Giving Up Smoking...

S

SoWat

The first requirement for giving up smoking is that you have to want to stop. Sounds dumb, but a lot of people just 'give it a go', which is a recipe for failure.

Alan Carr, in his book "How to give up smoking" puts forward a very powerful argument which is, basically, this:

When you do smoke, you are subject to cravings between ciggies. When you give up smoking, you get the same cravings. So, if you get the same cravings whether you smoke or not, you may as well not.

He puts it a lot better than that of course!

O

old.©h®°n°

i smoke but i find it is relaxing and relieves stress (im a very stressed person and basically break stuff)

anyway, at the moment until i start to feel not so shit i wont be giving up but maybe in the future.

depends if i can be arsed...
:p

B

bodhi

/me feels like the only smoker in Britain who doesn;t want to quit, and isn't even thinking about it.

W

Wij

I don't wanna stop Bods. Our lass wants me to but that's a different matter :)

T

Trem

Same here, me girl wants me 2, but i wont i tell u, i wont

B

bigbb

*stub out with shoe*

*spit*

I don't actually smokeh, me paa always told me I would one day and then give up, I can't help thinking i've been deprived.

S

Summo

Do it, bigbb. You'll love it. Men will think you're hard and women will think you're sophisticated and confident with a delicious dap of vulnerability.

Join us...

*puff*

B

bigbb

Ahhhh, can't handle the peer pressure.

*straightens baseball cap*

I'm 'cool' without the fags!

K

kanonfodda

Tried smoking once, when I was an ickle boy, didn't like it.

Never touched em since.

an I'm always 'ard.

(comes from being single I think)

D

Damini

Bah... I spent the whole of my lunchtime reading labels on jars and looking at the smoking corner with a cross between love and murder. I think I also actually read every article in the Sun newspaper, which is a task not to be laughed at.

If smoking was free. and non stinky, I'd smoke for ever and pah at the health issues. But I wanna be one of them girls that strides into a room with new clothes on, and people will stop and inhale and go, "Hmmm, you smell like a fresh summers day." Not someone that frumps in with charity shop clothes on smelling like a tramps fingers.

And yep, everytime I'm stressed I've just reached for a ciggie. I guess I'll have to find other ways to cope now. Like throwing bricks through windows....

W

Wilier

When I was a kid, we used to get twigs from the local playing field (you know, those ones which are really brittle and hollow), stuff a used filter in it, light em and puff away. We thought we were sooooooo cool. Then moved on to buying singles from the local Spar for 10p a go, seemed a rip-off at the time (like 20yrs ago) but would actually be good value now. (thats if my 'rythmatics right).

BTW, I dont smoke now.
*puff*

*cough, hack, gasp*

Clean living athlete me m8.

F

Furr

hmm iv been smoking for about 4 years, luckily have mates who go to euro zone quite alot. cheap fags. but i really want to quit now so i might buy those lozenges.

also its australia day down weatherspoons this saturday, pint of *carling* 99p

way hay drunk 4 only under a tenner

T

Trem

Aha found this thread at last.Well today is the day, i couldn't sleep again last night due to me not being able to breathe, now this might be my hayfever but mostly i think its my smoking(up to 30 a day now). So this morning while walking the dogs i decided that today is indeed the day i TRY and give up smoking:( . I was just wondering how you have gone on Damini and what methods did you use? I've bought some nicotine gum and God doesn't want me to quit if this is the most pleasant way of doing it, it tastes like dry dog poo(i imagine).

T

throdgrain

I gave up smoking regular ciggarettes about ten years ago m8. The way I did it was by simply stopping smoking. The trouble with all these "patented remidies" is they give you an excuse to fail, you know, "ah that nicorette gum was no good" etc etc.
You just got to say, "im not smoking no more". The end, then just do it im afraid. Worked for me, though I must say I was a misrable fucker for a couple of months :)

S

Summo

Nicotine gum does take the 'edge' of the craving and makes it a little easier to bear, but I'm with Throddy on this. Don't think you're going to 'try' to give up smoking, just become a non-smoker. Just don't smoke anymore.

G

gremlin

I smoke a few rollys a day (3 or 4 typical, then more if going out in the evening). Don't particularly want to stop (because I like them) but wouldn't mind cutting down.. say to just one in the evening.

Tbh the one thought that scares the shit out of me is cancer.. if anyone needs an excuse for giving up that seems fairly good one. I've been laid out since Saturday with a heavy throat infection and it really brings it home. :(

T

Trem

This is a big problem though throddy, like you said you became miserable, while im probably that miserable on a good day, i think samm is fearing for her life. I've gotta do this, the big C scares the shit outta me but more than that i worry about my heart:(

P

Perplex

Last year I gave up for 5 months (been smoking for about 11 years, and 5 months is the longest I've ever managed to stop by about 4.5 months) by using Zyban.

It's amazing stuff, and doesn't work by nicotine replacement (which is a flawed technique tbh) - yes there were a lot of health scares with Zyban but take it from me, the vast majority were a complete farce.

It's amazing stuff, you doin't even THINK about cigs

S

stu

As a lot of people have said, gum/patches/etc might ease the craving a bit, but the one surefire way to give up smoking is to actually want to give up smoking. Of all the people I've seen give up (myself included), those who actually wanted to managed it. Those that didn't always started smoking again. The first couple of weeks are difficult, but it's just a question of mind over matter - if you want to stop, then you will. gl with it.

T

Trem

Hmmmm is that on prescription perp?Another thing, do you put on weight because you pick at food and stuff more, or do you put weight on because smoking makes you poop?

P

Perplex

Originally posted by Tremor
Hmmmm is that on prescription perp?Another thing, do you put on weight because you pick at food and stuff more, or do you put weight on because smoking makes you poop?

Zyban is prescription only, costs you 35 quid on the NHS, and they will only prescribe it to you ONCE - due tot he fact it costs the NHS 3 times what you pay for the months worth of Zyban you take.

You don't put weight on because you don't even think about smoking, unlike other cessation techniques that force you to go cold-turkey (like nicotine replacement etc)

I did really want to give up, but the reason I started again was that I had very stressful exams coming up, and I needed a vice. Cigs or vodka, at least I can still revise after 10 cigs ;)

T

Trem

If I do this I will have no vices at all, I don't drink, I can't eat chocolate, and hopefully I won't smoke. Jeez I'm gonna be like Moby:(

Is wanking a vice?

Users who are viewing this thread