Friday News

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
[9-09-2005] The Camelot Reporter

As the tests have already begun for the new version, the moment has come to look into the possible implementation of "Classic" servers in Europe. To this end, we are asking you to answer a survey in order for us to take a decision. This week, you will also discover a change in the access conditions to Thidranki and a tip of the week giving you all the existing instanced zones.

"Classic" Server survey
As we announced in a previous Friday News, we are examining the possibility to open one or more "Classic" servers in Europe. These servers, which opened in July in the United States, are at the moment experiencing huge success. They contain no content from the "Trials of Atlantis" expansion (zones, special powers, quests, objects and artifacts - the new races remain of course). In these servers, buffs have a limited range and the /level command is not activated.
In the 13th of May Camelot Reporter, we had asked you questions from a survey Mythic had made prior to the creation of these servers. Mostly the European player community was quite interested in "Home Invasion" type servers (allowing the players to enter some zones of their enemy realms), however many were also tempted by the options adopted for the American servers. So we are making a new survey to accurately assess your interest for "Classic" servers that could be opened when the next versions are implemented on our servers. We give you a little more than 2 weeks (until Monday the 26th of September) to answer the following questions in the Surveys section of the official website :

Would you play on a "Classic" server ?

- No, this type of server is of no interest to me, I prefer to continue playing on my usual servers.

- Maybe I will give a try, but I cannot be sure I will play on it for a long term.

- Yes, I will play on it, additionally to my other servers playing.

- Yes, of course, I will quit my usual servers to play exclusively on this one.

- I have no opinion on the matter.

Change in the access conditions to Thidranki
As you might already know, Thidranki is one of the most busy battlegrounds in the game since it is accessible to characters from level 20 to 24. So it allows players using the /level command to begin with their new level 20 characters. The battlegrounds table in the RvR Manual specifies the elements present in each battleground as well as the access conditions and the realmranks limits in order to obtain realm points in these battlegrounds.
But we recently noted that players with characters fulfilling the level conditions for Thidranki are artificially increasing their realmrank in the Frontier Zone (with the help of higher level characters) to gain a disproportionate advantage over those who play normally in the battleground. It is not normal to have to confront characters with one or several realm skills activated in Thidranki.

Therefore, we decided to restore the access conditions to this battleground according to the realmranks. It will be the same system as with the levels, it will not be possible to access the Thidranki with a character with a realmrank higher than Rank 1 Level 4. And if the character has just been killed or is returning to his fortress after he passed Rank 1 Level 5 (just the same if he passed from level 24 to level 25), he will have to leave the battleground.

For information, it is only from Braemar (level 25-29) that you can meet characters with their realm skills activated ; from Wilton (levels 30-34) that characters with artifacts will be allowed to enter ; and from Leirvik (levels 40-44) that characters with Master Level abilities will have access to the battlegrounds.

Bugs Correction
There are two corrections for this week :
The one in Dun Scathaig fort, where it was taking a certain amount of time to the Lord to appear again after the fort was taken by Albion, is now solved.
The animists and the Bainshees now receive the Cloak of Arcane Talent instead of the Cloak of Warfare Talent as a reward for the quest 'In the Mouth of the Labyrinth'. This correction is taking effect only from now, but it is still possible to change the cloak where you obtained it, with Togda, in the shar labyrinth. However, this exchange has to be done before the passage to version 1.78.

Back to normal on Prydwen
Everything is slowly returning to normal on Prydwen, after a week of hard work both from part of the English technical support and the Community Managers from the other European servers. They dedicated their time and effort to restore lost objects or give compensation in gold.
After having identified the cause of the problem, all the necessary measures have been taken to avoid such an incident occurring again in the future. We apologise again to Prydwen players for the disturbance inflicted.

We remind you that if you noticed the disappearance of a quest item or an artifact, you can contact us. We also remind you that Prydwen realms were granted the maximum help for under-populated realms until the 16th of September, in order to make up for the wasted time. This means the following bonuses :
Days for a free level : 2
Camp Bonus : 120 %
RvR Bonus : 10 %
Hookpoints Purchase : 50 % reduction

Tip of the week
Instanced Zones

This week, we are offering you a little guide to the instanced zones. It will allow you to know better what you are putting foot on…

Instanced zones for Catacombs
10 instanced zones per realm are accessible from 6 zones in the Catacombs. You will of course find aurulite there. The principle of these instanced zones is that they adapt their difficulty to the character or the group entering it. However, the level of the monsters corresponds to the zone from which you access the instanced zone. For example, if you go with a level 10 character in the instanced zone Glashtin Forge, which contains monsters from level 15 to level 35, it is very unlikely that you manage to reach the entrance, and if you do, the instanced zone's monsters level will be as low as possible but still too difficult for you.
When entering the zone, a message will appear with information about the zone, adapted to the group that enters it. There are 10 levels of difficulty for each zone, adapted to groups of 4 players. For example, a zone can be adapted for a group of players of 4 players of level 16, or 4 players of level 26.
Here is the list of the zones by order of difficulty and zone that you can access them from :

Hibernia
Blathnait's Refuge (The Veil Rift)
Hammerer Hugak's Smithy (Glashtin Forges)
Broken Mirrors (The Veil Rift)
Rugnog's Haven (Abandoned Mines)
The Gnoll's Den (Abandoned Mines)
The Goblin Workshop (Glashtin Forges)
Maze of Madness (Queen's Labyrinth)
Shattered Lands (Queen's Labyrinth)
Inner Sanctum (Deadlands of Annwn)
The Deep (The Frontlines)

Midgard
Jarlsberg's Hideout (Burial Grounds)
The Thieves Den (Burial Grounds)
Wolak's Crucible (Glashtin Forges)
Rebel Half Orc Lair (Abandoned Mines)
The Haunted Halls (Abandoned Mines)
Marik's Workroom (Glashtin Forges)
Caverns of Madness (Nyttheim)
Passage of Echoes (Nyttheim)
Unrestful Tomb (Deadlands of Annwn)
Lost Passages (Otherworld)

Albion
Snyblem's Lair (Roman Aqueduct)
Plutonian Shore (Roman Aqueduct)
Lair of the Exiled (Abandoned Mines)
Shafts of Tenebrae (Abandoned Mines)
Forges of Flames (Glashtin Forges)
The Smelting Pot (Glashtin Forges)
Realm of the Damned (Lower Crypt)
The Depths of Despair (Lower Crypt)
Snarg's Grotto (The Frontlines)
Maze of Tribulation (The Otherworld)

Classic zone dungeons
10 instanced zones are accessible from the classic zone dungeons in each realm but not from the Shrouded Isles epic dungeons. You can also find aurulite in these zones, and, just as in the zones accessible from the Catacombs, you will find at the end of the corridors one monster that is slightly stronger and which generally holds several interesting magical objects. The monsters adapt to the mentioned levels just the same as they do in the Catacombs instanced zones. Here is the list of these zones, by order of difficulty, and the accessing zone :

Hibernia
The Steward's Crypt (Muire Tomb)
Serf's Folly (Muire Tomb)
Rise of Spraggons (Spraggon Den)
The Brawler's Den (Koalinth Tribal Caverns)
The Warrens (Spraggon Den)
Felena's Sorrows (Koalinth Tribal Caverns)
Ancient's Retreat (Treibh Caillte)
Shaman's Inner Sanctum (Treibh Caillte)
The Pit of Despair (Coruscating Mines)
The Forgotten Vein (Coruscating Mines)

Midgard
Tomte Prison (Nisse's Lair)
Nisse's Retreat (Nisse's Lair)
Den of Bones (Vendo Caves)
Lios' Eternal Rest (Cursed Tomb)
Liche's Unrest (Cursed Tomb)
The Lost Burrow (Vendo Caves)
Cursed Lair (Varulvhamn)
The Burrow (Varulvhamn)
Arachnid's Labyrinth (Spindelhalla)
The Master's Lair (Spindelhalla)

Albion
The Hidden Crypt (Tomb of Mithra)
Hall of Reawakening (Tomb of Mithra)
The Ritual Hall (Keltoi Fogou)
The Betrayer's Den (Keltoi Fogou)
The Beastmaster Den (Tepok's Mine)
Goblin's Cookery (Tepok's Mine)
Lair of Doom (Catacombs of Cardova)
The Arena (Catacombs of Carvoda)
Deliah's Sanctuary (Stonehenge Barrows)
Lost Wing (Stonehenge Barrows)

Task caves
These instanced zones accessible from the surface are different from those in the dungeons and those in the Catacombs zones. To access them, you have to talk to a taskmaster who will give you a quest corresponding to your level in one of these caves. You will find no aurulite in these zones, but you will gain considerable experience when your mission is accomplished.
Here is the list of these zones with their level, their location and the name of the corresponding taskmaster.

Hibernia
The Cursed Burrow (1-10) - Mag Mell (Seviria)
The Dismal Grotto (11-20) - Tir na mBeo (Jerid)
The Dark Caverns (21-30) - Howth (Nelarid)
The Accursed Caves (31-40) - Out Tir Na Nog north (Praest)
Unused Mine (41-50) - Druim Ligen (Trudan)

Midgard
Damp Cavern (1-10) - Mularn (Bernard)
Forgotten Sepulchre (11-20) - Audliten (Cheri)
Concealed Guardhouse (21-30) - Gna Faste (Bisil)
The Gossamer Grotto (31-40) - Haggerfel (Dommli)
Underground Tunnel (41-50) - Svasud Faste (Trinnan)

Albion
Burial Tomb (1-10) - Cotswold (Traint)
Forgotten Mines (11-20) - Prydwen (Prairdred)
Desecrated Grounds (21-30) - Caer Ulfwych (Mairlin)
The Funerary Hall (31-40) - Avalon Marsh (Lucir)
The Sundered Tombs (41-50) - Castle Sauvage (Trudan)

Before you explore all the instanced zones, answer our survey as quickly as possible ! Have a good weekend and a good game to all.
------------------------------------------------------

fun that they put a cap on thid after me and a meijt did each a fully sc'd bd and prawned to rr2 and killed albs+hibs there for 2 days, NEED CAP M8S :((
(yes i know im a op-freak xd) guess why they changed :[ http://f.nu/~madition/mmo/daoc/sshot396.jpg
http://f.nu/~madition/mmo/daoc/bg_bd.jpg

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
this means i get my items back ? or wah,,,

Tareregion

Fledgling Freddie
I'd like a EU classic server but highly doubt we have the population to keep it active permanently. It's probably going into the direction of Camlann.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Did I miss the mention of clustering or was it strangely absent?

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
No mention that they are even considering extending the extra XP on Pryd.

So far my ranger has not been able to benefit from the extra XP/RP's because he is still naked !!

C'mon GOA sort it out !!

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
Javai said:
Did I miss the mention of clustering or was it strangely absent?
You did not miss it. I guess progress on that was not something GOA thought would interest us.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yup good change forThid

dont think it was that widespread, must have been a pain stopping a 20-24 char xp capping out while in frontiers earning rps

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Ttillub said:
You did not miss it. I guess progress on that was not something GOA thought would interest us.

More than likely the char issues and resolutions will be with us for quite some time I suspect, I honestly cant see them clearing this backlog till the end of sept (At least).

bottler

Fledgling Freddie
if they make a classic server with OF its gonna be a huge succes i think.

NF is just retarded and boring...

Brite

Banned
and if the classic server comes here it ruins our current servers

nice work boy genious if you want classic servers go US

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
bottler said:
if they make a classic server with OF its gonna be a huge succes i think.

NF is just retarded and boring...

its not with OF still NF just without TOA

:m00:

Litmus

Resident Freddy
well i was glad we were kept well informed on the cluster status, and gonna vote no for classic.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
voted no for classic, simply cos i want my current server to stay alive...could still re-roll US if i wanted classic that bad.

Esselinithia

Fledgling Freddie
Voted no, sclassic servers lose population quickly, they would just create problems. And if someone wants them and also accepts they mean a fresh start, they have 3 servers already. Soon they will have a cluster :D

Gazon

Fledgling Freddie
In the US, roughly 50% of the players is on the 3 classic servers. All other regular servers had to be (re)clustered. We already have to cluster our servers as it is now...
Both classic and regular servers would be too thinly populated to be viable.

So no to classic.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The Thidranki is good, its nice to play like a noob there without having to worry about RR2 players! :p

As for "classic" servers, if they end up like Lamorak, Gareth and Ector, just like Camlann, then it'll be pointless. The DAoC realm requires a LOT of players to remain a fun game, something which the EU playerbase isn't exactly gaining. Maybe a German or French classic server could be useful, however English speaking players can easily get a US account. Those who really wanted the classic ruleset have moved to the US servers already.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Ttillub said:

well, what would intrest u more? getting the lost items back to your toons or get clustered first and THEN get your items back? i'd take getting my stuff back first.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Gazon said:
In the US, roughly 50% of the players is on the 3 classic servers. All other regular servers had to be (re)clustered. We already have to cluster our servers as it is now...
Both classic and regular servers would be too thinly populated to be viable.

So no to classic.

if so many ppl would move to the EU classic servers, i see no reason to keep the ToA servers alive tbh.

Ttillub

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
well, what would intrest u more? getting the lost items back to your toons or get clustered first and THEN get your items back? i'd take getting my stuff back first.

Maybe both would have been interesting enough to write about in news?
Talking about news here not order of doing things.

Zedenz

Can't get enough of FH
GReaper said:
The Thidranki is good, its nice to play like a noob there without having to worry about RR2 players! :p

As for "classic" servers, if they end up like Lamorak, Gareth and Ector, just like Camlann, then it'll be pointless. The DAoC realm requires a LOT of players to remain a fun game, something which the EU playerbase isn't exactly gaining. Maybe a German or French classic server could be useful, however English speaking players can easily get a US account. Those who really wanted the classic ruleset have moved to the US servers already.

Was going to post the same explanation but The Reaper man beat me to it.

In short, voted no also!

Neo

Loyal Freddie
Neffneff said:
voted no for classic, simply cos i want my current server to stay alive...could still re-roll US if i wanted classic that bad.
what he said. VOTE NO

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
hmm the problem i see with the voting no is the people on this board arent the average daoc player, the people here generally care about the server theyve spent years on with a few exceptions. but your average daoc player will care about themselves thus vote yes for a classic server so they dont have to worry about getting serious equipment for themselves, they wont care about anyone else in the equation.

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
I voted yes to a classic server.
Its far better for casual players.
Thats a group which has long been ignored by Mythic to their cost I might add.
Hence the success of the classic servers in the US.
You power gamers may not feel that the emigration of your RP cows is a good thing but tough shit.

Jimmyjr

Fledgling Freddie
Vote yes, With clustering there will only be 1 server for new people to go on and camlann is a bit wank tbh, an extra server would rock and finally can roll a skald 0o

Dallas

Fledgling Freddie
Cant really compare what could be EU servers to US servers tho..

Us servers took a massive kick to the teeth when 100 people or so were banned, lots of ggs "dissapeared" around that day..

Plus alot are rerolling atm, but rvr at early US primetime is still crazy..

But IF goa did a classic server, for french/german/english/spanish, with maybe individual language packs for each language, then i dont see why it wouldent work..

Personally i dont want it, but im playing on the US one allready so i voted no..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
voted no because i feel it would damage the existing servers to much, if you want "classic" go play in the US.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
How are classic servers better for casual gamers who are the RP cows?

Just as many powergamers could start on the classic servers, camping all the good Catacombs mobs and farming plenty of RPs. Check out the LWRP for Lamorak, Gareth and Ector - hardly seems casual! Remember that all the RvR guilds who wanted a fresh server without worrying about ToA also rolled on the new servers.

The fact that the Lamorak population has dropped by over a third within two months suggests that things aren't exactly great on classic servers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom