somewhere else if you are to host the possible contender to WoW, which we all know has the biggest piece of the pie. I think Goa have done a pretty good job, they have learnt from a lot of thier mistakes, maybe a couple of years to late but i think they will do a good job with WAR, just not if they keep it in france.
Opentransit also operate major hubs and networks in the UK, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, they aren't purely a French provider.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Opentransit also operate major hubs and networks in the UK, Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland, they aren't purely a French provider.

But its almost always the french OT routers that have the hickups ;)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Of course, the downside about having GOA Support in Paris, and the datacentre in another country is that when OpenTransit has it's 'funny five minutes', GOA would no longer be able to do support.

To be fair on OT, the last few months have been better. I only get a spike or two a night, which isn't a lot to complain about (it is always Opentransit, rather than another provider). I think what people worry about is just whether the 14 months (or whatever) of problems was the aberration, or the 5 months (or whatever) of it working fine.

Darzil

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Two reasons I will probably play US. 1st OT. It screwed up DAOC and its screwing up WoW. 2nd The translation. Mythic claim it will be released in US and EU at the same time but, when push comes to shove and the customers are baying for a patch and the translation for EU isn’t finished in 5 languages will mythic patch US and start the delayed EU patch ball rolling?

carrot

Fledgling Freddie
old.Whoodoo said:
What are you on about?

Are you actually reading or just making it up as you go along, the answer is the US and GOA will have the same customer service tools, many of which GOA dont have in DAoC...

No lag here for ages, in fact I dont know anyone thats reported any for weeks, but then again do you know the difference between connection lag and the ZX81 freezing when you put DAoC on it or the pr0n overload you have running in the background?

You only know about my pr0n overload because im streming your latest rubberfestwatersports film

And what Im on about is I dont beleave goa and although the later reply by Requiel clerifies things better than the faq , just because Requiel has to beleave what his boss tells him I dont.

Nate

FH is my second home
I wonder if GOA will offer a discount to existing daoc players, like mythic are doing..and maybe give a discount with active war accounts to daoc..gifv some info erivoss!

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
I don't know about you, but I've not had any probs with them servers residing in france. It's rare, for me, to experience opentransit problems. I haven't had many probs in the near past but some in the more distant.

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
Nate said:
I wonder if GOA will offer a discount to existing daoc players, like mythic are doing..and maybe give a discount with active war accounts to daoc..gifv some info erivoss!

Would be extra cool.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Sneakers|Matriarch said:

God kills a kitten AND a puppy every time someone says that Warhammer is a copycat of WoW when everyone who spends 3 minutes investigating the matter knows it's the Warcraft universe that's "borrowed"(not to say stole) it's look from the Warhammer universe.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Pirkel said:
God kills a kitten AND a puppy every time someone says that Warhammer is a copycat of WoW when everyone who spends 3 minutes investigating the matter knows it's the Warcraft universe that's "borrowed"(not to say stole) it's look from the Warhammer universe.

Good, I hate cats anyway, hairy little ***** :p

Phantomby

Loyal Freddie
My god...so many doomsayers...WAIT AND SEE....2007 is a long way away and i would expect some slippage / bug issues when its released.

yep the OT problems that plagued us for months on end was abysmal. seems much better but after that ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE everyone is entitled to be sceptical.
GOA's web site is pretty poor as was the overly hidden rightnow button and crap xml. Please learn some user interface design...its just awkward and confusing. (and god forbid you enter a credit card detail wrong...)

However...it not been all bad, up time is phenominal (hats off). The patch thing is just like dangling a carrot, people want what they see others have, simple psychology, so this should be sorted if it all works as intended.
Not really sure about ingame support, not really needed it except for a couple of bugged Ml steps.

I will wait, be patient and see how it all pans out nearer the time of release (like most sensible people).

If the issues with priority and OT have been resolved then all the better, knowledge of running an MMo for 4+ years sticks goa in good stead imo.

However at the end of the day it will all be about the game, if it looks too much like WoW or plays like a dog people will leave. people dont pay and play for support and patches they play for fun, excitement and interaction.

Maoix - 50 SM Glast

Blinx - 50 Ranger Cluster

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom