fortresses fix: load of bollocks

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Big_Liar.JPG

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Nic you seriously have to beat whoever restricts information over the head with a massive rubber cock. How the hell can us knowing why random level 39 player A got removed before random level 39 player B be a problem?.

Yeah I understand how you cant release the Renown contribution etc because people could abuse it. But how does knowing roughly when you'll be kicked to the warband have any negative effect?

too late to edit, bolded the part i missed out.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i just got a ball chewing this morning because i promised something to a customer and didn't (couldn't) deliver. its a paying customers right to bitch / whine / cry / throw a tantrum if he so chooses. if you dont like it, go read another thread

different between him and the whiners here tho is that your customer were probably not doing it for the sake of whining.

ppl on this board whine regardless if whatever is being done is a good or a bad idea.

and while this isnt the best idea Mythic have come up with, its certainly ALOT better then having the zones crash every 10 minutes, don't you agree?

ppl think the WoW boards are whiny, but its no worse then this board fgs.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Yeah I understand how you cant release the Renown contribution etc because people could abuse it. But how does knowing roughly when you'll be kicked to the warband have any negative effect?

because then u'l get "no u cant join our warband because were close to cap and only want lvl 40's.

and while i dont mind that personally, i can see why Mythic dont. they made the boon system to prevent that somewhat, and i dont think they want this temporary fix to break it.

wouldn't surprise me if parts of the calculations are if ur part of a warband or not aswell.

peo

Fledgling Freddie
To be honest though, if you aint got the gear for the resists there is no purpose to be trying to get in to the lord room as an attacker your effort would be better served downstairs killing reinforcements.

You do know there are people on the defending side as well??? Those are not npc.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
You do know there are people on the defending side as well??? Those are not npc.

yes you peon, but being a defender without wards does not count because you wouldn't need them to defend because you aint getting aoe'd off the lord now are you.

peo

Fledgling Freddie
yes you peon, but being a defender without wards does not count because you wouldn't need them to defend because you aint getting aoe'd off the lord now are you.

Perhaps think one more time at what I wrote and you responded to and see where I limited the statement to attackers.
I suspect you will find I didn't.
But being the peon you are I doubt you understand it.

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
After skim reading parts of the thread i can only say one thing: I'll wait until the changes are implemented then i'll decide if I personally consider it a bad or good change.

i.e Lets not burn any bridges before they're built eh?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
After skim reading parts of the thread i can only say one thing: I'll wait until the changes are implemented then i'll decide if I personally consider it a bad or good change.

i.e Lets not burn any bridges before they're built eh?

but it IS implemented :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
If Friday's patch is what is considered fixing forts by Mythic, I'm cancelling my subs after what I've just seen.

Slideshow. Dead.

Fortress battle is a steaming pile of shite.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Ran fairly well on my machine but there's obviously FPS issues in the forts themselves (along with the server issues). Was killed a couple of times by guards that kept vanishing, annoying...

The caps don't boot people out - if you're in the zone you stay in the zone, whatever level - just you have to get there earlier if you're lower level.

The worrying thing is what the community will do with it - I can see people yelling "only level 40 RR70+ in king gear defeding please" sooner or later with these caps if they stay in place.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Its not just that. You're standing in a safe zone away from enemies. Suddenly dead.

Why?

Because 3 champ guards have respawned and are hitting you but aren't showing on the screen.

Actually, the respawn on guards should be got rid of. Given the short length of time you have to achieve a fortress take, having champ guards respawn is ridiculous. They should be there at the start to buy time for defenders to get in but after that they should not reappear - its up to the players if they want to keep the fort or not.

Having the lord be able to run downstairs while being healed from upstairs again is also utterly borked. Tether that fucker properly, reduce his DPS or allow him to be fought downstairs.

The Lord itself is pretty much unassailable given the bottleneck of the ramp, the FPS lag which hits many people causing them to stop on the ramp blocking others from getting up.

Its hard enough getting to the point where one realm or the other can attack a fort.

All the defending side has to do is get in the lord room and laugh.

I've been generally quite patient with Warhammer and its myriad problems. We're approaching 5 months in, and the whole goal of the game - you know, the bit you work your arse off to get to, the bit that people work hard to coordinate and organise and get people together for - is still not in a fit state to play.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Which bit?

Will it be the content so that new and levelling characters are happy?

Perhaps the perma-disable issue?

Maybe there's some aspect of a particular class on the other side (or your own) that doesn't appeal to you, and you feel needs nerfing/loving?

Maybe you'd like them to concentrate on implementing solutions that encourage ORvR as opposed to ORvE?

When you tot it up, from the responses on WHA and Freddies, there's a hell of a lot of issues that apparently require urgent attention because they're breaking the game zomg!!!111eleventwelve

However, I'm assuming you mean you'd like them to fix the netcode so that it can cope with multiple hundred characters spamming disable and bunnyhopping around on both sides, and the thousands of changes in buff/debuff states, hit point levels, AP levels and such this gives rise to which all need monitoring by the server, not to mention plotting the relative positions of characters for calculating whether X Chosen is within range of Y and Z Bright Wizard's DoT spam...

I get the impression that a lot of people think programming stable netcode that can hope with upwards of 400 players doing whatever they're doing to each other in realtime is easy. I eagerly await the release of your forthcoming MMOs. I'm sure they'll be awesome.

Sorry, Raven, if this looks like it's specifically targetted at you - It's not.

Really, people, if Mythic think a hard cap on the number of people in a given zone is a necessary interim solution to ensure that at least some people get to see a fortress siege through to completion while they're working on a permanent solution, then so fucking be it.

Remember that the assault on the king is a PvE instance in any case, so once the doors are down, and the city's dealt with, anyone and everyone can have a crack at wiping on the king because they're not R40/RRwhatever and haven't got or can't wear the right set pieces to have a prayer of surviving against the kings.

/rant

Whilst I agree that programming all this is a huge and complicated task and that we should allow time for bugs to be fixed I don't see how Mythic got it so wrong.

5 years ago with DAOC we had mass RvR with very few zone crashes. A lot larger forces than seem to be able to crash a fortress. Bearing in mind that the computational stats of the servers have increased massively in last 5 years how is this a problem now? When it wasn't a few years ago.

Moore's law in reverse?

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
My bet is on collision detection. Its a huge and very demanding system.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Its all good and well that they have done this to make it work now. The problem is they promised "mass RvR" and it just isn't happening. The beta test was clearly not very effective.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
Its all good and well that they have done this to make it work now. The problem is they promised "mass RvR" and it just isn't happening. The beta test was clearly not very effective.

when does "mass RvR" start?
Think the people that took part in the battle for Praag yesterday (not the scen) on K8P would disagree with you.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
If you've got a bleeding artery, a band-aid doesn't cut it.

This supposed "fix" just backs up that i did the right thing by letting my subs lapse for a few months until they actually fix many of the issues with the game rather than sweeping them under the carpet / restricting the playerbase further.

pikeh

Resident Freddy

When did you last play, and on what server?

Pandemic

Fledgling Freddie
seems to be better still issues though, but Order on Karak Eight Peaks is now launching at least 1 fort raid pretty much every day atm

Afran

Part of the furniture
They seem more stable on KEP, they're buggy as hell though. Keep doors not spawning, Lord falling through the floor, etc.

Lembit

Fledgling Freddie
seems to be better still issues though, but Order on Karak Eight Peaks is now launching at least 1 fort raid pretty much every day atm

After midnight :D Sorry, couldnt resist.

Joking aside, its the efforts leading up the the buggy ( lord sneaking out, no doors etc) that deserves credit.

Sadly Destro managed to crash the server at our attempt, what does that make it now 12 times?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom