Science Global Warming / Climate Change

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Whats the view on the reduction of food supplies if the maniacs actually manage to drop the CO2 levels..?

What worries me more than anything is some of the ideas that people have come up with to reverse perceived AGW !!!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
As long as we are ok for the next 40 years its all good :)

The only thing that will truly get people to attempt meaningful climate change, is if we get gene therapy so we can all live to be thousands of years old. Suddenly, it's everyone's problem :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The only thing that will truly get people to attempt meaningful climate change, is if we get gene therapy so we can all live to be thousands of years old. Suddenly, it's everyone's problem :)
I dont have kids either so no investment for them too.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
we are influencing climate change, it does happen naturally over the course of the earths recent history last 200k years or so but its never risen as quickly as it has over the last 200 years (ties in with the industrial revolution) the curve is worryingly steep. the main concern is not so much all the CO2 thats getting released into the atmosphere (im not saying this is isnt a bad thing it is) its the stores of methane that are frozen across the globe that are starting to get released into the atmosphere and its a much more potent greenhouse gas. fusion is still in its infancy but it is on the verge of meaningful breakthroughs who knows the next 30-50 years we might see the first fusion reactors go into service alongside renewable sources. fossil fuels need to be phased out and that will take an obscenely long amount of time and money.

gohan

FH is my second home
Also the methane produced from mass animal farming. Cheese burgers are bad for your heart, your waist and the planet but fuck it. Tastes great

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
We don't know it has never been that steep, the science is nowhere near accurate enough, it's a clear cut case
of measuring something and panicking because you had a different presumption about what you would find.
It always reminds me of the Ulysess probe, it's first measurement was of a huge electrical storm to hit Earth, they panicked
and sent out a worldwide emergency warning, they shut down satellites, put national grids on alert.
Nothing happened, it was normal, they had just never measured it before.

Job

I see Chevron have announced they could be sued for climate change, which is obviously a carefully worded part of any future case, but I find it strange they should go after the oil companies, all they do is extract and refine it.
We burn in it in our cars, boilers and power stations, given that AGW is a 'settled' science and everybody knows about it, surely someone could sue you for starting your car or turning on the heating, I mean if you are going for an absolute of responsibility.

Oil firms could be sued over climate change

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
That will go as well as the recent action against ExxonMobil - I.e a bit of noise then will get forgotten about.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
They need to do something, scientists reckon we've only got about 1000 years left at the rate we're fucking the planet.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
They need to do something, scientists reckon we've only got about 1000 years left at the rate we're fucking the planet.

Can you cite references for that please so I can see it in context. Depending on what you believe or read, we're either a) delaying the next ice age or b) heading for a small ice age within decades.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Can you cite references for that please so I can see it in context. Depending on what you believe or read, we're either a) delaying the next ice age or b) heading for a small ice age within decades.

"17/11/2016, 15:43.
According to Stephen Hawking, our days are numbered — unless we find a new planet to live on. During a talk at Oxford Union debating society this week, the renowned theoretical physicist said that humanity probably only has about 1,000 years left before we go extinct."

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Was that in reference to global warming / climate change?

He's right though, humanity is fucked. It's the 'when' - I suspect much sooner than 1000 years. Not to worry though, there's been many mass extinctions and Earth has done just fine.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Was that in reference to global warming / climate change?

He's right though, humanity is fucked. It's the 'when' - I suspect much sooner than 1000 years. Not to worry though, there's been many mass extinctions and Earth has done just fine.

"According to Stephen Hawking, our days are numbered — unless we find a new planet to live on.

During a talk at Oxford Union debating society this week, the renowned theoretical physicist said that humanity probably only has about 1,000 years left before we go extinct.

In his 74 years, Hawking has spoken several times about our doomed fate, with the risk of things like nuclear war increasing as well as the oncoming threat of global warming. He has also warned that the development of artificial intelligence could end mankind.

Our only hope of escaping these dangers, says Hawking, is by finding another habitable planet.

"We must also continue to go into space for the future of humanity," he said. "I don’t think we will survive another 1,000 years without escaping beyond our fragile planet."

NASA launched its Kepler spacecraft in 2009, whose mission is to do just that. It was designed to search the nearby region of our galaxy for Earth-sized planets orbiting in the habitable zone of stars similar to our sun. This zone is also called the "Goldilocks zone" because it is the range where pressure and temperature are "just right" for liquid water to exist on a planet's surface.

This year, the astronomers were excited by the discovery of Proxima B, which is an Earth-size planet orbiting in the star Proxima Centauri's habitable zone. It also lies just 4.2 lighty-ears away from us, which in space terms is pretty close. So far, Proxima B looks like our best chance of escape.

Hawking's speech ended with him encouraging the students to stay curious and told them to remember to "look up to the stars and not down at your feet."

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
A major cause of our output is drivers, either people who insist of working an hours drive away or idiot parents who's poor, weak little children are incapable of walking to school.

Not that it means a lot, as a country we can only do so much and the guilt train is often misdirected. China need to sort their shit out.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not that I think we are 100% guilty for it and the fact that the ice will always retreat until the earth is in its natural state of having no ice caps (or at least, very small ones)

They are supposed to ebb and flow, thats how we have fjords.

Job

Well they've just dragged out a climate guesstimate from the 80s and are all excited about how accurate it was...firstly that quite clearly shows how all other guesstimates have been hopelessly wrong, and it took about 10 minutes for someone to point out only one small part of it was correct, and only if you ignore what was actually said and kinda guessback the conclusion.
In other words it was very slightly sort of possibly correct.
Of course we are talking Nostrodamus level of hindsight here..so..

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Funny. The loudest people in this thread are the people who don't believe the reams of evidence that continues to be produced showing unequivocally that anthropomorphic climate change is a clear and present (and expensive) danger.

But hey hoo. :)

Bodhi

That's becuase we're the ones who understand how science works :)

Bodhi

It was quite funny. I mean calling climatology "science" rather than "political advocacy", which is pretty much what it is.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It was quite funny. I mean calling climatology "science" rather than "political advocacy", which is pretty much what it is.
Clearly not. Climatologists produce science. Political advocacy may be based on the results of climate science but it's not necessarily climatologists who perform that advocacy.

Which is normal. What's the point of learning things if you don't put what you learn to use?

Bodhi

Clearly it is, unless the names Michael Mann (he of discredited hockey stick fame) and James Hansen don't ring a bell?

Job

They are claiming vast areas of methane laden permafrost are starting to melt, if theses studies are correct then it would be the first actual evidence of something that doesn't happen all the time, starting a serious chain reaction, once methane gets into the atmosphere, then the levels of co2 are irrelevant.
We will be in methane reduction territory, that's a proper greenhouse gas.

Bodhi

Surely you mean, after extensive research following much controversy, "well supported"?

#ignore'causewikilinkeh?

Lol. Bless. Quoting Wiki when it comes to Climate Change and expecting me to take you seriously. Then using Wiki to back up the hockey stick.

Want to mention 97%? You'll have a full house then.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Quoting Wiki
Let me guess. All wiki is fake news, right?

No matter how fantastically well referenced to peer-reviewed subject matter. Riiiiiight.

chimpanzee02_edit-1024x683.jpg

Bodhi

Let me guess. All wiki is fake news, right?

No matter how fantastically well referenced to peer-reviewed subject matter. Riiiiiight.

chimpanzee02_edit-1024x683.jpg

You are correct - that was a guess. Not a correct one either, but that's to be expected when you remove the qualifying statement from my post. Wiki is fine for most subjects, but thanks to the work of a chap called William Connolley, not really in Climate terms. Something about him spending 10 years removing any remotely sceptical content from Wiki.

But hey, silencing opposing views is about as scientific as it gets, isn't it?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Imagine if, after all the measures we've undertaken and are planning to take, climate change turned out to be complete bollocks. We'd have fresher air, cleaner power generation, a less polluted environment, better technology and generally healthier lives, all for what?

What a waste.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Imagine if, after all the measures we've undertaken and are planning to take, climate change turned out to be complete bollocks. We'd have fresher air, cleaner power generation, a less polluted environment, better technology and generally healthier lives, all for what?

What a waste.
True. But its not happening really is it with china making all those new coal powered generators and most of the third world unable to afford clean generation. Most of the western world just dabbling with renewables. Still burning gas and coal.

So the march towards utopia is slow and stuttering if at all.

Bodhi

What a waste.

Awesome! Shame it's got us dirtier air (dash for diesel) and power generation that doesn't really work and is even more of an environmental disaster than before (wood pellets, wind farms, solar panels). It's also strange how the massive increases in life expectancy and general quality of life we've seen recently, have been possible by cheap and easy access to abundant power. Not 3 words ever used in conjunction with renewables sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom