Sport (fuck) The Olympics

megadave

I am a FH squatter
It's not even started yet and It's already a pain in my arse.

I live not too far from the games and work quite close to stratford, the list of inconveniences seems to be growing by the day; journey to work gone from 15 minutes to over an hour, costs twice as much, can't drive or park properly in my own area, working hours extended so we can try and recoup a fraction of our losses stemming from customers being unable to drive here any more. My local park has a had world heritage site dug up and half of it closed for fucking horses, my local common now has a stables on it, not to mention surface to air missiles incase they feel need to blow up any passenger air planes over a residential area.

Rant over for now

Legaen

One of Freddy's beloved
I can relate to your pain. LOCOG have taken over our building next to Greenwich park and built a ring of steel around it. Showing armed police around was shit scary and prompted me to ask whether they had their safety catch on. Parking is now non existent for our staff as they decided they wanted all 80 parking spaces. Getting into Greenwich has always been tedious but it now takes an extra hour.

Roll on September.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
This thread is just going to turn into everyone not from London laughing at you lot who are.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Own a flat two miles from the Olympic Stadium. Fortunately I don't live in it. Couldn't be less interested in the Olympics.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Indeed, I'm very happy that I'm not even in the same country.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm constantly amused by the amount of Union-flag bedecked packaging I'm seeing on various consumer goods (everything from cereal to washing up liquid) stacked on Irish supermarket shelves. A lot of sales reps with Ireland on their "patch" won't be getting their bonuses this quarter, that's for damn sure.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Its going to be funny tho isn't it? compared to Beijing's opening ours is going to be fucking dreadful.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Have you not seen the limited edition, gold packaged fairy washing up liquid?
It makes the whole thing worthwhile...limited it is!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Biggest waste of money since the millennium dome.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Biggest waste of money since the millennium dome.

I think you'll find it's now the o2 ;)

Friends in London are giving the same comments as those here, good time for me to NOT be in London. Luckily all family work around Surrey, so it's not a massive clusterfuck there which is nice.

Job

The dome should be the first result if you type 'throwing money down the shitter' into google.
When they built it, I was like what greative genius can we muster up to fill that huge space with mind bending
exhibits that take entertainment and discovery to previously untapped heights.
Then I saw a program with a team of wazzoks crunching up red cellophane to make an imitation fire.
At that point I knew all was lost.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Dreading the Olympics too. Guh.

It's not enough that we have to pay for it and put up with where we live being completely taken over for however long, what pisses me off most is that we're essentially being told to just 'get on with it' and accept that traveling to work could change from being 20 minutes to two hours. It's absurd, why isn't there anything at all in place to help make it bearable for London residents? The most irritating thing is that normal people with normal jobs, who work the hardest for the least pay, will be EXPECTED to just leave for work an hour or more early and get home an hour or more late every day, while highly paid execs will probably be 'working from home' the whole time.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Highly unlikely it will make money as well, I am sure they will fiddle the figures to say otherwise but the people of London will know if it is true or not.

Poag

m00?
This morning Southeastern started announcing that "Please be aware that during the Olympics, there will be queues for this train service at most stations" This service being HS1...which already has queues....and standing room only.

Oh and they are changing the times of the trains, and adding in extra stops. So I now need to convince my boss that I need to alter my hours for 3 weeks, but I probably be late anyway.
Oh get an earlier train they say? I already get up at 5am and get home at 7...no ta i'll just blame SER for being crap, at least then it'd be the truth.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It will make plenty of money for the sponsors, which is all it is really about. It will make fuck all for the country except leave a legacy of badly built shit holes. Half of it is plywood and MDF painted to look nice.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
A friend of mine working in central holiday was forced to take all his holiday during the olympics as were many other staff, the rest they moved to their secondary office in basingstoke during the olympics - TFL apparently had recommended this course to many businesses o_O

"oh shit our transport infrastructure is cack, should we improve it? nah fuck it lets just tell all the locals to go do one for a month hah! AND raise their taxes! bwuiahahahaha"

Job

Meanwhile they're flattening speed bumps so the vip's don't spill their champers on the way to the corporate event.
In the original Olympics the greeks resisted roman attempts to provide facilities for the spectators, there wasn't even running water, so they built a fountain and anyone using it was branded a wimp.
No worries, just more names for the revolution book.

Chilly

Balls of steel
"oh shit our transport infrastructure is cack, should we improve it? nah fuck it lets just tell all the locals to go do one for a month hah! AND raise their taxes! bwuiahahahaha"

Retard. The transport infrastructure is alright for what it needs to do: carry the residents and expected number of visitors every day. Why would we ever build a transport system that can scale up to an event that happens less than every 30-40 years? Total waste of money. It's a few weeks, man the fuck up and be happy that all these tourists that arrive will be in hotels, renting cars, buying food, buying tat from shops, buying tickets and generally pissing their money up our wall.

Job

You mean pissing their money up corporate walls, cos they've pretty well covered every base while simultaneously getting blown by Seb Coe and porkin his bottom at the same time.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Retard. The transport infrastructure is alright for what it needs to do: carry the residents and expected number of visitors every day.

But most peak time transport on trains and in London are oversubscribed already. http://www.metro.co.uk/news/904345-...worse-as-better-trains-attract-more-commuters

Rush-hour trains travelling to and from London carried 3.2 per cent more people than they were designed to in 2011.
This figure, up from three per cent last year, has been boosted by a surge in passengers on evening peak-time trains, where overcapacity now stands at 2.3 per cent.

That's not "alright," especially considering each year it gets worse and worse (and inflation-bustingly expensive).

Embattle

FH is my second home
Generally I think it'll be good overall, although might be different if I had to drive to work since with the Olympics and the closure of the M4 it might be rather annoying. As I cycle I'll only really be affected on one day when the Time Trial is on since the main road at the top of mine will be closed.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
My view on the Olympics is, sure its a good thing for the few weeks its on... But after left feeling "was it really worth 6billion quid"? The answer is almost certainly not.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
My view on the Olympics is, sure its a good thing for the few weeks its on... But after left feeling "was it really worth 6billion quid"? The answer is almost certainly not.
Wasn't that the planned budget a few years back and aren't they now approaching double that ( give or take an odd billion hidden away in someone elses budget)?

Litmus

Resident Freddy
Last i heard the other day it actually came in under budget... But i don't know if that was under the "revised" budget our not

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom