Flying

Are you scared of flying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marc

FH is my second home
Anyone else here terrified of flying, or am I in the minority?

Hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it. Even the smallest bit of turbulence and I start to panic

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I'm not terrified per say. I'm not fond of it, but last flight was rather pleasent.

Bigger planes, better.

Most of my flying "dislike" comes from when i was 8 and my father, such a lovely man as he was, took a swig of vodka, shoved my behind in the backseat of a cesna and said "F*ck your fears, go fly i paid for it!"

I dooooo love him so much :D

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
no only fags are scared of flying.

i remember one flight, i think was with helios (before they killed everyone) where we had some mad turbulance.

the plane must of free falled about 50m or so, all the bitches screamed :).

i love flying, for me its part of the holiday its self. the rushes of blood, dipping stomachs, the whole lot. all adds to the experience!

you need to remember you have no control and your fear wont control the plane either, so its really pointless to be scared.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
flying is the safest form of transport
etc

there is so much shit in the plane stopping it from crashing its unbelievable (example there are 3 redundancies for most things)
the only ones that crash are those that are badly maintained, and even then its due to human error.
Stay with a reputable airline and you are fine

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
I'm probably way too.. not scared, If something happend on a plane I'd prolly die cause I would be sleeping through it all.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What i find fun is the engine testing.

First they make sure it's ok.
Then they throw all sorts of junk like frozen chickens(or thawed(sp?)) in them to see there's no "small problems" and THEN they hook it up to the planes.

Umm...does anyone else find something funny about it? :D

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
if you are scared, just shag Superman and he will come save you if something happens

tris-

old.Tohtori said:
What i find fun is the engine testing.

First they make sure it's ok.
Then they throw all sorts of junk like frozen chickens(or thawed(sp?)) in them to see there's no "small problems" and THEN they hook it up to the planes.

Umm...does anyone else find something funny about it? :D

im not sure on the accuracy of this.

chucking dead chickens into an engine doesnt seem to be the most professional way to test an engine that costs tens of thousands of pounds.

Coldbeard

Part of the furniture
Not really, considering the fact that there are so few accidents compared to the insane amount of planes in the air at every time.

If I would happen to be on a plane that crash, tough luck :D

The worst part of flying is the takeoff, when the plane accelerates and gain altitude, sometimes feel like the plane is stopping in the air and is about to just fall right down again. It's also a bit intimidating when the motors are making more noise than normal!

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
I am not scared to the point that i wont fly. But I am a lot more nervous than I used to be and as a result no longer enjoy it.

/Edit A Plane i was flying on last year nearly crashed due to wind sheer flying into Gibraltar.

Shit like that doesnt help my nerves

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
oww, didnt strike me. But do you mean like scared cause you think someone will blow it up? or the old regular 80's I am so scared of flying cause I'm a retard and think god will smith us down from doing something man was not suppose to be able to do?

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
flying is the safest form of transport
etc

Yeah statisticly, but I bet statsitcly you more likely to die if ur plane crashes than if ur car crashes.

tris-

only if you get hit at 30 or less, then you can come back from the dead.

any faster your fucked :(

Heta

Fledgling Freddie
it's also more likely you die if a plane crash on you while you are driving you car then actually sitting in the plane

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I used to not be too pleased with violent turbulence, and was in planes a lot during my childhood where I experienced just about everything form (as mentioned above) airsacks (where the force on the wings that holds the plane up dissapears) to fires onboard to mechanical faults to massive storms, overshooting runways and other variations of aborted landings / takeoffs.

then I had the privilege of going with a mate on a flying lesson. That was the scariest thing I ever did in my life (worse than my bungie jump) and since then I've not been afraid in a plane again ever.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
tris- said:
only if you get hit at 30 or less, then you can come back from the dead.

any faster your fucked :(

I think the 30mph applies to getting run over not being in a car crash.

Marc

FH is my second home
Heta said:
oww, didnt strike me. But do you mean like scared cause you think someone will blow it up? or the old regular 80's I am so scared of flying cause I'm a retard and think god will smith us down from doing something man was not suppose to be able to do?

Neither

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
tris- said:
im not sure on the accuracy of this.

chucking dead chickens into an engine doesnt seem to be the most professional way to test an engine that costs tens of thousands of pounds.

Well i'm not sure that it's actually "chickens", but they do test for lift-off, stray bird accidents.

They DO chuck stuff in a running engine and after that hook it up, which is ok, you have to test it, but it's at the same time odd since...what if that chucking just broke something :)

Have to check the interweb about the testing procedure, atleast i know they test windshields(from mythbusters) with chickens.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
They DO chuck stuff in a running engine and after that hook it up, which is ok, you have to test it, but it's at the same time odd since...what if that chucking just broke something :)

They don't use the engines they test on planes that will eventually fly. They are just test engines.

Aile

Fledgling Freddie
I'm going on a 24hour journey to melbourne soonish, and although I'm quite happy with taking off and landing, its fucking turbulence that does in, why is a big metal box going at 500mph 35000ft in the air shaking around? Urgh

tris-

old.Tohtori said:
Have to check the interweb about the testing procedure, atleast i know they test windshields(from mythbusters) with chickens.

well an aeroengine is a lot different to a windshield. taken from volvos aeroengine test website -

"We also perform services in the field, such as vibration survey and trim balancing"

sorry, but no mention of chucking the carcasses of dead animals at an engine.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Mojo said:
They don't use the engines they test on planes that will eventually fly. They are just test engines.

That's what i thought, but in a document about engine testing on 747(it's like two years since i saw this program so pardon my memory leaks) they said that they do similar tests to the ones going ON the planes.

Not sure, don't quote me on that in any paper, and have to find "proof" before i say this with 100% accuracy. Or atleast 90%.

tris- said:
well an aeroengine is a lot different to a windshield. taken from volvos aeroengine test website -

Yeah i know, i know. And not comparing the two.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I love flying, always wanted to be a pilot but didnt have teh grades for it.

As others have said, its statistically very safe, but tbh I've always just found it fun. I've been in airliners, cessnas, helicopters and most things in between, always really enjoyed it, never really occured to me to be scared of it.

I dont think people are "fags" for being afraid of flying though, I mean, I'm afraid of fish for god sake lol, I used to be shit scared of the school goldfish in primary school, so I dont think its for me to mock others for thier fears :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
I am no fag but I have had two bad experiences with flying. The first was on a flight to Bulgaria in 1996 where we had engine problems and dropped about 15,000 feet in less than 2 minutes, it wasn't far off a nosedive. The second was a flight back from Cyprus 2 years ago, the flight started to get a bit rough and then all of a sudden we hit major turbulance and were shook all over the place for the next 5 minutes. A couple of elderly people became ill due to the stress and we later found out that a man in his late 40's had suffered a mild heart attack and was going to be rushed from the plane in an ambulance the second we landed and taxied to a safe spot.

Both incidents have scarred me, the first was terrifying because I seriously though we were goners and I had my whole immediate family with me at the time which makes it ten times worse. The second one has made me extremely paranoid about turbulance because I shit you not we were being tossed around something terrible to the point where people were crying.

tris-

cHodAX said:
The second one has made me extremely paranoid about turbulance because I shit you not we were being tossed around something terrible to the point where people were crying.

sounds the same as me, were you on my plane? also going to manc airport.

shit started getting thrown about then the plane free falled, was fabulous

Ezteq

Queen of OT
im not scared of it, well i wasnt when i flew but on the 1st part of my return trip i got this god awful headache and nose bleed it was the pressure, i felt like that dude in running man where his head blows up so that kind of put me off a bit tbh incase it happens again i thought i was dying honestly.

aside from that i loved it, see the clouds, ring the bell and get cute oriental hostesses bringing me sangers who could want more?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
tris- said:
sounds the same as me, were you on my plane? also going to manc airport.

shit started getting thrown about then the plane free falled, was fabulous

Yep but the freefall I guess was only 1,000 feet or so on my flight back from Cyprus. The flight to Bulgaria was fucking terrifying, the plane was a converted Russian troop plane and we later found out that this plane has a real knack for just falling out of the sky. :D If you ever goto Bulgaria don't fly with Balkan Air unless they can guartantee you either a Boeing or Airbus plane ;)

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I hate flying, I constantly tell myself I am going to die and picture how it would happen when I am on board the plane. I will happily read while flying but underneath the reading I am watching myself die over and over again.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Calaen said:
I hate flying, I constantly tell myself I am going to die and picture how it would happen when I am on board the plane. I will happily read while flying but underneath the reading I am watching myself die over and over again.

Christ, aren't you a bright little ray of sunshine! :D

Seriously man, I am never flying anywhere with you. I would end up offing myself just incase your premonitions were going to come true and we were going to die in a 600mph fireball plummeting into the sea! :D :p ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom