Friday News

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
The whole argument about classic servers making it easier for casuals to compete is flawed anyway.
ML abilities and artifact charges/procs can be pretty nice however there aren't many that are as powerful as active RAs. A RR7, ML0 character in a non-ToA suit will crap all over a fully ToAed RR1, ML10 character. Every time.
ToA stuff is a lot easier for casuals to get than a high RR and that's where the difference comes in. People assume that it will be an even fight on a classic server if they have a reasonable template at 50. Not so. Casuals will still be fodder for dedicated groups who have 4-5-6 or more RRs over them. Which is exactly how it is on standard servers.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
chretien said:
ML abilities and artifact charges/procs can be pretty nice however there aren't many that are as powerful as active RAs. A RR7, ML0 character in a non-ToA suit will crap all over a fully ToAed RR1, ML10 character. Every time.

If we don't accept this, we still have one main difference: If you have ML abilities, etc. up, and the higher RR players don't: you have a better chance against a higher RR abilties, than you would have on a classic server, so you can earn a bit more RP. If you get owned by RR10s everytime: You won't have high enough RRs to have a chance. If TOA abilities give you some lucky fights, etc. you have a far better chance.

But know what is funny on so called classic servers? Underwater combat in NF. Lot less places to buy your water breathing potions. :)

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Melachi said:
err no brite

You said I was being selfish wanting a Classic server, and your right, I just said you are also being selfish not wanting a classic server though.

So the irony of this all, is that your actually laughing at yourself :<

That made me smile.

It's true, both sides are being selfish. The thing is, the people like us that are voting yes are being LESS selfish because, even in the worst case scenario, all that happens if the ToA freakos lose a small amount of the active RvR population anyway. And that's still only a maybe not a deffinite.

The people that vote no are being FAR more selfish because, if they do cause GoA to decide againast a classic server, then they've totally ruined it for us - not just a small bit like we might have possibly done but total damage because the server wouldn't exist :<

So yeah, we'e all being selfish but the people that vote no are being more selfish that us. Tight gits.

Having high Realm Rank, Master Levels, Equipment and level does not equal being competetive.

Well that's just not true. Look we can argue about this all day but the fact is mate that people do feel, and quite rightly, that unless they have all the lovely stuff ToA has to offer then they're going to find it almost impossible. No matter what any of us say, that's just the way it is for them.

So, bearing that in mind and only that, do you still think they're being unreasonable when asking for a server that's friendlier to their playstyle?

Also don't you want to try and bring the few hundred players that have gone to the US server back to the EU servers? Bring them home?
Don't forget that if they did come back they would be re-opening their EU accounts and so be able to play back on Excal and Pry again.

Finally, ( and I said this above before :p ) a worst case scenarioe would be 33% moving over for good, and Prydwen is around half the size of Excal at the moment, meaning that once we've clustered and 33% have moved (at most) we'll be looking at a server that's a bit bigger than Excalibur is now. And tonight (well last night now) we had well over 130 Mids attacking Albland and somewhere in the region of 200 Albs defending. Probably more on both sides if you could work it out properly.

So even in worst case scenario land, things are still going to be at least as active as they are now.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
That made me smile.

It's true, both sides are being selfish. The thing is, the people like us that are voting yes are being LESS selfish because, even in the worst case scenario, all that happens if the ToA freakos lose a small amount of the active RvR population anyway. And that's still only a maybe not a deffinite.

The people that vote no are being FAR more selfish because, if they do cause GoA to decide againast a classic server, then they've totally ruined it for us - not just a small bit like we might have possibly done but total damage because the server wouldn't exist :<

So yeah, we'e all being selfish but the people that vote no are being more selfish that us. Tight gits.

Imho you don't have all the facts right and accuse people without knowing anything, just to get what you want, I doubt if anyone on the board is as selfish as you.
  • Look at the decision Turbine had to make about Asheron's Call 2. If your costs are higher than income, all publishers can be forced to make a such decision. If you say, people who don't want to play on classic servers should lie, you know, it can increase the costs, and too many people lieing often to increase the costs can be problematic for the publisher. Why lie, risk all servers? If you want a new life on a new classic server you already have a chance. If all people who want classic goes to the 3rd classic servers, they wouldn't face any problems for time zone difference.
  • Some people here know, how the classic servers work. Not hope for certain kind of environment, but post about something they seen with their eyes. And they know it might be a waste of effort.
  • Some people here want different server types to happen, most of these types can be implemented. Including Cooperative server, and other alternatives mentioned by GOA (the coop-rvr crossbreed, alternatives, etc). If you vote yes for a classic server, other types won't get implemented. If you vote no and GOA needs a new english server after clustering, they might have a chance. People who prefer cooperative servers miss a lot more on normal servers than you miss if you need classic. For the coop-pvp crossbreeds, even if it is possible to create several versions of them, there is no alternatives in USA.
  • You seen some info about other server types, including the idea of cooperative and coop-pvp idea combined by one. All of them can be implemented. Why I spoke about a combined ruleset? Since it helps people who don't want or can't compete. It helps when your friends love midgard, you love Hibernia, yet you want to grp, and still exp normally without getting farmed. It allows people who like PvP elements and who like PvE only play in a nice environment. If we have money for one new server type lets spend on it something usefull.
  • You demand people to lie to GOA in a poll, if such lies cost them money, guess when they will use polls next time. See? We risk far more than playing for a month with big illusions.
RS|Phil said:
Well that's just not true. Look we can argue about this all day but the fact is mate that people do feel, and quite rightly, that unless they have all the lovely stuff ToA has to offer then they're going to find it almost impossible. No matter what any of us say, that's just the way it is for them.
  • If you are creative, and willing to work on your characters a bit, you can get important RAs, and it is often mentioned, that RAs can be more important than MLs. RvR missions, using siege engines/oil, running a battlegroup, etc. all can help.
  • Honestly, if you don't put effort to your characters, don't put time in them, don't get enough LWRP, don't get a DI bot, don't get respecc stones when you need them, you will fall behind on classic just as easily as you fall behind on normal servers. I explained why TOA can help. I can also add one more thing: TOA makes a lot of things, like Dragon Raids, etc. easier. Also making good money on classic is far harder.
  • People who played on many different server types might also add: if you can't compete and don't compete, start to request a cooperative server. You can still have friendly duels, etc. and it is very friendly for players who can't get massive LWRP, set rvr groups (people who would get farmed).
RS|Phil said:
Also don't you want to try and bring the few hundred players that have gone to the US server back to the EU servers? Bring them home?
Don't forget that if they did come back they would be re-opening their EU accounts and so be able to play back on Excal and Pry again.
  • EU classic servers don't add a huge advantage for them, they laready have characters on US classic servers and with these numbers they log on to busy servers. EU classic servers would force them to redo their new mains, and play on a less active server.
  • A new server type, based on what else was offered, and what can be possible can get players back from US, and can get new players from US. This is why, even if I love normal cooperative server, looking for Cooperative - PVP crossbreeds instead. Mythic can implement them with minimal effort if GOA wants one, and they can be a player magnet.
  • If GOA doesn't start a new server now, but spends the money on a new ad campaign for release of Darkness Rising, and it gets new players that can increase demand of new servers and server types. But by then, GOA would have more income to support them, and new players would have a chance to vote.
A lot of players started playing after TOA, if GOA spends the money on advertising, and gets new players, they will start playing well after TOA, most people who came recently like TOA, and most new people who want epic adventures in DR would probably also like it. But they might be interested in other server types.

As you see several good reasons for a solid no answer.

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinitha: Although you have some interesting points, I would vote against a coop-pvp server as well on the same grounds I'm voting against a TOA-less server. I don't want to see the playerbase more diluded. GOA should instead indeed be putting an effort into dragging new players into the game.

And RS|Phil, you're being just as selfish with your quest to kill off all the servers. It's just a matter of a point of view really. :)

RS|Phil said:
Well that's just not true. Look we can argue about this all day but the fact is mate that people do feel, and quite rightly, that unless they have all the lovely stuff ToA has to offer then they're going to find it almost impossible. No matter what any of us say, that's just the way it is for them
These people that freak out that TOA makes them miss out on so much really have to do TOA some time, instead of sit in their houses being afraid of TOA. As for getting TOAd, that's really just a matter of a couple of days hard work. Admittedly, hard work is no fun, but hey, you want to be the best of the best right? Or would you rather have instant uberpoon? Because MMOs aren't the type of game for that. MMOs are all about character development, and that takes time.

As for your little worse scenario thing, what? If people move away from the server, how can it possibly be as active as it would otherwise be? That's like saying 10 - 3 = 10..?

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Yada, yada, yada

Boring thread now.

Matter of fact: Classic server will cost the Ex-Pry cluster population.

Justify that as much as you like. Deny it as much as you like. It -will- happen.

Don't destroy the english servers.

Corran

Part of the furniture
ToA sucks if you want to roll a new toon for rvr, that is the main problem. Leveling a theurg just for rvr, and hit lvl 46, could be lvl 50 now in crafted gear and in RvR however that isnt possible because everyone meet is fully toa'd/ML'd and as such i have to do them before it viable.

So that adds what, 2months before Im on equal footing (assuming can get all ml's in that time)

Blizard

One of Freddy's beloved
Deffinately a 'NO' for Classic!
This game is the best is has ever been imo. Just people get board with certain aspects of the game and remember when DAoC 1st started and this kinda of game was new on the block so-to-speak.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Corran said:
ToA sucks if you want to roll a new toon for rvr, that is the main problem. Leveling a theurg just for rvr, and hit lvl 46, could be lvl 50 now in crafted gear and in RvR however that isnt possible because everyone meet is fully toa'd/ML'd and as such i have to do them before it viable.

So that adds what, 2months before Im on equal footing (assuming can get all ml's in that time)

Like it was said in the first post on this page, ToA adds something to the template, but those with higher RR's are in a better possition. 2 months to be on equal footing cant be quite right, youll need a higher RR to be on equal footing.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Hansmoleman said:
hmm the problem i see with the voting no is the people on this board arent the average daoc player, the people here generally care about the server theyve spent years on with a few exceptions. but your average daoc player will care about themselves thus vote yes for a classic server so they dont have to worry about getting serious equipment for themselves, they wont care about anyone else in the equation.

much like the rvr ppl did when voting for clustering :)

some ppl even with multiple accounts.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Tears said:
Like it was said in the first post on this page, ToA adds something to the template, but those with higher RR's are in a better possition. 2 months to be on equal footing cant be quite right, youll need a higher RR to be on equal footing.

yes but high versus low RR doesent make as much diffrence as having a full ToA gear versus one that dont have it.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Rookiescot said:
Ermmm ..... I started out with Muds.

No longer playing Asherons Call.
No longer playing Asherons Call 2.
No longer playing Everquest 1.
Still playing Everquest 2.
Still playing Final Fantasy XI.
No longer playing Horizons.
No longer playing Ryzom.
No longer playing WoW.

Can you please list your qualifications for an opinion please.

although its a little small, my sig piccy is for ultima iv. Other than table top and pen and paper rpgs - I used to play D&D online in 1985 via compunet, using the partyline service ( early version of irc)

during the 80s played games such as Alternate Reality, Temple of Apshai, Questron, Phantasie Series, Wizardry Series, Ultima Series....the list goes on..

started with ultima online in 1998, and have max pve level chars in Anarchy Online, Star Wars & WoW

my epeen big enough for you ?

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Azathrim said:
I see this often. Usually by people that doesn't appear to have participated much in the competitive scene.
So, let us for one and all get one thing straight:
Having high Realm Rank, Master Levels, Equipment and level does not equal being competetive.

Agree completely with this, and the rest of your post but just wanted to emphasis this bit.

I'm a casual player, I work, I have a life, I have meetings, I go out and do other stuff on occasion and yet I have still managed to cope with ToA and the MLs all the while being an actively played since day 1 of retail aug/mend specced Shaman - oh my god!!

And those people who think WoW is casual gamer friendly need to get a reality grip. WoW is exactly the same PvE grind as DAoC or any other MMOPRG, that's how you gain levels and experience.
The only difference with WoW is that if you log off in an Inn you get double xp for a length of time.
Soon as you hit lvl 25+ (there or thereabouts) you need to group in WoW if you want to go to any of the instance dungeons to complete quest arcs. And you'll certainly need help if you want to go to any of the lvl 60+ instance dungeons or get the best equipment which drops in them (unless you farm shitloads of cash and buy from the Auction Houses, which necessitates a grinding xp timesink).

Really wish people wouldn't kid themselves or anyone else that a total novice can get WoW and play to 60 on only an hour or two a day and it take any less time than it would if they came to DAoC as a total newbie. WoW is as much a time sink as any other MMORPG, that's the whole point of designers creating them - to make you want to keep playing.

PS For whoever it was wanted to know past gaming xp I shall list mine here.

Avalon - a text MUD for 4 years plus
EverQuest Live - from launch in 1999 and subsequently then on the PvP servers when they were launched
DAoC from closed Euro beta (still playing)
City of Heroes
EverQuest II
World of Warcraft
Beta tested (all closed beta) DAoC Europe, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, WoW.

Of the above, the only one I'm still playing and have continued to play throughout is DAoC because it suits me and my playing style :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Voted "no" for no other reason than that I wouldn't want to play on a classic server myself.

Axuk

Fledgling Freddie
I find this a bit confusing.

Aren't we having to cluster because there are no longer enough players to populate one UK server properly?

So why on one hand are Goa consolidating the playerbase all onto one server and then on the other talking about new servers which will dilute that population again?

The answer to dwindling customers has aways been and still is advertising and a marketing company that actually does something for the money they are paid. Try paying them on results, because the company you are using to advertise this game doesn't seem to be very effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom