Friday News

Illudian

Fledgling Freddie
Finally a good thid change :cheers:

As for classic server.. all you gotta do is put that new BB rule in currents servers and you're set.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Prefer the Home invasion server they mentioned rather than the classic. However voted 'yes, just to have a look then fo back to my main server' because thats exactly what i would proberbly.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
All the people that vote no are just plain selfish.

If you don't want to play on it, then don't!

Why do you feel the need to potentially spoil a good thing for hundreds of current players and players that would like to come and play DAoC again if they could do it without ToA?

Telling people to go the American servers would accomplish precisely the same thing population wise so I don't understand that either.

Try and think of someone besides yourself please.

Jjuraa

Banned
RS|Phil said:

Why do you feel the need to potentially spoil a good thing for hundreds of current players and players that would like to come and play DAoC again if they could do it without ToA?

Telling people to go the American servers would accomplish precisely the same thing population wise so I don't understand that either.

yeah. and youre OBVIOUSLY thinking about the good of the community aren't you.

if theres one thing worse than a hypocrite, its a stupid hypocrite.

A) why the hell should i "think of someone else"? people dont pay their monthly subscription simply to chuck it down the drain so some idiot who thinks no-toa makes him a better player is happy.

B) im pretty sure you wont be thinking of the community your killing when you abandon it for your precious classic server. its all very well and good saying "oooh but you can just vote yes and then not play on the server". but them voting yes is essentially killing the population on the server they want to play on.

C) shut up.

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
RS|Phil said:

lol at the audacity of this post.

Selfish my foot, people are entitled to vote how they want. Is it wrong to have a passion for the server you have played for a long time? Is it wrong to have a desire to see it prosper and not die out due to players seduced by the fruits of the classic server expectations?

As GReaper rightly said, in the US the classic server pop dropped dramatically, and why? Well mostly due to the fact that TOA is alot more entertaining then people give it credit. Try RvRing for one night without ML abilities and Artifacts for example.

The whole, "ToA is so much work and taking it away would make casual players flock back in their thousands!!" is complete BS, because it's a huge misconception about the length it takes to TOA a character. It takes a matter of week(s), even playing casually.

I for one am pleased to see so many people voting NO, and for the right reasons too.

Z

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Maybe a classic server would encourage some ex-players to come back and have a bit of fun.....

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
Jupitus said:
Maybe a classic server would encourage some ex-players to come back and have a bit of fun.....

That is one argument, however when you understand what a classic server actually is then you'll see why it isn't a strong one.

Classic Server is simply a server without ToA, everything else is the same. So really I don't see why that is any more reason for Ex-Players to come back and have a bit of fun, then the standard servers are. (where they no doubt have their old characters anyway, where as on a new server they would not)

LawBringer

Fledgling Freddie
Brite said:
and if the classic server comes here it ruins our current servers

nice work boy genious if you want classic servers go US

So if you go US that won't mean the population on Euro will drop - Genius! makes no difference - if ppl go US or Euro classic will still be 1 less player on server - simple.

Brite in name only I guess :)

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:

Sadly, you fail to think about the whole picture. First, at the moment about 15000 players are logged in at US servers, and about 5000 from them plays on classic, not much. It means, if we ignore the fact that people already went from EU to US classic servers reducing the demand here, and people who want to "come back to camelot" probably already did, since they have no current ties to EU servers, if they wanted classic they have a good chance, we can see the server would have a peak population of maybe 600 english speaking players maximum if it would be added to EU servers. Probably less, far less.

If we say GOA should buy the access for a new server type or rquest coding of one, would we have a better alternatives? Do we have people who waiting for their favoirte server type far longer? Would the other alternatives help to get some new players, get old ones back, make some newbies happy, who can then invite friends? Yes, they would. Can I name a new server type, that can be designed for the same costs, and would give us a MUCH better return on investment? Yes I can. Why would I support classic servers then, when I think there are far better alternatives than it, for the community?

Imagine a server, where 2 copies exist for frontier zones: One copy runs under cooperative ruleset, other runs under PVP ruleset, and each character is flagged (with a quest) to use either cooperative ruleset or PVP ruleset in frontier. Other zones would work as cooperative server. If I know well this "combined" ruleset would mean, a fully functional cooperative server, the cooperative-pvp server which was still a popular candidate, would be very friendly for both new and causal players, would have plenty of space for both insta rvr and keep warfare...

Should GOA waste money on a dieing concept, that can only cause problems for the majority or should try to look at better alternatives and with mythic make them happen? Big no vote for classic server here.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Jjuraa said:
yeah. and youre OBVIOUSLY thinking about the good of the community aren't you.

if theres one thing worse than a hypocrite, its a stupid hypocrite.

A) why the hell should i "think of someone else"? people dont pay their monthly subscription simply to chuck it down the drain so some idiot who thinks no-toa makes him a better player is happy.

B) im pretty sure you wont be thinking of the community your killing when you abandon it for your precious classic server. its all very well and good saying "oooh but you can just vote yes and then not play on the server". but them voting yes is essentially killing the population on the server they want to play on.

C) shut up.

Your argument is nonsense. The people who want to play on the current servers - like you - are still going to, so the population isn't really going to change that much. At least not permanently - oh it might drop out a little bit at first true. The people that'd swap are the people that currently don't factor into RvR because they're casual players. So where's the harm?

Most people that do shift to the classic servers would opt for the choice of playing both of them equally - personally I'd play on both servers equally, I'd probably just RvR more on a classic server as would the many, many people that simply can't ToA.

Whilst I do realise that me saying voting no is selfish is somewhat hypocritcal when I vote yes for the opppsing reasons, I'd never vote to have ToA removed from the current servers - even though it's woefully unfair on so many people.

Don't you even want to consider the people that.

A> Don't have buffbots
B> Don't have ToA
C> Don't have time to play ToA even though they do have it
D> Can't compete in RvR so don't bother RvRing.
E> Are sick of never getting a group

I don't see me leaving as harming the community. I'm assuming you mean the Realm vs Realm community? Persoanally I don't RvR beyond the BGs anyway anymore because of ToA. I'm sick of the MLs making casters too strong, and all the uber items people use, I'm sick of knowing whether I'll win a fight if I have battler or malice up. I'm sick of knowing I'll win if I have FZ up. See I have all the ToA stuf I just preferred the game without it.

I digress anyway. I just can't see a classic server harming the population (RvR population). The people enjoy it won't leave. Why would they? Why would you? You wouldn't! The people that want to try it without ToA causing all the added complications, like casual gamers - and me - would. But us leaving won't affect your game. You voting no will effect our game. It's your right but it's selfish - I'm sorry it plainly is.

Sadly, you fail to think about the whole picture. First, at the moment about 15000 players are logged in at US servers, and about 5000 from them plays on classic, not much

Er... 33% isn't a lot? I don't see where I'm failing to see the big picture.

Oh and a final thought. I'd love to play the final realm - that is one huge reason I voted yes :clap:

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
LawBringer said:
So if you go US that won't mean the population on Euro will drop - Genius! makes no difference - if ppl go US or Euro classic will still be 1 less player on server - simple.

Brite in name only I guess :)

LawBringer: if people who went to US classic servers, came back after not liking them go to an EU classic server, the new temporary drop in normal server population can make get bored with lack of action and leave, and this is a big difference. Also if people see that classic server gets a chance, and never gets successfull, but they have to wait for their favoired server types for years and feel that would get more permanent population than EU classic servers after 3 months... then I think that can be a reason for them to leave.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i voted yes as i want a third server that isnt fuck tard central camlaan. We were talking about it as a guild group and although we spent 6 months building our middy excal templates. iT would be nice to be able to spend a tenth of that time and build a classic server group without having to worry about mls/artis etc.

So i voted yes, that doesnt mean that when the classic servers come out ill instantly delete all my main chars it means ive got another server type to play on.

Variety is fun stagnation isnt.

And saying "Go play on the US servers" is about as constructive as saying "go play on the motorway". I dont have a credit card and so i cant afford to pay for a US account and as ive invested in 2 EU accounts which i cant really close i dont fancy paying for 3 daoc accounts when i could just play here.

I would like the choice and the neigh sayers will probbly be the ones that say no but when rvr onthe normal servers drop off for a few weeks will probbly flock over then whine :p

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
Don't you even want to consider the people that.

A> Don't have buffbots
B> Don't have ToA
C> Don't have time to play ToA even though they do have it
D> Can't compete in RvR so don't bother RvRing.
E> Are sick of never getting a group

A> Many of my friends don't have a buffbot, yet they enjoy the game, and they can get buffs from friends, and ask friends to log a BB for them, In several groups people use buffs from other grp members and their BBs, we have enough BBs for that.With no out of grp friend buffing you, your chances agains people who run with a DI bot, etc. is even worse than before.

B> Majority of people have TOA. If you don't have TOA, you would face a HUGE disadvantage on classic EU server: Can't activate catacombs. No groups, slower leveling, less help... Since no grps with fop and PBAOE, fastest leveling is in catacombs. Good luck with soloing in SI and Classic without any chance to get significant help, and without aid of toa drops, etc.

C> You might need some time for MLs, and other stuff, but you level faster, do epic item farming raids faster (SIDI was LOOONG even in SI times) and to have 1-2 good characters you don't have to spend too much time with TOA. People who don't have TOA don't have time to earn huge amount of LWRP and can fall behind in RAs quickly and get an even more unbalanced and even worse.

D> People who can't compete in RVR and people who don't like RVR are two groups. For first TOA makes RAs a bit less important, and MLs can be earned without direct competition. For the secound group? It adds a nice endgame to DAoC.

E> If you don't have friends and can't get a set grp, don't get outside help, etc. so can't get grps, now you can't even get buffs from a friendly player on classic servers, without catacombs, etc. you get in an even worse scenario.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
That does apply and is true but so are all the counterpoints.

That is all so subjective it's laughable matey.

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
"Inventing" a classic server instead of fixing existing problems within the game was a bad idea in the first place, so it'll get a no-vote from me. The current servers should be worked on, pulling out population to somewhere else sucks for me, I only play on one server.

MLs and ToA'ing enforces team work, a good team can go through it in 2-3 weekends, I really don't see a problem with it.

Thid change was needed. SC'ed and buffed chars already make it hard for newbies and 2L4 is just plain stupid and overpowered.

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Esselinithia said:
B> Majority of people have TOA. If you don't have TOA, you would face a HUGE disadvantage on classic EU server: Can't activate catacombs. No groups, slower leveling, less help... Since no grps with fop and PBAOE, fastest leveling is in catacombs. Good luck with soloing in SI and Classic without any chance to get significant help, and without aid of toa drops, etc.

If I recall correctly, you can activate Catacombs, and not have TOA and still be able to play. But only on the No-TOA server. (I refuse to call them Classic server as they aren't classic damnit :p)

Either way, I voted no, I have no personal interest in a TOA-less server. There'd be no end game, no MLs to do, it would be a boring "Let's go RvR all day long" server, basically.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Everybody assumes all anyone ever wants to do is RVR.

Half the people I meet on alb pryd - LIKE TO PVE. Take away the ToA zones, and you will have ALOT of people very unhappy cause our server pop has declined due to a "classic" server and they may well find it harder to pve the way they used to able too.

I was in Avalon City yesterday, and 50% of the people I was grpd with were NEW players - and you know I spoke to them about ToA, and they didnt have a problem with it. And oh yes, those 50% never played the game without ToA...

Look at the ML rush on alb pryd today - think its 5 MLs in one day ? ToA is not the time sink it used to be. In my experience, casual players are usually in the bigger pve guilds - so dont find not having a buffbot or getting PL'd a problem, as they have the numbers to compensate.

Take away those numbers.....and you may well have players leaving due to lack of pve end game - look at WoW, end game pve boring and repetative - yes I think ToA end game is good compared to wow !

Most people voting yes are imho old players, already have multiple L50s, some ToA'd - prolly scared by some horrible ML runs a year ago ( i was anyway, 1 ML takin like 9 hours is not fun). They are voting yes out of spite for past annoyances.

I think the problem is once you are ToA's & ML'd up - the game does not play like a mmorpg. I for one only pve like 5% of the time. The game plays more like counterstrike in RvR. If people get bored of the char they are playing... and want a new one...they suddenly realise its not a fps...yes it back to a mmorpg again.....C'est La Vie chaps !

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Half the people I meet on alb pryd - LIKE TO PVE. Take away the ToA zones, and you will have ALOT of people very unhappy cause our server pop has declined due to a "classic" server and they may well find it harder to pve the way they used to able too.

I like to PvE too but that's the good thing about having a serparate classic server. You can still PvE on the ToA ones. No one is taking ANYTHING away, they're just ADDING something. An RvR option for people who can't ToA.

Despite all the changes to ToA it's stil a huge pain in the arse. I was on an ML2 raid the other day and it was 2 1/2 hours into it before I got bored out of my skull and just logged. Now I aren't a "Casual" gamer. I have loads of spare time - so if I'm getting bored then I dread to think how people w/o as much time can do it.

I just want the OPTION of a classic server and I cannot see the harm. So don't understand why anyone would vote no.

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
RS|Phil said:
I like to PvE too but that's the good thing about having a serparate classic server. You can still PvE on the ToA ones. No one is taking ANYTHING away, they're just ADDING something. An RvR option for people who can't ToA.

Despite all the changes to ToA it's stil a huge pain in the arse. I was on an ML2 raid the other day and it was 2 1/2 hours into it before I got bored out of my skull and just logged. Now I aren't a "Casual" gamer. I have loads of spare time - so if I'm getting bored then I dread to think how people w/o as much time can do it.

I just want the OPTION of a classic server and I cannot see the harm. So don't understand why anyone would vote no.

You also have the OPTION of getting an american account.
You also have the OPTION of playing WoW.
You also have the OPTION of playing CS.
You also have the OPTION of going outside and do other stuff in your spare time.

There are always plenty of options. However, if a TOA-less server would open in EU, then a lot of people would go there and leave their current servers. Which results in empty normal servers, noone to do ML raids with, noone to RvR with/against. It'd be very dead and boring and it would definitely speed up the decay of DAoC. Less people results in people quitting. Results in less people. Results in people quitting. Repeat until only the core few players remains, flexing their E-Peen at eachother on the TOA-less servers.

Also, you show me someone who can't TOA. Anyone can get TOAd. Sometimes it takes a little effort than getting powerlevelled to 50, but if you have friends surely you can just /afk stick on ML raids if you can't stand it. I for one like ML raids as you meet lots of interesting people to talk to, while killing some mobs in the proces. 3 hours really isn't much, especailly compared to a Sidi raid taking all day long. You'd rather have that? Most MLs can be done in 2 to 3 hours. Sure, there's 10 of them, but they are varied, and not all last long. ML1 is doable in an hour, so is ML5 and ML10.

As for getting scrolls and artifacts, well, a little effort will be needed. Items wont come on a golden plate either on the TOA-less servers. Infact, TOA probably gets you kitted faster than TOA-less. I managed to get all items for my cleric in a single day, barring one bracelet, which I got sorted now as well. All that remains is the AC and levelling the artifacts. Levelling the artifacts is one of the two things I don't completely like about TOA. ML exp is the other.

As for your first sentence, TOA servers aren't there just for PvE. That's what a cooperative server is for. On normal servers you PvE with RvR as the future goal. Atleast, that's what I do. Take away RvR, you might as well forget about PvE as well.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
voted yes.

and to those trying to persuade people to vote no, because it will ruin the servers... bs

You keep mentioning US being the perfect alternative, if thats the case, how come you think so many will desert your server if an EU classic server opens? I tought they would have all gone to US.. ?

dont listen to the fools trying to persuade you to vote yes/no..

just think, would YOU like to play on a classic server? Thats the only question you have to ask yourself, and then vote..

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Well exactly.

"Get a US account!" Is a response I keep seeing here from the people saying it'll ruin the population of the EU servers.

Well do you think that the majority of people that HAVE gone US kept open their EU accounts? Nope. So they can no longer play on the EU servers at all.
At least having a classic server enables people to choose which server they want to play on. I'd play on both - as would most people.

You should listen to yourselves. It's pretty amusing. :p

Zede

Part of the furniture
RS|Phil said:

Says it all really, if you log because you "couldnt be arsed" this really is the wrong game for you. You obviously have no idea what so ever regarding the end game of mmorpgs - Star Wars, WoW,EQ2 for example.

You are impatient, go play cs were you can get straight into the action.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Melachi said:
voted yes.

and to those trying to persuade people to vote no, because it will ruin the servers... bs

You keep mentioning US being the perfect alternative, if thats the case, how come you think so many will desert your server if an EU classic server opens? I tought they would have all gone to US.. ?

dont listen to the fools trying to persuade you to vote yes/no..

just think, would YOU like to play on a classic server? Thats the only question you have to ask yourself, and then vote..

Lol too damn right, roll what you want on the classic server... mm ohh no buffs anymore great lets do an infiltrator thats gona be fun.

Cant wait for the flames on the forums, being ripped apart by vampiirs who still have perma buffs.

Voted : NO !

And if there was a button to say "I vote no, the idea of an alternative rules server will destroy our existing servers" i would have pushed that.

and yes, i did say Alternative rule server, thats its official title. If you want a true classic server take off all subsequent addons, thats the only way to be fair. People see the word "classic" and start to remember the old days but its not going to be like that.

USA server population has dropped by 33% on the alternative rule servers since opening... wonder why

Get yourself in the right guild and ToA isnt hard, before my druid was 50 he was ML5 with 80% of his template done and im sure many others are the same. If you just sit in a PL group for your levels then yup ToA's going to be hard but thats your choice. Some people like PvE as much if not more than RvR

But the biggest reason for a NO and not "ill have an alt there" is simply due to the fact we will not have one server per language, I expect any new server would follow the Camlan concept, one server in the english language with all european players - and you think its hard now to get a group :)

People that REALLY want to play on the alternative rule server will have purchased a USA account, those who havent would almost certainly only dabble on the new server, in which case why waste the resources and increased subs to make one ?

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Lol too damn right, roll what you want on the classic server... mm ohh no buffs anymore great lets do an infiltrator thats gona be fun.

Cant wait for the flames on the forums, being ripped apart by vampiirs who still have perma buffs.

Voted : NO !

And if there was a button to say "I vote no, the idea of an alternative rules server will destroy our existing servers" i would have pushed that.

and yes, i did say Alternative rule server, thats its official title. If you want a true classic server take off all subsequent addons, thats the only way to be fair. People see the word "classic" and start to remember the old days but its not going to be like that.

USA server population has dropped by 33% on the alternative rule servers since opening... wonder why

Get yourself in the right guild and ToA isnt hard, before my druid was 50 he was ML5 with 80% of his template done and im sure many others are the same. If you just sit in a PL group for your levels then yup ToA's going to be hard but thats your choice. Some people like PvE as much if not more than RvR

But the biggest reason for a NO and not "ill have an alt there" is simply due to the fact we will not have one server per language, I expect any new server would follow the Camlan concept, one server in the english language with all european players - and you think its hard now to get a group :)

People that REALLY want to play on the alternative rule server will have purchased a USA account, those who havent would almost certainly only dabble on the new server, in which case why waste the resources and increased subs to make one ?

Wtf? You quote me and then go on about how balance on the server will be bad? You thick? I never said anything about balance on the server, I'l lsay it again..

If an EU classic server would open allegedly it will make the standard toa server populations drop. However there is still the US classic servers to play on if you really want too.

However, for some odd reason these US classic servers dont seem to be impacting EU populations? Despite them being the perfect alternative?!?!?! I dont get it?!

Oh yeah, because US ISNT a good alternative, and you know its not..

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Can't really say anymore than Tears already has said.

No Vote from me, ToA brought a lot of new things to the game, some good, some bad.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Zede said:
Says it all really, if you log because you "couldnt be arsed" this really is the wrong game for you. You obviously have no idea what so ever regarding the end game of mmorpgs - Star Wars, WoW,EQ2 for example.

You are impatient, go play cs were you can get straight into the action.

I'm impatient having many, many ToA'd out toons? I've got all the ToA I need to play the game. I'm playing the advocate here fella and doing my best to pick apart negative arguments. Saying that I, me personally, am too impatient to play ToA is just incorrect.

I can see the other side of the coin which you don't seem to be able to do. Why? Why is it so hard to appreciate someone else's point of view?
You're fully entitled to vote no and you have. That's fine! You're standing up for you belief. I just happen to think that belief is wrong.

You can't tell me that people who are NOT interested in ToA or RvR vs High RR TOA'd players leaving the server to start again on a place they feel more suits them is a bad thing. And you can't seriously think that it'll harm the ToA and RvR as it stands. How would it? These people are NOT A FACTOR.

Because a lot of people wanted to try it and then went back to their original servers. That's not unexpected.

Moreover, if you do think that people are just going to get bored of it then come back to ToA , why try and stop them from making their own mistake? If I go and I find I'm bored within a month I'll come back, no harm done. Let me at least try it. Please!

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Deepflame said:
If I recall correctly, you can activate Catacombs, and not have TOA and still be able to play. But only on the No-TOA server. (I refuse to call them Classic server as they aren't classic damnit :p)

Either way, I voted no, I have no personal interest in a TOA-less server. There'd be no end game, no MLs to do, it would be a boring "Let's go RvR all day long" server, basically.

The system for handling subscribtions are different, and when GOA released catacombs, they said it requires TOA to be active on the account.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Melachi said:

Very good point, and this is why people who won't play on them shouldn't lie. GOA asks if you would play on them, not if you want people who want to play have access to them. So in fact, if most people wouldn't leave the old servers (majority says NO) and GOA suspect it can get old subscribers back, they have more reasons to implement it, than if they see their servers would fall appart. But if there is not enough support for it at all, they should look into other possibilities :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom