Science Global Warming / Climate Change

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I like to think of it in the same way as food science. One day something will kill you, the next its really good for you and vise versa depending on which report you are reading. I don't think we should be basing policy on such nonsense.

That's not to say we shouldn't be living cleaner though, we should not be raping our only planet.

The trillions spent on it is getting out of hand, imagine if we as a species put as much effort into ending cancer or getting into space properly?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Are they good? With mine there are still no rattles or squeaks inside and the drive is lovely (IS200) just want something 4x4 and bigger and was looking at them.

I have the SE-L, top spec. Pretty good. Very quiet and comfortable on the motorway. Mine has a couple of minor rattles, one somewhere on the dashboard that happens when it's been cold for a while (goes away once the car is warmed up inside). There's another rattle/squeak from the centre armrest on the rear seat but they all do that. I think some people put a cloth on the armrest and then fold it into the seat, I just leave it in the down position and it makes no noise. There's another bit of a rattle coming from somewhere around the rear boot/storage cover, the thing that you slide across so scrotes can't see what's in the "boot", but that only happens on the odd occasion.

Loads of power, trust me, if you want to nothing much will beat you at the traffic light grand prix. It has a CVT gearbox which sounds a bit odd at first but you get used to it. Most of the time the engine is pretty silent. Steering is quite vague but it's a 4x4. It isn't designed for off road use so don't go off road. Easy to park, mine has a rear view camera which is very useful. Headlights are great. Tyre life is very good, very even wear. Brakes are prone to seizure because most of the time it uses the regenerative braking to slow you down, so expect the odd bill for a new calliper or something (they're pretty cheap actually). Saying that, sometimes when you're braking to stop, if you run over a pothole it'll switch to mechanical braking—which needs slightly more input on the brake pedal—so that feels strange but you get used to it.

I've had mine for nearly two years, in that time it's had a new centre exhaust (existing fault on purchase, dealer tried to get out of it but I complained on Twitter and Lexus UK kicked their arse), a new front caliper, and the big cambelt/sparkplug service (at an indie, from memory it cost about £600 including the caliper). I'm pretty happy with mine, it's an unassuming looking car but it's very reliable and also blows Mr Audi diesel "faster than a Ferrari" into the weeds if needed.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I have the SE-L, top spec. Pretty good. Very quiet and comfortable on the motorway. Mine has a couple of minor rattles, one somewhere on the dashboard that happens when it's been cold for a while (goes away once the car is warmed up inside). There's another rattle/squeak from the centre armrest on the rear seat but they all do that. I think some people put a cloth on the armrest and then fold it into the seat, I just leave it in the down position and it makes no noise. There's another bit of a rattle coming from somewhere around the rear boot/storage cover, the thing that you slide across so scrotes can't see what's in the "boot", but that only happens on the odd occasion.

Loads of power, trust me, if you want to nothing much will beat you at the traffic light grand prix. It has a CVT gearbox which sounds a bit odd at first but you get used to it. Most of the time the engine is pretty silent. Steering is quite vague but it's a 4x4. It isn't designed for off road use so don't go off road. Easy to park, mine has a rear view camera which is very useful. Headlights are great. Tyre life is very good, very even wear. Brakes are prone to seizure because most of the time it uses the regenerative braking to slow you down, so expect the odd bill for a new calliper or something (they're pretty cheap actually). Saying that, sometimes when you're braking to stop, if you run over a pothole it'll switch to mechanical braking—which needs slightly more input on the brake pedal—so that feels strange but you get used to it.

I've had mine for nearly two years, in that time it's had a new centre exhaust (existing fault on purchase, dealer tried to get out of it but I complained on Twitter and Lexus UK kicked their arse), a new front caliper, and the big cambelt/sparkplug service (at an indie, from memory it cost about £600 including the caliper). I'm pretty happy with mine, it's an unassuming looking car but it's very reliable and also blows Mr Audi diesel "faster than a Ferrari" into the weeds if needed.
Hmmm you may of sold it to me because I adore mine, it is fantastic for how old it is and the braking you mentioned, mine does that, it's quite worrying but I got used to it. I was sort of avoiding them because I like POWAH! and if I'm spending money this time it will be the last purchase for a while. I won't be off roading I just want to be ready if the weather gets bad and I need to see mum who is out in the sticks. Also will be nice for the dog walking when we go certain places with fords etc (not the car the water).

Thanks a lot for that @Tom, just one more question what BHP is yours?

I love that this is what we're talking about in this thread but I know @Big G would understand :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Well of course you have to adjust them after finding new data, the problem is announcing a prediction that effects the fundamental growth of mankind, then finding it was wrong and saying ..ok it's right now...no it isn't, they'll have to change it again and again because we have such little understanding of the chaos.
Putting together 1000's of questionable studies, most of which are bent towards co2 being the culprit, basically saying there is no funding for studies that may result in the opposite is tantamount to science fraud.
The debate is umbalanced and the science is unbalanced by warming correctness.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The science is not at all fraudulent. The problem is that the actual scientists have a weak voice and the general public is woefully scientifically illiterate - so when you combine those two things with the strong-voiced well-funded groups with vested interests then you get the opinionated clusterfuck you have now.

I linked to the precautionary principle above - a basic risk management principle. There are difficult to quantify risks so we should be abiding by it. Add to that all we have to gain...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Hmmm you may of sold it to me because I adore mine, it is fantastic for how old it is and the braking you mentioned, mine does that, it's quite worrying but I got used to it. I was sort of avoiding them because I like POWAH! and if I'm spending money this time it will be the last purchase for a while. I won't be off roading I just want to be ready if the weather gets bad and I need to see mum who is out in the sticks. Also will be nice for the dog walking when we go certain places with fords etc (not the car the water).

I love that this is what we're talking about in this thread but I know @Big G would understand :)

GTFO!

Tom

I am a FH squatter

IIRC it's around 270bhp, all the RX400h's are the same engine and power.

One thing I forgot to mention, you may see better mpg in town than on the motorway, because the hybrid part gets a lot more use when you're pootling around. Oh and mpg, I average between 30-35mpg, mostly on the motorway. I think that's very good for a 3.2l petrol 4x4, you'd struggle to find a diesel that can compete with that while also doing 0-60 in under 8 seconds.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
IIRC it's around 270bhp, all the RX400h's are the same engine and power.

One thing I forgot to mention, you may see better mpg in town than on the motorway, because the hybrid part gets a lot more use when you're pootling around. Oh and mpg, I average between 30-35mpg, mostly on the motorway. I think that's very good for a 3.2l petrol 4x4, you'd struggle to find a diesel that can compete with that while also doing 0-60 in under 8 seconds.
One more question, what about the batteries? I will only be able to afford a similar aged one to yours so what about the battery life in them?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
In the summer it'll drive for 0.5-0.75 of a mile at around 30mph on the battery (with a light foot) before the engine kicks in. In the winter it runs for a lot less, presumably because the car is being clever by presuming you want more heat, more lights, wipers etc. It's not like a Tesla where half the car is batteries, it's just three smallish packs under the rear seat.

There are two batteries though, the main traction battery (the hybrid one), and the smaller auxiliary battery that's more like a traditional car battery. Make sure you get a new auxiliary battery because if that dies, nothing will work. They're only little because there's no starter motor and great big engine to turn over (the main battery and front motor does that). They just power the electronics that say to the traction battery and electric motors "wake up, start the car".

Don't worry about main battery failure, people often prattle on about "omg hybrid car what about when the battery dies and you have to spend five grand" - they don't die.

Job

This is posted on Jeremy Corbyns brother's weathersite.

B2ev-UdIYAA7KAM.jpg:large

Ormorof

FH is my second home
hes a politician he will say whatever he needs to say to get power/money

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
hes a politician he will say whatever he needs to say to get power/money

I'd agree with that, mainly as most of his propaganda film "An Inconvenient Truth" has been shown to be absolute bollocks.

gohan

FH is my second home
Climates don't even exist! They're a government construct to scare you into paying taxes!!!! Therefore they can't change. Init.

Genuinely tho the cartoon graph says it best. We're meat to be heading into another iceage as we're in a new geological epoch. But we've halted and reversed that movement. That the industrial revolution has done that isn't really in question, imo it's probably a good thing cos fuck having an Ice age right now! Also if it did ice up again dogger land would reappear and brexit would be void!
We do need to get it in check tho because right now it's kinda ok, if it continues we wI'll all be herding goats in the mountains while noah doesn't let anyone on his boat cos he's a right cunt!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I remember about 20 years ago that scientists were predicting Northampton would be a seaside town, due to it being in a valley. I think the sea has since moved about 3 inches (or whatever)

I am disappoint.

Edit, my main problem with the hole thing is the amount that is taken as fact with incomplete, non existent or contradicting evidence. Social and economic policy is then made on the back of it....until they change their mind again.

Oh well, we think this, or we think that, that's enough for us. Right sorted, lets spend billions of pounds chasing this then. Oh hang on its not quite right, lets spend billions on something else.

Everyone seems in a mad rush to prove it is caused by X, in many cases manipulating their data to force the results to point to X. Often completely ignoring anything that suggests it is caused by Y.

Last edited:

Bodhi

XKCD putting into perspective recent warming, and how it compared to historical changes.

View attachment 34321
It was doing well until they attached the model output to the end - as that is all future predictions are based upon. Considering the models haven't got anything right yet, I fail to see why they are taken as Gospel for the future.

And no gohan, we aren't supposed to be entering a new Ice Age, considering we haven't come out of the last one yet.

gohan

FH is my second home
Yeah fair, we're supposed to be heading back towards the next glacial maximum. Which is a cooling phase of the ice age we are currently in. Either way it's meant to be getting colder not hotter

Bodhi

Yeah fair, we're supposed to be heading back towards the next glacial maximum. Which is a cooling phase of the ice age we are currently in. Either way it's meant to be getting colder not hotter

Again no, no it isn't. Temperature has been on an upward trend since the Little Ice Age, and that stonking 1 degree rise we've had in the last 150 years, isn't really anything to get too concerned about. Certainly nothing worth jettisoning the fuel sources which civilisation was built on over.

gohan

FH is my second home
Ok well you're wrong but ok :) can't be arsed to explain the cycles to you as I feel it would be a huge waste of time.

Job

There is a reddit thread on that graph, you cannot deny how it looks, but also he has drawn nice neat straight lines for hundreds of thousands of years...then we condense it down to a few decades..so its bound to look alarming...in reality, such quick 2 degree jumps could have been made at any time in the past but have been averaged out.
Classic fudging of data really...and the rest of the rise is pure conjecture.

Anastasia

Can't get enough of FH
The graph even states that it will omit short warming or cooling spikes as being "unlikely", then proceeds to make its point by including one at the end. There is plenty of scientific opinion on both sides of the hockey stick debate. Unfortunately, any sense they might be able to impart to the public is filtered through political and commercial bodies who basically don't give a shit about anything more than four or five years hence.

As has been pointed out already though, what matters is that the temperature is rising, not why. We should certainly consider taking steps to at least reduce the factors we suspect of causing temperatures to rise. Waiting to see if this is a short warming spike sounds like a gambler's plan to me...

Job

It's a no brainer actually, we need fossil fuels at the moment, mainly because nuclear power fucked up.
No oil is far worse for civilisation than warming.

Bodhi

And warming is far less disastrous for civilisation than cooling.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
NOT IF THE SEA RISES BY 1000 METRES AND ALL THE SHARKS DROWN OMG

Calo

Part of the furniture
It's a no brainer actually, we need fossil fuels at the moment, mainly because nuclear power fucked up.
No oil is far worse for civilisation than warming.

We rather need more research in nuclear fusion as that will be the future anyway.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
We rather need more research in nuclear fusion as that will be the future anyway.
Plenty of mileage in fission. There's more to it than just light water reactors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom