fortresses fix: load of bollocks

Fatload BoysDoCry

Can't get enough of FH
What a horrible change, Mythic are doing exactly what they did with DAOC at times. Instead of fixing the core problem outright, they just put in a band-aid fix regardless of its detriment to the game and hope for the best. No wonder so many people have left this game.

Fefner

Can't get enough of FH
They should of made a frontier type zone for keep stuff like in daoc, would of fixed alot of problems and kept a load of players in this game.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH
It always boils down to "how the fuck did they manage to screw up a good recipe they had going?"

As it's been said, counting on mythic's way of solving things, this "band-aid" will most likely become a permanent feature and will soon be forgotten and taken as granted.

If on the other hand, it's just something to allow things to work and will be solved later, then fair enough... remains to be seen

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Rant incoming, pissed as hell about this..

Warhammer was supposed to be mass rvr, placing caps on fort sieges will blow for casual gamers like me. "Hey guys, our realm is under attack, come defend your homeland....but only xxx number, the rest of you can go fish"

I never plan on getting to level 40, it might happen, it might not and i'll be DAMNED if i'll be TOLD i MUST be level 40 to have any chance of participating in the really fun stuff when i have been present at lots of Fort defences and i work hard and feel i contribute a lot each time. "Thanks for your participation, but we don't want you anymore, we'll give your place to some afk fucktard simply because he is level 40 rrxx...". I am a casual gamer these days, I don't have the time or the inclination to powergame to 40....

If i wanted a game which discriminated against me because of my level (and by definition ultimately my "time played") i would have chosen one which HAD SOME CONTENT I COULD ENJOY UNTIL I REACHED THE TOP LEVEL!!! This game has fuck all for level 32-39's. What little it does have i have already experienced many times over.....

More than 3 WB's? We usually have hundreds of players....all of whom were under the delusion that Warhammer was mass rvr, NOT instanced pvp in disguise (which is exactly what this cap does, turnes it into a glorified instance)..seems we were all wrong to trust that Mythic could actually get one thing right, THE main thing that makes this game appealing.

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
Fixing the game would be a start (what was the beta test for again?)

Which bit?

Will it be the content so that new and levelling characters are happy?

Perhaps the perma-disable issue?

Maybe there's some aspect of a particular class on the other side (or your own) that doesn't appeal to you, and you feel needs nerfing/loving?

Maybe you'd like them to concentrate on implementing solutions that encourage ORvR as opposed to ORvE?

When you tot it up, from the responses on WHA and Freddies, there's a hell of a lot of issues that apparently require urgent attention because they're breaking the game zomg!!!111eleventwelve

However, I'm assuming you mean you'd like them to fix the netcode so that it can cope with multiple hundred characters spamming disable and bunnyhopping around on both sides, and the thousands of changes in buff/debuff states, hit point levels, AP levels and such this gives rise to which all need monitoring by the server, not to mention plotting the relative positions of characters for calculating whether X Chosen is within range of Y and Z Bright Wizard's DoT spam...

I get the impression that a lot of people think programming stable netcode that can hope with upwards of 400 players doing whatever they're doing to each other in realtime is easy. I eagerly await the release of your forthcoming MMOs. I'm sure they'll be awesome.

Sorry, Raven, if this looks like it's specifically targetted at you - It's not.

Really, people, if Mythic think a hard cap on the number of people in a given zone is a necessary interim solution to ensure that at least some people get to see a fortress siege through to completion while they're working on a permanent solution, then so fucking be it.

Remember that the assault on the king is a PvE instance in any case, so once the doors are down, and the city's dealt with, anyone and everyone can have a crack at wiping on the king because they're not R40/RRwhatever and haven't got or can't wear the right set pieces to have a prayer of surviving against the kings.

/rant

Fizzlebutt

Fledgling Freddie
Always some kinda depressing thread going on in these forums heh. Cant you at least try to see the positive side of it or do you have to be in grumpy mode all the time.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
I get the impression that a lot of people think programming stable netcode that can hope with upwards of 400 players doing whatever they're doing to each other in realtime is easy. I eagerly await the release of your forthcoming MMOs. I'm sure they'll be awesome.
<snip>

So if your car doesn't work - you do not bring it back and ask the mechanics to fix it and get impatient if they take ages doing so, unless you are a mechanic yourself?
Or if you get undercooked food at a restaurant it is all fine and you have to accept it, unless you are a master chef yourself?
Or if your TV signal suddenly stops for a week, you do not complain unless you run your own signal service?
And you've never complained about Windows (or what OS you run) doing something awful, unless you've made your own huge OS yourself?
Seriously - that argument has never worked anywhere in real life, and neither does it here.

People pay Mythic to deliver what they advertised they would deliver.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Patient: Doctor, that emergency operation you mentioned that would save my life?
Doctor Mythic: Oh yes, we have inserted a potato into your chest, everything is fine, except if you move you will die.
Patient: ...

Nice fix Mythic

Case

Fledgling Freddie
Oh stop moaning, if you have a better workable idea why don`t you post that untill then shut the hell up with the constant whinging and whining.

At least Mythic are doing something about the problem rather than just ignoring it, hopefully they will come up with a permanent fix but in the meantime hopefully this will mean we can actually have a fortress take without the zone crashing.

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie
Oh stop moaning, if you have a better workable idea why don`t you post that untill then shut the hell up with the constant whinging and whining.

i just got a ball chewing this morning because i promised something to a customer and didn't (couldn't) deliver. its a paying customers right to bitch / whine / cry / throw a tantrum if he so chooses. if you dont like it, go read another thread

Grotnob

Fledgling Freddie
So if your car doesn't work - you do not bring it back and ask the mechanics to fix it and get impatient if they take ages doing so, unless you are a mechanic yourself?
Or if you get undercooked food at a restaurant it is all fine and you have to accept it, unless you are a master chef yourself?
Or if your TV signal suddenly stops for a week, you do not complain unless you run your own signal service?
And you've never complained about Windows (or what OS you run) doing something awful, unless you've made your own huge OS yourself?
Seriously - that argument has never worked anywhere in real life, and neither does it here.

People pay Mythic to deliver what they advertised they would deliver.

Sure you'd take your car back, and you'd either demand your money back, or demand they fix it. Fixing it is what they're doing, but it'll take a while - Most garages these days offer some sort of courtesy car whilst your vehicle is in for repairs. If you take it back to the dealership, they may even offer you an equivalent vehicle It may only have a 1.8L engine as opposed to the 2.0L engine that's in for repairs, and it may not have an MP3 player or a leather interior, but hell, you've got a car.

As far as the restaurant analogy goes, this meal isn't undercooked, it's just missing a sausage because for some reason every time they try and cook a sausage, it explodes. Again, in this sort of situation, a restaurant will offer an alternative which you're free to accept, or go to eat somewhere else.

If a TV signal goes down, you just have to be patient. You can rest assured that engineers are working on it, but if it's down for a week or more, you know it's something serious. If they manage to restore a partial service while they're working on it, at least that's better than nothing.

Windows has never done anything truly awful to my machine. Mainly because I know what I'm doing with it, however in the case of that particular analogy, Microsoft releases patches and security updates and this, that and the other pretty much daily. If that's not good enough, go install Linux, or sell your soul to the devil and buy a Mac.

Seriously, this sort of situation happens all the damned time in real life, because this is real life. The world isn't crashing because of some background fluff roleplay reason; the fortress sieges are unworkable over a certain scale because of software problems, or hardware limitations, or problems finding and resolving the actual cause of the issue.

People pay Mythic to deliver a working, playable product. They're already delivering this. What's more, they're implementing hotfixes and patches to improve it and address issues at a faster rate than any other MMO company I've ever encountered. The interim solution to the fortress crash problem is a positive step. Just imagine how pissed off people would be if they did nothing to alleviate the problem, and waited until they had a total and permanent fix a month, 6 months, a year down the line, whatever. By the time they released the fix, they wouldn't need it because the playerbase would have dropped so low that fortresses would no longer lag out.

What currently seems to be causing the problem is the community's perception of what constitutes "mass RvR", and the perception that Mythic is somehow reneging on its promises by attempting to make endgame content accessible to some, as opposed to none. You show me the MMO that delivered exactly what the release blurb said it would within a year of release, to the satisfaction of the entire playerbase, and I'll cheerfully eat my keyboard, with or without a sausage.

When all's said and done, I'd sooner have a chance at seeing endgame content than no chance at all.

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
<snip>
As far as the restaurant analogy goes, this meal isn't undercooked, it's just missing a sausage because for some reason they can't source any sausages at the moment. Again, in this sort of situation, a restaurant will offer an alternative which you're free to accept, or go to eat somewhere else.
<snip>
Matter of opinion.
People who bought and paid for a sausage will complain if they do not get sausages. But according to your statement, they can't (aren't entitled to) unless they make and deliver sausages themselves.

But for me - the meal didn't lack sausages. It was undercooked and I'm done with paying more until they cook it fully. :p

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
But for me - the meal didn't lack sausages. It was undercooked and I'm done with paying more until they cook it fully. :p

not sure if you guys are flirting with one another or talking about sausages.... :sex:

:m00:

NicGOA

English WAR Community Manager
The changes (including the fix Mythic has applied this morning) have now gone live on our servers.

I would very much like to get feedback from you after you have encountered the new caps in the field. We are closely monitoring our servers for the effects of the changes to forward them to Mythic. In addition to this I would like to include some of your feedback so any constructive comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

peo

Fledgling Freddie
What will the next cap be?
RR?
Warband?
Guild?
HP?
Resistance?
Once you start it is a slippery slope.

I'm quite certain that this is one more nail into the coffin. Limiting the amount of people that can take part in the end-game isn't a wise idea at least not if you were looking for a RvR game. The amount of crap you get if you are not 40 already and join a scenario is unbelievable and now you are not even to be allowed to take part in the rvr??? wierd for a rvr game.

Sharkith

Can't get enough of FH
It was undercooked and I'm done with paying more until they cook it fully. :p

Do so. More people should follow your lead. At the end of the day all people have to do it stop paying and go play something else. I don't see how complaning in such an unconstructive manner gets anyone anywhere.

ramathorn said:
i just got a ball chewing this morning because i promised something to a customer and didn't (couldn't) deliver. its a paying customers right to bitch / whine / cry / throw a tantrum if he so chooses. if you dont like it, go read another thread

Its a public forum when someone whines, crys and throws a tantrum surely as members of that public forum we can point that out? They are still whining, crying and throwing a tantrum and they ought to be told they are. Are you saying we shouldn't post and that only whiners should? Whats your point?

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Mabs you're an old cynic, and I suspect you are correct in this case.

This is the first and last time I will respond to the discussion about the amount of the caps, but I can tell you it is well over 3 war bands a side.

Well they need to stop the game then right now cause I have been in a fortress raid where less than that have taken part and it's still been laggy as fook. I never have lag problems even on massive keep sieges but as soon as I port to fort I have to to turn off all of the effects/names to make me atleast a little aware of what is going on. That taken into account I now can't see aoe on the floor by anyone which means I am dead.

Only last friday order had a fort attempt Destruction were at most one WB Order I doubt they had 5 WB's during the afternoon. And lag was still present, Lag = no chance at all to eliminate players and then the silly Lord plus adds.

They need to make the entrances into the lords room wider and have more than one way in.

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
So, enough players show to spawn two instances. Order wins one battle in one instance, but Destruction wins the other. Is the keep taken, or not?

The people who won, advance to the city instance (which is already capped on numbers). Those who didn't, do not. It's just a case of continuity.

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
Well they need to stop the game then right now cause I have been in a fortress raid where less than that have taken part and it's still been laggy as fook. I never have lag problems even on massive keep sieges but as soon as I port to fort I have to to turn off all of the effects/names to make me atleast a little aware of what is going on. That taken into account I now can't see aoe on the floor by anyone which means I am dead.

Only last friday order had a fort attempt Destruction were at most one WB Order I doubt they had 5 WB's during the afternoon. And lag was still present, Lag = no chance at all to eliminate players and then the silly Lord plus adds.

They need to make the entrances into the lords room wider and have more than one way in.

I echo this. We've had fortress raids with around 150 people in total at the fort before, which is equivalent to 3 WBs per side. It was shit. If that's the best that Mythic can do, then there will be very little incentive to continue with oRvR because there's just no point to it.

Vell

Fledgling Freddie
Mabs you're an old cynic, and I suspect you are correct in this case.

And do you really think that's acceptable? It's a major change to the way the end game works and the players need as much information about it as we can possibly get. Only through a complete information packages, as well as in-game experience, will we be able to plan future raids and give adequate feedback on it.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
What will the next cap be?
RR?
Warband?
Guild?
HP?
Resistance?
Once you start it is a slippery slope.

I'm quite certain that this is one more nail into the coffin. Limiting the amount of people that can take part in the end-game isn't a wise idea at least not if you were looking for a RvR game. The amount of crap you get if you are not 40 already and join a scenario is unbelievable and now you are not even to be allowed to take part in the rvr??? wierd for a rvr game.

To be honest though, if you aint got the gear for the resists there is no purpose to be trying to get in to the lord room as an attacker your effort would be better served downstairs killing reinforcements.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Nic you seriously have to beat whoever restricts information over the head with a massive rubber cock. How the hell can us knowing why random level 39 player A got removed before random level 39 player B.

Yeah I understand how you cant release the Renown contribution etc because people could abuse it. But how does knowing roughly when you'll be kicked to the warband have any negative effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom