Focus question

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
With Cl3 casters now get the opportunity to use a weapon + shield.

If a spellcrafter puts focus gems onto the weapon would it work the same as putting them on a staff or do they only work on staffs?

I'd like to think they worked, otherwise what was the point!.. but I know what mythic are like at thinking of this stuff so does anyone have a definative answer?
not just well i've not tested it but it should do please..

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Elitestoner said:
focus only can be put on staffs

Then why bother letting casters equip a sword+shield?

Waste of mythics coding time imo.. :(

thx for the answer anyway.

limpit

Fledgling Freddie
erm, for the CL melee styles for one :p

don't think a sword/shield was meant to replace the staff of a caster...

leviathane

Part of the furniture
have more ws using a staff, do more dmg etc, even with high lvl weap tried n tested and yes it's rather pointless except if wanna try n look like some rog tank in a zerg.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
it's so you can pretend you're a smite cleric :D (though you'll never match the power inefficiency even without a staff)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
In my head it's like this :

Carry a staff and get targetted first, but use less power.

Carry a weapon and shield and not get targetted first, but use more power.

Is your problem in RvR dying before you get a chance to use much power - use a weapon and shield.

Is your problem in RvR running out of power - use a staff.

Darzil

leviathane

Part of the furniture
If you die befor getting a chance to do anything, you have to wonder if you shoudl be playing a caster. Better positioning is your friend.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
leviathane said:
If you die befor getting a chance to do anything, you have to wonder if you shoudl be playing a caster. Better positioning is your friend.

Tell me, where is the safe position for an Ice Wiz ?

<grin>

Darzil

leviathane

Part of the furniture
in a tower, don't think you roll an ice wuzz for roaming fg v fg rvr, unless your bit retarded.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
You didn't actually mention fg vs fg rvr, nor did anyone else in the thread.

Or is it the only way to play this game and I missed the memo.

(Or maybe am retarded)

Darzil

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
leviathane said:
in a tower, don't think you roll an ice wuzz for roaming fg v fg rvr, unless your bit retarded.

Muyl does alreet roaming as an Icer tbh from what I have seen of him.. and he aint FG v FG either.

I may equip Sword n Shield tbh on me sorc just so I can look more like a tank, whilst I tank :)

Maeloch

Part of the furniture
Focus gems don't work on anything but staves. What equipping s/s instead of a staff gives you is two high utility sc'ing slots instead of an artifact staff with toa bonuses, focus and crappy utility.

For most casters the trade off won't really be worth it. I solo quite a bit and one of the biggest probs is front-loaded damage from stealth aggro, while power is almost totally a non-issue. Using s/s allows capped hp bonus, AF bonus, SL, etc to be squeezed into a template without gimping other stuff, so it works for me.

Mebbe would make sense in some other circumstances too, dunno (ie BD spamming grey shit for interrupts don't need focus or care about damage, but wants more AF/hps).

Chilly

Balls of steel
evzy said:
Muyl does alreet roaming as an Icer tbh from what I have seen of him.. and he aint FG v FG either.

I may equip Sword n Shield tbh on me sorc just so I can look more like a tank, whilst I tank :)
he only does alright by virtue of being a comeplete psycho and yelling "healhealheal" down Ts as he runs into a zerg and bombs.

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
im sure there got to be SOME rog wep out there with focus on? COMEON! there got to be :D

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Maeloch was running around solo with sheild + sword during the recent hib iRvR with a fair bit of success. Must admit I didnt have a clue what class he was until well into the first fight, also I had never once encountered a celt caster OR menta rr5 until then.

For casters whos race provides ambiguity (norseman, briton, celt, dwarf, HO??) I think you might do well to solo with sheild+sword regardless of the loss of focus bonus, its not like you'll run OOP often when solo. Ofc it would not be a good idea in 8v8 except perhaps at the start of the fight.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:

i am just proof that a blind monkey can sometimes find a bannana with a bit of luck.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
mmmmm banana

I always thought you exploded with grace and dignity tbh in a non violent manner!

Battleboobs

Fledgling Freddie
Basic_X said:
im sure there got to be SOME rog wep out there with focus on? COMEON! there got to be :D

i know that a cloak with 50 all focus dropped on alb, was on some ml4 step, could be bugged tho ;)

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Void959 said:
Maeloch was running around solo with sheild + sword during the recent hib iRvR with a fair bit of success. Must admit I didnt have a clue what class he was until well into the first fight, also I had never once encountered a celt caster OR menta rr5 until then.

For casters whos race provides ambiguity (norseman, briton, celt, dwarf, HO??) I think you might do well to solo with sheild+sword regardless of the loss of focus bonus, its not like you'll run OOP often when solo. Ofc it would not be a good idea in 8v8 except perhaps at the start of the fight.

about everyone on prydwen know that the rr11 celt named maeloch is a mentalist evul mentalist :)

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
You didn't actually mention fg vs fg rvr, nor did anyone else in the thread.

Or is it the only way to play this game and I missed the memo.

(Or maybe am retarded)

Darzil

:clap:

leviathane got pwned

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
Chilly said:
he only does alright by virtue of being a comeplete psycho and yelling "healhealheal" down Ts as he runs into a zerg and bombs.

Isn't that the only way? :p

I certainly remember a guildie by the name of Crazy the SM doing the same on Ventrilo ^^

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
evzy said:

you might even be able to trick people into thinkin your a tic :p

Belomar

Part of the furniture
leviathane said:
Tell me, is it arousing to you to go around and try to look big on forums?

leviathane

Part of the furniture
So, you're obviously the big dick...
...and that, on either side of you, are your balls.
There are two types of balls:
There are big brave balls, and there are little faggot balls.
Dicks have drive and clarity of vision...
...but they're not clever.
They smell pussy and they want a piece of the action.
And you thought you smelled some good old pussy...
...and have brought your two little faggot balls along...
...for a good old time. But you've got your parties muddled up.
There's no pussy here...
...just a dose that'll make you wish you were born a woman.
is just what comes to mind when you speak.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
unless you get very lucky with ROG drops from SI you wont be abe to find weapons with focus on them.

ALthough i do remember a 2 handed hammer dropped for me which had 50 mana focus :p so i suppose if you could find that illusive rog item which had the focus slots on it which matched up with your caster then you could probbly get around equipping weapons. also you can always leave the staff in the 2h slot and use its charges still.

But is it really worth it :)

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
a guildie has a small shield with +50 all focus on it.. dunno the other stats .. or even if it works.

has anyone tested? :)

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:
unless you get very lucky with ROG drops from SI you wont be abe to find weapons with focus on them.

I was actually assuming I could just SC the focus onto them (if it worked ofc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom